daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #21
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
I wish we here in Ontario had a 130 km/h limit on our motorways instead of 100, and then I would even support strict enforcement using averaging cameras.
In 1993, I drove from Niagara Falls to Belleville, then to Montreal and Quebec and then to Vermont. I noticed everyone driving at 130 km/h and went with the flow of traffic. I wasn't bothered by the Ontario Provincial Police or the Surete du Quebec even though I passed through numerous speed traps. The signs with the fine schedule listed a very high fine after 135 km/h but a much lower one between 100 and 135 km/h, so I drove as I saw Canadians driving, that is, at a very safe 130 km/h speed and with strict lane discipline.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #22
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
Maybe the speed limit is set too low at 130 km/h and an engineering study should be made to see if it should be raised to 150 km/h. <snip>
I doubt that very much. Most people only remember the fast drivers who pass them at high speeds, but not the majority in front and behind of them who do about the same speed. The same is also true for people doing stupid things in general - those are the ones you remember.

From more than one source, I heard/read that (in Austria) the vast majority of drivers don't exceed 130kmh - a lot of them actually drive slower than 130kmh. Which, of course, doesn't mean there'll be any shortage of "customers" for the police.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #23
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
In 1993, I drove from Niagara Falls to Belleville, then to Montreal and Quebec and then to Vermont. I noticed everyone driving at 130 km/h and went with the flow of traffic. I wasn't bothered by the Ontario Provincial Police or the Surete du Quebec even though I passed through numerous speed traps. The signs with the fine schedule listed a very high fine after 135 km/h but a much lower one between 100 and 135 km/h, so I drove as I saw Canadians driving, that is, at a very safe 130 km/h speed and with strict lane discipline.
I drove on I-95 in Florida last year and things were pretty similar. The speed limit was 70 mph (and even 65 mph in some parts!), but everyone was doing 75-80 mph. I saw many State Troopers on the road, but they weren't bothered by those who drove 80 mph or less.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #24
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3834

In Italy before the introduction of the "tutor" was very common to drive at 150 or even 170 km/h

When I was a kid my dad drove 160-170 most of the time. Why so? italian police was almost nonexistent on highways

Than finally came the automatic speed control on most highways and italians learned to respect the 130 km/h

Of course this annoy a small band of elitarian males which feeel they should be able to do whatever on highways

that's the reason of the proposal to raise to 150 km/h which is actually now a law, but has to be enforced at will by the highway managemente

Autostrade per l'Italia will never apply that, since they believe in a slower, smoother highways system (they invented the "tutor" system)

Therefore I believe all speed limits in Italy will remain firmly at 130

ps: speed limits in America are simply ridiculous
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #25
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

You're right: Autostrade per l'Italia will not apply the higher limit. The news tell the Brescia - Padova management (different owner) is willing to apply it. That stretch is still missing the Tutor system, and they declared they want to introduce at the same time the Tutor and the new limit.
Not mentioning, of course, that we are talking about one of the most crowded highway in Italy, mostly by trucks... I hope these are just the classic "summer silly news" to keep people chatting about nothing.

So, it seems that, even in those places where the posted limit is really too low, many drivers choose a speed around 120-130 (75-80), and no more, and enforcement applies this level of tolerance.

To be honest, in my first 2-3 years as a driver (now I'm 24), driving an Audi A6 (the best highway poseur car ) I had been always over 150, more often around 170, when traffic permitted these speeds. I've always been extremely respectful of the law, except for highway speed.
Then, thanks to the average speed controls (the Tutor we mentioned), I discovered the joy of using the cruise control, fixing the speed at no more than the posted limit.

Now I'm respectful at all, so I can complain about other people's mistakes
130 is a nice ride, and 110 is the perfect compromise between speed and fuel saving.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #26
El Tiburon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I drove on I-95 in Florida last year and things were pretty similar. The speed limit was 70 mph (and even 65 mph in some parts!), but everyone was doing 75-80 mph. I saw many State Troopers on the road, but they weren't bothered by those who drove 80 mph or less.
The problem in Florida is that lane discipline is not mandatory and people use the left lane to leisurely drive slower than the flow of traffic instead of keeping the left lane for passing, even in multilane roads.

A few years ago, the Florida Legislature passed a law requiring lane discipline but then-governor Jeb Bush vetoed it because he said he was against any law that might lead to speeding (never minding that Florida speed limits are unrealistically low).

Most state troopers will let you drive up to 80 mph (130 km/h) in a 70 mph (110 km/h) zone, except in counties like St. Lucie and Osceola, for example, where they love to collect revenue through speeding tickets using front and rear radar antennas and where you should put the cruise control at the speed limit.

Also, watch out for the white lines across the pavement. Those are "money" lines 1/4 mile (.4 km) from each other
and come in groups of three (1/2 mile or .8 km). They are used by a trooper on an aircraft with a stopwatch to clock speeders and then notify troopers on the road to pull you over and issue you a speeding ticket. Make sure that you are at the speed limit when crossing those lines.
Old August 20th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #27
El Tiburon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
In Italy before the introduction of the "tutor" was very common to drive at 150 or even 170 km/h

Than finally came the automatic speed control on most highways and italians learned to respect the 130 km/h
What are the "tutor" and the "automatic speed control" that they have in Italy?

Quote:
ps: speed limits in America are simply ridiculous
Absolutely! In America, most speed limits are set politically and not scientifically. Often they are based on faulty assumptions disproved by scientific studies, but which still persist. Other times, the insurance industry lobbyists convince leagislators to keep speed limits unreasonably low so that more traffic tickets are generated so that drivers can get points in their records which are used by insurance companies to raise premiums. Insurance companies, for example, will donate radar or lidar guns to police departments to write more tickets. Insurance also prefers lower speeds so that there is less damages to pay in accidents.
Old August 20th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #28
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19404

Quote:
What are the "tutor" and the "automatic speed control" that they have in Italy?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPECS_%28speed_camera%29
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 02:24 PM   #29
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

I drove from Belgium to Italy last month and on a lot of German highways speed limit was 130 km/h with strokes of no limitation between them...
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 02:45 PM   #30
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah a large number of Autobahns are limited to 130 km/h. I can't say I really regret it, it drives much more relaxing if you're not into racing. Besides that, they barely enforce these 130 km/h limits, there are only a few speed cameras. I've seen a highway patrol only once, and they stopped me for a random drugs check (let's face it, I'm Dutch after all, it comes with the nationality).
Old August 21st, 2010, 06:43 PM   #31
joshsam
JR

Quote:
(let's face it, I'm Dutch after all, it comes with the nationality).
Haha true, when Belgium police does controls you can almost always see a Dutch car between the stopped cars . I don't life to far from the border so I regulary see dutch cars here. Especially before newyear, the Dutch buy fireworks in Belgium...
Old August 21st, 2010, 07:52 PM   #32
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
To be honest, in my first 2-3 years as a driver (now I'm 24), driving an Audi A6
Shouldn't newly licensed drivers drive far less powerful cars? I'm pretty sure there's a law in Italy about this...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 09:41 PM   #33
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Yep, but that applied only to people getting their license after the law was passed.

What is more, new drivers shouldn't drive over 100 km/h on the highway, and that applied to me.
How wrong my behavoiur had been... one week after I got my license, I topped 230 on the A21
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 09:54 PM   #34
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I know what you're talking about. Driving instructors are generally very strict about speed, if you drive 130 km/h in a learners vehicle in the Netherlands, the instructor will tell you to slow down or taps the brake himself (I had that a few times, the SL in NL is 120 km/h).

However, the first thing people generally do, especially younger people, is test the top speed of their car, without having much experience about driving fast. Driving 160+ km/h is quite different from the grandpa driving they teach you in driving school.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:46 AM   #35
EEH
разбирач :))

Likes (Received): 8216

In Bulgaria the highway speed limit is 130 km/h. However, this is far from convenient. If going this fast, you will be constantly catching up with fuel savers, cruisers or trucks that go with 100-120. If you stick to the left lane, you will constantly be caught up with "racers" who drive with 140-150. So the safest speed and least overtaking by switching lanes is 140-145 in the left lane.

The news about this 150 speed limit in Italy came here too and the public is quite divided on whether it should be accepted or not. I don't believe it will be introduced, otherwise the highway traffic police will remain jobless.

Last edited by EEH; August 22nd, 2010 at 11:41 AM.
EEH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 05:08 AM   #36
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10403

None around here. Highest speed limit is 65mph (almost 105 km/h).

Of course though many people get to the 130 km/h mark and higher when the cops aren't around though.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:15 AM   #37
joshsam
JR

On Belgian Highways and 4 lane roads with crash barrier(expressways) speed limit is 120km/h or 74.5 mph but most of time when youre driving that speed you'll see a lot of cars zooming by at 140km/h or 87mph. Fines are high and there are regular controls but that doesn't seem to mind these people.

This comes from the US ambassy in Brussels where Amercians that travel to Belgium can find specific information over Belgium:

The maximum speed limit on Belgian highways is 120 kilometers (72 miles) per hour, but is not always posted. The maximum speed in urban areas is normally 50 km (30 miles) per hour. While Belgian authorities strictly enforce speed limits, many Belgians still drive significantly faster than the posted limit. Claims of ignorance may not prevent a significant fine for speeding, which can also lead to the vehicle being impounded if the driver is unable to pay the fine on the spot.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1044.html
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:20 AM   #38
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEH View Post
The news about this 150 speed limit in Italy came here too and the public is quite divided on whether it should be accepted or not. I don't believe it will be introduced, otherwise the highway traffic police will remain jobless.
AFAIK the 150 kph limit in Italy was proposed in a previous draft of the new Highway Code, but dropped in subsequent revisions, so it will not be introduced.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:21 AM   #39
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Only Americans need a speed limit sign every 3 km on a motorway / freeway.

In Europe, speed limits on motorways are often only posted if it is different from the default speed limit (120 - 130 km/h). For example you can see speed limit signs generally after every exit if a lower SL applies in an urban area. But you won't find many signs indicating 120 km/h in Belgium. In Germany's case, 130 km/h limits are often signed because the default speed limit there is no limit.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:24 AM   #40
joshsam
JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Only Americans need a speed limit sign every 3 km on a motorway / freeway.

In Europe, speed limits on motorways are often only posted if it is different from the default speed limit (120 - 130 km/h). For example you can see speed limit signs generally after every exit if a lower SL applies in an urban area. But you won't find many signs indicating 120 km/h in Belgium. In Germany's case, 130 km/h limits are often signed because the default speed limit there is no limit.
Actually I've only seen signs indicating 110 and 90 km/h on Belgian higways during rush hour... I never saw a 120 km/h plate ever

Tags
autostrada