daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:36 AM   #41
mediar
Digital.Creation

Likes (Received): 5336

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
AFAIK the 150 kph limit in Italy was proposed in a previous draft of the new Highway Code, but dropped in subsequent revisions, so it will not be introduced.
The point was that a few users in the bulgarian forum strated to insist that 150km/h speed limit should be introduced in Bulgaria too ( even though you can hardly call our motorways a real motorways ). It was such a fun to read their posts, that I couldn't understand whether they're talking seriosly or just making fun. Their evidences were damn stupid and pointless.

НЕ ИЗПОЛЗВАЙТЕ GOOGLE-СКИ САЙТОВЕ ЗА ХОСТИНГ НА СНИМКИ!!!
mediar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2010, 02:46 PM   #42
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
AFAIK the 150 kph limit in Italy was proposed in a previous draft of the new Highway Code, but dropped in subsequent revisions, so it will not be introduced.
It is still up there

http://corrieredelveneto.corriere.it...00196238.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediar View Post
It was such a fun to read their posts, that I couldn't understand whether they're talking seriosly or just making fun. Their evidences were damn stupid and pointless.
Same here. There are a few drivers who, as of today, drive faster than the limit, and want "legal protection" for their behaviour. So they claim that "Most of the drivers keep constantly over 130 in safety" (MOST? They're just a few, and often with lots of road rage); and the subsequent statement is that "If many people ask for this, the law must be set on the requests".

This is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard speed limits designed not on technical studies, but by popular demand (a demand which, in fact, is not so "popular" as they claim).

Last edited by Wilhem275; August 22nd, 2010 at 02:51 PM.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 02:58 PM   #43
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Apparently, I knew wrong
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:45 PM   #44
EEH
разбирач :))

Likes (Received): 8216

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediar View Post
The point was that a few users in the bulgarian forum strated to insist that 150km/h speed limit should be introduced in Bulgaria too ( even though you can hardly call our motorways a real motorways ). It was such a fun to read their posts, that I couldn't understand whether they're talking seriosly or just making fun. Their evidences were damn stupid and pointless.
What is not real about them?

Do you remember several years ago when s.o. dropped the following proposal for change of the traffic rules: even if the red light is on, you can turn right in case you are not in conflict with other vehicles in the road junction?
The people were so much enthusiasted and the officials quickly made it clear that this could be allowed ONLY if there is a sectional green light on for the right turn, which was actually the existing situation in the traffic rules.
I don't know whether this was a serious proposal (to give the drivers this loop hole for passing during red light ON) or the officials just wanted to watch the fun in the media.
EEH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:13 AM   #45
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Actually I've only seen signs indicating 110 and 90 km/h on Belgian higways during rush hour... I never saw a 120 km/h plate ever
That's because the 120km/h plate is the plate saying that the motorway has started. When entering Belgium or about any other European country for that matter, this is stated on a big sign, along with the normal and urban speed limit (90 and 50 km/h). Instead of having a sign of 120 km/h, they usually just put the "previous restrictions are over" sign, which is a round white sign with a black circle with a "/" within.

As for the "significantly faster": if 10 km/h is significant: yup, that happens a lot on motorways.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:40 AM   #46
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
This is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard speed limits designed not on technical studies, but by popular demand (a demand which, in fact, is not so "popular" as they claim).
Well, he's not really that far off, because the technical method to set speed limits is the 85th percentile study of free-flowing traffic. The speed limit is set at the speed at which 85 percent of drivers drive in a particular road when there are no obstructions because most drivers take into account road conditions to drive at the safest and comfortable speed. That 85th percentile speed is rounded off the closest multiple of 5 and there you have your technical speed limit for that particular road.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:03 AM   #47
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Only Americans need a speed limit sign every 3 km on a motorway / freeway.

In Europe, speed limits on motorways are often only posted if it is different from the default speed limit (120 - 130 km/h). For example you can see speed limit signs generally after every exit if a lower SL applies in an urban area. But you won't find many signs indicating 120 km/h in Belgium. In Germany's case, 130 km/h limits are often signed because the default speed limit there is no limit.
I believe it's because speed limits are highly variable in the US, and could be different from highway to highway, there is no real "default".
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:29 AM   #48
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEH View Post
Do you remember several years ago when s.o. dropped the following proposal for change of the traffic rules: even if the red light is on, you can turn right in case you are not in conflict with other vehicles in the road junction?
The people were so much enthusiasted and the officials quickly made it clear that this could be allowed ONLY if there is a sectional green light on for the right turn, which was actually the existing situation in the traffic rules.
I don't know whether this was a serious proposal (to give the drivers this loop hole for passing during red light ON) or the officials just wanted to watch the fun in the media.
Hehe actually turning right on a red light is allowed throughout most of Canada and the US, in precisely this manner (if you are not in conflict with other vehicles in the road junction, and provided you come to a complete stop first).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
I believe it's because speed limits are highly variable in the US, and could be different from highway to highway, there is no real "default".
Yeah, neither Canada nor the US really has a default freeway/motorway speed limit, since there isn't really a uniform standard for what actually comprises a freeway. There are many systems in place (for example, the Interstate system in the US, or regional systems like the 400-series in Ontario) that do have agreed-upon standards, but still, there is no one standard unfortunately. We don't even have a "motorway begins/ends" sign that's standard, so speed limits have to be signed. The only default speed limits around here are urban and rural (in Ontario they are 50 km/h and 80 km/h, respectively, but it can vary).
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:29 AM   #49
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Most motorways which are designed according to the 1968 Vienna treaty on roads are safe to a speed of 160 km/h / 100 mph based on their road characteristics such as horizontal and vertical radius, cross section and superelevation.

However, this means no one should drive faster: the 160 should be a V100: 100% of traffic is driving this speed or slower. Normally maximum speeds are mostly a V85: it is accepted that 15% of traffic is speeding, which results in a lower maximum speed. Just that V99 will be around 160. A V85 of 130 km/h is under normal curcomstances not a problem for well designed and well maintained motorways. Raising the limit up to 150 or 160 makes section control neccesary, to be sure that V99 will still be around 160.

I like the German system most: giving more responsibility to the driver, resulting in a gradual drawback from insurance refunds if you loose your sensibility. However, no €a$h-systems installed just for ripping drivers off just like the Dutch section control which enforces a V100 of 120 km/h (75 mph), 100 km/h (62 mph) or even 80 km/h (50 mph)...
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:57 AM   #50
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
However, no €a$h-systems installed just for ripping drivers off just like the Dutch section control which enforces a V100 of 120 km/h (75 mph), 100 km/h (62 mph) or even 80 km/h (50 mph)...
When I got off the highway in the Netherlands onto a country ("national") road, I was greeted by a series of boards reminding me that the speed limit is 80. there was a woman, on another one a kid, and then a policeman. To the last one someone simply added an Adolf-like moustache, which was commented by my Dutch hosts much as you did above.

It was the N224 here: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=ede&oe...,0.181789&z=13 . I really don't get why the 3 or 4km section has a speed limit of 80km/h: the road is flat and straight, and bicycle lane is separated by a wide ditch.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:03 PM   #51
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
And this actually (signing the speed, instead of cancelling back to the default) would be very welcome in EU. I live 15km from France, 80km from Luxembourg and 120 from Belgium. I need to remember the set of default speeds (minimum three per country) in each of them (save for Luxembourg, which seems to have no traffic policemen and/or fear of tickets ).

I'd be glad to see 120 in Belgium instead of the "/" sign. It wouldn't cost extra.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:06 PM   #52
Dase

Likes (Received): 61

#44: Actually, this works pretty well in Germany with the "Green Arrow" inherited from the former GDR. If there is a green right arrow at the right light, you have to stop, but can immediately start again slowly provided you are not conflicting with any other traffic participant. No problems at all.
Dase no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:22 PM   #53
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
The speed limit is set at the speed at which 85 percent of drivers drive in a particular road when there are no obstructions because most drivers take into account road conditions to drive at the safest and comfortable speed.
Right, and I said, 85% of italian drivers is not, nowadays, driving over 130.

I am a nice tester, since in normal conditions my average is often an exact 130 or little less: the number of cars I pass is way much higher than that of those who pass me.

And since those few are often acting like racers, or not keeping a safe distance at any time, or not able to keep safely those speeds, I'd be glad if their behaviour would remain unlawful AND enforcing made with average control
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:26 PM   #54
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
The double-nickel (55 mph) national speed limit was set in 1974 as a way to save gasoline after the 1873 oil crisis and was widely ignored but was enforced because states who didn't enforce it lost a portion of their federal highway money.

In urban limited-access highways, the speed limit should be whatever is safe for the design and characteristics of the road and the road conditions. When there is congestion, the congestion itself regulates the speed limit by forcing drivers to slow down without the need for any sign, so there is really no need to set different speed limits based on the character of the area outside the highway.
I would agree with that because urban speed limits range 45-60mph because of traffic during peak times being heavy. However other times you will have a hard time finding anybody doing that limit especially at night.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #55
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Meanwhile, Poland and Bulgaria have the 140 km/h general motorway limit.
What about the 85 mph in Texas?
Any other progress?
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #56
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Once I saw a motorway in Iraq with a speed limit of 140 km/h.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #57
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Main example is: some parts of the Autobahnen have no posted limits, BUT 130 is posted as a suggested speed; this has a legal meaning, since if you get involved in an accident (even with no personal fault) and the Police have evidence that you were travelling in excess of 130, you may be held a part of responsibility, and your insurance might refuse to pay.
So, the point is: do it at your own, huge risk.
Even Germans often are not aware of it but this can happen any time you start your motor. You can also be ruled at fault when you go 60 in a 120 zone and cause an accident that way. The 130 doesn't really protect you of anything if you stick to it.

As for the situation in Italy, every time I'm there I'm getting past left and right while I'm already doing 160. Unless the situation has changed massively since I was there last raising (or even lifting) the speed limit would simply mandate what is happening anyways.
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #58
Stahlsturm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
I do think that 150 or 160 is a little excessive.
I'm sometimes still in 3rd gear at 160... :P
This morning I went to work doing 190. When you pay attention even trucks pulling out or sleepy drivers aren't a big deal. I had to use the brakes once, all the other times I simply took my foot off the gas pedal and let my car roll until the line was free again.
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #59
Stahlsturm

Quote:
"Most of the drivers keep constantly over 130 in safety" (MOST? They're just a few, and often with lots of road rage);
So you think people go faster than 130 when they suffer road rage ?
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #60
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Once I saw a motorway in Iraq with a speed limit of 140 km/h.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrada