daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 14th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #81
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre diablo View Post

That's going into a dangerous territory because people always drive faster than the speed limit.
Most people drive 80 anyway. So now we might get away with doing 90 mph...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #82
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre diablo View Post

That's going into a dangerous territory because people always drive faster than the speed limit.
Not really. Most people feel most comfortable around 130 km/h, so they are just going to drive that speed even if the speed limit is 160.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
Actually you don't need signs that state the standard speed-limit and it will be odd to have them. If the law says 140 on this type of road, you put signs only where the speed limit is different. And then, seeing this sign will mean that after it the speed-limit is again 140 km/h. Same as in the towns and villages - you don't have the 50 km/h sign at every corner, do you?
But not replacing the old border information signage about speed-limits or not having such at all is a great fault of the authorities...
Yes, I know it's the default limit, but most countries display these signs. In Spain, for example, there are 120 km/h signs everywhere. They are a lot rarer in Italy or the UK, but they are in all border crossings.

BTW, in 2007 I saw a border speed limit sign in Punta Ala, Italy, displaying old Italian speed limits (which varied on the displacement of the engine). Vehicles with engines bigger than 1300 cc. had a 140 km/h speed limit on motorways, for instance. Does somebody know if some of these signs are still in place? I mean the ones on borders. In Spain a lot of border crossings still have older-than-2001 signs, which included vía rápida category (grade-separated road where speed limit was 100 km/h).
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #83
baberland

Likes (Received): 96

I think this map is a bit more up to date concerning top speed limits by country in Europe:

link
baberland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #84
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
BTW, in 2007 I saw a border speed limit sign in Punta Ala, Italy, displaying old Italian speed limits (which varied on the displacement of the engine). Vehicles with engines bigger than 1300 cc. had a 140 km/h speed limit on motorways, for instance.
http://goo.gl/maps/iWWPe
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #85
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

That's not a bad idea, only they should make the speed limit depending on the power rather than displacement.

A crappy old 1.6l 8v engine ( like many VW's, Skoda's, etc still used in the 2000's) is absolute tripe compared to a 1.3 turbo'd 16v one...

Cars with more power are designed for higher speed, eg. the brakes, the stability, etc...
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #86
Road_UK
BANNED

Question remains: are you a good enough driver to stay in control of your vehicle at high speeds? Or are you likely to endanger yourself and others with reckless driving...
Old October 14th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #87
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Question remains: are you a good enough driver to stay in control of your vehicle at high speeds? Or are you likely to endanger yourself and others with reckless driving...
High speed≠Reckless

You are still under the assumption high speed= dangerous. It's only a matter of looking further forward and holding the wheel well...

Imho driving on a wide motorway in the middle of the night is no more dangerous than driving during rush hour... You have WAY more space to correct any mistakes and there's little other traffic.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #88
Ingsoc75

Likes (Received): 19

Opening October 24th on Texas SH 130:

Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #89
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Excellent!

Any higher limits planned somewhere in the US?
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #90
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog

High speed≠Reckless

You are still under the assumption high speed= dangerous. It's only a matter of looking further forward and holding the wheel well...

Imho driving on a wide motorway in the middle of the night is no more dangerous than driving during rush hour... You have WAY more space to correct any mistakes and there's little other traffic.
You'll be surprised how many accidents happen at night due to empty roads and lane straddling vehicles.
Old October 15th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #91
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
AFAIK: no
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #92
Road_UK
BANNED

What are you still doing up? It's way passed your bedtime. In fact, its way passed mine...
Old October 15th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #93
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
I thought of this thread a couple of hours ago when I turned on the TV and found that the Fast and the Furious was on....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #94
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Excellent!

No state besides Texas authorizes 80 and 85 mph limits statewide on any road that's engineered to such standards. Utah has just two or three "test" stretches of 80 mph limits, so unless other states start growing some balls, no. I suspect most new freeways in Texas will be built with such speed limits in mind.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #95
Filipdr

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Actually, it's not hard to drive fast on a motorway, but you have to be extremely focused on the drivers around you and that takes tons of concentration, especially during some longer trips. This goes for Germany of course:

Last edited by Filipdr; October 15th, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Filipdr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #96
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I agree with the pilot in that video.

Driving on motorways is not only grabbing a wheel and looking the road and the other vehicles: it's mainly a constant calculation of your speed, your braking spaces, the others' speed, how much time will it take for your car to reach another one, what's going on around, what other drivers might do in the next few moments (e.g. change lane if they are reaching a slower vehicle, or slow down due to merging traffic), how fast will you reach them if the situation changes, and a lot of other details.
It's mainly collecting a huge number of inputs and converting them into a constant evaluation of relative speeds (you vs. car 1, you vs. car 2, car 1 vs. car 2, ect...).

This is a hard work for the brain, which gets harder with higher speeds: not just because you receive more inputs in a given time, but mainly because this whole game gets a lot harder when the relative speeds increase.
Going 130 with a traffic flow going 110 is not hard, but if the flow reaches a car doing 70-80 (it happens, and it's legal), that's dangerous, since it's not immediate to recognize the actual speed of a way slower vehicle. It seems more as a standing object occupying a lane.

So, given the fact that some vehicles will always move at <100, even with very low traffic density driving over 140 will still be a challenge harder than most drivers expect.

What is more, since every system has its % of unskilled drivers going >130 wheter it's legal or not, just for the sake of it, and since fines are based on how much faster that the limit you are driving, raising the posted limit would only allow them to go even faster without thinking of the consequences.

Today the Italian limit is 130; the law states that you'll get a 5% tolerance, so you can actually do 136 and not being fined. Up to +10 you get a € 38 fine and no points (so, 140); up to +40 you get € 155 and 3 points (so, 170).
With a posted limit of 150, you could actually do 157 without being fined, 160 with € 38, and a full 190 with € 155 and still have your license... way too much, IMO.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #97
F81

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Today the Italian limit is 130; the law states that you'll get a 5% tolerance, so you can actually do 136 and not being fined. Up to +10 you get a € 38 fine and no points (so, 140); up to +40 you get € 155 and 3 points (so, 170).
With a posted limit of 150, you could actually do 157 without being fined, 160 with € 38, and a full 190 with € 155 and still have your license... way too much, IMO.
Well, you can always change the law.
You could state that "up to +40 AND ANYWAY ABOVE 160 you get € 155 and 3 points (so, 170)"...

Saying that you don't post 150 km/h because of lax speed limit enforcement is a moot point, IMHO. You can post a higher limit AND make the controls (via Tutor) much stricter.
F81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #98
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Nobody is going to speed if there's Tutor. If the limit is 150 km/h, noone will drive 160. So it's basically pointless to talk about driving over the speed limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Neat. I just hope it's not gone yet, I'd love to have a picture of myself with the sign
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #99
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Going 130 with a traffic flow going 110 is not hard, but if the flow reaches a car doing 70-80 (it happens, and it's legal), that's dangerous, since it's not immediate to recognize the actual speed of a way slower vehicle. It seems more as a standing object occupying a lane.
So outlaw slow drivers then ?

I've said this in other discussions about speed limits, driving is ALWAYS a matter of paying a lot of attention and the people who can't do that should go by train. Stop trying to limit everyone else because of your personal shortcomings. This is like a one-eyed person demanding mandatory eyepatches for everyone.
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #100
Road_UK
BANNED

What about boyracers who think they can drive fast? They are usually the first who end up in a ditch, or worse: put entire family's with children in hospitals and cemeteries.

Tags
autostrada