daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #121
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

What surprises me is that the law speak specifically about "the use of a mobile phone" and not a more general "every activity that may impaire your hands or eyes making driving dangerous". This shouldn't include pressing a button or two, but everything that need more than an istant. Apart the use of the mobile phone, also drinking, eating, smoking, doing make-up (for women), looking for something in the dash cases or beneath your seat, etc... are potentially dangerous.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Stahlsturm liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #122
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

You hear a lot of talk over here from police, safety advocates, and so on about "distracted driving." But I'm not sure what the laws actually say. (Don't really have time to look right now.)

I suppose they can easily prohibit specific things like using the phone and leave other things up to the circumstances. (If a police officer sees you using the phone he can stop you and issue a ticket, whereas, say, eating isn't ticketable, but if you swerve and have an accident because you were playing with your food....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #123
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Yesterday I saw someone being ticketed for using a mobile phone for the first time.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #124
albertocsc
Translator and traveller

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Motorways in Rep. of Moldova?
Well, the 110 km/h limit is for expressways, and there is not a legal limit for motorways yet. If they built any motorway (in a far future, it seems), they could add a speed limit to their laws (130 km/h as their neighbours could be the choice), add a expressway sign to motorways (so the 110 limit would apply. In Spain they are recently doing this, but it is not modifying speed limit but only what traffic can use autovías), or keep the law as is, if they chose a system like German one.
albertocsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #125
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
I like the German system most
In many responses here I read that the German system is completely misunderstood. In Germany you aren't safe at ANY speed. You can loose your insurance coverage driving 60 kmh UNDER the posted speed limit when the situation on the road would've demanded a slower speed to remain safe. Whenever your speed is ruled as a (contributing) reason for an accident your insurance is at risk. If you think by going a steady 130 on an Autobahn you are safe and nothing can happen to you you are DEAD WRONG.

The German system is designed to give a lot of responsibility to an alert driver, a concept that seems rather alien to most of our neighbours. At least a great many of them drive like complete crap when they are here because they can't (or don't want to) adjust.
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #126
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlsturm View Post
In many responses here I read that the German system is completely misunderstood. In Germany you aren't safe at ANY speed. You can loose your insurance coverage driving 60 kmh UNDER the posted speed limit when the situation on the road would've demanded a slower speed to remain safe. Whenever your speed is ruled as a (contributing) reason for an accident your insurance is at risk. If you think by going a steady 130 on an Autobahn you are safe and nothing can happen to you you are DEAD WRONG.

The German system is designed to give a lot of responsibility to an alert driver, a concept that seems rather alien to most of our neighbours. At least a great many of them drive like complete crap when they are here because they can't (or don't want to) adjust.
How can a system like this work? Basically you can be fined for everything. You can go 100 km/h on a no-limit Autobahn, but if a police officer doesn't like the color of your car, or maybe is pissed because wife left him, he can fine you because - according to him - you should have gone at 70. This is nonsense.

Laws mustn't be subject to interpretations, otherwise it's chaos.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #127
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:

Hold your horses mate. Germans used to drive fast, but disciplined. These days are long gone, and a lot of them drive as dumb as any foreigner on the road. (lane hogging, stupid speeds, either super fast or super slow, sudden braking etc etc)

You can't blame foreigners for the terrible driving of Germans. And advisory limit on stretches with no limits remains 130.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #128
Stahlsturm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
How can a system like this work? Basically you can be fined for everything. You can go 100 km/h on a no-limit Autobahn, but if a police officer doesn't like the color of your car, or maybe is pissed because wife left him, he can fine you because - according to him - you should have gone at 70. This is nonsense.

Laws mustn't be subject to interpretations, otherwise it's chaos.
You can't be fined like that. There's a difference in fining and loosing your insurance coverage, it's two legal matters.
Police can only fine you in free traffic in case you exceed a posted speed limit. However, if you are involved in an accident things are differently. Then, technically you can be fined for going slower than the posted speed limit but too fast for the traffic situation immediately before the accident and can loose your insurance coverage on top of that.
So, you cannot exceed posted speed limits but even if you follow them you still have to pay attention. Which is the big problem when a lot of people (yes Road_UK, Germans and non-Germans) start hogging the right lane because they think "I'm going the speed limit, now lemme play with my new iPod".

g.spinoza liked this post
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #129
Stahlsturm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Hold your horses mate. Germans used to drive fast, but disciplined. These days are long gone, and a lot of them drive as dumb as any foreigner on the road. (lane hogging, stupid speeds, either super fast or super slow, sudden braking etc etc).
Yes and no. There are MANY bad Germans drivers these days, no doubt. What I was referring to was the insecurity you can almost touch of especially Dutch, Belgian and Danish drivers on a German Autobahn.
I call it "small country syndrome" jokingly because I've never had a problem with a French or Italian plate driver. And yeah, I know I'm generalizing horribly, I don't mean to pass my personal roadside observations off as scientific
Old April 17th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #130
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Yes and no. There are MANY bad Germans drivers these days, no doubt. What I was referring to was the insecurity you can almost touch of especially Dutch, Belgian and Danish drivers on a German Autobahn.
I call it "small country syndrome" jokingly because I've never had a problem with a French or Italian plate driver. And yeah, I know I'm generalizing horribly, I don't mean to pass my personal roadside observations off as scientific
The Dutch are the worst, no other drivers line to go to the left lane so early, without checking mirrors, and thinking ''indicating=right of way''. If you're travelling at a nice pace ( eg. 170 on cruise) the main danger is these bloody NL plates pulling out without using mirrors. Extra caution required when the stereotypical city tin can is driving or (mini) mpv.

As for the ''silly high speeds'', I don't understand, even most compact family cars easily reach 190 km/h, any car that is designed for long distance travel ( large family cars or executive cars) will easily reach 200+ and stay comfortable until quite high speeds. 150 is in no way anywhere near ''fast'' imho, it's a relaxed cruise speed in my eyes. Fast we're talking 200+.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #131
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post

The Dutch are the worst, no other drivers line to go to the left lane so early, without checking mirrors, and thinking ''indicating=right of way''. If you're travelling at a nice pace ( eg. 170 on cruise) the main danger is these bloody NL plates pulling out without using mirrors. Extra caution required when the stereotypical city tin can is driving or (mini) mpv.

As for the ''silly high speeds'', I don't understand, even most compact family cars easily reach 190 km/h, any car that is designed for long distance travel ( large family cars or executive cars) will easily reach 200+ and stay comfortable until quite high speeds. 150 is in no way anywhere near ''fast'' imho, it's a relaxed cruise speed in my eyes. Fast we're talking 200+.
Your imho is going from one extreme to the other. The Dutch in Germany (and I drive in Germany a hell of a lot more than you do = practically every day) are not half as bad as some of the Germans. I find Poles, Czechs, Romanias etc etc far more dangerous in Germany, with their ongoing lane hogging, and I find the number of Poles driving in Germany who are now confident enough to road rage and aggressively under and overtake aggressively also quite alarming.

And if you're doing 170 on cruise, then you're even more deranged then I'd imagine you to be.
Old April 17th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #132
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

I don't see what's wrong with doing 170 on cruise control, as long as you turn it off when approaching unclear traffic conditions.
Old April 17th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #133
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
I don't see what's wrong with doing 170 on cruise control, as long as you turn it off when approaching unclear traffic conditions.
170 is not a safe speed for a lot of people, hence the speedlimits in all but one country, let alone doing it on cruise. As it may seem safe in France in the middle of the night, I would not recommend it doing it in Germany. Because that lorry or a dozy car is about to pull out in front of you, right as you have your right foot in a twist. I regularly do 160+ in Germany in my van. Self imposed limit on using my cruise control is a little over 130.
Old April 17th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #134
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I find Poles, Czechs, Romanias etc etc far more dangerous in Germany, with their ongoing lane hogging
Lane hogging isn't dangerous though (other than irritating you).
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #135
Road_UK
BANNED

It is dangerous. It causes aggression and undertaking. Just look at the type of messages that snowdog is posting, and with his attitude, I wouldn't trust him in a 10 kph milk float.
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #136
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

driving in Germany is stressful overall. it's only for good drivers, whether you drive fast or slow.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #137
Road_UK
BANNED

It'd be nice if Germany is a playground for only good drivers, but, unfortunately, it is not. Anyone with a valid drivers licence is entitled to drive in Germany.
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #138
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Lane hogging

Road_UK, Wilhem275 liked this post
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #139
Verso
Islander

Yes, lengthy lane hogging can be dangerous, I was thinking more of short-time lane hogging, because I'm not used to long lane hogging. But I don't find middle-lane hogging particularly dangerous (not much more than driving as such).
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #140
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

In Germany it's annoying, when crazy drivers come on the left lane, so you can't overtake those middle lane hoggers so easy like in other countries

From what I've seen here, most of the middle lane hoggers are women.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrada