daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 18th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #121
Odoaker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 787

Suprisingly a large aerial of Stuttgart has been removed, it seems ;(
Odoaker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #122
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odoaker View Post
Suprisingly a large aerial of Stuttgart has been removed, it seems ;(
yes, i wonder why they did that

i don't know if you clicked through all the pages, but there are some photos of stuttgart at 1775-1816, but like i said, Cologne, Frankfurt am Main, Mainz and Wiesbaden are complete missing.

I dont know about Tübingen and Bamberg. I have no clue why they removed some photos.
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #123
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57909

I really appreciate this thread, Dr.

Would be great to see it continues.

If I come across some spare time, I'll show comparisons from MeckPomm.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

UrbanMyth liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #124
Kaufmann

Likes (Received): 5777

Reinoldi church Dortmund

First church called wonder of westphalia

Quelle:Bildindex

Old market

And now

Quelle: Kaufmann

Projects of DORTMUND

Projects of the Rhine-Ruhr metropolitan region

Tiaren liked this post
Kaufmann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #125
Kaufmann

Likes (Received): 5777

Dortmund town hall
then..

Quelle: Stadtarchiv Dortmund

and now

Schutzpatronin mit Hansekogge und dem alten Rathaus

Quelle: Kaufmann

Projects of DORTMUND

Projects of the Rhine-Ruhr metropolitan region

Chimer, Ludi liked this post
Kaufmann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:56 AM   #126
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

Still big part of those special ww2-photos haven't been uploaded yet again.

Actually there 1962 photos of 3225 in toal are uploaed. My guess is that bildindex.de has removed about 200 to 250 photos of Kassel, Erfurt, Frankfurt am Main, Köln, Stuttgart, Wiesbaden and even Warsaw and other smal german cities.

Now 1962 photos and in the past 200 to 250 photos now missing on the website, which means that there are about 1000 photos which have never been uploaded. I dont know why, maybe becuase of bad quality or unknown location. I doubt we will ever see the 1000 photos and the missing 200 to 250 photos again. Maybe the local german authorities dont like it. maybe they wanna sell them in the future? I dont know, i have no clue. I only know it's a litte tragedy they removed the photos and i whish they would bring them back to the open public!

If you have photos of german cities feel free to post them in here

Mony Vi liked this post
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 03:42 PM   #127
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijtkonijn View Post
I find it very hard to figure that especially the Americans destroyed buildings and artifacts that have been around for centuries before the USA was founded. Even before the first settlers set foot on the new world.
It was a different time and there was an utter lack of concern for these buildings. However, it wasn't just Americans. The British frequently destroyed historical centers (think of Dresden), as well as the Germans (Warsaw), the Russians (Berlin), and so on.

However, there were Americans who did feel a loss when it came to these buildings. You have to remember that during WWII most Americans were European by blood and many still had strong connections to the old world(many still do).

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 07:53 PM   #128
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
It was a different time and there was an utter lack of concern for these buildings. However, it wasn't just Americans. The British frequently destroyed historical centers (think of Dresden), as well as the Germans (Warsaw), the Russians (Berlin), and so on.

However, there were Americans who did feel a loss when it came to these buildings. You have to remember that during WWII most Americans were European by blood and many still had strong connections to the old world(many still do).
We have to remember also that separate from the insanity of war and the sheer madness of generals and leaders directing troops and airforces to destroy, destroy, destroy, American mentality only recently became attentive to and nurturing of historic preservationism. For example, there was no war within the USA but the wrecking ball did a pretty good job of destroying much of American urban architecture during the 1860s through 1970s. Many Americans during WWII had little concern about buildings being lost in Europe simply due to the 'tear down and rebuilt' attitude most embraced.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 08:10 PM   #129
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijtkonijn View Post
I find it very hard to figure that especially the Americans destroyed buildings and artifacts that have been around for centuries before the USA was founded. Even before the first settlers set foot on the new world.
Yes - Americans are profoundly evil.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis

TheReconstructer liked this post
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:51 PM   #130
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
We have to remember also that separate from the insanity of war and the sheer madness of generals and leaders directing troops and airforces to destroy, destroy, destroy, American mentality only recently became attentive to and nurturing of historic preservationism. For example, there was no war within the USA but the wrecking ball did a pretty good job of destroying much of American urban architecture during the 1860s through 1970s. Many Americans during WWII had little concern about buildings being lost in Europe simply due to the 'tear down and rebuilt' attitude most embraced.
But this was not uniquely American. The British, Russians, Germans, French, etc did a great deal of damage to the historical cities of Europe. This was not a uniquely American attitude. Much of the destruction of Europe was due to other Europeans, not their cousins across the pond (though we didn't exactly leave it untouched either).

A lot of the post-war destruction of American architecture wasn't because of an innately American trait, but one that was plaguing most of Western civilization at the time.Those who had power over architecture and development wanted to destroy the remnants of our past and replace it with their vision.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

Sandstein, Chadoh25 liked this post
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:24 AM   #131
Deco
Soteropolitano

Likes (Received): 2294

great!
following
Deco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 07:30 AM   #132
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
A lot of the post-war destruction of American architecture wasn't because of an innately American trait, but one that was plaguing most of Western civilization at the time.Those who had power over architecture and development wanted to destroy the remnants of our past and replace it with their vision.
Agree in part, yes. However, who allowed the architects to make the decisions and control of beauty past and present? The population at large because they, generally, cared more for new and shiny and bigger and brighter. Much like the political scene. We're all good at throwing out the baby with the bath water.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #133
Sandstein

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
That's unfortunately true. Several surviving buildings were demolished in the postwar period due to the predominant modernist conceptions of town planning and architecture.
Sandstein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 04:02 AM   #134
UrbanMyth

Likes (Received): 189

Interesting thread -- any information about finding more images to compare those German cities that were targeted in WW2 before and after bombing? It seems like so many have been carefully reconstructed, but some, like Chemnitz, were rebuilt in an "anti-urban" form. I can find images of Chemnitz before the war but the city was so utterly transformed in the post-war years, it's nearly impossible to identify the locations of the images.
UrbanMyth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 04:09 AM   #135
UrbanMyth

Does anyone have a list of German cities (post-WW2 boundaries; >25,000) that were NOT bombed? I (think) I read that Regensburg was not bombed.

Last edited by UrbanMyth; November 17th, 2014 at 04:16 AM.
Old November 17th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #136
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

Luneburg, Schwerin, Zittau, Gorlitz, Gottingen, Oldenburg are small cities that I have visited that seems untouched - but correct me if Im wrong.
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #137
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMyth View Post
Does anyone have a list of German cities (post-WW2 boundaries; >25,000) that were NOT bombed? I (think) I read that Regensburg was not bombed.
Regensburg was bombed, although the city centre did not sustain much damage. There was an aircraft plant as well as an oil refinery that were destroyed.

The Obermünster church was destroyed in 1945 in a bombing raid and never rebuilt.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #138
UrbanMyth

It's probably a good thing -- but I can't find any images online of the Obermuenster Abbey -- seeing what was lost can be heartbreaking.
Old November 18th, 2014, 05:25 PM   #139
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

https://www.google.no/search?q=Oberm...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg

or

https://www.google.no/search?q=Oberm...che+regensburg

mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #140
MikkelAndersen

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Angelshark View Post
So horrible I wish all the german cities made a 200 meters multiply 200 meters altstadt without a single modern building and with a piazza in the middle.
MikkelAndersen no está en línea   Reply With Quote