daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2010, 07:36 PM   #1
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

MISC | Diesel Trains in your Country

Good diesel trains in your countries...

I always like a good showing off thread, but most of them in the railways section tend to just be all TGV, ICE etc

I lot of people seem to almost frown upon diesel trains seeing them as just being dirty, slow, smelly, old and generally CRAP! I don't really see this as fair and would like to see some good diesel trains!

I wanna see decent diesel trains in your own country!

I'll do a few for the UK

I have to start with the almighty HST, I would be surprised if someone didn't like it! (If you do dislike it for a GOOD reason I'd be interested to hear)
125Mph (200Km/h)

Class 185, not a personal favourite as they are used on long distance routes, but they do work well! 100Mph (160Mp/h)

Class 180, perform a similar roll as the HSTs but are DMUs not loco hauled, 125Mph (200Km/h)

Class 222, similar to the 180s and I think more comfortable...125Mph (200Km/h)

Class 158, they are getting on a bit now, but mostly have had decent refurbishment jobs done! The only real bad thing is that they are only 2 coach sets, and need to be 4 coaches for deal with over crowding, 90Mph (145Km/h)

I <3 London

Harbornite liked this post

Last edited by poshbakerloo; August 25th, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2010, 08:15 PM   #2
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

There are the closest to "good" here in the 'States.

American version of the Alstom Prima.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...PL42AC-NJT.jpg

The EMD-40 with the slanted front.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...D_F40PHM-2.jpg

LIRR dual-mode, which switches to its diesel engine on the non-electrified portions of the Long Island Railroad.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Train_8054.jpg

MARC diesel trains have a lovely livery and their coaches are very elegantly-designed.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=324588&nseq=5

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=327466&nseq=3

Now, for my other two countries.

I actually like the way that the XPT looks.
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3437/...69a60d117a.jpg

Here's CityRail's Hunter Railcar.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ilcar-2754.jpg

V-line and V-locity trains (I wish Boston had these babies)

http://media.photobucket.com/image/v...ER/PTA/WT1.jpg

A newly-refurbished TEP70 diesel from Russia.

http://www.helsinki.fi/~jriihima/rus...stp_2006_L.jpg

Last edited by manrush; August 22nd, 2010 at 08:03 PM.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post

I have to start with the almighty HST, I would be surprised if someone didn't like it! (If you do dislike it for a GOOD reason I'd be interested to hear)
I do like it and it is a very good train. However they are seriously getting on a bit now and it is a shame Britain didn't electrify all its main lines before this came along. Personal experience has shown them to not be that reliable, at least not when run by first great western. I would rather things turned out differently and we had the APT instead. All it took was a bit of sticky hydraulics and so slightly bloated journalists for Britain to do what it typically does and scrap something that could have been brilliant.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 04:37 PM   #4
greenlion

Likes (Received): 30

China

NDJ3 - CRH6- "Harmony Greatwall"
Beijing - Yanqing (Open at 2008), Shijiazhuang - Qinhuangdao (open at 2009).
nick name "Big Face Cat" designed for running at 160 km/h, Top speed 200 km/h.

NZJ1 - New First Light
Opens at Nanjing - Hangzhou & Shanghai -Nanjing in 1999 at speed 180 km/h, retire at 2007, now running ta Harbin - Qiqihar line at a speed of 160 km/h

NZJ2 - Shenzhou
nickname "Great White Cat", opens at Beijing - Tianjin in 2000, retire at 2007, now running between Guilin - Nanjing - Liuzhou & Nanchang - Wuchang, Chibi - huangshi, top speed 180 km/h

NZJ2 - Golden Wheel
first open at Lanzhou - Xining in 2001,top speed 180km/h

DMU - Lushan
opens at Nanchang - Jiujiang in 1998, top speed 160km/h

NYJ1-Jiujiang
Opens at Nanchang-Yuyueshan in 1999, top speed 120km/h 140km/h
greenlion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 05:37 PM   #5
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

This chinese trains look somehow american style. Surprised they reach such high speed, probably the may consume too much fuel.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 09:52 PM   #6
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexriga View Post
This chinese trains look somehow american style. Surprised they reach such high speed, probably the may consume too much fuel.
Its pretty normal for Diesel trains to have top speeds of 100-125Mph, I think over the years they have been developed not to use stupid amounts of fuel as they are on most UK lines

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:57 AM   #7
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexriga View Post

Because they're not built like cardboard?
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #8
greenlion

China

DF11G "Pig head"
Manufacture by CSR Qishuyan Locomotive Co.Ltd, top speed 170km/h, currentlly there are 158 DF11G Trains on service

Old August 24th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #9
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 558

The Netherlands

NS DM'90 (de Buffel)

Commutertrain in the eastern and northern Netherlands.
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #10
greenlion

China

DF11Z "Big Z"
Manufacture by CSR Qishuyan Locomotive Co.Ltd, top speed 160km/h, designed for Qinghai-Tibet railroad and Special train

Last edited by greenlion; August 24th, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old August 24th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #11
greenlion

China

DF8BJ "West Light"
Manufacture by CSR Ziyang Locomotive Co.Ltd, top speed 120km/h

DF8CJ "Sunglow"
Manufacture by CSR Qishuyan Locomotive Co.Ltd, top speed 120km/h

DF8DJ
Manufacture by CSR Ziyang Locomotive Co.Ltd, top speed 120km/h

Last edited by greenlion; August 24th, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #12
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Are Chinese diesel locomotives as heavy as American ones or does China have less stringent crashworthiness regulations?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:40 AM   #13
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
Are Chinese diesel locomotives as heavy as American ones or does China have less stringent crashworthiness regulations?
I heard there just as Heavy , so is Russia. So the US , China , Canada , and Russia have the same weight regs.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #14
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Crashworthiness has nothing to do with weight. However, a heavier locomotive will be able to produce more tractive effort. Which is why locomotives tend to be as heavy as the rails allow. Sometimes ballast is even added when higher axle loads are permitted, as was done with some Chinese locos based on Siemens' eurosprinter design.
China allows higher axle loads than Europe on many lines, and therefore will use heavier locomotives. However these aren't necessarily safer than their European counterparts.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #15
sotavento

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Crashworthiness has nothing to do with weight. However, a heavier locomotive will be able to produce more tractive effort. Which is why locomotives tend to be as heavy as the rails allow. Sometimes ballast is even added when higher axle loads are permitted, as was done with some Chinese locos based on Siemens' eurosprinter design.
China allows higher axle loads than Europe on many lines, and therefore will use heavier locomotives. However these aren't necessarily safer than their European counterparts.
Most european electric locomotives built in the last half a century have Balast added ... tones of balast ... or even concrete sleepers alying in the intermediate corridors ...

On the other hand ... the real difference between european and american crashworthiness is that while europeans have "evolved" the americans/Canadians just maintain the block-o-steel vs. bloc-o-steel aproach of 50 years ago.

Theres no way the driver of a 10km long coal train with 5 4000KW GE/EMD diesels at it's head could be protected from a inbound 320km/h duplex ...

The duplex driver had much better chances of survivability even in his thin aluminium can ...

Quote:
That depends if you are speaking of ASSURED allowed tonnages per wheel (as in europeans) or as in let's hope this thigndoesn' crumble under half the load due to deferred maintenance (if ever maintained) in the USA.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:34 AM   #16
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I heard there just as Heavy , so is Russia. So the US , China , Canada , and Russia have the same weight regs.

But many other countries use those style locomotives. Mexico, Brazil, Australia, Eastern Europe, some Mid east and African nations also use the old "block of steel" massive locomotives.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #17
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63134

You mean countries were loco's are mainly used for heavy freight trains on unelectrified lines? In other words trains that are similar to the American freight trains. It's no wonder all those countries use heavy American diesel loco designs for their trains.

It's much more a matter of availability of loco designs for a specific task, European loco's are simply not designed for these kind of trains then a choice for safety.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #18
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
You mean countries were loco's are mainly used for heavy freight trains on unelectrified lines? In other words trains that are similar to the American freight trains. It's no wonder all those countries use heavy American diesel loco designs for their trains.

It's much more a matter of availability of loco designs for a specific task, European loco's are simply not designed for these kind of trains then a choice for safety.
Most of those countries other than for Russia and eastern Europe also use the same coupling standards that are used in the USA - AAR 'knuckle' couplers are the strongest-rated ones in the World (approximately 8x the rated strength of European 'buffer and chain' coupling). The incompatible Russian 'SA3' couplers are only slightly weaker. USA railroads interchange directly with those in Canada and Mexico, too.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #19
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6395

Denmark - IC4

Old August 26th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #20
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
Denmark - IC4

Such a shame that they chose to base the MG (Pictured) after the MF (IC3) instead of the ER (IR4).
Spikespiegel no está en línea   Reply With Quote