daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #21
Apoc89

Likes (Received): 55

I mostly use trains in the UK, and poshbakerloo has most of the good diesels here covered, but I'll add a couple of my own:

The Turbostar family of DMUs, which I found pretty comfortable the few times I've used them:

The Class 221 Voyagers, I don't have much experience with them and it seems not everyone is a fan of their interiors, but you have to admire that they're some of the fastest non-high-speed trains in the UK with the ability to go 125 MPH over curved track with their tilting mechanism(although only Virgin makes use of this). They're also a bit of a technical oddity, being the only modern diesel-electric DMUs running in the UK(most are diesel-hydraulic):
Apoc89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #22
simcard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
Denmark - IC4

what is the box like thing with silver bezel in the front of the train?
simcard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #23
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcard View Post
It's the coupler. The silver "bezels" (each train coupling has one) will interlock with the eachother.
Spikespiegel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #24
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

I'm not sure how "good" they are, but they are new and shiny and I like the way they look. Top speed is officially 108 mph or a little over 160 km/h

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPI_MPXpress

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #25
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6395

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcard View Post
As Spikespiegel points out it's the coupler..

I think it retracts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikespiegel View Post
Such a shame that they chose to base the MG (Pictured) after the MF (IC3) instead of the ER (IR4).
I'm not sure I understand, the IC3 and the IR4 are virtually the same to the point where they can be intermixed, only real difference ( to my knowledge - interior decoration aside ) is that one is driven by electricity and the other diesel..

What most certainly is a shame is that they outsourced the production of the IC4 to a crappy Italian company that after 8 years of delay still haven't delivered all the trains yet

( we should have been using IC5's by now )

Last edited by FREKI; August 26th, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
FREKI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #26
Castor_Game

Likes (Received): 21894

Modern spanish diesel train

RENFE S-599 (CAF MANUFACTURING)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor_Game View Post
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/...ee3f0ff2_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2780/...423db69c_b.jpg

50 DIESEL UNITS FOR RENFE
These units shall be made up of consists of two motor cars and a trailer car, each with two bogies, which can be coupled making up consists of up to three units (nine cars), with control from a single driver cab.
Although the initial operation shall be on Iberian gauge tracks, these units have been fitted with an installation to run on international gauge infrastructures (UIC) with the possibility of the Brava variable gauge bogie being fitted which allows circulation on both Iberian gauge and international gauge tracks.
The maximum speed is 160 km/h, with a capacity of 187 seated places (including 1 PRM and 2 flip-up seats), two WCs (one standard and one for PRM), and a multifunctional area (with vending, bicycle rack and rest area).

Traction equipment:
The power is provided by four 328 kW diesel engines whose transmissions drive the for motor bogies via the cardan shafts. The total installed power is 1,528 kW.
Via the motoring arranged in four traction chains, the train has sufficient power to provide acceptable performance even in the unlikely case of simultaneous failure in 2 traction chains.

Carbody:
The carbodies of all the vehicles making up the Train are self supporting and built in aluminium in order to reduce the Train mass and energy consumption as much as possible and for its high resistance to corrosion.
The design proposed for the structure of the vehicles is based on large aluminium extruded sections. These sections are continuous along the vehicle and are joined by means of welding along their edges and make up the exterior line of the vehicle.
The intermediate car carbody is fitted with a low floor area to ease access to the train for passengers in wheelchairs.

Bogies:
The train has six bogies: four motor bogies and two trailer bogies. Both types are made up of a frame, two axles with their corresponding axle boxes, primary suspension, pneumatic secondary suspension, a carbody-bogie linking device and brake equipment consisting of two axle mounted discs.
The Brava variable gauge bogie may be fitted, allowing travel on both Iberian and UIC gauge tracks. The Brava system changes the gauge automatically, with the train in motion and without the need for any previous preparations or stoppages (the change is made at approximately 30 km/h).

Power for auxiliary equipment:
To supply the auxiliary equipment, each train is fitted with two independent traction motor-alternator sets.. Each electric generator set can provide 100% of the loads at maximum performance, permitting total redundancy of the system.
In normal service, only one of the sets shall operate, with the other on standby. Should a fault occur, the second set shall start up automatically, and no train performance shall be lost. In normal operation, the set that has been operating less time shall always start up.

HVAC:
The train saloon HVAC system consists of one HVAC unit per car, each with a double cooling circuit. Each unit is compact and assembled in a single block.
With this configuration, a cooling power of 47 kW/car is achieved and a heat power of 31 kW/car with an impelled air flow per car of 6,200.

Basic details:
· Carbody length (mm): 25.425
· Carbody width (mm): 2.940
· Doors per side and car: 3
· Length between bodyends (mm): 75.930
· Maximum height (mm): 4.168
· Total weight (tonnes): 158,9
· Track gauge (mm): 1.668 mm (with preinstallation for 1,435 mm)

Performance:
· Maximum speed (Km/h): 160
· Seating places per streetcar: 187

Equipment:
· ASFA System
· Control and monitoring of the train by means of TCN
· Event Recorder (OTMR)
· Fire detection system
· Front skirting with remote control
· Ground-train and GSMR communication equipment
· Multipurpose zone (vending machines, bicycle rack, wi-fi connection, etc.)
· Passenger information system
· Pneumatically driven rear view mirrors
· Ramp to vacate passengers
· Seat players
· Seats with current collector
· Video entertainment system
· Video surveillance system
· WC

http://www.caf.es/ingles/productos/p...d=612&sec=desc
Castor_Game no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #27
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc89 View Post
The Class 221 Voyagers, I don't have much experience with them and it seems not everyone is a fan of their interiors, but you have to admire that they're some of the fastest non-high-speed trains in the UK with the ability to go 125 MPH over curved track with their tilting mechanism(although only Virgin makes use of this). They're also a bit of a technical oddity, being the only modern diesel-electric DMUs running in the UK(most are diesel-hydraulic):
The Voyager family covers classes 220, 221 and 222, but Voyager units specifically refer to class 220. The class 221 are Super Voyagers, and as far as I'm aware Cross Country do utilise their tilt mechanism, though of course only when they run on the EPS enabled WCML north of Rugby. The Voyager class are class 220, whilst outwardly identical they have no tilt-mechanism installed and are used on routes where tilt is not allowed (which is everywhere apart from the WCML).

/pedant
makita09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 04:01 AM   #28
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

I've always been partial to the GE P40DC ("Genesis") line of diesels, meant to replace the older EMD F40PHs that had been in use from about 1970 to about 2000.

from Wikipedia

And of course, the most classic design remains the Budd RDC (short for Rail Diesel Car). Built in the '50s and still going strong (although whether or not that's a good thing is up to you).

A pair operated by VIA Rail Canada

from here
Operated by Trinity Railway Express in Dallas

Hm...we really need need to see some new DMUs in operation...
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #29
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

I heard that VIA Rail is now in the process of rebuilding and modernising its Budd RDC fleet.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #30
darkhorses
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Indian Railways

Photo by narend83 on flickr(cc sarafindian ssci)

WDP-4 (GT46PAC) Diesel locomotive nicknamed 'Baaz' with a snazzy livery is pictured hauling a daily service into Bangalore.
darkhorses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #31
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post

It must take a while to get on/off this train when its busy as it only has one set of doors

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #32
Benn

Likes (Received): 169

Sprinter out in the San Diego area uses Siemens Desiro DMUs, I rode on an almost identical train in Germany that seemed quite nice, though if one can afford electrification EMUs are a better option.

Some of the proposed FasTracks commuter lines in Denver are going to be DMUs as well (And the first new commuter EMUs in the US in a long time).
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #33
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
Sprinter out in the San Diego area uses Siemens Desiro DMUs, I rode on an almost identical train in Germany that seemed quite nice, though if one can afford electrification EMUs are a better option.

Some of the proposed FasTracks commuter lines in Denver are going to be DMUs as well (And the first new commuter EMUs in the US in a long time).
SEPTA (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority) is going to be the first buyer of those Rotem EMUs. While we've been seeing Euro-style light-rail DMUs appear here and there, what I mean is we need something to replace true RDCs--a commuter-rail DMU like what you can see in the Netherlands.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #34
Benn

Likes (Received): 169

True story there, I was hoping for more from my local transit authority than massive MPI locomotives pulling bi-levels designed in the 70s, but we really are behind the curve in this country as far as commuter and regional rail.

Really good to here Philly is upgrading their rolling stock with something worth while, seems overdue.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #35
EEH
разбирач :))

Likes (Received): 8216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post

The same looking Siemens DMUs in Bulgaria. Here, three DMUs coupled in one train.

http://ilovemylene.web.data.bg/galle...1/DMC_0006.JPG
EEH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #36
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
It must take a while to get on/off this train when its busy as it only has one set of doors
It has 4 sets of doors.

@Freki, one of the main differences between the IR4 and the IC3 (besides that one is electric, the other diesel) is the bogey system. IR4 uses a much newer bogey, that reduces noise and vibrations A LOT better than the IC3 bogey. Unfortunately, the IC4 seems to be using the same bogey as the IC3
Spikespiegel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #37
sidney_jec
Complex Equation

WDP-4 Diesel loco hauling a 24 coach train in Southern India

image hosted on flickr

On the curve..... by Jay fotografia, on Flickr

PS: Lord Murugan never deleted signatures. Never
sidney_jec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #38
sidney_jec
Complex Equation

Same loco different route. This ones in Western part of India

image hosted on flickr

Neat n Clean KJM WDP 4 #20024 hauled 1014 CBE-LTT Express Down the Ghat by bhavin2584, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

KJM WDP 4#20024 with 1014 CBE-LTT Express Down the Bhor Ghat near Palasdhari by bhavin2584, on Flickr

Old March 18th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #39
sidney_jec
Complex Equation

A Diesel multiple unit is Kashmir valley in Northern India
Cross posting from Indian sub forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith_suv View Post

Old March 18th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #40
sidney_jec
Complex Equation

Another shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvmail View Post

WHITE BLANKET: A jawan keeps vigil on the snow-covered tracks at the Nowgam railway station in Srinagar on Saturday

Source: Times of India, dated 02-Jan-2011