daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #41
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Hopefully the service can be improved over time. It doesn't seem like it will be convenient to use on the weekends.

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #42
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Great, thanks for the update and pics! I am incredibly jealous right now. Tampa is a transit wasteland at this point. Maybe in 5-10 years we will start to catch up.

Steve
Old March 6th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #43
minneapolis-uptown

Likes (Received): 47

MINNEAPOLIS | Streetcar

I heard a couple years ago that Minneapolis was seriously considering introducing a streetcar line or 2. They did a feasibility study and everything!
The Mayor was a big supporter. What happened? I havent heard anything since!
minneapolis-uptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #44
minneapolis-uptown

Likes (Received): 47

oops i did the thread name wrong again. MOD!
minneapolis-uptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:20 AM   #45
Benn

Likes (Received): 169

Economy is in the tank, Higher priority was given to light rail and commuter rail projects for one reason or another. At some point I would expect a number of them to be greenlight. But probably not till 2020 or 2030 after the proscribed LRT and commuter routes are built. Keep in mind that they are still a good $100 million a line on the low end.

I did a lttle case study of my own, and determined 5-7 LRT lines, 4-5 Commuter lines and 11 streetcar Lines would service the metro pretty well. The pricetag is a kicker though, I figure around $9-12 billion in current dollars to set up that sort of system.

To bad wee ripped the old one out huh.

Oh and wouldn't it make more sense to have a general Twin Cities thread for transit (I know there are other ones for Northstar and Hiawatha and seperate ones seems a little redundant).
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:43 PM   #46
Benn

MINNEAPOLIS | Public Transport

Had on and off seen a couple of disparate threads on a thin topic, but it seems like the Twin Cities could use one real thread.

Metro Transit is the main public transportation authority, currently operating 127 bus routes, one light rail and one commuter rail line, with more of both in the works.

Currently the Hiawatha line is the only active light rail; with another, the Central Corridor going into construction this fall and a third, the southwest corridor likely being built by 2015-18. Two further lines have had some preliminary planning but seem unlikely at the moment.

The 12 mile Hiawatha line opened in 2004, it connects downtown Minneapolis with the Mall of America and M/SP international airport. It was extended to Target field (home of the Twins, and a Commuter rail stop in 2009, station were also extended to allow for three car trains as the line has been well ahead of ridership projections, 32,000 weekday riders. It is for those of us fortunate enough to live near the line a great way to get to twins and Vikings games (downtown parking is a hassle).

The line employs 27 Bombardier Swift LRVs (similar to those in Stockholm) that seat 66. Further LRVs are expected to be Siemens S70 vehicles, which will also operate on the other lines. 10 additional vehicles are expected to allow all trains to run in triples.

Warehouse district Station (Target Center)

Government Plaza

Airport, Lindbergh Terminal

The Central Corridor, which is expected to go into construction next month will link downtown Minneapolis with downtown St Paul via the University of Minnesota. It will be about 11 miles in length, have 18 new stations and share 5 with the Hiawatha corridor and cost about $920 million. Current projections for ridership are 42,000/weekday. The old St Paul Union Station is being renovated to serve as the terminus of the central corridor as well as an Amtrak and possible commuter rail hub. The line is expected to employ a minimum of 31 Siemens S70 vehicles. Metro transit has appearently optioned 58 more for future capacity increase and for the southwest corridor project.

Target Field Station (Minneapolis)
Multimodal station, Northstar Commuter trains running under the LRT platform and Ballpark.

Union Depot (St Paul)

The planned Southwest Corridor seems likely to get the go ahead in the next couple of years, possibly as early as 2012. It would connect downtown Minneapolis with the southwestern suburb of Eden Prarie, ridership is anticipated in the 28,000/weekday range and a pricetag around $800 million. Two Further lines, the Robert Street Corridor (downtown St Paul to the southern suburbs) and the Northwest Corridor (downtown Minneapolis to Osseo) have been discussed but are a ways off.

Northstar Commuter Rail
is 40 mile commuter rail corridor that extends toward north central Minnesota. It may be expanded to 81 miles in order to reach St Cloud, however ridership has been lower than expected , about 2,200 daily riders and funds seem better served going towards other projects. The line operated 5 trains comprised of Motive Power MP36 Locomotives with Bombardier Bi Level coaches, similar to Go Transit and various west coast commuter trains.

Coon rapids station

Big Lake

Five further lines have been discussed, but nothing binding has come of them so far.

n20, Ivan the Immigrant liked this post

Last edited by Benn; September 11th, 2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 03:24 AM   #47
Benn

In March the city of Minneapolis announced plans to implement a new streetcar system starting with 5 "starter" routes that could be extended at a later date. Three Additional routes have been studied for possible later development, but are less than certain to receive the matching federal dollars the first five seem likely to procure. At the moment it seems likely that the one of Washington, Central/University, Chicago, Nicollet and Hennepin routes will go through to construction in the next few of years with the others following shortly. 2020 is the target to have the system built out to this point. The Midtown Greenway is having trouble in the ridership models and is somewhat dependent on the southwest corridor, but may happen down the line as it would provide excellent linkage between to rail lines and is in a pretty dense area.

Its a great development that would start to restart what was on of the great streetcar systems in the country, the old Twin Cities Rapid Transit had more than 1,000 streetcars (mostly built for and by TCRT) on 530 miles of track at its peak in the '20s.

Links
analysis
http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...r-system-plan/

City issued reports/studies
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/publ....asp#TopOfPage
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:00 PM   #48
tampasteve

How come they are planning on changing to S70 trains instead of the Bombardiers?

Great thread!

Steve
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:01 PM   #49
tampasteve

DP

Steve
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:41 PM   #50
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

What other light rail lines, other than the one to St. Paul, are planned? I ask because I've read that no other lines will be built.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:11 PM   #51
Benn

The Southwest Corridor planned to go from downtown Minneapolis through the southwestern suburbs to Eden Prarie will go ahead if funding gets secured, so if funding is secured in the next year construction would go ahead in 2012, but I would guess it will be closer to 2015. The Robert Street Corridor heading south out of St Paul and Northwest Corridor from Minneapolis to Osseo have been discussed, but seem like they may be downgraded to BRT or development may be postponed indefinitely. FYI the Central Corridor connecting the two downtowns is going into construction next month.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:21 PM   #52
Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampasteve View Post
How come they are planning on changing to S70 trains instead of the Bombardiers?

Great thread!

Steve
I've been wondering the same thing. The Bombardier trains seem pretty comfortable and smooth, so I can't imagine they've been having much trouble with them, and they are known to do well with harsh winters. I know Siemens did all of the electrification of the Hiawatha line, and they could well have undercut Bombardier on the cost, though Siemens trains are generally a little more expensive. If I had to guess there are either some personal issues going on or it has to do with where they are manufactured. The current Bombardier ones were made in Mexico and I believe the Siemens ones are assembled in in Sacramento, so a political issue seems to be the cause, and made in the USA certainly has some weight around here.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:52 PM   #53
tampasteve

Cool. I have ridden in a myriad of LR trains and I like th S70 a lot, but that is personal opinion!

Steve
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:57 PM   #54
Benn

Here is the early rendering of the new Metro Transit S70s, I kind of like the look of the Bombardier ones myself, might look better with black instead of blue like the current ones, but thats just me.

And here is a pdf of the livery for the various vehicles they operate
http://councilmeetings.metc.state.mn...e%20design.pdf

Last edited by Benn; August 25th, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:29 PM   #55
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Here's some Twin Cities future plans

Streetcar build out plan

Northern Lights Intercity Rail plan

Central Corridor LRT

Visit the New Jersey Section

Hotham72, Ivan the Immigrant liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:52 PM   #56
Benn

Northern Lights Express is apparently good as dead, the cost estimate has gotten up around a $1 billion and that's probably a deal killer given ridership projections.

here is the Central Corridor LRV procurement and construction schedule presentation, turns out the Siemens bid was substantially cheaper than Bombardier's, $120 million to $153 million. CAF and Kinkisharyo also submitted bids.

http://www.metrocouncil.org/transpor...0100811PPT.pdf

Last edited by Benn; August 24th, 2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #57
Benn

Links to Further LRT development

Southwest Corridor - Has preliminary design and approval, awaiting funding
http://www.southwesttransitway.org/

Northwest Corridor - Still a Study
http://www.bottineaupartnership.org/

Hennipen County mode of transportation study
http://www.bottineautransitway.org/index.html

Robert St Corridor - Study
http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/Environme...rt/default.htm

Some links to possible commuter rail developments

Ramsey County passenger rail site
"http://www.regionalrail.org/

Red Rock Corridor - Preliminary design, awaiting approval for form design, funding.
http://www.redrockrail.org/

Rush Line - Study
http://www.rushline.org/

Rochester Rail Link- More intercity than anything, but fits within the Twin Cities framework - multiple studies, though nothing finalized in any way.
http://www.semnrail.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester_Rail_Link
Old November 18th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #58
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Photos taken by Calvin Henry-Cotnam
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:34 AM   #59
Major Deegan

Likes (Received): 4017

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
A picture from the MetCouncil. Progress on 4th Street in downtown St. Paul is going well. They were supposed to be done in November with the utility realignment work. Doesn't look like it will happen. But everyday there is visible progress.

Nov 17th.
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #60
Benn

Its fun to see the Central Corridor construction finally getting going, but its going to be a mess along University Ave for a few years. Cool to see some triples running on Hiawatha line these days too.

Tags
light rail transit, minneapolis