daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #141
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #142
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

I was recently in Minneapolis and rode the Blue line.
Two things made me surprised:

imag

1. I didnt know the downtown part would be THAT slow! I bet a runnig person can easily overpass the train there. The same for the few stations around Mall of America. Bendy and very slow section. Seems like an old tram. It takes ages to pass just 2 or 3 stations.

screenshot windows 8

2. I didnt know the underground part and some of the middle sections would be THAT fast. Seems like a real metro line. I liked that part very much. It takes you so quick to the downtown.

image upload no size limit

So im wondering if the new green line to St. Paul would be more like metro or (please dont!) like a slow tram.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

geometarkv, n20 liked this post
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #143
achybo

Likes (Received): 1737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post

So im wondering if the new green line to St. Paul would be more like metro or (please dont!) like a slow tram.

I bet trains will roll really slow around downtown Mpls UofM and downtown SP areas. Besides those areas I heard that the trains will run somewhere between
35mph to 45mph nowhere close to Hiawatha blue line which can go up to 55mph at some segments.

Well any some update of TC transit projects by MSPdude on Flickr

Red Line Buses:

image hosted on flickr

Cedar Grove Transit Station by MSPdude, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Red Line at Cedar Grove by MSPdude, on Flickr

Green line Snelling Avenue station.

image hosted on flickr

Snelling Ave. Station by MSPdude, on Flickr

geometarkv, BandipureTamu liked this post
achybo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #144
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

The speed in downtown Mpls really sucks. And on the green line it looks like there wont be many of 'faster segments'. Even University ave has at least 10 000 crossings.
Do you know what will be the travel time from Mpls to St. Paul?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #145
Major Deegan

Likes (Received): 4019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Do you know what will be the travel time from Mpls to St. Paul?
40 mins. If you wanted to go faster, you would take the 94 express bus.

Last edited by Major Deegan; September 25th, 2013 at 03:51 AM.
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #146
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Is the stadium station below ground?
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #147
Jennifat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
Is the stadium station below ground?
Which one? There are four stadiums (Target Field, Metrodome, TCF Bank Stadium, and the future Saints Ballpark) on the Green Line...

But, no. None underground.
Jennifat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:11 PM   #148
Major Deegan

image hosted on flickr

Light Rail Shuttle by MSPdude, on Flickr

Quote:
A single car Bombardier LRV sits at Terminal 2 Station, running the free overnight shuttle that links the two terminals at MSP Airport. The shuttle starts a few hours before Blue Line service ends for the night, to provide more frequent service between the terminals. This LRV has new destination sign that can display colors, although it is not used here.
Old October 24th, 2013, 02:04 AM   #149
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Saint Paul Union Depot

The Amtrak station at Union Depot in downtown St Paul is expected to open some time after Thanksgiving this year. The current Amtrak station is in the St Paul industrial district (Midway station).

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis...ak-union-depot

Swede liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #150
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

1. Great that they're moving the station to the old down-town station which'll connect to the Green line LRT.
2. There just one train per day to Chicago? I knew inter-ctiy rail was a joke in much of the US, but srsly? 1?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #151
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

That's common unfortunately outside of Northeast Corridor. You probably know this, but unlike other most industrialized countries freight rail companies own most of the rail lines in the US. Amtrak has to seek permission to run their trains on private freight lines as far as I know. With a combination of a shitty and slow rail line thanks to decades of underinvestment, slow freight trains that has higher priority, delays, zero electrification, and long distances from Twin Cities, it's not surprising they run a train once a day to Chicago.

Last edited by LtBk; June 21st, 2014 at 06:45 AM.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #152
Swede
forumer #29

I know, I know

Also, that one train takes 9 hours. ffs! It's that issue with the freight companies owning the rails and setting the rules & speeds on 'em - again. Copenhagen-Stockholm is a slightly shorter trip (6h11m by car vs 6h21m by car according to Google Maps), but the slow over-night trains take only 8h45m with the express trains taking 5h04m.

The way local transit is being built in US cities will increase the demand for inter-city rail tho. Which in turn will mean more funding for it.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

MK Tom liked this post

Last edited by Swede; October 25th, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old October 24th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #153
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

The St Paul-Chicago train has little in common with the Copenhagen-Stockholm train except that both travel through areas populated by Viking settlers.

bongo-anders, Robi_damian, Swede liked this post
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #154
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
I know, I know

Also, that one train takes 9 hours. ffs! It's that issue with the freight companies owning the rails and setting the rules & speeds on 'em - again. Copenhagen-Stockholm is a slightly shorter trip (6h11m vs 6h21m according to Google Maps), but the slow over-night trains take only 8h45m with the express trains taking 5h04m.

The way local transit is being built in US cities will increase the demand for inter-city rail tho. Which in turn will mean more funding for it.
That assumes if there is a huge shift in opinions on mass transit in this country. Many politicians(mostly on the right) and their voter base plus conservative libertarian groups like CATO strongly oppose more investment in transit and trains.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #155
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

There's plans to run commuter rail out of that station

Also proposals to run trains to Duluth and Rochester, MN.

Personally I think there should be an extended Hiawatha that goes MSP-Madison-Milwaukee-Chicago.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #156
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

So, it's been several months... is ridership on the Red Line meeting expectations?
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #157
Major Deegan

Quote:
After the first two months of service, daily ridership is at 835 each weekday, which is 86 percent of the line’s goal by the end of the first full year of service (975) and halfway toward its 2017 goal (1,600).

The service averages 480 riders on weekend days after the first two months.

Both of these averages have risen as of July 19 when daily weekday ridership was 798 and weekend day ridership was 450.
This was in August, but I imagine the numbers stayed pretty solid.

http://sunthisweek.com/2013/08/22/ri...s-on-red-line/

Last edited by Major Deegan; October 27th, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old October 27th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #158
Major Deegan

Old October 28th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #159
Swede
forumer #29

835 per day? I was at first very, very surprised that was neough for anyone to call it "solid". So I looked back in the thread and realised the line has just 5 stops and runs from the end of the LRT outwards. 835 isn't bad given that.
Bit of a weird starting stretch for BRT in a region, but I guess it must have been way easier to get done than something more central/longer.
Old November 15th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #160
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

St. Paul Union Depot

Unfortunately Amtrak service to St Paul Union Depot downtown (and discontinuation of service to Midway station in the middle of an industrial estate) has been delayed to around mid-February.

http://www.twincities.com/stpaul/ci_...s-arrive-early

Tags
light rail transit, minneapolis