daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > Kochi

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 01:23 PM   #201
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Likes (Received): 3078

India's most grandest Art Festival- Kochi Muziris Biennale

Kochi is all set to host India’s first international Biennale in November next year, pushing the state’s tourism appeal to new heights.

A record number of 1.3mn visitors from all over the world are expected to converge at the Kochi-Muziris Biennale during the three months beginning November 2012 in the heritage zones of the city to view works by some 75 artists from 45 countries as part of a visual arts festival taking place in Kochi and Muziris – an area rich and unique in culture and history.

Internationally acclaimed Kerala-born artist-curators Bose Krishnamachari and Riyas Komu, the chief promoters of the event, are on an extensive research trip that has already taken them to Brazil, South Korea, France and Scandinavian countries besides Sharjah in the Middle East. They also expect many participants from the SAARC countries as well.

“We are also in talks with many corporate houses for sponsorship including household brands such car companies and leading banks. All these companies are interested in supporting the project and we are hoping to forge long-term relationships with them for at least three biennales. The business plan is being done by others - not by us artists,” they said.

Inspired by the world’s oldest Biennale in Venice, the Kochi-Muziris Biennale aims to bring together superstars in the art world across the globe and young local talents in the centuries old city which boasts of rich legacies of Europe, Africa, South East and Far East Asian and as well as China.

The legendary Muziris port city that existed until the flood of 1341, was discovered during the recent excavations at the nearby Kodungallur region.
The state government is building a tourism circuit there and archaeological excavation is currently underway.

Muziris is known as the gateway to Judaism, Christianity and Islam in India. The authorities hope to cash in on its rich maritime history dating back to 1st century BC. The biennale comes in handy for the southern state that wields its soft power to attract tourists.

Krishnamachari is now abroad for some 12 days every month participating in similar events and taking note of their features and ensuring the presence or high quality curators, production companies and allied supporters to make the Indian show unique and most contemporary.

The Kochi Biennale Foundation will restore the heritage buildings built by the Dutch, Portuguese, the English and the local maharajahs to their past glory and leave them to the participating artists to exhibit their works.

The cost of the maiden edition of the Biennale is estimated at Rs750mn, part of which will come as the budgetary support from the state government.

“Riyas and I had already visited many countries to meet artists, architects and curators and discuss the project with them. The response so far has been very encouraging and we expect many of them to come and participate in the event,” Krishnamachari said.

The Biennale Foundation will have a presence at the upcoming 4th International Short and Documentary Film Festival of Kerala, where they will be screening short films pertaining to Kochi-Muziris Biennale from July 31 to August 4.

“For the first time, India has its own pavilion at the 54th Venice Biennale. Our intention and vision is that Kochi will become kind of cultural hub in the future. We wanted to make it happen. That’s why we are working hard, day and night, on this project,” Krishnamachari said.

“Kochi is a melting pot of different kind of cultures. It’s almost like a larger world made into a small place. Kochiites speak 13 different languages”.
Krishnamachari left the port city in 1985 to enroll as a student at Sir JJ School of Arts in Mumbai. He’s now one of the most sought after artists and curator in India whose paintings fetch millions of rupees. His work Ghost:Transmemoir was bought by Greek art collector Dimitri Daskalopoulos for Rs15mn.
Like many Kerala migrants who return to their roots, he also has big dreams about his hometown.

He wants to develop it like Bilbao, the Spanish city that transformed itself into a successful service city following an industrial crisis, by building the Guggenheim Bilbao, along with sustainable infrastructure enabling cultural tourists to visit, and artists to work and exhibit there.

“The state can help us by conducting erudite programs and promoting cultural tourism. Once a poor industrial town, Bilbao is now one of the most well known places in the art world. The transformation is known as the Bilbao effect,” he said.

According to him, Kochi has all the qualities to get the place in the international art map. It’s an emerging IT hub which will compliment the biennale’s web-based learning and research and it’ll broaden knowledge of visual arts in India.

“The Kochi Biennale Foundation will collaborate with international heritage foundations to celebrate the rich and diverse history of Kochi. We are in talks with international arts councils such as the Dutch Heritage Council who are interested in renovating Indo-European heritage buildings in Fort Kochi for this festival,” Krishnamachari said.

“It will also be an important forum for underrepresented voices along with the celebrated”.

He feels that the absence of top class curators capable of providing museum with quality exhibitions and taking care of the historical buildings has meant the area has not been able to discover its rightful place in the art world.
For instance, the Hill Palace in Thripunithura is a wonderful place but is in very bad condition.

“We aim to provide an opportunity to elevate Indian art to an international level and create broad access and introducing new artistic expressions to a broad cross section of society,” reiterated Krishnamachari.
“If you have foresight, the amount you spend on this is nothing. This will be one of the greatest wealth people can achieve in a few years of time.”

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topic...0&parent_id=22

Voice your protest for decommissioning
MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
mohammedirshad06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 24th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #202
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Unniarchas of Kochi

It’s six in the evening. The rain is pelting down covering the city in a patch of grey.

The right time to curl up in bed, some may think but the smarter among them would beg to differ. Step into the Rotary Bala Bhavan in Panampilly Nagar as the sun goes down and a rich tradition unfolds before you.

Yes, the Kalaris of yore is a rage now. And this time around, the unniarchaas in the making are gearing up to give the brave hearts in the city stiff competition. Adithadas and kaalchuvadus are their staple diet.

A set of sweeps and swirls by the sprightly bunch is all what’s needed to make our jaws drop in awe. As we take in the exciting martial arts skills displayed by the group consisting of 11-year- olds to 45-year-olds, in walks Sivan, the inspiration behind the lot.

“Women used to view Kalari with a lot of apprehension all this while. The use of weapons while practising is one thing that made them stay away,” explains Sivan Gurukkal, the Kalari expert as he guides his dedicated team through various leg movements followed by vandana chuvadu — beautiful gliding movements in eight rounds.

As they form a pattern with swift and smooth movements, they are ready to defend themselves from attacks in any direction. “The first time I did this, my legs went shaky,” says Priya George, an entrepreneur, as she looks at the ways Kalari has become a part and parcel of her life over the past year.

“Each movement needs quick thinking, which in turn sharpens your reflexes,” she says.

A fitness freak Priya gave up her swimming sessions for the love of Kalari. Now swimming has taken a back seat and the twice a week Kalari is what recharges me,” she says. Priya and her friends just can’t stop talking about the benefits this martial art has instilled in them.

“We are lucky to be part of an ancient tradition and this gives us a heady feel each time we come in for a session,” says Rosa who is accompanied by her tiny tots Anna and Varkey, students of Choice School. Little Anna, a Class VI student, is filled with energy as she flexes her body and follows her mom’s instructions word for word. Varkey, her brother, follows in Anna’s footsteps.

If Mridula is jovial about how it has made her lose five kg, another Kalari fan, Manisha Pannicker, who runs a travel company called Silk Route Escapes, narrates how she was able to ward off an eve teaser using some of the techniques she learnt in Kalari. Manisha is happy that her travel clients are also learning a lesson or two from Sivan.

“The martial art which propagates techniques in defending yourself is something that should be learnt by all women,” says Rosa.

Even a dupatta can turn into a great weapon in your hands, says Sivan, an expert in Thekkan Shaili, who discovered the magic of Kalari after a short stint in Karate.

“Even your body gets into a self healing process in Kalari which no other form of martial arts promises. But it’s sad that it’s not given its due among other martial arts. Even Taekwondo has found a place in the school curriculum,’’ says Sivan, a Canara bank employee of the Arakkunnam branch.

“Many of the tactics like pantheerachaan are practised by tennis players as they strengthen your ankles,” says Sivan who delights in imparting his knowledge to the present generation.

He runs the Sri Agasthya Kalari in Fort Kochi, an institution accredited under the Kerala Kalari Payattu Association

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/tablo...ing-kalari-511

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old July 25th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #203
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Kochi Fashion week... All set now

The Kochi Fashion Week is around the corner and the excitement is palpable because it is the beginning of a whole new world of opportunities for so many people.

The curtain raiser for the fashion week was not only about designers and celebrities, but also an eye-opener for event managers and youngsters of Kochi who have always dreamed of being models.

Brand ambassador of the fashion week, Mamta Mohandas, feels that fashion is an attitude and the time is just right for this kind of national exposure and because of television, to an extent, international exposure too. As people living here, we seem to feel that nothing happens or moves here and we are stuck going nowhere.

We always seem to look outside whereas many people look at Kerala for inspiration. So many Bollywood movies and adds use Kerala locales, clothes and jewellery, but we don’t think much of it, maybe because we see so much of it around us, but we shouldn’t discard it like most of us do.

Sanjana Jon and James Ferreira, famous designers who were here, said that they are basically going to work with Kerala fabrics and themes. James Ferreira says he wants to only work with cottons and kasavu as he feels it suits the weather and the style of Kerala.

He says fashion is also determined by the terrain one lives in. Sanjana Jon, on the other hand, is looking forward to working in and for her homeland Kerala. And that her fashion shows always are events she dedicates to the girl child and for human rights as she feels nobody really feels what it is to go through what her brother Anand Jon is going through.

Hari Anand, the first original all-Kerala designer, was extremely happy that finally Kerala will be on the fashion map and ace photographer Ashok Koshy was looking forward to clicking the entire gamut of Kochi models.

So it’s going to be fantastic and the exposure of people from in and out of Kochi working in tandem will only be a learning process through which everyone will benefit. So cheers to the Kochi fashion week. I hope we remember that things like this is all about a lot of people getting employed and an opportunity to do what they want.

So lets cheer for the models and all working behind the scenes. Ende Keralam ethre sundaram.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/tablo...-week-here-690

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #204
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Another lifestyle Furniture showroom in Kochi

‘Innerview’ the multi-brand furniture showroom by Vilangadan group has been opened on Seaport-Airport Road, Kakkanad.

The 5000-sq-ft showroom was inaugurated by Excise Minister K Babu. The showroom offers bedroom furniture, sofa sets, dinner sets, office furniture, spring mattresses of international brands. It also markets interior accessories.

“Ten similar showrooms will be opened in the state by 2015”, said Sabu Cyriac Vilangadan, managing partner. Benny Behnan MLA and Thrikkakara municipal chairman P I Mohammad Ali, were present on the occasion.

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #205
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Kiddie Parties on Rise in Kochi

Tiny tots at Bal Vihar sit wide eyed as she narrates to them short and sweet stories that extol the values of life.

A weekly session with kids is what recharges Rajeshree Kotecha and opens her mind to their world of fun and frolic.

A world that feeds her unlimited creativity with ideas galore. For, no kiddies party in Kochi is complete these days without a creative touch from the lady.

“I love kids and that's what urged me to do something to pep their world up.” And this turned out to be of big help for doting moms who wish to throw a surprise for their little ones on their special day.

“Theme-based parties have become popular in Kochi for the past few years,” says Rajeshree, who came to Kochi after her marriage from Uttar Pradesh 20 years ago.

Successfully organising a couple of Rajasthani and Gujarathi theme weddings for her friends instilled her with confidence to venture into organising theme-based children's parties that shortly became a rage, thanks to the exciting themes on offer.

One of the favourite themes most kids ask for is Noddy, where the venue is decked up as Toyland and each of the invitees are given yellow scarves and caps to resemble the cartoon character.

A set of colour schemes is chosen to go with a certain theme and the party is ready to take off. “Moms do tip me off on the themes their child would prefer but most of the time I sit with the little ones to know exactly what they want to make their day unique. Themes with cartoon characters are popular and the challenge is to come up with new ideas,” says Rajeshree, who ensures that the themes are not repeated often.

One of her specialities are the magic parties that see the kids being transported to a magical land, where invites with rabbits pop out of hats. Rajeshree has even more colourful themes like the Jungle theme where kids can get their faces painted as animals and astrological theme with star signs et all.

“Most of the themes are decided way ahead as most of the items are not available in the city and have to be outsourced.”

Her recent theme saw kids enjoying a lesson in pottery-making in a farm-themed party, which was given an eco-friendly touch with banana leaf streamers hung all over.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/tablo...ie-parties-692

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #206
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Meet Fashion Guru- Sanjana, a Kochinite herself

She made her designing debut at the Cannes, has been the bona fide designer for international beauty pageants, and owns an impressive clientele including princesses, beauty queens, Hollywood actors and supermodels. Sanjana Jon is not just another Malayali who made it big in the global scene, but, as she puts it in her not-so-perfect Malayalam, ‘an artist who eternally draws inspiration from the place of her origin’.

In the city for Kochi International Fashion Week, she says being a fashionista is more of a balancing act. “For me fashion is something very personalized. You should always go for what suits you and never blindly follow the trend. You should always use a version customized according to your body type highlighting the best in you. Your eyes, complexion, weight, your complete body language - all this matters when it comes to what you wear,” she says.

She also adds that fashion carries cultural and regional flavours and it’s not mandatory that the ‘in things’ in global circuits are accepted everywhere. Sanjana says as a designer it’s the Renaissance era that inspired her most. “I love the Renaissance trends that brought out the best in all forms of art, be it poetry or painting. In India I love the Pre-British period where we set some fantastic fashion statements and trends.”

Though genres are no issue for her Sanjana confesses she has a special fetish for bridal wear. “Doing bridal wear has always been my forte and fascination. It’s a piece of costume so close to your heart, something you will cherish all your life,” she says.

Next to bridal wear she enjoys most doing college wear. “It’s something that reflects vibrancy, the spirit of tomorrow. Then I absolutely adore baby clothes. As of now I am planning to do an extensive line for little boys and girls.”

Sanjana, who will be in Kerala to showcase her collection at Kerala’s first major fashion event Kochi International Fashion Week, says she plans for a highly customized collection that will highlight the feel of the place. “Kerala is not marked by the profusion of colours as in Northern states. It’s the serenity of white that strikes you first and I am working on something that goes in perfect tune with the local vibes,” she says.

Sanjana, who entered the world of haute couture with her brother and celebrity designer Anand Jon, says she is just a shadow of Anand’s creative brilliance. “I owe everything I have to him. He is my guide and my inspiration. Anand is the true artist, the real fashion guru for that matter. I just followed in his footsteps. I was always in awe of what he could do and what he is capable of,” she says.

Sanjana says though she is passing through the most agonising phase of her life following Anand’s arrest she will never give up fighting. “I am fighting for my brother. We were victims to grave injustice and I am trying to brave the storm with all my might,” she says.

She also adds that she is trying to evolve from the turmoil that has encroached upon her life, “You cannot fight darkness with sticks and stones, you can only use light and that’s what I am trying to do.”

The New York based designer says her panoramic homeland is her biggest inspiration, something that sparks up her creativity constantly. “I grew up in the backwaters of Kerala and the serenity and the ambiance of our place are just amazing. I am hopefully looking forward to returning, but only with Anand,” she says.

Sanjana reveals that as of now she is involved with the activities of a big event. “I am planning something really big. For the first time in India we are going to break a world record in fashion. It’s going to be a huge event. Some over-the-top sort of thing, but highlighting our culture and tradition.”
We have seen Bollywood biggies walking the ramp for her and Sanjana says that most of the stars are her buddies, giving her a hand of support whenever needed. “Salman bahi is my rakhi brother. I have been part of his family for a long time. He is the best out there, a man with the right sense and sensibility. He appeals to me not as a star but as a genuine human being,” she says.
An activist’s outlook is the last thing you expect from someone in showbiz. But living in the midst of glam and glitz has not made Sanjana aloof to the world around her. Her shows are dedicated to the girl child campaign and she had worked with the inmates of Tihar jail for an extended period. “We, Anand and I, had decided that we will never go for fashion without meaning. We believe in ‘fashion with meaning’ whether it’s with the cancer society or the girl-child campaign.”

She says it was the grotesque visual of a lake in Rajasthan filled with female foetuses that drove her to the campaign. “That was when I woke up to reality which eventually lead to the girl child campaign. Even if it’s one drop in the ocean it means something,” she says.

http://expressbuzz.com/entertainment...on/297481.html

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #207
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Nippon Toyota Towers Inauguration at Kalamasserry.

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #208
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

The Great Onam Sale..........

With Onam hardly a month away and the demand for white goods increasing, leading manufacturers have started coming out with new ranges of products and festival offers.

Major companies are targeting an Onam business of more than Rs 600 crore, a roughly 20-25 per cent rise over last year. Sony, Samsung, Godrej, etc, have already begun campaigns.

Samsung India is eyeing festival sales of Rs 250 crore this season with its range of TVs, audio systems and cameras. Company vice-president Rajkumar Rishi said this was a 25% jump over last year. Overall sales for the fiscal were expected to be more than Rs 525 crore, he said.

Sony India is expecting a sale of Rs 110 crore between mid-July and September. This would be a more than 40% jump over last Onam season. Its range includes TVs, cameras, handycams, music systems and laptops.

Godrej has set a target of Rs 75-85 crore. This would be around double last year’s sales, company vice-president Ramesh C. said.

The other players in the sector are expected to announce gifts and festival offers in the coming days. The trade here expects the turnover to go up, especially in a market where white goods are replaced frequently.

For the industry, Onam is the first of the festival seasons of the year to be followed by Ramzan and Diwali. Hence, it gives manufacturers an indication of festival sale prospects.

It is on the basis of Onam sales that campaigns for following festival markets are decided.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/chann...n-big-onam-758

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #209
Malayaali
Registered Kochiite

Likes (Received): 2637

The Kochi Marathon 2011

Quote:
The Kochi Marathon is organised by the District Administration Ernakulam in association with Lions Club International District 324 E4 along with Heart Care Foundation (HCF), Cardiological Society of India (CSI), National Rural Health Mission (NRHM), the Southern Naval Command and The City Police.

Associations & Support
The District Administration
Lions Club of Ernakulam North representing Lions Club International District 324
Heart Care Foundation (HCF)
Cardiological Society of India (CSI)
National Rural Health Mission (NRHM)
The Southern Naval Command
The Kochi City Police
The Kochi Corporation
The GCDA
The Cochin Port Trust
Vyttila mobility hub

Event Management
The Event is managed by Y Brand Ads & Events, based in Kochi.

KOCHI MARATHON
Date 25th Sept, 2011
Time 6.00 am
Start JNI Stadium
Finish JNI Stadium
Distance 42 km

www.thekochimarathon.com
Malayaali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #210
Malayaali
Registered Kochiite

Ground Zero & Friends – Set to rock you at the FREEDOM ROCKS!
Quote:
cc: kochigallan
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #211
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

An old age revolution

In the early hours of Wednesday morning, a 30-member team set out for a picnic from Panampilly Nagar. It had all the ingredients of a picnic but the picnickers were all over 55 years old. The trip was organised by HelpAge India, an NGO, to take senior citizens out for a day of fun and frolic. “This trip is the first of its kind that we are organising. So we have restricted the number. The idea came up in a conference in Delhi. We usually organise conferences, awareness programmes and the like but this time we thought of doing something more entertaining,” said Dr Feby Mathew physiotherapist, HelpAge India.

Suja Roy, the ward councillor flagged off the bus. The picnickers enjoyed themselves by singing folk songs,’theyyakam, theyyamkam, ninne kaanan kunji pennae, injiperumjeerakam manjalukotambari, neetiaracholayy’ and the like.

Kamalam, a retired school headmistress came equipped with folk songs and like a good headmistress made the whole crowd repeat after her. The male members had more radical themes. A P J Nair shared songs on social change and revolution. “It is the song of the Sasthra Sahithya Parishad on social revolution and the idea of knowledge for power”, he told later.

Before long, the bus was already in Mattanchery Dutch Palace. Many had visited the place several times, but that did not affect their enthusiasm levels. “This is different from other trips. We get to meet a lot of people. It is a refreshment for the mind and body,” said Krishnan Nair. Visit to the Jewish synagogue, Fort Kochi and a boat ride after lunch were the other programmes in their itinerary.

Members of three organisations St Teresa’s Mercy Home Kalamassery, Oasis Nedumbassery and Panampilly Nagar Senior Citizens Welfare Forum were present.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/here-we-g...17-60-122.html

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #212
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Nimmy's Gourmet Kochi

Think about gourmet cooking in Kochi and what is the first name that pops in your mind?

Yes, Nimmy Paul.

Step into Nimmy’s spick and span home at Thevara and it’s no surprise if you’re greeted by a delicious aroma. The sweet smell of pears and pineapple, mangoes and plums cooking in a hot syrupy liquid.

“Cooking is something spiritual and should be done with utmost care,” believes this petite lady, who has been enthralling foodies with her culinary skills from her home for years.

A cooking career that started from 1991 Nimmy is today proud to look back at the years that made her a connoisseur of not only Syrian Christian food but exotic dishes that come cooked with love and care from her cosy kitchen.

“Even as a child I dreamt of playing a host to umpteen guests from abroad,” says Nimmy, who as a child enjoyed the summer holidays at her various uncles and aunts. And this is what gave her an insight to Kerala cuisine.

“I still hold to my heart my ammamma’s Kinnathappam and valliamma’s Dundy cake,” she says.

The turning point in her life came when she was invited to be a teacher at Vimalaalayam after a stint at the Cultural Academy where she learnt the nuances of home making. “It was fun,” she says and that’s when she thought of extending her knowledge in cooking to those who were likewise interested.

Soon her home was flooded with the crème de la crème of Kochi.

“There was no need for me to put up any posters or advertisements as it was just word of mouth publicity,” says Nimmy as she remembers how she brightened up her home with different themes for each class.

An X’mas cuisine was accompanied by an ‘X’masy’ theme and the perfectionist in her even saw her dicing and preparing the veggies for the students all by herself. As she dished out her favourite dish of prawn cocktail even people from the outskirts of Kochi dropped in for a lesson in cooking.

Her dream of creating an awareness among foreigners about Syrian Christian food became a reality when she was visited by one of the editors of the New York Times in 2003. A mention of his experiences at Nimmy’s changed her life altogether.

If there were just two tourists who dropped in a month initially, the number swelled in no time at all. Now there are about 40 people a month and Nimmy ensures that each of her guests is treated to the most mouth-watering dishes.

From fish moilee to melt-in-the-mouth appams, Nimmy makes sure she gives them the best possible culinary fare. An exciting experience for the lady was a visit by the Duke and Duchess of Sutherland last year.

“Many people contact me even when they get back home,” says Nimmy, who is gearing up to give a talk at the Culinary Institute of America soon.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/node/45709

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:06 AM   #213
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

Likes (Received): 2427

One-man music army. Remo Fernandez Live at Kochi

Remo Fernandes has always made music on his own terms, never depending on music companies for the release. On the eve of his concert in Kochi, he talks about his musical journey…

Remo Fernandes will be performing in Kochi this Sunday at JTpac. The maverick musician answered in detail queries relating to his music and career in an exclusive interview. Excerpts:

You were the first big Indian name in English rock and pop music in India, who dared to strike out on your own, with zero support. On looking back, how do you feel?

I'm very happy I did it, and today I'm very happy that people like you recognise it! I had all this music inside me which I needed to let out, and since no record companies were giving me a contract, I started my own small home studio in Goa, and put out my first album.

Then one thing led to another; I scored music for two films, ‘Jalwa' and ‘Trikaal', and my music went national and then international within a couple of years. Totally unexpected.

Were you ever interested in architecture?

My Dad taught me my first musical chords and instruments. He always said music was a great hobby, but that one needed something steadier as a profession. I chose architecture because it involved drawing and design, and I loved both.

But as soon as I completed the course I went full time into music… One's profession is something we have to live with for most of our lives, so we might as well choose the one we love most. Then we never work a day in our lives.

Were you completely self taught? Guitar, flute and other instruments?

Yes, totally. I still cannot read or write music. My father enrolled me in music classes when I was about seven, but was wise enough not to force me when I refused to go back.

What is your idea of fusion music? You started it long before it became a vogue.

To me fusion is anything which is not pure-breed. Pure-breed is great, but can get predictable after a while.

When different music styles and cultures are thrown together, something unexpected and uncharted emerges I must say that nothing is truly pure-breed; everything is inter-related, all music and all musicians are influenced by something or someone else, so in a wide way, all music is fusion. We ourselves are fusion.

How different is the music scene today for beginners from the days you started out?

The computer and the internet have changed everything.

Today a kid with a CPU can record himself in CD quality, and put out a song on YouTube, FaceBook, etc. If it touches people's hearts and fancies, it can spread like wild fire.

Your lyrics are about politics, about corruption, staying away from drugs and you feel deeply about such causes. Today, do you find young musicians caring about such social issues?

My songs still are about such things which touch me strongly. Do check out my last release, “India, I Cry”, on YouTube, and on my website www.remomusic.com.

Frankly, I didn't hear socio-political songs in India back then, and I don't hear them today.

You are known to hold views like outsiders should not be allowed to buy land in Goa. Isn't that parochialism?

No. It is protection for a naturally and culturally unique, precious spot in India. We ruin all our natural paradises – look what we have done to Ooty, Simla, Dehra Dun; the list is endless.

These places are simply too tiny and fragile to accommodate onslaughts of settlers and builders from all over the country.

If we keep turning all our natural resorts into metropolis, where do we go on a holiday then?

What about your shows with A. R. Rahman? What is the common factor?

Besides being stage performers, we are both composers and arrangers who can handle everything from A to Z in a recording studio. I guess that's the greatest common factor between us.

You starred in the Pepsi ad more than 20 years ago, again setting a trend. What are you planning now?

What I'm planning now is a return to square one. I'm going to resurrect the old ones, as well as record and release my earliest songs – those written during my school and college days. That ought to be fun!
DileepKS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #214
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Chevrolet launches Beat Diesel in Kochi

General Motors India on Saturday launched the diesel version of Chevrolet Beat at a function in Kochi.

The all-new Beat Diesel version has the 1.0 XSDE SMARTECH engine developed specifically for India by the GM Technical Centre in Bangalore in collaboration with GM Power-train Europe.

"Offering a diesel engine developed for Indian consumers in our most popular model is a momentous achievement for GM India," GM India President and Managing Director Karl Slym said.

"We are confident that with its best-in-segment design, performance and safety, the Beat Diesel will set a new industry benchmark and be a winner with local car buyers", he said.

http://english.samaylive.com/automob...n-of-beat.html

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:49 AM   #215
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Kochi to glow back

Heritage buildings built by the Dutch, Portuguese, the English and the local kings in Kerala’s port city of Cochin are returning to its old glory.

The buildings lying in a dilapidated condition are being restored by a group of artistes in connection with an international biennale to be held in the city in November next year. The biennale, the first of its kind in India, is expected to attract over 1 million visitors from all over the world.

Christened Cochin-Muziris Biennale, the events are scheduled to be held for three months in the heritage zones of the centuries-old city. A visual art festival displaying works of some world-famed 75 artists from 45 countries is a major highlight of the event.

The heritage buildings are being restored by the Cochin Biennale Foundation with the help of global arts councils such as the Dutch Heritage Council who are interested in renovating Indo-European heritage buildings to enable the artists to exhibit their works.

Internationally acclaimed Kerala-born artist-curators Bose Krishnamachari and Riyas Komu, the chief promoters of the event, said they would collaborate with international heritage foundations to celebrate rich and diverse history of Cochin.

“Cochin is a melting pot of different kind of cultures, which boasts of rich legacies of Europe, Africa, South East and Far East Asian and the Chinese. It’s almost like a larger world made into a small place. Our intention and vision is to turn Cochin into a kind of cultural hub in the future”, says Krishnamachari.

“The city has all the qualities to get the place on the international art map. It’s an emerging IT hub which will compliment the biennale’s web-based learning and research and it’ll broaden knowledge of visual arts in India”, he added

Another star attraction during this biennale will be Muziris, which is known as the gateway to different religions in India. The place shot into prominence after archeologists discovered remnants of a thriving port city that existed until the flood of 1341. The state government is already building a tourism circuit connecting Muziris to other tourist centres.

Krishnamachari said that Cochin and Muziris could not find its rightful place in the art world in the absence of top class curators capable of providing museum quality exhibitions and taking care of the historical buildings.

“There are some young people who really want to make this a most beautiful and very interesting place. They are working hard. We aim to provide an opportunity to elevate Indian art to an international level and create broad access and introduce new artistic expressions to a broad cross section of society”, he added.

He said that the Muziris Biennale Foundation was in talks with many corporate houses for sponsorship including household brands such as car companies and leading banks. Many companies are interested in supporting the project and happy to forge long-term relationships.

Inspired by the world’s oldest Biennale held every two years in Venice, the Muziris Biennale aims to bring together superstars in the art world across the globe and young local talents

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/displaya...rnational&col=

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:27 AM   #216
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Fasting is not new to a country like India which skips food to fight injustice — in one of the most noble fashions of protest, designed by its leaders, centuries ago.

It is also a country where every ninth month of the Islamic calendar, men and women fast from dawn to dusk, not to protest but to learn the essence of patience and spirituality, humility and submissiveness to God, for 29 or 30 days. It is the season of Ramzan.

Times have changed, habits have evolved, but certain practices seem tremain strong among the youngest blood in the lot.

Mariam Henna, a college-going teen in Kochi, says: “Even though I don’t follow all the rules of Islam, the one month of Ramzan is followed with sincerity. Fasting is observed throughout as the period awakens my mind to prayers, faith, hunger and mostly because of the yummy food during iftar!”

Mohammed Aleem, an engineering student in Kochi, feels that after 11 months of living the way one wants to, it is good to sacrifice for one month to know what poor people go through in life.

“Sacrificing all luxuries from dawn to dusk is not easy. You will learn discipline, determination and have an aim for life. Also there is the fun of thinking about the food waiting for you at the end of the day,” says.

Nihal Nazar, a final year engineering student in Kozhikode, began fasting for Ramzan as a ten-year-old ‘because everyone else was doing it’.

He says: “Later I understood the importance of doing so. It is not just about fasting food. It is a period when you talk less, control your temper, try to stay away from trouble as much as possible and spend more time on prayers.”

Faiths vary and attitudes differ from person to person. Ashik Salahudeen used to observe Ramzan as a teenager but later he stopped the practice. He continued for a few more years so as not to upset his parents.

“Then I thought that pretending is cheating. So I told my parents I won’t be observing it anymore. This is not the way to know hunger. It is when you don’t have any money to buy food and then you don’t eat — that is the way of knowing hunger. I have had that experience. There is nothing like not eating,” he says.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/tablo...-fast-lane-377

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:29 AM   #217
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

Likes (Received): 2427

Happy Ramzan, Mohammed Irshad.

Ramzan is one time we non-muslims look forward to great food. A bit paradoxic I know, since the Muslim brothers are fasting, and we just enjoy the food for dinner.

Malabar plaza offer an excellent, mouth watering collection every evening of the holy month.
DileepKS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:33 AM   #218
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
Happy Ramzan, Mohammed Irshad.

Ramzan is one time we non-muslims look forward to great food. A bit paradoxic I know, since the Muslim brothers are fasting, and we just enjoy the food for dinner.

Malabar plaza offer an excellent, mouth watering collection every evening of the holy month.
RAMADAN KAREEM TO ALL HERE!!!!

Thanks for the wishes... Waiting for evening somehow.... The heat here in UAE this time, is really making things worse... And surely Ramadan is one of the best times for a hardcore foodies like me..... Evenings surely going to rock!!!!

Dileepetta, try out Iftar specials at Karugapally Junction in Deshabhimani road. I love the Ramadan iftar special in that stretch, which has some of the best iftars in the town..... This time I am going to miss that!!!

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:44 PM   #219
Malayaali
Registered Kochiite

Ramadaan Mubarak to all!

I am currently in Kochi for few days, and am happy that i can get som hom cooked iftar items!!

Busy days, will get back to you guys, tc
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:49 PM   #220
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Ramadan Kareem Malayali....

Happy to hear!!! Enjoy the real Iftar, especially those baked with love.... Take care and we expect back here with some good pics too....

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED