SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Union Square Student Accommodation (former Minimix Concrete site) | Newcastle | 24m | 8 Fl | Completed

20K views 62 replies 18 participants last post by  Steve Ellwood 
#1 ·
Tyneside Minimix Development

Height: 24m estimated
Floors: 8
Architect: Ainsworth Spark Associates
Developer: Adderstone Group

Development Details:

- 8 storey building
- 4 office units
- 31 residential units (totalling 160 beds)
- Car parking (14 spaces)
- Cycle storage and bin storage

Schedule of Areas (Gross Internal Area)
Flats: 3568m2
Offices: 655m2
Residential Communal: 552m2
Basement: 655m2

TOTAL GIA 5430m2

Schedule of residential accommodation
Number of Flats: 31
Number of Beds: 160

The proposals will deliver quality accommodation with efficient use of brown field site in a location close to Northumbria University for potential student use, that will encourage travel by means other than by car.There is a mixture of uses and potentially two different types of residential accommodation included: studios and flats, these uses fall under C1/C3/C4 use classes.

http://planningapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/files/099F6F2B12772B6AF374D471DA086731/pdf/document-206047.pdf

Planning Application:

Erection of 8 storey building comprising of 4 office units and 31 residential units (Uses C1/C3/C4) (totalling 160 beds), with car parking (14 spaces). cycle storage and bin storage.

http://planningapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=L790DHBSAP000

The Site:

Currently:

Proposed Elevations:

Proposed Renders:

None available.

Latest News:

None available.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
This planning application was validated 2 days ago and I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere else on the forum.

I'm guessing this will become yet more student accommodation. It is just across the road from the other student accomodation they are currently on building (Winn site).

It does seem as if this area of the city is becoming more dense and built up, with City Campus East, Winn Site, New Bridge St and this proposed development and Portland Green proposals, not to mention them new student blocks near City Campus East. Its as though the city centre is slowly spreading east.

#3 ·
I mentioned this a while back in the student res scheme. Is this a new application? im nto sure the original one had any office units included, which might be a reason for a new application to be submitted. the design seems a little better, with large "opaque glazed panels" instead of plain brick and render, though i doubt Wilfburnsfan will be that pleased...

what side opposite the biscuit factory? i think there are two schemes on stoddart street, as well as the portland green thingy behind the biscuit factory.

the one on the site of the concrete factory (tyneside minimax) is bog standard and looks like this -

#4 ·
Yeah this one was just submitted on 16th August and validated 2days ago. I couldn't remember seeing it anywhere, but as you say it seems like this is a new proposal.

I wonder why they have changed it from full student res to mixed? It doesn't even mention that it is aimed just at students either, sounds like its just residential which could be used by students.

#7 ·
Today's committee is "minded to grant" an 8 storey 160-bed scheme including 8 office units at the Minimix site, Stoddart Street, i.e. between the above Metnor scheme and the railway.
Thanks for the info Greg, theres currently a project thread set up in anticipation of this development, which can be found here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1201557

NH, perhaps it might be worth copying the post over to that thread as well to keep it up to date?

#15 ·
8 storey residential building (161 units) at Tyneside Minimix (Concrete) Ltd Stoddart Street Newcastle upon Tyne

This appeared as "Granted Conditionally" on Newcastle Planning portal 06/07/12 PM

2012/0407/01/DET

Erection of 8 storey residential building (Classes C3/C4) to create 161 residential units with associated car parking (22 spaces), cycle parking (60 spaces), bin storage, plant, substation, landscaping and refuse storage following demolition of existing industrial units

Tyneside Minimix (Concrete) Ltd Stoddart Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 1AN

http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.u...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=M1PB0RBSAP000

KEN

#16 ·
I see there were a couple of conditions sign offs on the Newcastle City Council Planning Portal this week which indicate that this is still an ongoing and prospective development.

2012/0407/02/DCC | Submission of details of desk top study, ground investigation report, Stoddart Street WAC report and Measurement of Ground vibration to comply with conditions 11, 12 and 18 of permission 2012/0407/01/DET: Erection of 8 storey residential building (classes C3/C4) to create 141 residential units with associated car parking (22 spaces), cycle parking (60 spaces), bin storage, plnt, substation, landscaping and reuse storage following demolition of existing industrial units. | Tyneside Minimix (Concrete) Ltd Stoddart Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 1AN
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.u...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MHJLMVBSAP000

2012/0407/03/DCC | Submission of details of large scale drawings, construction method statement and energy efficiency measures to comply with conditions 5, 7 and 16 of permission 2012/0407/01/DET: Erection of 8 storey residential building (classes C3/C4) to create 141 residential units with associated car parking (22 spaces), cycle parking (60 spaces), bin storage, plnt, substation, landscaping and reuse storage following demolition of existing industrial units. | Tyneside Minimix (Concrete) Ltd Stoddart Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 1AN
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.u...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MJ6Z29BS07X00

#17 ·
Anyone know where Tyneside Minimix has moved to?
A quick google :

Tyneside Minimix (Concrete) Ltd
Springwell Quarry
Springwell Road
Gateshead
NE9 7SQ

http://tynesideminimix.co.uk/

Didn't realise they part of Thompsons - Since becoming part of the Thompsons Group, a well-established demolition, quarrying and building services firm based in Prudhoe.

#18 ·
Tyneside Minimix (Concrete) Ltd, Stoddart Street Newcastle - Erection of 8 storey residential building

Text and pictures below are what was posted by myself as post #170 on 10/02/13 in the "Newcastle Area STUDENT ACCOMMODATION - Developments" thread :-

Wonder if this scheme at former Minimix site is finally on the way

This from NCC Planning Portal

2012/0407/01/DET

Erection of 8 storey residential building (Classes C3/C4) to create 161 residential units with associated car parking (22 spaces), cycle parking (60 spaces), bin storage, plant, substation, landscaping and refuse storage following demolition of existing industrial units

Tyneside Minimix (Concrete) Ltd Stoddart Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 1AN

Used to look like this Google Street View image

On 10/02/13 approx 1200 took these pictures to show position after Thompsons of Prudhoe have been on site

All images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

#19 ·
Tyneside Minimix (Concrete) Ltd, Stoddart Street Newcastle - Erection of 8 storey residential building, 14/03/13

Pictures below taken by myself 14/03/13 approx 1115 showing Thompsons of Prudhoe excavator and wagon working on site area - forming "deep excavations", with also a roller on site doing consolidation of formation

Suggests work on scheme rather than just "site clearance"

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

#20 · (Edited)
Anyway, re: the new development, that whole area is becoming depressing. The total lack of open space, the feeling of "built-upness", the ridiculous over-development of individual plots (especially the student flats built on the corner of Shieldfield Lane and Stoddart Street, which should have been thre storeys at most IMO), the growing sense of a canyon-like environment with 6 or 7-storey buildings proliferating, the sheer numbers of people now living on Stoddart Street, etc.

#22 ·
Tyneside Minimix (Concrete) Ltd, Stoddart Street, Newcastle - Erection of 8 storey residential building, 29/03/13

Pictures below taken by myself Good Friday 29/03/13 approx 0930 showing that Thompsons of Prudhoe have completed their demolition works and signs on mesh fence state BRIMS are main contractor.

Pictures show state of site at that time

Contract Period would seem to be in region 18 months judging by text on "Road Closure" notice

KEN

#23 ·
Tyneside Minimix (Concrete) Ltd, Stoddart Street, Newcastle - Erection of 8 storey residential building, 30/04/13

Pictures below taken by myself Tuesday 30/04/13 approx 1100, a month on since last post, showing that Thompsons of Prudhoe have completed their demolition works, the piling rig is no longer on site and BRIMS main contractor are in process of forming foundations.

Pictures show state of site at that time

Also posted on "Student Accommodation" thread

KEN

#24 ·
Tyneside Minimix (Concrete) Ltd, Stoddart Street, Newcastle - Erection of 8 storey residential building, 31/05/13

Pictures below taken by myself Friday 31/05/13 approx 0945, a month on since last post, showing BRIMS main contractor are in still in process of forming foundations, including use of concrete pumping equipment and reinforced concrete wall to Stoddart St has been cast

Also posted to Student Accommodation thread

KEN

#25 ·
Tyneside Minimix (Concrete) Ltd, Stoddart Street, Newcastle - Erection of 8 storey residential building, 07/08/13

Pictures below taken by myself Wednesday 07/08/13 in period approx 0945 - 1000 from various locations, including on Byker Bridge to show current state of progress - first part of steel frame erected (completed Tuesday late afternoon) - images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

#26 ·
Tyneside Minimix (Concrete) Ltd, Stoddart Street, Newcastle - Erection of 8 storey student residential building, 16/08/13

9 days on from last post the pictures below, taken by myself Friday 16/08/13 in period approx 1100 - 1130 from various locations, including on Byker Bridge, to show current state of progress - further part of steel frame erected and work in progress at time of pictures - images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

#27 ·
Ouseburn student flats bring 100 building jobs via Adderstone Group

Courtesy of today's Journal Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/business/ouseburn-newcastle-student-flats-bring-5763244

Ouseburn student flats bring 100 building jobs via Adderstone Group

By The Journal - 21st August 2013

Adderstone Development Surveyor, Rachel McNutt with Brims Project Manager, Mick Morpeth on the new Union Square site

Work has begun on a £17m student apartment development in Upper Ouseburn which will create more than 100 construction jobs and accommodation for more than 200 students.

Property development company Adderstone Group is managing the project on behalf of investors, which will result in Union Square, a 228-bed apartment block on Stoddart Street in Upper Ouseburn, Newcastle.

Steel framework is now being laid on site at the development which will be completed by July next year, ready to welcome its first influx of student residents two months later.

On completion, the 68,168 sq ft project will represent one of the highest specification builds of student accommodation in the city built across an eight-floor development, comprising 146 studios with kitchenette – popular with post-graduate and international students – and 15 flats with a central kitchen and spacious communal lounge areas, each accommodating between three and six people.

There will also be car parking facilities, storage space for bicycles, high-quality broadband and Wi-Fi connectivity and a focus on security.

A show flat for the development, being carried out by construction giant Brims, will be available for viewings in the autumn.

Adderstone Group originally bought the land which was, in the past, owned by South Shields Railway Company, from landowner David Marks in 2008.

Adderstone development surveyor Rachel McNutt is managing the project and said: “The scheme will ensure a great boost for North East economy and it will help to provide very welcome high-quality, purpose-built accommodation for the city’s expanding student population.

Read more @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/business/ouseburn-newcastle-student-flats-bring-5763244

#28 ·
Tyneside Minimix (Concrete) Ltd, Stoddart Street, Newcastle - Erection of 8 storey student residential building, 01/09/13

16 days on from last post #26 the pictures below, taken by myself Sunday 01/09/13 in period approx 0945 - 1000 from various locations, to show current state of progress - further parts of steel frame erected - images hosted on Photobucket

More steelwork awaiting erection

KEN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.