daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2010, 06:59 PM   #21
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244485

Cardiff for me is really a very nice, great city; andydie more if you have please
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:44 PM   #22
andydie

Likes (Received): 25

ok here are a few more of my visit to Cardiff:

Best i had still left. Enjoy
andydie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #23
tripleseis

Likes (Received): 34

No St Davids 2?

I like Cardiff (I have a lot of atatchment to the area - my nan lives in the suburbs and some friends used to live there). I like the drive through Cathays into the city centre passing by those grand university and municipal buildings that wouldn't look out of place in the US. In fact, Philadelphia reminded me of Cardiff in that respect. It has decent pedestrianised streets, the arcades are great to explore, the bay area is good to wander around and the town has character. I like it mostly though, because it isn't Newport.
tripleseis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #24
Cariad

Likes (Received): 319

Cardiff 20 years ago was a terrible city, Industrial, high unemployment, uninspiring architecture, mainly due to heavy bombing during the war and 1960's planning. Today Cardiff has changed dramatically and is really cleaning up it's act and is now what number 5 or so in terms of shopping destinations in the UK, due the St David's, not shown in these pics. South Wales has some lovely architecture, mostly Victorian due to the Industrial Revolution when the area flourished. The future is bright for Cardiff, now Newport needs to do the same. I also think Barry could be a great town given proper investment. It has some lovely Victorian Architecture.
Old September 10th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #25
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5970

I think you are being harsh on Cardiff 20 years ago, it wasnt bombed heavilly with the city center being un touched by bombs, the redevelopers hardly touched the centers grandest areas despite an awfull scheme being proposed and despite the general poor maintenance and graffiti you saw all around the world it wasnt that bad. its come a long way most notably in the bay as this area was just wasteland as the decline of the docks had left just barren train tracks (as the export of coal didnt need large containing buildings). I would never call the civic center or castle unispiring, beyond these, buildings such as the market and building oposite, howells and david morans department stores were always grand and imposing buildings. Barry is a lovely town, its just the island that needs a revamp, but then connecting it to the Cardiff psychy is vital as no one is going to visit it in isolation anymore (at least outside the local area). Newport has come on a great way in the last few years, its just getting the poorer people out of the center and moving in the richer people.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #26
andydie

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleseis View Post
No St Davids 2?
I only had two days so thats all i could fit in
andydie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardiff, united kingdom, wales