SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

Well - it is multi story. That is good. It does not face the street. THat sucks. There is a relatively big parking area in the front. That sucks.

Is it really that f**king hard to put the stupid parking lot in the back? If we want to switch the perception of importance from vehicles to pedestrians this is not gonna do it at all.

What's in the render I can't really complain about. I guess it would be nicer to have the building in the middle of the project moved to Kennedy Blvd. to have all the buildings facing the street, but the whole thing is a major project on a road that hasn't seen much development at all. And most of that parking I would believe to be necessary for many of the rehab patients and elderly patients.

I don't know the former Ferman site though, it isn't the one just east of the Neighborhood Wal-Mart is it?

And most of that parking I would believe to be necessary for many of the rehab patients and elderly patients.
O.K. so lets say in 20 years when we have lightrail down Kennedy... How is having the building set back from the street going to help the elderly then?
And lets be honest do we really want eldery people driving in the first place!?!?! Its not like they can't move said units to be closer to the parking lots in the back.

Yes the design is o.k. and the plan is great, but we want Tampa's cityscape to actually look like a city. This project looks like it could be located in the middle of the suburbs, not on the most important east west corridor just outside the urban core.

O.K. so lets say in 20 years when we have lightrail down Kennedy... How is having the building set back from the street going to help the elderly then?
And lets be honest do we really want eldery people driving in the first place!?!?!

Yes the design is o.k. and the plan is great, but we want Tampa's cityscape to actually look like a city. This project looks like it could be located in the middle of the suburbs, not on the most important east west corridor just outside the urban core.
I agree and I've just sent a letter to the Urban Development Council about keeping the hospital to the zoning guidelines. And remember about the "Gateway to Downtown" a couple years back, what's planned wouldn't look good when the city is trying to make Kennedy the Gateway. I just thought that what the plans were right now was because of the patients that would be using this expansion.

Its not really parking in the front, those look like patient/visitor drop-offs. There isn't enough room for parking and traffic movement, so those are just drop-offs with the parking in the back in the garage. The size of the roundabouts is dictated by the turning radius of firetrucks, so its really the fire marshall's office driving the size of those. I hope they leave enough area for trees to actually get to the size shown on the rendering though. Usually they get compromised by additional paved walkways and such. Certainly better than a car lot in that location though.

The problem is that the whole project is a funnel to the empty middle rather than addressing the street. You can build a drop off without having a gaping hole that no one will want to walk past. Here's an idea - put the first building on the street facing the street and plan the other two buildings as additional wings to go away from the street. Put the garage in the back . . . It's really not that hard if you have any intention to address the street at all.

Oh, hometown democracy will be a complete mess. . . the NIMBY Manifesto

The problem is that the whole project is a funnel to the empty middle rather than addressing the street. You can build a drop off without having a gaping hole that no one will want to walk past. Here's an idea - put the first building on the street facing the street and plan the other two buildings as additional wings to go away from the street. Put the garage in the back . . . It's really not that hard if you have any intention to address the street at all.
http://southtampa2.tbo.com/content/2010/aug/25/st-hospital-planners-at-odds/

Deana Nelson, the hospital's chief operating officer, said the "fragile" conditions of patients who will stay at the hospital mandate a quiet, peaceful environment away from the noise of a busy traffic corridor.

"It's better for patient privacy," she said. "We don't want people close to the street to be able to see them, especially at night when lights would be on."

Well clearly the architect is retarded, they could easily mitigate that, and there's nothing you can do about the sound issue, but I'm sure other senior hospitals in other major cities have figured out ways by not creating a giant gaping hole in the project in the middle of an urban block. Not only is this a retarded architect, they clearly didn't do any research or site analysis.

"The city's land-use staff said hospital officials had refused to budge on a design that violates guidelines governing new construction and major renovations on Kennedy, a major corridor linking downtown and the West Shore business district.

The guidelines encourage wide sidewalks, decorative streetlights and pavers, and attractive buildings that front the boulevard. Parking should be provided along the side or rear of buildings."

And good for our council members, if anyone's going to be at fault for the death of this project its the TGH people for not conforming to guidelines.

"A central feature is a 2.5-acre parking lot," said Michael Callahan, the city's urban design coordinator. "This is not good urban design. The placing and massing of the buildings are crazy."

This amazes me... When did we start having urban designers who gave a shit!?

Deana Nelson, the hospital's chief operating officer, said the "fragile" conditions of patients who will stay at the hospital mandate a quiet, peaceful environment away from the noise of a busy traffic corridor.

"It's better for patient privacy," she said. "We don't want people close to the street to be able to see them, especially at night when lights would be on."
THen don't build it there.

Really, look at that rendering and her comment is completely idiotic. Put the rooms on the higher floor. Use decent soundproofing . . . etc

I wonder if the helicopters at TGH flying right by the rooms make any noise . . .

I know this is off topic, but what on earth is this "Hometown Democracy" all about? Why does it make such a big deal with this upcoming election? Please send me a P.M. and explain it to me. I'm totally clueless...

I wouldn't be overly worried about the gap between the east and west buildings. If you break it down its 20' close to the building, 3' planting, 24', than another 10' planting bed. That's 57' per side, the central entry being probably 32-33', for a total gap at 147'. I've done custom houses that wide and its not a ton of space, especially when its bookended by with 10+ story buildings. The high perspective angle isn't helping see it, but its a lot more dense than just about anything else around there.

THen don't build it there.

Really, look at that rendering and her comment is completely idiotic. Put the rooms on the higher floor. Use decent soundproofing . . . etc

I wonder if the helicopters at TGH flying right by the rooms make any noise . . .
Exactly what I was thinking almost word for word...

And btw, I do not support this plan as proposed. The density is great for the Kennedy corridor, and the neighborhood could sure use the redevelopment and jobs... But this project's design SUCKS so bad it doesn't even meet Tampa's urban design regulations... NO WAY should this project be approved as is. Imo, anyone who votes for this project as proposed is revealing themselves to either be incompetent or corrupt.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts