daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Manchester Construction Projects

Manchester Construction Projects Projects being built in Manchester

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #81
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 1585

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrand View Post
Make room fellas

Thanks for pointing that out GRAND. I hadn't noticed that before, but 'this is Manchester in blue'. Exactly right as you drive into the City from Trafford.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 7th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #82
jrb
10th February 2008

BTW. This sums FC United up perfectly. No need to explain why.

Newest(last) comment on the MEN story about funding being withdrawn.

Quote:
Tony Nuttall, Barnsley (05/03/2011 at 22:24)

This report is wrong.......FC United has not given up its stadium plan. The Council has indicated that it may not be possible for FC to proceed at Newton Heath. The Council has been forced into a review by the Government's reckless public expenditure cuts.

This is a shame. As Rob Ayres says, FC developing Ten Acres would have been of enormous benefit to Newton Heath and surrounding communities. This is because FC United is committed both to community involvement on its site and reaching out into communities to promote sport and wider social action, a model that all football clubs should have.

I don't blame the Council........its hand is being forced.

But, to anyone anxious to write FC off, dream on! We fully intend to build our ground and build our supporter owned club. We have raised £1.66m ourselves towards the cost of our ground. By the summer we will have raised £2m. We are 6th in our League, with every chance of the play-offs and promotion to the Conference. We had a great run in the FA Cup, through to a second round replay, a fantastic achievement for a non-league club. Today we had an attendance of 2156 at Gigg Lane. We have nearly 3500 members, who, unlike at most other football clubs, can vote on all the important policy decisions.

We are thriving.........no need to feel sorry for us. Indeed, who would not want to be a part of that? We say to all true football lovers, come on get on board with us!

*Make no mistake, we are Reds, love Manchester United and respect Manchester United fans whether they come to watch us or not. It's great when they celebrate that we have beaten Rochdale. We are Reds together. Two United but the Soul is One!*

And on the stadium plans, read the Council's statement. I think you will find the Council appreciates our contribution to Manchester and remains committed to helping us to get our own ground
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #83
TheGrand

Likes (Received): 12

Is a prominent city fan on here really trying to point score over a non league club? Thought you had bigger fish to fry nowadays, like getting those stars on your badge to actually mean something.....
TheGrand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #84
TheGrand

Bit more on the Co-Ops campaign

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...it_20m_members

Quote:
Co-op launches campaign to recruit 20m members

UNITED WE STAND FC United of Manchester’s Andy Walsh in a scene from a new Co-operative Group advert which will air for the first time today

The goal of growing the co-operative movement is highlighted in a new TV advertising campaign which kicks off today and features FC United of Manchester.

Highlighting the history of the co-operative movement – from its beginnings in Rochdale to the raft of new co-operatives – the campaign calls for consumers to "join the revolution".

Part of the Manchester-based Co-operative Group’s plan to recruit 20 million members and reinforce its ethical stance, the campaign is underpinned by a high-profile TV, press and social media campaign.

The campaign will provide guidance on how people can set up their own co-operative businesses, fund community projects, campaign for change or simply purchase ethical products and services, such as Fairtrade and ethical investments.

The media campaign showcases everyday people who, with help from the Co-operative Group, are instigating real change – everything from community owned wind-turbines to fan-owned football clubs like FC United, from urban beekeeping to young film-maker co-operatives.

The Co-operative Group’s assistance to FC United has included training and support through the Co-op’s Enterprise Hub, which helped the club launch its volunteer football coach.

Peter Marks, group chief executive, said: "Until the 1980s people understood the benefits of mutual ownership, but then the UK’s family silver was sold-off cheaply in a wave of demutualisation that weakened the influence that ordinary consumers could have on our economy.

"We are seeing momentum at grassroots level, where the Co-operative Enterprise Hub is helping new co-operative businesses set up at a rate of more than one a day, but the opportunity is much bigger than that.

"Co-operatives alone are not a panacea, but sitting alongside other business and service models, they can help address the unprecedented social, economic and environmental challenges facing the country."

The TV advert tells how the Rochdale Pioneers, who established the first successful retail co-operative in 1844, started a revolution that’s still going strong.

The Co-op now has more than 5,000 stores across the UK.

The campaign supports the group’s recently launched Ethical Plan, which sets out a number of revolutionary goals that aim to cement its reputation as the most socially responsible business in the UK.
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #85
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Is a prominent city fan on here really trying to point score over a non league club? Thought you had bigger fish to fry nowadays, like getting those stars on your badge to actually mean something.....
I just love a bit of banter with 'real United fans'.

Couldn't leave it without a sly dig ah Grand.

And here's me thinking FC and their fans have no connection or interest in City at all.
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #86
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 10

I think the council probably realised that building one football ground was probably enough. Two would have seemed extravagent.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #87
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Newell View Post
I think the council probably realised that building one football ground was probably enough. Two would have seemed extravagent.
You could always ask the council and us(seeing as we finished the stadium off) if you can borrow COMS while the banks and the hedge funds sort out who owns Old Trafford.

We saved United(not FC) once. One more time won't matter. Spare kit anyone.
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #88
Isaac Newell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
You could always ask the council and us(seeing as we finished the stadium off) if you can borrow COMS while the banks and the hedge funds sort out who owns Old Trafford.

Twice, you gave United Billy Meredith.
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #89
TheGrand

Quote:

Oh come on JRB, Im all for highlighting the flaws of Manchester United's present ownership model but lets be honest, whether you are a fan of United or City, neither set of supporters own anything of their clubs, and certainly neither set own their home grounds, so any gloating on this scale to me just seems a little hollow....unless you own the odd oil well or a half empty US shopping mall of course.

To bring this back to the thread though. FC's new home, really is going to be owned by its supporters, built through money generated through Community Shares, grant funding and supporter fund raising. And which under an Asset Lock will be owned by the club. A proper ground built and owned by Manchester people which I can honestly say, hand on heart will be MY stadium.........just got to sort out with Manchester City..Council where they want us and build the pissing thing now

Last edited by TheGrand; March 8th, 2011 at 02:22 AM.
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #90
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Oh come on JRB, Im all for highlighting the flaws of Manchester United's present ownership model but lets be honest, whether you are a fan of United or City, neither set of supporters own anything of their clubs, and certainly neither set own their home grounds, so any gloating on this scale to me just seems a little hollow....unless you own the odd oil well or a half empty US shopping mall of course.

To bring this back to the thread though. FC's new home, really is going to be owned by its supporters, built through money generated through Community Shares, grant funding and supporter fund raising. And which under an Asset Lock will be owned by the club. A proper ground built and owned by Manchester people which I can honestly say, hand on heart will be MY stadium.........just got to sort out with Manchester City..Council where they want us and build the pissing thing now
TBH I don't understand what the big fixation is about FC and their fans owning their own ground.(-£650,000 from the Council) Even though I understand the sentiment behind it.

When I first owned shares in City it initially felt good that I owned a very small slice of the club. But once the paperwork began gathering dust I never thought about it again.

When Thaksin knocked on my door and offered my £30 for my shares(originally costing £50), I took his money.(didn't have a choice TBH) It didn't bother me.

As a rule Mansour and the people that work for him are doing good by the club, the fans, the local area and East Manchester. Since buying the club he has kept most, if not all of his initial promises. The club listens to the fans and engages with them at every opportunity and level. What more could I/we ask for, apart from a trophy?

PS. I'm starting to get sick of these email questionaires, points of Blue Meetings, and being able to email and talk to senior people at the club, regarding different issues.

Last edited by jrb; March 8th, 2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old March 9th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #91
TheGrand

Quote:
TBH I don't understand what the big fixation is about FC and their fans owning their own ground.(-£650,000 from the Council) Even though I understand the sentiment behind it.

When I first owned shares in City it initially felt good that I owned a very small slice of the club. But once the paperwork began gathering dust I never thought about it again.

When Thaksin knocked on my door and offered my £30 for my shares(originally costing £50), I took his money.(didn't have a choice TBH) It didn't bother me.

As a rule Mansour and the people that work for him are doing good by the club, the fans, the local area and East Manchester. Since buying the club he has kept most, if not all of his initial promises. The club listens to the fans and engages with them at every opportunity and level. What more could I/we ask for, apart from a trophy?

PS. I'm starting to get sick of these email questionaires, points of Blue Meetings, and being able to email and talk to senior people at the club, regarding different issues.
Just to be clear jrb, the 650 grand from the council was under the assurance we'd take on the running of the sports centre and take on some of the community provision the council would have had to take on within their budgets, in short it would actually save the council money over the medium term, so it wasnt a free handout. Obviously something has changed since these assurances were given, be that the recent council settlement from Pickles or a better offer from elsewhere.

Now then, I have city mates who have expressed the exact same thing to me as you've expressed above, and in a pub we'd have a right good natter about it. But forgive me if I dont go into it now, this is a forum at the end of the day and ultimately any debate on here about such a complex issue is pointless.

But all I would say is how someone judges a situation is more times than not influenced by ones own experiences. City have not won anything in 35 years, United have won plenty but also have a Chief Exec who among other failings, told a select committee today that its right to snub supporters.

But on football governance, Ive made many comments about what I believe in and why over on the Manchester United thread, so I'll leave it at that.
Old March 9th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #92
Isaac Newell

I got a letter from FC yesterday and the opening sentence was like something from "Allo Allo"

Personally I think FC would be better off without any council connection and should start small whilst still thinking big.
Old March 14th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #93
TheGrand

Interview with FC United Board Member Adam Brown from Saturday about all things ground development

Footage courtesy of FCUM TV
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #94
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 247

I have to admit that I wish FC all the best. They have some fine principles that contrast even more so with the rest of football.

And like I say it is pleasant to hear a new development in suburban Manchester that is based on something else than Tesco's or the Metrolink.

Sadly football is less FC and more blinkered football customers/supporters, rich boy tax cheats and thugs in control.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...-tax-avoidance
and more.
http://www.christianaid.org.uk/image...eek-report.pdf

That's where the money went....

Judging by what that Adam Brown fella says above on FCUM TV (!?!?), it seems that a community venue will come about, but maybe or maybe not at Ten Acres Lane.

Perhaps they could share COMS. Half the ground sky blue, the other side red and black. (!??!?!)

Does any thing know about Manchester FA moving back to the city?

Last edited by heatonparkincakes; March 14th, 2011 at 06:03 PM.
heatonparkincakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #95
redrog

Likes (Received): 0

If any of you kind people would like to help contribute to building this wherever it may be, have a look here

You can also win 5 grand!
redrog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #96
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 247

Answer my own question. Would this be in tune with FC? IS there land aplenty there. I suspect not, but I don't know this area.

PRESS RELEASE ISSUED: Monday 7th March 2011
Manchester FA – Relocation of County FA HQ

Manchester FA can confirm that they will be re-locating their County FA administration and development headquarters. Manchester FA will vacate their current HQ at Salford Sports Village and move to The Manchester Communication Academy, located on Rochdale Road in Harpurhey, Manchester.

We anticipate the re-location move to take place within the next four to six weeks. (April 2011). However, we will keep all informed via our website www.manchesterfa.com

Chief Executive of Manchester FA; Colin Bridgford commented: “The decision by the Board of Directors to re-locate from Salford Sports Village is a business decision based on the sustainability and continued growth in our workforce. The move to Manchester Communication Academy will offer an exciting partnership opportunity and geographically, will locate us in the heart of Greater Manchester. It will provide the most outstanding facilities to assist and help us run the game effectively and professionally”.

Principal of Manchester Communication Academy; Lynne Heath commented: “We welcome this partnership with Manchester FA and look forward to the benefits this will bring, not only to our students but to this whole community”.

Sue Webster; Programme Director for BT – Lead partner of the Academy added: “A partnership between Manchester Communication Academy and Manchester FA is a good fit; both are intent on inspiring young people and making a difference in the local community. We are looking forward to working together”.

Executive member for Culture and Leisure, Cllr Mike Amesbury also added:
“Manchester City Council is delighted that Manchester FA headquarters are to be based at the Manchester Communication Academy. Manchester has football in its blood and this new partnership will drive forward the development of the game across the city and region. The new partnership builds on the existing partnership between Manchester City Council and the Manchester FA and will support the achievement of Manchester’s ambition of becoming the world’s leading city for football development”.

Colin added: Manchester FA and Salford Community Leisure will continue to work together to deliver the Football Development Plan at Salford Sports Village including the delivery of Coach Education. The development of the game in Greater Manchester now occurs over many sites and Salford Sports Village will remain a one of those key hubs that will enable us to develop and expand our football programmes.

Yours Sincerely

Colin Bridgford
Chief Executive Officer
Manchester FA
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:51 PM   #97
TheGrand

Quote:
FC United’s hunt for stadium heads into extra time

A new home for FC United will be announced next month. Bosses from the breakaway club have been locked in discussions with town hall chiefs since their plans for a 5,000 capacity stadium on Ten Acres Lane in Newton Heath collapsed last month.

At the time FC officials said they were confident of finding a new location ‘within weeks’.

Manchester council’s head of leisure Eamonn O’Rourke said a decision would be revealed in April but remained tight-lipped on where the ground would be built.

He said: "We are currently considering a number of potential locations for the FC United stadium so it would be inappropriate to comment on specific sites. We will be making an announcement next month once locations have been evaluated and a preferred site selected.

"Given the funding constraints on the council, we need to ensure the stadium delivers the greatest possible benefits with the biggest positive community impact."

FC officials would also not be drawn on the location but said they were ‘satisfied with the way things were progressing’.

It is thought a preferred site in north Manchester has been identified.

FC were formed in 2005 in protest at the Glazer family’s ownership of Manchester United.

They play at Bury’s Gigg Lane home and attract average crowds of just under 2,000 despite competing on the seventh tier of English football.

FC had raised £1.3m towards a new stadium and looked set to build it on Ten Acres Lane, a stone’s throw away from where United were born. But those plans collapsed when the council carried out a spending review and withdrew £650,000 it had pledged, blaming government funding cuts.

Club bosses remained upbeat and their optimism looks set to be rewarded.

Mr O’Rourke also denied that the Ten Acres Lane site was dropped because it was too close to Manchester City’s Eastlands home.

He added: "The Ten Acres Lane site will remain in council ownership and we are working with the Manchester Sport and Leisure Trust with a view to them bringing forward proposals which would see further investment in community sports facilities there."

FC are currently on a 13-match unbeaten run and sit fifth in the Evo-Stik Premier Division.

They reached the second round of the FA Cup this year, stunning Rochdale on the way before losing to League One pacesetters Brighton and Hove Albion in a replay.
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...nto-extra-time
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:49 PM   #98
Isaac Newell

The only realistic space I can see in north Manchester is on Lightbowne Rd or Boggart Hole Clough. Anywhere else is straying into Oldham, Rochdale and Bury.
Old April 5th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #99
jrb
10th February 2008

Moston It Is Then. Ronald Johnson Playing Fields + 750K from the Council +......(underlined)

Link to the full report at the bottom of the page.

Quote:
Manchester City Council
Report for Resolution
Report To: Executive – April 6 2011
Subject: FC United Options Review
Report of: Chief Executive – New East Manchester
Director of Neighbourhood Services

Summary

The purpose of this report is to appraise the Executive on the outcome of a review of development options for community sport facilities and a football ground linked to FC United of Manchester. FC United is a member’s owned football club constituted as an Industrial and Provident Society. The club wish to establish a 5,000 capacity stadium and accompanying community facilities, which they had originally intended to develop on an existing leisure site at Ten Acres Lane, Newton Heath.

Following confirmation of the Council’s budget settlement in December 2010 and a decision by the Council to reduce revenue expenditure on the Ten Acre Lane site, it was necessary to review the Council’s strategic priorities for investment into football facilities and to examine alternative options to deliver this development. This report identifies the Ronald Johnson Playing Field site as the preferred option for the development and authority is sought to enable FC United and officers to undertake detailed site investigation works, consult with the local community and other stakeholders and undertake detailed feasibility on the potential development.

Recommendations

The Executive is recommended to:

1. Endorse in principle the outcome of the options review and request that FC United and the City Council undertake a public consultation exercise with local residents and report back to a future meeting of the Executive on the outcome of the consultation process.

2. Agree to FC United and the City Council undertaking site investigation works and begin detailed feasibility work to enable terms to be agreed to facilitate the disposal of a long leasehold interest in the Ronald Johnson Playing Fields to FC United, the detailed terms of the proposed disposal of land will be reported at a future meeting of the Executive.

3. Agree a capital sum of £750K approved by the Executive on 22 July 2009 for improvement works at the Ronald Johnson Playing Fields is vired and applied to a revised joint scheme between FC United and Moston Juniors FC subject to Council approval. In addition, agree that the revenue costs associated with site investigations and feasibility works is approved as part of the Council’s £750k contribution and authorise the City Treasurer to make the appropriate

4. Endorse in principle that Leisure Services undertake work with the Manchester Sport and Leisure Trust to seek investment for the lifecycle replacement of the all weather pitch at Ten Acres Lane.

Financial Consequences – Capital

Executive have previously approved £750K towards the cost of improvement works at the Ronald Johnson Playing Fields (refer to report to Executive 22nd July 2009). It is proposed that this provision within the capital programme is vired to the FC United scheme subject to the provision of viable capital and revenue business cases showing sufficient funding has been secured to develop the site.

It is also intended that from this funding, the cost of the feasibility study and other expenses relating to the re-development of the business plan to the new site will be incurred. This will still be required should the scheme not go ahead and currently equates to approximately £200K.
Financial Consequences – Revenue

The majority of the site is currently let to Trustees of Moston Juniors FC who have a25 year lease which expires in 2032. The rental is £1,000 per annum, which is reviewed annually by reference to Retail Price Index. This income stream may need to be relinquished as part of the proposed surrender and grant of new lease to FC United.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/egov_do..._FC_United.pdf
Old April 5th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #100
Isaac Newell

Not a bad spot, Moston Lane has a few pubs, Dean Lane Station is nearby but I can see local opposition to building on playing fields.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: