daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2014, 10:58 PM   #181
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5952

Looks to me like they'll miss the weather protection.

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #182
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26118

On the 5th March, FTA announced list of 32 favorable transit projects for funding for 2015. Region's favored matched in red:

image hosted on flickr

image by dimlys46, on Flickr

Last edited by dimlys1994; March 6th, 2014 at 09:24 PM.
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 07:29 AM   #183
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Quote:
I am sure the site problem started long before you worked with RTD. The problem was the layout of the properties after being divided up by the biggest stockholder of the railroad then later sold to multiple entities, years prior to those plans made by the two final competing development consortiums that you saw.
I never worked with RTD? lol. I don't live anywhere Denver either.

FWIW, The entire process and reports from meetings of the DUS people was the subject of a very long thread on Skyscraperpage. The blog DenverInfill also covered it. If you dug on this site you might find some discussion as well.

At some point it made national news.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Last edited by zaphod; March 7th, 2014 at 07:35 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #184
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

A video of the first Amtrak train arriving/departing from Union Station.

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 02:14 PM   #185
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...etro-line.html

Denver breaks ground on North Metro Line
21 Mar 2014

USA: A groundbreaking ceremony for the North Metro commuter rail line in Denver was held on March 20 at the future site of 124th Avenue/Eastlake station in Thornton. Opening of the 20 km first phase is scheduled for 2018.

The initial section would follow BNSF and former Union Pacific rights-of-way from Denver Union station to 124th Avenue with five intermediate stations. A 9 km extension to 162nd Avenue/Colorado Highway 7 with one intermediate station is to be built ‘as funds become available’. Current plans envisage overhead electrification to allow the use of EMUs.

Regional Rail Partners is designing and building the first phase. The consortium comprises Graham Contracting, Balfour Beatty Rail, Stantec Consulting, Parsons Brinkerhoff, Zann & Associates, Communications Connections Consulting, Pinyon Environmental and Iron Horse Architects.

The construction timeline was shortened after Graham Contracting submitted an unsolicited proposal with technical merit in February 2013, allowing a request for proposals to be brought forward.

The project forms part of Denver Regional Transportation District’s 190 km FasTracks expansion programme for light rail and commuter rail in the Denver area.

RTD General Manager and CEO Phil Washington noted that 2014 marks the 20th anniversary of commuter rail in Denver and the 10th anniversary of voters’ approval of FasTracks. ‘It’s remarkable to see how far we’ve come. More than a year ago, this line was not set to be completed for many years. Now, because of innovative financing, working with our stakeholders and reaching out to the private sector, we are here today breaking ground on the first phase of the North Metro Rail Line.’

geometarkv liked this post
Old March 21st, 2014, 05:24 PM   #186
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

Free downtown buses

Denver will soon have two free downtown circulators, running the same end-to-end route parallel to each other two to three blocks apart.

http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/ddc_1

source: RTD flickr account (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rtd-denver/12975391955/)

Klausenburg liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #187
dimlys1994

March photo of new light rail viaduct between Belleview (E, F lines) and Dayton (H line) stops, which will be opened as new G Line in 2017, from RTD's Facebook page. Track works on this viaduct would begin in May:

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
Old April 19th, 2014, 06:31 PM   #188
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

OMG! 2017? Really? Why so slow! It's not gonna be an underground line to take that long period of time!

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #189
billfranklin
Post and Beam

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
OMG! 2017? Really? Why so slow! It's not gonna be an underground line to take that long period of time!
Public works projects in the 21st Century US are very politicized and tend to be built across multiple city boundaries. Governments at the city, county, state, and, federal levels all interact with private interests- whether as concerned voters or as property brokers. On top of these complications, the US has become a morass of regulations. Often, projects take 10 years of 'study' before the first shovel of dirt is turned over.

Combine that with state and federal governments that survive on the election monies given by a select few, and, public works are under financed in the current billionaire driven political reality.

By US standards in the 21st Century, the Fastracks buildout in Denver is both rapid, and, huge in size.

We tend not to do such things very well anymore as we have become a nation of talkers, rather than doers.

NickABQ, jonasry liked this post
billfranklin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #190
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
March photo of new light rail viaduct between Belleview (E, F lines) and Dayton (H line) stops, which will be opened as new G Line in 2017, from RTD's Facebook page. Track works on this viaduct would begin in May:
I must be smoking crack-- Google maps clearly shows the trackways completed in that area, and the G train was shown as operational on the map in the OP of this thread c. 2010, though it was suspended (presumably) due to low ridership:

Surely that photo is from elsewhere on the I-225 line.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #191
dimlys1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
I must be smoking crack-- Google maps clearly shows the trackways completed in that area, and the G train was shown as operational on the map in the OP of this thread c. 2010, though it was suspended (presumably) due to low ridership:

Surely that photo is from elsewhere on the I-225 line.
No, I think you're right, it's in Aurora. Here is description of photo:

Quote:
The median bridge on the I-225 Rail Line is a remarkable structure. It will carry light rail trains over the northbound lanes of I-225 just north of Parker Road.
Old April 20th, 2014, 06:18 AM   #192
guppyflyer

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
No, I think you're right, it's in Aurora. Here is description of photo:
The current end of line station, Nine Mile, is visible in the photo. This bridge is just beyond that station and will take trains from the highway median to the East side of the highway on their way to the Iliff station.

Source:RTD

dimlys1994 liked this post
guppyflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 07:26 AM   #193
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

I think the G line will be reinstated once that extension is completed.

This is an interesting line though, it entirely a suburb-suburb belt line which is rare in an American city. I guess the Denver tech corridor on one end and the Fitzsimmons hospital complex on the other are sufficient enough destinations?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Last edited by zaphod; April 20th, 2014 at 07:31 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #194
billfranklin
Post and Beam

Likes (Received): 47

The Aurora line

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I think the G line will be reinstated once that extension is completed.

This is an interesting line though, it entirely a suburb-suburb belt line which is rare in an American city. I guess the Denver tech corridor on one end and the Fitzsimmons hospital complex on the other are sufficient enough destinations?
Denver has it's own unique metro-characteristics.

One major characteristic is that Denver is a twin-city with Aurora, which borders most of the east side of the city of Denver. The city of Denver is almost exactly twice as populated as Aurora, but, at 325,000 Aurora is not small.

This twin cities arrangement has resulted in major conflicts between the two cities, as Denver, being it's own county, the capitol of the State, as well as a city, has always had the most political muscle. This Denver centricity between the two cities can be shown by how Denver city has an isthmus like connection that dog legs for many kilometers between Denver International Airport and the rest of Denver city.

However, as the 3rd largest city in Colorado, and, as a large city itself, Aurora has had a few cards to play when dealing with Denver over DIA, the Tech Center, and the Anschutz Medical Center. Essentially, from a commuter's standpoint, the center Aurora, as the crow flies, is far closer to these major employment centers than is downtown Denver. In addition, in the entire metro RTD package, the I-225 light rail is the only line that lies primarily in Aurora, which is the political payoff for Aurora's tax contributions to RTD.

Of course, the I-225 light rail build out has complicating factors, among which are how the route swerves to the east to serve the "new" Aurora town center, the street running around Anschutz Medical center, and interconnections with the DIA 79mpg EMU line. These issues will slow down the average speed on the line, and, make time of travel an issue.

While the ring formed by the Corridor, the Southeast, and the I-225 light rail lines and the DIA commuter line is a great positive, the time required to make the loop from DIA station through the system back to DIA will be over 2 hours. Consequently, the loop will not produce the public transportation synergies that a shorter, quicker traveled loop might. Regardless, this is a great positive.

aquaticko liked this post
billfranklin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #195
ramakrishna1984

Likes (Received): 788

Aeriel view of the construction site at the Denver Union Station redevelopment.

Complete Project Info : http://www.railway-technology.com/pr...nstation1.html
ramakrishna1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #196
dimlys1994

I'm sorry, but is that an out-of-date photo?

MK Tom liked this post
Old April 26th, 2014, 09:10 AM   #197
NickABQ

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
I'm sorry, but is that an out-of-date photo?
Quite old!

I Love South Africa
NickABQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:22 PM   #198
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

Go-ahead for Denver light rail extension
Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Map from RTD

DENVER Regional Transportation District (RTD) has approved plans for a 3.7km extension of the city's Southeast Light Rail line from Lincoln to Lone Tree, Colorado.

The extension will have three stations, including a park-and-ride facility at the RidgeGate Parkway terminus. Services will operate at five-minute intervals during peak periods and every six minutes at other times.

RTD says it expects to seek $US 92m in federal funding towards the $207m project, which is part of the authority's FasTracks expansion programme.
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:43 AM   #199
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Courtesy of Ryan Dravitz

Denver Union Station

IMG_0599
by RyanDravitz, on Flickr

IMG_0609
by RyanDravitz, on Flickr

IMG_7160