daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2015, 12:15 AM   #341
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
72km/h is very slow , hopefully they'll increase that to 160km/h...
72 km/h is the testing speed. Operating speed will probably be closer to 90-100 km/h

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2015, 12:07 PM   #342
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9997

Impressive transit expansion for a US city. Are there any other cities in the USA with as comprehensive and extensive transit expansion plans as Denver?
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #343
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
Impressive transit expansion for a US city. Are there any other cities in the USA with as comprehensive and extensive transit expansion plans as Denver?
LA , San Fransisco , Seattle , Dallas-Fort Worth (Northern Texas) and DC region to a lesser extent all have extensive plans in the works or under construction.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #344
Sterlyng65

Likes (Received): 45

That goes to show you what cities really want to make a difference in traffic, air quality, and economic growth. I'm proud of these cities that making a difference.
Sterlyng65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 01:18 PM   #345
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Photo from Joe McMillan

All Tied Up
by Joe McMillan, on Flickr

All Tied Up

Quote:
Stockpile of concrete ties for construction of RTD's Gold Line (Commuter Rail) from Denver to Wheat Ridge, Colorado, April 25, 2014.

dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post
Old October 12th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #346
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26195

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...mens-lrvs.html

Denver orders Siemens LRVs
12 Oct 2015

USA: Denver Regional Transportation District has awarded Siemens a $110m contract to supply 29 SD 160 light rail vehicles.

The LRVs are to be built at Siemens’ factory in Sacramento and are due to be delivered in early 2018. The latest order would bring RTD’s fleet of LRVs to 201, all of which have been supplied by Siemens
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #347
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

Hmm I suppose the new trains will be basically the same, which is good for costs and operations. I wonder if they will have an updated look?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #348
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Vehicles of that design aren't even produced in Europe anymore I think. It surprises me always again how oldtimer like new vehicles look like in the US. There are exceptions to that of course, but even those look like some very conservative designs in Europe, 10 years ago.

Why is that so? Excessive regulations? Different tastes? Absolutely zero money for design?

Swede liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 12:18 AM   #349
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5785

A recent change by the Federal Railroad Administration requires the use of bigger, stronger light rail cars on lines that move along freight corridors.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 02:41 PM   #350
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

--
Old October 15th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #351
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

A couple of other North American light rail systems do use the same vehicle. San Diego, Salt Lake City, Edmonton, and Calgary. 3 of these 4 are medium sized networks with multiple lines and with a decent sized fleet.

I suspect Siemens could make cosmetic changes to the external body work of the car if it was desired that they look more modern. I think the newest version of this model in Edmonton looks a bit different with a rounded front end. What wouldn't change would be all the parts inside the train and the people who are trained to fix them and the tools inside the depots. I think there is room for significant cost savings and efficiency from that which you would not get if they bought new vehicles.

Besides, urban trains last an extremely long time compared to your personal car or even a city bus or fire truck. San Diego just let go of its original trains it bought in 1980 and they were sold to a transit agency in Argentina where they'll probably get even more use.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 01:55 AM   #352
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
A couple of other North American light rail systems do use the same vehicle. San Diego, Salt Lake City, Edmonton, and Calgary. 3 of these 4 are medium sized networks with multiple lines and with a decent sized fleet. I suspect Siemens could make cosmetic changes to the external body work of the car if it was desired that they look more modern. I think the newest version of this model in Edmonton looks a bit different with a rounded front end. What wouldn't change would be all the parts inside the train and the people who are trained to fix them and the tools inside the depots. I think there is room for significant cost savings and efficiency from that which you would not get if they bought new vehicles. Besides, urban trains last an extremely long time compared to your personal car or even a city bus or fire truck. San Diego just let go of its original trains it bought in 1980 and they were sold to a transit agency in Argentina where they'll probably get even more use.
And a lot of cities have used, or are looking at doing so, the S70 trains.

I know Philly is currently interested in pursuing this model. I think Phoenix and Atlanta (along with Houston and others) are some cities that have recently used this train.

I suspect in Denver's case, they may have be extending a preexisting order? There are all kinds of reason why they would be buying more 160s rather than 70s
Old October 16th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #353
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

S70s would never work on the Philly system due to its heritage.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 02:39 AM   #354
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
A recent change by the Federal Railroad Administration requires the use of bigger, stronger light rail cars on lines that move along freight corridors.
Come on, seriously? I thought they were pushing back these pointless tank regulations. And now you are telling me they are doing the opposite, expanding its application.

You safe lives by having a proper and solid track control system, not by putting tanks on rail. The whole developed world is doing it like this (and possibly even large parts of the emerging countries and possibly even various developing countries), all but one major exception apparently.

Swede liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 04:04 AM   #355
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I know SEPTA has been looking into purchasing longer streetcars. Something like what Toronto or Budapest use.
Old October 16th, 2015, 05:33 AM   #356
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I know SEPTA has been looking into purchasing longer streetcars. Something like what Toronto or Budapest use.
More like Tacoma or Tuscon. Or possibly Boston or San Francisco. Anything bigger just won't fit in the Subway-Surface stops, or at any of the curbside locations.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 05:36 AM   #357
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

From what I gleaned from SEPTA's most recent capital plan is that they seem to be leaning towards the large articulated streetcar side of things.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 09:44 AM   #358
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
S70s would never work on the Philly system due to its heritage.
Well, all the inside info I've seen has shown S70s...I don't know if it was serving as a placeholder or not.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:25 PM   #359
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26195

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...tml?channel=00

Denver airport rail link set for April opening
Friday, October 23, 2015

DENVER Transit Partners, the PPP contractor building the East Rail A Line commuter rail link between Denver Union Station and Denver International Airport has notified Denver Regional Transportation District (RTD) that the 36.7km electrified line will be ready for service on April 22

The East, Gold and Northwest lines are being built by Denver Transit Partners, which will operate and maintain the lines under a 34-year contract with RTD. The total investment in these three lines is around $US 2.2bn

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 01:16 AM   #360
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Second Quarter 2015 Ridership numbers for Denver

Light Rail
Denver / RTD LRT - 82,700 (2015) : 0.24% +

Bus Ridership
Denver / RTD Bus - 249,000 (2015) : -1.89%

dimlys1994 liked this post