daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #101
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

Anyway, Denver has quite a network of light rail for its population, and has a consistent plan to expand it. Interestingly, the other "mountain metro" of US, Salt Lake City, has also an expanding network of light rail.

There are some drawbacks though, such as one-track segments that will be a bottleneck on any expansion of services (such as allowing no more than 8 trains per hour to Denver International Airport, as the Pena Boulevard will have a long 1-track segment). I also don't understand why are they using crap busway as a solution to connect Boulder instead of using some rail-based solution

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #102
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
It's pretty cool that RTD is building new electrified commuter rail lines instead of using diesel locomotives on freight lines.
You mean like Toronto?

Toronto is actually building a new diesel line for it's airport express if you can believe it. Many US cities like Denver are catching up on some of the older and more established large transit centres of Eastern NA.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #103
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5761

image hosted on flickr

Catch the Train, Round 3 by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

'W-Rail'
Jurky Jurkovich
March 24, 2013 @ 10:00am
Jefferson Courthouse

image hosted on flickr

'Tunnel'
Jurky Jurkovich
March 24, 2013 @ 10:30am
Jefferson Courthouse

image hosted on flickr

Round 3 Winner
'Indiana Bridge'
Jurky Jurkovich
March 11, 2013 @ 8:30am
Indiana Bridge

image hosted on flickr

Rob Winzurk
Here is a photo of an eastbound test train traveling thru The Lakewood Dry Gulch Park near Wolf and 11th. Taken around 3PM on March 19th.

image hosted on flickr

Rob Winzurk
Here is an eastbound train approaching the Sheridan Station on March 19th at 2:15PM. Taken from the Sheridan Blvd. Bridge

image hosted on flickr

Chip Sherman
Car 264 (cool ad wrap!) eastbound approaching Sheridan Station with snow covered foothills in distance.
March 11, 2013 10:00 AM
Photo was taken at Sheridan Station from public sidewalk.

image hosted on flickr

Chip Sherman
Car 264 climbed Joint Line Flyover during West Line testing March 11, 2013 with Denver skyline at upper left.
9:30 AM; I-25 and Colfax southwest of Denver.

image hosted on flickr

John Schmidt
Photo was taken of an eastbound train between Indiana Ave. and Simms/Union Ave. on 3/11/2013 at 8:15 am.

image hosted on flickr

John Schmidt
Photo was taken of an eastbound train between Indiana Ave. and Simms/Union Ave. on 3/10/2013 at 9:14 am

n20 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #104
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Terms like large, midsize, and small etc. do not have specific definitions and are based on subjective perceptions of relative size/status. In a US context, I classify metro areas over 5-6 million as the big cities, and everything below that but no smaller than say, Portland or Sacramento as midsized. Below that I'd call them small. In a global context, I'd even call Chicago a midsized city, given how many megacity metro areas there are now with millions more.

But if you want to call a describe a metro area that size as large, you're more than welcome to.
Its not the relative size which matters, its the absolut size. Everything beyond 1 Mio inhabitants can even support a full metro if the city layout is not messed up too much by car centric low density city planning. A 5 mio city can support a massive metro network, together with a dense suburban rail, tram etc network.

It might be surprising that a NA city of Denver's size can support a halfway decent light rail / commuter rail network, given their urban (or rather suburban) layout, but how big other cities are plays absolutely no role for that conclusion.
Old March 30th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #105
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

My comment has nothing to do with which city can support it. It's surprising that the city has chosen to do it (speaking specifically about creating an EMU commuter line) since few cities in NA have gone that route. In fact no US city smaller than greater DC and Philadelphia (that I know of) have electric commuter services with most seeming to prefer the option of making cheap-as-possible diesel locomotive services due to the political or cultural climate. There are a few like Portland, Austin, and San Diego with DMU service, but they're also rare.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:30 AM   #106
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

image hosted on flickr

Photo of Peña Boulevard Bridge Girder Placement, March 18, 2013 by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Photo of pier construction for Utah Junction commuter rail bridge, March 14, 2013 by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr
Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:10 PM   #107
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
My comment has nothing to do with which city can support it. It's surprising that the city has chosen to do it (speaking specifically about creating an EMU commuter line) since few cities in NA have gone that route. In fact no US city smaller than greater DC and Philadelphia (that I know of) have electric commuter services with most seeming to prefer the option of making cheap-as-possible diesel locomotive services due to the political or cultural climate. There are a few like Portland, Austin, and San Diego with DMU service, but they're also rare.
Electric commuter rail might be more expensive indeed for such low capacities that these corridors are planned for but it has some tremendous advantages, the main station downtown will not smell like an oil power plant during rush hour for example. And of course, if you plan on creating a substantial PT network, you'll reach the point eventually where electrified systems would be a clear gain, so if you expect that, it might be clever to get the real deal right away.

But the US is not really known for big PT budgets indeed. That makes Denver's achievements even the more impressive. I am really looking forward to seeing the further development especially around the station. Also the airport connection, is great. Taking the train from the airport to downtown is such a hassle free thing to do, compared to all the alternatives.

Rail_Serbia liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #108
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

image hosted on flickr

Catch the Train, Round 4 by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

Robert Winzurk, Here, receiving a friendly wave from the operator, a westbound test train at 13th and Allison St. Taken April 3rd, 2013 at 3pm

image hosted on flickr

Rob Winzurk; Here is a photo of a westbound test train west of the Kipling Bridge. Photo taken March 30th at 6:30pm.

image hosted on flickr

Rob Winzurk; Here is a westbound test train approaching the Perry Station on March 25, 2013 at 2:10pm.

image hosted on flickr

John Schmidt; This photo was taken on 4/5/2013 at 12:28 pm of a westbound train that has just passed under Union Blvd. Next stop, Red Rocks College.

image hosted on flickr

John Schmidt; Photo was taken on 3/29/2013 at 5:45 pm. Looking north at the Simms/Union, 6th Ave. bridge, an east and westbound train pass each other.

image hosted on flickr

Richard Keyes; Arriving at the Lamar Station (Sunday, April 7, 2013, 7:19 am)

image hosted on flickr

Richard Keyes; Arriving at the Federal Center Station (Sunday, April 7, 2013, 7:58 am).

image hosted on flickr

Jack Gagliardi; 3/27/13 2:47p; From Bldg 67 11th floor, Denver Federal Center

n20 liked this post
Old April 12th, 2013, 04:08 AM   #109
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1034

I'm really excited to see the effects that this new rail network has on development in and around Denver over the coming decades. I'm biased, but I'd tend to think it'll be very positive; thanks for reposting the pics, Woonsocket54.
aquaticko está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:09 AM   #110
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

DENVER | Commuter Rail

Korea-made commuter rail cars

image hosted on flickr

Entry Area by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

The entry foyer of the commuter rail car.

image hosted on flickr

RTD FasTracks First Commuter Rail Car by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

The center seating section has an aisle wide enough for wheelchair users to go from one set of doors to another.

image hosted on flickr

Interior of Commuter Rail Vehicle by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

The center seating section of the RTD commuter rail car has two-by-two seating.

image hosted on flickr

LED Display Board by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

LED display boards will show passenger information such as the upcoming station stops.

image hosted on flickr

Bicycle Racks by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

Each commuter rail car will have two bicycle areas, with two types of securement. The area can also be used for oversized luggage, golf or ski bags.

image hosted on flickr

Widened Wheelchair Access by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

The fellow in the green jacket is standing in the wheelchair space. Notice the windscreen he is leaning against; it is not as wide as the other side. The reason is to provide more space for wheelchairs and scooters to maneuver from the door to the wheelchair area.

image hosted on flickr

Car on Test track by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Tilt Test by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

The commuter rail car is put through a roll-angle test at the Hyundai Rotem plant in Changwon, South Korea.

n20 liked this post
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #111
Suburbanist
on the road

Nice train. They shouldn't allow bicycles inside it here though.
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #112
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

It really annoys me when people take their bikes on peak hour trains. It happens all the time here in Melbourne.

Regarding the Denver airport rail line, does anyone have a map of the route it will take? Will it connect the Airport direct to Denver's Union station or will there be stops in between?
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #113
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
It really annoys me when people take their bikes on peak hour trains. It happens all the time here in Melbourne.

Regarding the Denver airport rail line, does anyone have a map of the route it will take? Will it connect the Airport direct to Denver's Union station or will there be stops in between?
You can read about it here http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/ec_1

Or here: http://goo.gl/maps/Uf048 (extensive google maps lay-over)

They also have maps for the other lines/projects in Denver.
Old April 14th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #114
Slartibartfas

If peak hour transport of bikes is a problem because of carriage overload, one can limit bikes to non-peak hours. Space for bikes in trains is not wasted in any case as it allows additional standing or luggage room if no bikes are present. So why not enabling bike transport on commuter rail?
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #115
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
If peak hour transport of bikes is a problem because of carriage overload, one can limit bikes to non-peak hours. Space for bikes in trains is not wasted in any case as it allows additional standing or luggage room if no bikes are present. So why not enabling bike transport on commuter rail?
It takes away seating capacity and usually bike carrying supplement fares are not nearly high enough to cover the cost of the space taken from seats (like a person + bike not costing even 2x person-fare).
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:27 AM   #116
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

I think non-peak services allowing bicycles is a good practice- if it attracts passengers that otherwise may not use the service, better than running empty off peak trains, especially given that most American suburban commute services are very peaky. Of course, if bicycle space takes away valuable seat revenue space in peak hour services, it's not good. Another option is to make those bike spaces also usable for standing passengers, with appropriate handholds, straps etc. But the American commuter culture seems allergic to standing and there is a belief that everyone needs a seat.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #117
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
It takes away seating capacity and usually bike carrying supplement fares are not nearly high enough to cover the cost of the space taken from seats (like a person + bike not costing even 2x person-fare).
If you allow them only if there is proper space, eg outside of peak hours, there is no space that is taken away from anyone as there is sufficient space and the weight of bikes certainly don't matter anyway. That is also my very experience from the Viennese subway where off-peak bike transport is allowed and no problem at all, nor a reducing the subway's capacity where needed.
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:19 AM   #118
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Why not just have cyclists pay extra to bring their bikes during rush hour? Certainly worth the premium for the extra convenience they offer.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #119
Suburbanist
on the road

It inconvenience other passengers too much, and US commuter train system need seating capacity (if passengers have to stand, many will just drive).
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #120
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

No FRA waiver to have lighter and more efficient trains than those?

Tags
colorado, denver