daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #141
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1677

I should mention that the old G line that necessitated the expensive grade-separated junction will be reinstated when they extend the tracks north to meet the East Line at Peoria station.

Also probably made sense to build those flyovers while the rest of the freeway was under construction back in the early 2000s

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #142
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

DENVER | East Rail Line

RT&S
http://www.rtands.com/index.php/pass...ml?channel=281

Quote:
Wednesday, July 17, 2013
First track installed along Denver's East Rail Line

The Denver Regional Transportation District's (RTD) contractor for the East Rail Line, Denver Transit Partners (DTP), installed the first track toward Denver International Airport (DIA) along Peña Boulevard on July 17.

The rail and concrete ties were produced in Colorado; the rail was made from recycled steel at the EVRAZ mill in Pueblo and the ties were manufactured by Rocla Concrete Tie Inc. in Denver. The use of pocally-produced materials highlights the commitment by RTD and DTP to local jobs and to sustainability, with the use of recycled materials whenever possible.

This work is part of the construction of the RTD FasTracks East Rail Line between downtown Denver and DIA.
image hosted on flickr

RTD Track Construction to DIA by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

pudgym29 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #143
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5964

There is nothing like handling glowing metal under the glowing summer sun I guess ...

CF221 liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #144
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

East Rail Line

image hosted on flickr

Artistic rendering of Central Park Station passenger platform area by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

geometarkv liked this post
Old July 27th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #145
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Gold Line

image hosted on flickr

Artistic rendering of Arvada Ridge Station passenger platform area by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

kyah117 liked this post
Old July 27th, 2013, 03:40 AM   #146
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

East Rail Line

image hosted on flickr

Perspective photo of tracks laid along the East Rail Line by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Photo of installation of track on East Rail Line by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

Suburbanist, pudgym29 liked this post
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #147
billfranklin
Post and Beam

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
That's interesting-- I didn't know about the station being moved.

I also received this informative reply at http://denverurbanism.com/ :

Hi Tom. Thanks for your comment!

The Union Station Transit District is comprised of three elements, the Light Rail Station, the underground Regional Bus Facility, and the Commuter Rail/Amtrak Station. The distance between the Light Rail platforms and the Commuter Rail platforms is 800 feet–not three blocks. That distance, 150-feet shorter than one-half the length of the A/B/C/D/E concourses at Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport, can be traversed one of three ways: 1.) Walk at street level through the 17th Street Gardens, 2.) Take the Mall Shuttle from the Light Rail Station to the next stop at the end of the Commuter Rail station (roughly 16th and Wewatta), or 3.) Go into the Chestnut Pavilion at the Light Rail Station and walk underground through the Pedestrian Concourse inside the Bus Facility, emerging up into the Wewatta Pavilion directly next to the Commuter Rail Station or up into the Union Station Pavilion right at the door to the historic station. The underground bus facility stretches the entire length of the transit district–it’s below both the Light Rail and Commuter Rail stations. Based on the average adult walking speed of 3 MPH, the time to walk from Light Rail to Commuter Rail is approximately 3-4 minutes.

As I alluded to above, there will be a 16th Street Mall Shuttle stop directly at the end of the Commuter Rail Station (roughly 16th and Wewatta), 175 feet from the end of the Commuter Rail platforms, so boarding the Mall Shuttle from the Commuter Rail trains will be a snap.

As to why everything isn’t all stacked on top of each other right behind the historic station… not only did that plan alternative have an approximate $1 billion price tag that the project couldn’t afford, but it ultimately had engineering issues that the federal government nixed due to safety issues. There’s no room for the Light Rail, which crosses over 15th Street and Cherry Creek just one block south of the Light Rail Station, to do a sharp turn and get closer to the Commuter Rail Station without some major restructuring of the whole street grid just for a few hundred feet. Also, RTD has determined that a fraction (less than 10%) of travelers will actually be making the Light Rail-to-Commuter Rail mode transfer. Most people will be arriving/departing via one mode or the other to or from Downtown as a pedestrian or via the Mall Shuttle.

The Union Station Transit District plan also includes a new 16th Street Mall Shuttle-like service called the Downtown Circulator, a major bicycle facility, space for taxis and pedicabs, and three major public plazas. I hope that explanation helps.

I still think that 800 feet is too long, but the underground connection helps. And the Downtown Circulator will parttly address the too-many-transfers issue I brought up in post 112.
The explanation you received was made after a huge property play forced the Denver Union Station to evolve the way it has. Many of us here regard this as a tragedy, and, if, and when the system really gets busy, the station will be the weakest link in the system. The best discussions about Denver architecture, planning, and, transportation are on Skyscraperpage.com. They have very heated yet intelligent discussions.

Tom 958 liked this post

Last edited by billfranklin; July 27th, 2013 at 06:31 PM.
billfranklin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #148
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Thanks, Bill.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 06:21 PM   #149
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

image hosted on flickr

Photo of track installation and welding near 64th Avenue on the East Rail Line by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:40 AM   #150
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

New train station at Denver International Airport:

DIA Train Station progress:

image hosted on flickr

DIA Train Station by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0802 by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

South Terminal Project Overview by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0791 by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Passenger Platform by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

pudgym29 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #151
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

New commuter rail cars arriving:

image hosted on flickr

Photo of first rail car shipment to Philadelphia Sept. 22, 2013 by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Photo of the first commuter rail vehicle arriving at the Hyundai-Rotem plant in Philadelphia, Sept. 24, 2013 by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Photo of interior of the commuter rail car by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Photo of Commuter Rail Car on Test Track by Regional Transportation District, on Flickr

Last edited by desertpunk; October 18th, 2013 at 03:50 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #154
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

Will that airport link have single track sectors???
Old October 18th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #155
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

This will be a new line. With new trains. So why do they look like trains from the 70s? What's wrong with tarnsportation boards in States? Why do they order such old style looking trains?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #156
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Will that airport link have single track sectors???
I believe so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
This will be a new line. With new trains. So why do they look like trains from the 70s? What's wrong with tarnsportation boards in States? Why do they order such old style looking trains?
These are being manufactured in South Korea and have that classic NYC subway styling. If you want sleek and modern, go to Houston, or Phoenix, or Atlanta (streetcar, not MARTA), or Charlotte....
Old October 18th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #157
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

Why I don't understand is why so small windows for a system that is entirely above-ground (except some short covered section). Small windows + standing passengers = bad.

Falubaz liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 01:36 AM   #158
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5964

Probably those trains are rather designed for little to no standing passangers in regular service. The lack of holding grips along the aisles suggests that.

I also don't know if the design is so apropriate for a new system but I can understand if they want to make the system look more "classic" than it actually is.

Anyway, I am congratulating Denver for what they are doing with Fastracks, especialliy in regards to the airport connection. This rail link will put Denver in some spheres of efficient attractive airport links that many, or even most, US cities can only dream of.
Old October 21st, 2013, 01:52 AM   #159
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1677

Or rather classic Philadelphia

these are the same as the SEPTA Silverliner V, which as its name suggests is the 5th generation of an old design.

I guess RTD piggybacked on the order.

Not all new trains going into service in the USA are so fusty. Sonoma-Marin Area Rapid Transit(SMART) is buying trains from Nippon Sharyo that have a modern japanese look. In another example of doubling on the same order these are the trains Toronto is going to get for the their Airport rail link.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 07:34 AM   #160
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

Looks like a nice line. Some Denver planners should go to Toronto and teach them how to build a line instead of the expensive polluting diesel line they are building.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado, denver