daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2013, 11:43 AM   #161
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Toronto's airport line will be electric. They just don't have time to do the electrification before the Pan Am games so it will operate initially as diesel before the conversion.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2013, 04:29 PM   #162
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Probably those trains are rather designed for little to no standing passangers in regular service. The lack of holding grips along the aisles suggests that.

I also don't know if the design is so apropriate for a new system but I can understand if they want to make the system look more "classic" than it actually is.

Anyway, I am congratulating Denver for what they are doing with Fastracks, especialliy in regards to the airport connection. This rail link will put Denver in some spheres of efficient attractive airport links that many, or even most, US cities can only dream of.
I think it's dumb that we still use "classical" designs from 1970's in 21th century.

Last edited by LtBk; October 21st, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 08:43 PM   #163
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5952

Well, its a matter of preferences. Personally I would prefer a modern design but I am not dogmatic about it.
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:04 PM   #164
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

The design looks rather handsome to me! But then again, my biggest concern is that they be comfortable, efficient, and reliable.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 02:15 AM   #165
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Toronto's airport line will be electric. They just don't have time to do the electrification before the Pan Am games so it will operate initially as diesel before the conversion.
And he'll never ride it, since he lives in BC!
Old October 22nd, 2013, 03:07 AM   #166
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I think it's dumb that we still use "classical" designs from 1970's in 21th century.
The trains will be in service for 30 years, or perhaps even longer. Regardless of how modern the trains look today, they will start to look old long before they are retired.

I think about the PCCs that I used to ride everyday on the Green Line in Boston. Boston received its first PCCs in the 1930s. They were already past normal retirement age when I lived there in the 1980s. Some of the those PCCs are still in service today on the Mattapan High Speed Line.

Last edited by greg_christine; October 22nd, 2013 at 03:12 AM.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 01:33 PM   #167
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

How did I miss this? A Grand Gateway for Denver’s Transit Users

The Transport Politic's proprietor, Yonah Freemark, is down with the Union Station concept as developed, though there's quite a bit of dissent among the commenters. The question is moot now-- I just hope the concept performs as well as the optimists think it will.

One interesting observation: "According to initial estimates, the vast majority of users will not be transferring: During a typical peak hour, only about 1,000 people will be connecting between light and commuter rail, versus the 14,000 disembarking from trains overall." Maybe the rail-to-rail transfer aspect isn't as critical as I and others think.

The underground bus concourse will be very airport-like, with spare decor, moving sidewalks, and glass partitions to keep most of the diesel fumes out of the concourse itself.

So, when's it gonna open?
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 05:40 PM   #168
Tcmetro

Likes (Received): 17

I've only visited Denver once, but it seems that the Light Rail at Union Station primarily serves the outer neighborhoods but doesn't go into the core. So I would imagine most of the commuter rail riders will transfer to the 16th St or 18th/19th St shuttles or walk to the core. I do believe some sort of underground corridor is supposed to link the commuter rail, buses, and light rail, so some connectivity is certainly planned.
Old November 30th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #169
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

Photos of what Denver Union Station canopy will look like at night:

http://denverinfill.com/blog/2013/11...pdate-123.html

Very impressive!

geometarkv liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:06 AM   #170
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Some photos of Union Station in Denver courtesy of RyanD on Skyscraperpage.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:47 AM   #171
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

The faux platform cover on the right side in the last picture bugs me. Its like they went for style not substance, in a city where it snows a lot. Also the asymmetry hurts the integrity of the design. Its just blah.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:01 AM   #172
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Its where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:14 PM   #173
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
The faux platform cover on the right side in the last picture bugs me. Its like they went for style not substance, in a city where it snows a lot. Also the asymmetry hurts the integrity of the design. Its just blah.
Denver does not really get much snow in comparison with locations in the mountains and what ever snow it does get usually melts away in a few hours thanks to the Chinooks which blow hot air out of the mountains. So I think the platform cover would work well in that scenario.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #174
billfranklin
Post and Beam

Likes (Received): 47

Look at it more as a small part of a very large real estate development that took more than two decades to flesh out and you get a better idea of what this actually is. This was not designed prior to about 100 hectares being pre-zoned by developers- this was put in the smallest area possible and has many defects as a result.

I am more afraid of the cold shade in the winter than the snow- although spring snows can be a pain in Denver.

Problems will turn up in the future as there will be no room for expansion without huge investments.
billfranklin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #175
Slartibartfas

Are those platforms finished already? If so, it is really a pity that they went for an asymmetrical and rather dysfunctional platform roof design. It should be good practice of any platform to have a roof. At least if costs allow it and given the entire platform design I doubt that costs were the problem.

But don't get me wrong. I am very delighted of the project in general.

Any ideas how one could cope with the expansion dilemma? What would be the best solution there, based on what you've got now. Going underground? A new station further outwards?

Last edited by Slartibartfas; March 4th, 2014 at 09:53 PM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #176
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Here you can look at the initial design: http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/gallery...95&section=dus

It was simplified and dumbed-down, as they often do in these projects.

zaphod liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #177
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Quote:
Look at it more as a small part of a very large real estate development that took more than two decades to flesh out and you get a better idea of what this actually is. This was not designed prior to about 100 hectares being pre-zoned by developers- this was put in the smallest area possible and has many defects as a result.
I'm actually familiar with the history of this project.

There were many designs put forth and I remember vividly an extremely ambitious one from around 2006 or 2007 when FasTracks was passed that envisioned large ultra modern high rises over an underground platform with a kind of glass and steel "net" roof. It looked more like the new SF Transbay Terminal.

It is impressive what has been built, don't get me wrong.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #178
billfranklin
Post and Beam

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I'm actually familiar with the history of this project.

There were many designs put forth and I remember vividly an extremely ambitious one from around 2006 or 2007 when FasTracks was passed that envisioned large ultra modern high rises over an underground platform with a kind of glass and steel "net" roof. It looked more like the new SF Transbay Terminal.

It is impressive what has been built, don't get me wrong.
I am sure the site problem started long before you worked with RTD. The problem was the layout of the properties after being divided up by the biggest stockholder of the railroad then later sold to multiple entities, years prior to those plans made by the two final competing development consortiums that you saw.

This is a common practice, I bet.
billfranklin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #179
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Here you can look at the initial design: http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/gallery...95&section=dus

It was simplified and dumbed-down, as they often do in these projects.
Vienna main station was also simplified compared to early renders, substantially in fact. But no one would have ever got the idea of cancelling the platform roof. The Berliner main station actually saw the roof of its upper platform shortened, that means some outer parts are not covered. But no one would have dared to keep entire platforms unprotected. Skipping platform roofs is a design flaw only second to leaving out the rail tracks.

The canapy looks great but also totally dysfunctional. Don't get me wrong, design and appearence is important and that is why I think its a nice thing to have. But that does not mean skipping some of the most fundamental functions of a station is a very clever thing. I don't know how much it rains and snows in Denver but it certainly does and every single day it does the people will be beyond annoyed. But good news is that it seems very easy to retrofit the platforms once the authorities change their mind. And they will. As soon as some regular passangers have to use it and the weather turns sour. The outcry won't stop until there's a rain/snow protection on every platform

Last edited by Slartibartfas; March 5th, 2014 at 08:48 PM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #180
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Denver Climatology

Code:
MONTH Av. MAX  Av. MIN   Avg.     Precip      ABS MAXIMUM      ABS MINIMUM
Jan	8C	-9C	0C	16.3 mm	26C (1982)	-29C (1984)
Feb	9C	-8C	1C	18.5 mm	25C (1982)	-31C (1989)
Mar	13C	-4C	5C	47.8 mm	29C (1986)	-22C (2002)
Apr	17C	1C	9C	55.9 mm	33C (1992)	-16C (1997)
May	22C	6C	14C	65.0 mm	36C (2003)	-6C (1989)
Jun	27C	10C	19C	52.1 mm	39C (1990)	1C (1998)
Jul	31C	13C	22C	42.7 mm	39C (1990)	4C (1987)
Aug	30C	12C	21C	51.1 mm	39C (2002)	3C (1992)
Sep	26C	7C	16C	28.7 mm	38C (1990)	-10C (1985)
Oct	19C	1C	10C	36.3 mm	34C (1991)	-17C (1993)
Nov	12C	-5C	4C	27.7 mm	29C (1990)	-21C (1993)
Dec	8C	-9C	-1C	21.1 mm	24C (1998)	-31C (1990)

Tags
colorado, denver