daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2008, 04:38 PM   #101
la bestia kuit
De acá

Likes (Received): 216

95 years of Buenos Aires subway system

Today, December 1st, is the 95th aniversary of the Buenos Aires Subway system, the first line of this network (line A) was inaugurated in 1913, being the first of its kind in Latin America and in the entire Southern Hemisphere.
Today the system is 52km long, and new lines and stations are being builted, the entire network is underground, and here are some pictures of his history till now.

from the site: www.enelsubte.com

construction photos

working

...Divididos desde siempre, desde el aula hasta el bar...
la bestia kuit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM   #102
Linnea2

Likes (Received): 0

Happy anniversary/Feliz cumple.
When in BA, I always take a ride on the "A" route.
Linnea2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:08 AM   #103
Dugommier
Penisless

Likes (Received): 374

Happy Birthday Subte!!!
Old January 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM   #104
nomadpix

Hi...can anyone please tell me any more information on the mural "Las Primeras Luces" , mural del pintor Fernando Allievi en la Estación Retiro de la Línea "C"

I have taken a picture of it and would love to know why it was painted...there was a plaque next to it but i could not understand it, thank you!
nomadpix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:41 AM   #105
Linnea2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen View Post
Nice pics. The stations and train look really clean. Is this a new line?
The net expansion is very slow and infrequent. The first line dates back to 1913. By the ´40s the city had 5 underground lines, named A, B, C, D, E. The H opened only by 2007 if I´m not wrong. There where no extensions for a long time, so the expansions of lines (A, D, H) are relatively recent. There are plans for more construction, including new lines.
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #106
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1142

The photo No. 12, 14 & 16 from the top, there are 3 pictures of Buenos Aires tram. That was the old system which was closed in 1962. In 1980, tram returned here as a heritage service (Tranvia Historico), then in 1987 as a modern service (Premetro E2), and in 2007 as another modern service (Puerto Madero Tranvia)

I’ve some question about those 3 photos.
1) In the 12th photo, two trams were moving probably in front of a metro entrance get. The gate was described in Spanish as – ‘ENTRADA AMBAS DIRECCIONES’. What does it mean in English?
2) The tram (s) was running through route 15. What was the two points of that route?
3) In the 14th photo, three trams were moving parallel with the metro line. Probably, a branch tram line was turned rightward from the main street. What is the place? Can anybody snap a photo of the same place on same angle and post in this thread, for showing how this road shows today?
4) When the subway line constructed, was the road surface dug, and tramway line temporarily closed? Or shield tunneling used for that portion?
5) In the 16th photo, is that vehicle is tram or metro which is getting out from depot?
6) I’ve read in various sources including Wikipedia that line A was actually opened as an underground tram. Part of the line was underground and other part was on surface. So that a specialized vehicle (probably seen in the 16th photo) was used, with both high and low floor. The low floor was used on surface when it acts like tram, and high floor was used under the ground when it acts like metro. That vehicle was shown in present heritage tram depot also; at although it is not used as a metro on line A, it sometime runs as a heritage tram on street level. Is it true, please clear my confusion.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #107
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde

Likes (Received): 47

Wonderful thread!
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #108
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
... The gate was described in Spanish as – ‘ENTRADA AMBAS DIRECCIONES’. What does it mean in English?
BOTH DIRECTION ENTRANCE.
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #109
Agustin_M
Porteño

Likes (Received): 1661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
I’ve some question about those 3 photos.
1) In the 12th photo, two trams were moving probably in front of a metro entrance get. The gate was described in Spanish as – ‘ENTRADA AMBAS DIRECCIONES’. What does it mean in English?
2) The tram (s) was running through route 15. What was the two points of that route?
3) In the 14th photo, three trams were moving parallel with the metro line. Probably, a branch tram line was turned rightward from the main street. What is the place? Can anybody snap a photo of the same place on same angle and post in this thread, for showing how this road shows today?
4) When the subway line constructed, was the road surface dug, and tramway line temporarily closed? Or shield tunneling used for that portion?
5) In the 16th photo, is that vehicle is tram or metro which is getting out from depot?
6) I’ve read in various sources including Wikipedia that line A was actually opened as an underground tram. Part of the line was underground and other part was on surface. So that a specialized vehicle (probably seen in the 16th photo) was used, with both high and low floor. The low floor was used on surface when it acts like tram, and high floor was used under the ground when it acts like metro. That vehicle was shown in present heritage tram depot also; at although it is not used as a metro on line A, it sometime runs as a heritage tram on street level. Is it true, please clear my confusion.
2) I can't answer question nº2, I've searched in an old street guide (1953), but there is no tramway 15!

3) Photo nº 14 is was taken in Corrientes Ave. but I can't recognize the exact corner, because there is no name in the station entrance (Just that subway line's owners in that time, Lacroze brothers). It can be Florida station or Uruguay Station... I can't see the Obelisco but I'm almost sure that the photo depicts Buenos Aires downtown.

4) When line A was constructed, the road surface was dug (Avenida de Mayo and Avenida Rivadavia), but for the line B shield tunneling was used in its central section (from Carlos Gardel to L.N. Alem).

5) That is a metro.

6) Yes, line A was opened as an underground tramway from Plaza de Mayo to Primera Junta, and it went on surface from Pra. Junta to Lacarra Ave. That last part was closed later, and the only section that goes on surface nowadays is from Primera junta station to the "polvorines" garage.

That's all I can help you... now somebody help me, please!
Agustin_M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #110
Linnea2

"Entrada ambas direcciones" roughly means "Entrance to both directions".
The vehicle seen at the depot is a "dual purpose" surface/subway car; when line A was cutted at Primera Junta it became wholly underground, and the cars were refurbished. Services beyond this point were covered by tramway route 1.
Tram 15 seems to belong to the Lacroze company; perhaps the route was deleted later. In 1935 there was a tram route 15 Chacarita-Reconquista.
The road with the 3 trams may be Avenida Corrientes, as subway line B (built by Lacroze) runs beneath.

Last edited by Linnea2; March 9th, 2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #111
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1142

Endless thanks both of you for answering me. Long live Buenos Aires metro.

The latest Buenos Aires metro map can be found by clicking this link – http://www.urbanrail.net/am/buen/bue...s-map-full.gif

This is the master plan of Buenos Aires metro - http://www.urbanrail.net/am/buen/ba-projects.gif
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #112
Linnea2

Thanks for the links.
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #113
la bestia kuit
De acá

BUENOS AIRES | Subway

Buenos Aires Subway system
Heavy rail: 6 lines - all underground - 52,3 km
Light rail: 2 lines - all surface - 9 km

-Line A
-Line B
-Line C
-Line D
-Line E
-Line H
-South city tram (wrongly know as premetro)
-East tram (short operating line for test propuse but in service)

Buenos aires commuter system
5 Corridors: 815 Km
-Corridor Roca: 4 lines - heavy rail -diesel & electric
-Corridor Belgrano South : 2 lines - heavy rail - diesel
-Corridor Sarmiento: 1 line - heavy rail - electric
-Corridor San Martin: 1 line - heavy rail - diesel
-Corridor Belgrano North : 1 line - heavy rail - diesel
-Corridor Urquiza: 1 line - heavy rail - electric
-Corridor Mitre: 3 lines - heavy rail - electric
-Corridor Mitre: 1 line - light rail - electric

Photos: Haciendo via and flickr

Buenos Aires Subway system (here know as subte)

Line A
(historic metro cars, in service since 1913 )

Line B
(the wide of this metro allow to some locomotives work in the tunnel, untill the 50´s, freigth trains used this line while was out of public service)

Line C

Line D

Line E

Line H

South west city tram (know as premetro)

East city tram (short operating line)

Buenos aires commuter system
5 Corridors:
-Corridor Roca: 5 lines

-Corridor Belgrano South : 2 lines

-Corridor Sarmiento: 1 line

-Corridor San Martin: 1 line

-Corridor Belgrano North : 1 line

-Corridor Urquiza: 1 line

-Corridor Mitre: 3 lines

-Corridor Mitre: light rail

the_10 liked this post

Last edited by dimlys1994; March 5th, 2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #114
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8806

Thanks for the overview! I love the trains used on Line A - the interiors are something else!
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #115
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

The thing about the new tram is, that they built it in the middle of nowhere. nobody uses it. It's exactly in between places where it would be needed. They should built in along Puerto Madero with conection to metro lines at both ends. That way it could be used by more ppl. I was really wonderring when i saw it, why they put the line in that weird place. Are they going to extend the new tram towards La Boca and on the other hand to the Retiro stn? That would be the only logic way to make that line be more useful.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #116
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

When last I heard, they're in the process of rebuilding and modernising the Subte's old Siemens trains.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #117
la bestia kuit
De acá

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Thanks for the overview! I love the trains used on Line A - the interiors are something else!
in did...
picture by Matías Rykaczewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
The thing about the new tram is, that they built it in the middle of nowhere. nobody uses it. It's exactly in between places where it would be needed. They should built in along Puerto Madero with conection to metro lines at both ends. That way it could be used by more ppl. I was really wonderring when i saw it, why they put the line in that weird place. Are they going to extend the new tram towards La Boca and on the other hand to the Retiro stn? That would be the only logic way to make that line be more useful.
It´s suposed to start this year, but never did, I don´t know realy when they planning to do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
When last I heard, they're in the process of rebuilding and modernising the Subte's old Siemens trains.
yep, in a EMEPA work shop, 100km from Bs As.

Old September 5th, 2010, 03:47 AM   #118
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

nice pics
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #119
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bestia kuit View Post
in did...
picture by Matías Rykaczewski
This is amazing!!!

BTW this map is pretty old
Quote:
Originally Posted by la bestia kuit View Post

Here's a newer one from www.urbanrail.net

Old September 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #120
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

Here's a nice map I found on www.urbanrail.net , showing Metro, Ferrocarriles and Tram:
http://sites.google.com/a/estudiosuizo.com/dfamba/
You'll have to press the purple "aquí" button to see the map.

Tags
buenos aires