daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #161
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Some construction photos of the Linea H extension.

Photos taken by EzeBA
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #162
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

la ultima
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:27 AM   #163
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1144

When the construction of subway started, were the previous tram tracks (closed in sixties) discovered under the road surface in the time of digging?

Actually, Buenos Aires has three separate tram systems.
Buenos Aires once had a very very large tram network (857 Km, approximately 535 miles). It was included street running, reserved track, and underground (first and only in South America) tramlines. Almost every streets and roads of this city carried tramlines, some were single and some were double track. The metro line A, started its life as an underground tramline. Its tram network was extended also to suburbs. It was being operated by 12 different private companies; one of them, the Anglo-Argentine Tramways Co., which started metro line A as an underground tram line, being perhaps the greatest in the world, with a total of 675 Km of tracks (420 miles approx.), a fleet of more than 3.000 cars served by 12.000 employees. Not in vain during some decades Buenos Aires was known as the "City of Trams". But very unfortunately, all this magnificence was maintained up to the forties was sustained and had a surge at the beginning of the sixties, being abruptly cut off at the end of 1962 due to a political decision.

After near 15 years, trams returned in Buenos Aires in 1980 as a heritage system, using same type of rolling stocks used before closure, and runs on a circular route. Its gaining popularity mainly among tourists inspired inhabitants of Buenos Aires to open a modern, high speed, reserve track tram service. This happened in 1987 with opening of 'premetro' tram. It became very popular in southern Buenos Aires, and after 20 years, another completely separate modern, high speed, reserve track tram service opened in eastern Buenos Aires, named 'tranvia del este'. These three systems are completely unlinked (although linked by metro), and use different rolling stocks. Both 'premetro' tram and 'tranvia del este' tram are popular among daily passengers, which uses feeder like service of the South America's oldest metro system.

Tranvia Del Este stocks are same as Mulhouse tram.

At last there are two requests –
1) Can anybody give me some link or paste photo of a pre 1966 tram map?

2) When the construction of MODERN TRAMWAYS started, were the previous tram tracks (closed in sixties) discovered under the road surface in the time of digging?
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM   #164
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

I wonder if Urquiza would ever be counted together with the subte lines as a metro system. That is, unless all lines run by Metrovias are counted as a metro network.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:24 PM   #165
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #166
Ashis Mitra

When the construction of MODERN TRAM-WAYS started, were the previous tram tracks (closed in sixties) discovered under the road surface in the time of digging?
Old December 28th, 2010, 02:34 AM   #167
Luli Pop
BANNED

here you have a map of BA's tram network: http://img695.imageshack.us/i/mapatranvias1924.jpg

Old December 28th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #168
Ashis Mitra

wow, what a gigantic tram network was then!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #169
Luli Pop
BANNED

look at the scale: red line is 2.8km

this was in 1924, by the 40s the network was more dense.

still this is just "intramuros" BA, there were also tram networks in the suburbs.

by 1924 the network in downtown BA had 875 Km of track, more than 3.000 trams, 12.000 employees, 99 lines, and 650.000.000 pax a year.

the saddest thing is that all the tracks were renewed when a coup d'etat allied with CIA detroyed the system.
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #170
sbon

Likes (Received): 0

I'll be making my first visit to BsAs next month and I plan on taking one day to just ride trains - I CANNOT WAIT

Now, I have a question for you locals or those who are familiar with Buenos Aires and its trains... How safe is it for a non-Spanish speaker? I speak Italian and a little French, so I'm not particularly worried about any language barriers in more tourist-friendly areas, but should I drag one of my friends' cousins with me for the train rides?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to posting my photos when I get back in March.
sbon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #171
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbon View Post
I'll be making my first visit to BsAs next month and I plan on taking one day to just ride trains - I CANNOT WAIT

Now, I have a question for you locals or those who are familiar with Buenos Aires and its trains... How safe is it for a non-Spanish speaker? I speak Italian and a little French, so I'm not particularly worried about any language barriers in more tourist-friendly areas, but should I drag one of my friends' cousins with me for the train rides?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to posting my photos when I get back in March.
The Subte is pretty safe overall although you might have to watch out for pickpockets. Also make sure you get a chance to ride the "A" line, you certainly will not see anything like it anywhere else (and is a tourist attraction in it's own right).
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #172
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

In two years' time, the subte will be 100 years old.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:31 AM   #173
MatuARG

Likes (Received): 5684

Reading this thread made me so proud of living in the street in which the hertiage Tram runs on weekends.

it's a paradox that the city od trams was in fact one of the pioneers of the actual transit bus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colectivo
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #174
MatuARG

The new Corrientes H line station recently opened (pics stolen from SSC Argentina ):

the line has Tango inspired decoration this station has one in memory of Enrique Santos Discepolo a famous tango composer author of the "cambalache".

Pictures: La Nacion
Old February 6th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #175
MatuARG

Future Stations about to be opened:October 2011 aprox..

Echeverria (line B):

Villa urquiza (Linea B):

Flores (linea A)

San Pedrito (linea A)

this is a nice extra pic of the A line in 1912/1913

Pics: www.haciendovia.com, clarin, la razon and SSC Arg.
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #176
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

Line H at Corrientes and the transfer with Line B were loooooong needed! Next step is to link it with Line D so the system can offer a real bypass of the city centre. When is it planned for?

Other questions, regarding the extensions. Line E extension to Retiro will open at the same time or do they plan to open Correo Central station first? And what is the status of Line D extension to Manuela Pedraza?
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #177
MatuARG

the extesion of the E line will be opened first the Correo Central station (B line transfer), when the "Centro cultural Bicentenario" it's fully complete and then to Catalinas and Retiro. (rumors not 100% sure)

the H line to the north it's not under construccion but probably (with a bit of luck) it will start on july-september 2011
to the north:Santa fé (D line),Las Heras, 9 de julio y Plaza Francia
and to the south:Saenz(Belgrano Sur commuter train) and posibliy Nueva Pompeya

the D line it's not planed to be extended to Manuela Pedraza, not in the Actual law, the 670 city law approves the folowing map.

the actual goverment it's trying to close a deal with the Chinese to build the G line (I personally think that the F line it's more important)

image hosted on flickr
Old February 7th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #178
constipation

Likes (Received): 119

argentina used to be rich country previously before economic crisis in 2001. Sorry for asking this,are you argentinian government still can afford to build a new subway line? since your currency plunged to ARG PESO 4 = USD1, expensive isnt' it to build new line. The cost and material is expensive nowadays.

p/s:it's not sarcastic, but i am just curious
constipation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #179
MatuARG

yes, the gov. has money to build subway lines.

Before the 2001 Crisis people in argentina were rich but the goverment was bankrupt so, back then it was not posible to afford a new line, today the gov. of Buenos Aires (responsable for the Subte expansion) has an anual budget(in U$D) 5 times bigger than 8 years ago.

and it's a fact that since 2002 the Subte has seen it's biggest expansion since the 50's
11 Stations opened and 9 more under construction
Old February 7th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #180
MatuARG

Some Pics of the puerto madero useless Tram:

Buenos Aires Heritage tram (only the weekends in "Caballito")

Interesting link of the history of BA trams
http://www.tranvia.org.ar/tranvias/ciudaddebsas.htm

Tags
buenos aires