daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #1
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2110

Railroad crossings

What about seeing some railroad crossings?

Just near my home in Bologna there's this one (pics are taken from my window):

the railroad is that of "Ferrovia suburbana" which is sort of hybrid between a common railrod, a tramway and a ground-level tube.

I find this particular intersection is quite dangerous since just at the end of the car queue in the previous picture there is this road intersection:

as you can see some cars are in queue in the middle of the intersection. Sometimes during rush hour queues are even longer and block the intersection altogether.

What about railroad crossing you find dangerous, crazy, or nice?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #2
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Railroad crossings and traffic lights can be linked, thus preventing blocking of the intersection by waiting traffic.
Ask for it at your local alderman
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

There are some photos in the "Trains running on streets" thread:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724678

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #4
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Majority of them are not railroad crossing but railroads on the street... it's a bit different...
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #5
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

A typical Dutch railroad crossing:

There are subsidies by the national government to eliminate railroad crossings in municipalities. They can get a subsidy for building a tunnel, which happens quite often. New railroad crossings in urban developments are nearly always grade-separated, usually with a tunnel.

This is a typical railroad tunnel in a new development:
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Majority of them are not railroad crossing but railroads on the street... it's a bit different...
Sometimes tracks on streets are protected with the same signals used for level crossings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
the railroad is that of "Ferrovia suburbana" which is sort of hybrid between a common railrod, a tramway and a ground-level tube.
It is a pure interurban railway.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #7
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Sometimes tracks on streets are protected with the same signals used for level crossings.
Yes, thanks for pointing me to that thread, it was interesting indeed.

Quote:
It is a pure interurban railway.
Well, it's INTRAurban... it does not connect different cities but just the suburbs of Bologna, and in some cases little towns near the city.
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #8
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Come to think of it, my city (Zwolle) has 6 railway lines that converge to a single train station, and a population of 120.000 inhabitants, yet there are only 4 at-grade railway crossing in the entire city! And 3 of them are on the same railway leg.

I guess there's some history behind it. When the railways were constructed, they were only running along the edge of the town, bypassing what is now the old city center and the oldest neighborhoods. Zwolle developed rather late (from the 1950's onwards), so every new development was constructed with grade-separation in mind.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #9
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Some years ago there were more railway crossings in the same line I showed you in my pics... they built tunnels to underpass some roads but this intersection and another one half a kilometer away remained.

The problem here is that it's difficult to build an underpass: the railway would be to steep. And then again, you cannot build a road overpass, because there are many buildings that would not have access to the road.
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:43 AM   #10
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

There's a railroad crossing in Slovenia with a railroad station on it (here). It's on the Ljubljana-Ptuj road. It's also a major railroad junction where they separate waggons going from Ljubljana to Maribor from waggons going from Ljubljana to Budapest. Not to mention long cargo trains. I remember we usually had to wait about half an hour before the railroad crossing (by car), with long queues. They finally built a road bypass 6 years ago.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #11
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17035

Railways in the Northeastern US were built mainly grade separated , but as new roads were built between 1960s-80s many lines had grade crossings. The Morris & Essex Network is 57 miles / 93kms all of that used to be grade separated but now there are 12 on the Diesel part and 8 on the Electric part of the Network. 25 miles is completely grade Separated. I don't think that network will see anymore grade separating. Most lines in NJ are Grade Separated , although the lines in South Jersey aren't. The Max speed over a crossing is 110mph in my state , although only express trains do that on the Electric lines. There are a few grade crossings in my state that should be grade separated but can't due to lack of space , theres one along the Main-Bergen and Port Jervis lines in Ramsey,NJ which is the worst of the worst. During Rush hour trains run every 10 mins through that crossing , delays can stretch up to 1mi on both sides and since its in the heart of downtown its bad. The good thing is there are alt's about 2000ft North and 1 mile north theres a highway alt route , bad news is reaching them or using them can put you way off course.....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #12
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
There's a railroad crossing in Slovenia with a railroad station on it (here). It's on the Ljubljana-Ptuj road. It's also a major railroad junction where they separate waggons going from Ljubljana to Maribor from waggons going from Ljubljana to Budapest. Not to mention long cargo trains. I remember we usually had to wait about half an hour before the railroad crossing (by car), with long queues. They finally built a road bypass 6 years ago.
i have noticed that Slovenia has started to change color scheme at railroad crossings from red-yellow combination to red-white. when did that happen? in Croatia we changed scheme together with other signs, but in SLO at railroad crossings yellow colour remained, till now, right?
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #13
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

We had a really really dangerous railroad crossing here in Huesca. In the 80's, it was planned an elevated railway with a new station to replace the current one. On the last decade, a bigger intermodal station was built and the railroad bypassed, giving away the trains from the city. That bypass is fully grade separated (But now I hate having to climb those "mountain passes" they put in the middle of nowhere by bike! )
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #14
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i have noticed that Slovenia has started to change color scheme at railroad crossings from red-yellow combination to red-white. when did that happen? in Croatia we changed scheme together with other signs, but in SLO at railroad crossings yellow colour remained, till now, right?
Do you mean the color of signs, barriers and the Saint Andrew's Cross? I don't know, quite recently, I think.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #15
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Do you mean the color of signs, barriers and the Saint Andrew's Cross? I don't know, quite recently, I think.
barriers acutally. i think they've become red-white really recently (this year)
Old September 6th, 2010, 02:10 AM   #16
khawa

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A typical Dutch railroad crossing:
The best part of this, to me, is the deliciously antiquated 'ding-ding' 'ding-ding' 'ding-ding' these dutch RR Xing bells make, along with the red lights blinking. Do they still make the same sound ?

Last edited by khawa; September 6th, 2010 at 02:22 AM.
khawa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #17
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

American grade crossing markings, gates, and regulations
from the Federal MUTCD (2009)

Used in rural and low AADT situations as well as private driveways.

Last edited by brewerfan386; September 6th, 2010 at 02:41 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:38 AM   #18
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

very nice and easy to understeand
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #19
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

I generally like the USA's crossing marking standards, too. The only change that I would explore is to add a Canadian-style red outline on the 'crossbucks'.

BTW, for those not from the USA/North America, on North American crossing signals, the large red lights flash alternately, reversing about every 0.8-1 second or so (much like with those Dutch signals).

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #20
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

American grade crossings in action

^Classic/ normal American crossing w/ gates (note: the horn and bells)

^Classic/ normal American crossing w/o gates

^Modern urban gated crossing

^overhead ungated (note: if you skip to about 7:57 there is an ultra modern low gate)

^overhead gated (again note the gate bells)
Types shown here are the main ones you would see on American roads. (other set ups exist however)

Last edited by brewerfan386; September 6th, 2010 at 10:30 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
trains