daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #41
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
I assure you that for pedestrian crossing a level crossing when it is closed or a railway where is forbidden is common.
Ah, you meant pedestrians. In this case you are quite right (even if "common" is an overstatement: let's say "sometimes it happens")
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #42
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

But also some car drivers enter a level crossing when there is no space after it, a really dangerous behaviour.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #43
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Belgium:

Old September 7th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #44
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17043

This video shows you a typical crossing in my state.

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #45
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
do you guys have all automatized barriers, or somewhere you still have old mechanical? i know these exist in Hungary, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Romania, UK
There are some barriers that are still operated by the train driver. Though they are low-traffic lines, with like 8-10 trains a day. Some are near the croatian border.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #46
Sponsor

I found one with quite short waiting time somwhere in Poland
~ 25 s. and following trains between 25 and 40 seconds.

Notice nice bells which are being replaced by electronic sounds these days

Last edited by Sponsor; September 7th, 2010 at 02:34 PM.
Sponsor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #47
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
There are some barriers that are still operated by the train driver.
Are you sure? Never heard about this. Driver gets out of train and pushes button/lever/whatever or how?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #48
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Quote:
But also some car drivers enter a level crossing when there is no space after it, a really dangerous behaviour.
Well, In Italy semi-barriers are quite rare. The most common form of barriers is the "double semi-barriers", like the ones I photographed in the very first post of this thread: first the bells, then semi-barriers on the driving side of the road come down, then after 10 seconds or so the others semi-barriers come down, to allow cars still passing through the crossing to escape.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #49
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

I was wondering why American trains sound their horn all the time. Isn't it obvious that a train is approaching when bells are ringing, red lights are flashing and the barriers at the crossing are closed? Why horn? And isn't that very annoying for anyone living close to the railway?

In my country, the horn is just used as an exceptional warning. For example to prevent a collision, or to give a warning when there are children or maintanance workers very close to the tracks. Or when there is a malfunction with the automatic warning signals at the crossing.

It scares me when I see those videos of American railroad crossings, as Dutch train only use the horn that way when they are about to hit somebody...
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #50
joshsam
JR

noctice the same. But I also read that it's very comon in some states to have extremely long waiting times, especially when it is a cargo train. People start driving between the barriers..., bu I've also seen thet here in Belgium and they also only sound the horn when in danger of collision or when their is a person or animal to close or on the tracks
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #51
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Are you sure? Never heard about this. Driver gets out of train and pushes button/lever/whatever or how?
Its from the very old times. Usually bus-sized trains go there, hence it isnt a huge problem. Driver or controller gets out, and lowers the barrier.
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #52
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Its from the very old times. Usually bus-sized trains go there, hence it isnt a huge problem. Driver or controller gets out, and lowers the barrier.
That's funny. Wouldn't it be easier to just stop the train before a railroad crossing and proceed very slowly? Once the train occupies the whole crossing, it could speed up.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #53
RawLee

The allowed speed there is about 40 for the trains . There is a video on youtube about such a line, I will look it up for you guys.
Old September 7th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #54
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurK View Post
I was wondering why American trains sound their horn all the time. Isn't it obvious that a train is approaching when bells are ringing, red lights are flashing and the barriers at the crossing are closed? Why horn? And isn't that very annoying for anyone living close to the railway?

In my country, the horn is just used as an exceptional warning. For example to prevent a collision, or to give a warning when there are children or maintanance workers very close to the tracks. Or when there is a malfunction with the automatic warning signals at the crossing.

It scares me when I see those videos of American railroad crossings, as Dutch train only use the horn that way when they are about to hit somebody...
Its Federal law , engineers must blow there horns at all intersections unless marked otherwise. This applies to Intercity , Freight , and Commuter Rail , Urban Rail it varies depends on the city or town. They also blow there horns in Canada & i think in Mexico. The Horns vary depending on the type of trains , the loudest are on the diesel trains. The Electric trains are slightly quieter. The Horns themselves don't annoy ppl , the loudest of the engines usually does. You get used to after a few weeks. I live 1km west of the nearest crossing / station and i can hear them , usually the morning ones only. We also have bells on the trains to warn ppl , although thats not really a rule more of a tradition in North America. Trains also blow born enter a Major station to warn ppl who are near or over the yellow bar.

This engineer needs to be promoted

My favorite Horn is the Arrow 3's unfortnatly they'll be replaced with Asain trains sometime this decade. There also used on the PATH subway , yes the subway trains do blow there horns. Its more of a customary thing at certain stations & at the portals.

Old September 7th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #55
joshsam
JR

Trains that blow their horns all the time...IT would make me crancky for sure!
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #56
Crownsteler

Likes (Received): 474

This is a quite interesting railroad crossing. The A2 highway crosses the former Uithoorn - Nieuwersluis railroad. The crossing (and railroad) has disappeared by now.
image hosted on flickr

by bertgort, on Flickr

Back when the A2 was constructed, it wasn't considered worthwhile to build a viaduct over this hardly used line, so they build an ordinairy crossing. It went well for about 10 years before an accident happend, after which the crossing could only be closed in the presence of an police officer. The crossing was removed in 1986 after the closure of the railroad line.

Last edited by Crownsteler; September 7th, 2010 at 07:15 PM.
Crownsteler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #57
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Trains that blow their horns all the time...IT would make me crancky for sure!
Its not that bad , we do have quiet crossings.

This Crossing will be grade separated by the end of the decade when the last remaining crossings on the NEC are removed. There all in CT.

Old September 7th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #58
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
I assure you that for pedestrian crossing a level crossing when it is closed or a railway where is forbidden is common. But certainly not only in Italy, just remember the disaster south of Barcelona a few months ago.
Here's METRA's answer to that in Chicagoland (METRA is the commuter 'heavy rail' service in the metro area, they use normal freight tracks):

http://www.suntimes.com/news/transpo...side30.article

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #59
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

Quote:
The allowed speed there is about 40 for the trains . There is a video on youtube about such a line, I will look it up for you guys.
wow, please find it! i would expect it to be n Gyekényés - Barcs railroad, but there also some serious trains pass, and i haven't seen Bzmots there, so it probably is not there
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #60
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Belgium:
I like the signs above the street warning about the overhead wire at those Belgian crossings.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
trains