daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #81
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

^ Those barriers seem a little over engineered, the ones in the middle of the road could stay up all the time to keep the lanes divided. They look similar to the barriers used in some car parks in the UK, or the Manchester bus gates, which fly up at speed behind buses to block cars out of the bus only lanes. Although I am concerned that some of these didn't go down properly in the video and had to be stood on.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #82
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
^ Those barriers seem a little over engineered, the ones in the middle of the road could stay up all the time to keep the lanes divided. They look similar to the barriers used in some car parks in the UK, or the Manchester bus gates, which fly up at speed behind buses to block cars out of the bus only lanes. Although I am concerned that some of these didn't go down properly in the video and had to be stood on.
As far as i know those never got any further due to costs and problems.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #83
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Okay, what's the point of those red poles? Wouldn't it be cheaper and more reliable to jut put another half-barrier at the other side of the road? I understand the need for such poles in city centres (for bus gates, parking gates etc.) where normal barriers would look plain ugly, but here? It's the middle of nowhere and there is a barrier anyway...
Plus, the timing they use sucks - the poles goes up together with the normal barrier, there is no escape time for cars already on the crossing...
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #84
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
State-of-the art rail crossing barricades tested in Michigan
Why use something so fragile to shut off the area of the railroad crossing over just a second barrier at the other side which goes down with a delay of a couple of seconds (to prevent people from getting stuck). That what has been done for years pretty much everywhere in the world and it seems to work well...

That system is flawed by design because it doesn't have a "safe mode". If a barrier receives no signal to say that the crossing should stay open, it will automatically go down. If the electricity fails in the area of the barrier, the barriers will slowly come down by themselves because that is the safest solution. Those little poles however won't do a thing at that time.

I must admit that I'm assuming that's how the system works though. If the poles are made in such a way that they always try to push themselves up, but an electrical system is preventing that when the crossing should be open, the system would be acceptable - but still too susceptible for breakdowns because of snow, water, ...

It's nice to see they were able to implement it, but I don't think it's the way to go.

EDIT: never mind. Didn't see there was another page to this topic ^_^;

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #85
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

I agree with you guys that the crossing was way too over engineered. They probably could have achieved the same effects if they were to say create a small traffic island or a jersey barrier in the middle of the railroad crossing for less cost. Anyways I believe that location is where they are proposing to put a high speed rail line between Detroit and Chicago, hence the "state of the art" crossing.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #86
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

High speed rail is not supposed to have railroad crossings. Everything, from motorways to cow paths, must be grade-separated and fenced off from the outside world.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #87
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
High speed rail is not supposed to have railroad crossings. Everything, from motorways to cow paths, must be grade-separated and fenced off from the outside world.
It does in the U.S. at least. The Acela Express on the Northeast Coridor runs up to speeds of 150mph and has a few grade crossings in Rhode Island and Conneticutt. I think they plan to phase them out eventually though.

Old September 18th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #88
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That video is no 150 miles per hour for sure. I'd say 75 mph max, which is a very usual train speed in Europe at railroad crossings.
Old September 18th, 2010, 10:59 PM   #89
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

On some sections they run the trains at lower speeds due to safety issues but those trains do run at speeds of up to 150mph on some sections.

Nexus can probably go more into detail.
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #90
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17035

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
It does in the U.S. at least. The Acela Express on the Northeast Coridor runs up to speeds of 150mph and has a few grade crossings in Rhode Island and Conneticutt. I think they plan to phase them out eventually though.

The Max over a crossing is 110mph , although some agencies want to raise that to 125mph in Rural areas. The Section with the Crossings in CT will be removed by the end of the decade after a few corridor shifts.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:38 PM   #91
ChrisZwolle
Road user

An uncontrolled railroad crossing in the Netherlands. These are not very common. This one serves only one farm on the other side of the railroad.
image hosted on flickr

uncontrolled railroad crossing by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old November 4th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #92
chumpon
Member Legend

Likes (Received): 1

Malaysian Train in Bukit Panjang Crossing, Singapore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBmct...layer_embedded
Old November 4th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #93
paF4uko
Blow the Horn!

Likes (Received): 753

Bulgarian narrow gauge (760mm) railway crossing... And yes, this is a steam locomotive!!!

Tags
trains