daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old May 30th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #61
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 495

B6343 named worst road in country for potholes
by Brian Daniel, The Journal, May 30th 2011

Coun Glen Sanderson in the B6343 Morpeth to Cambo road

A ROAD in Northumberland has been declared the worst in the country for potholes.

The B6343, which runs from Morpeth to the B6342 at Cambo, has been named as the major road category winner in the poll organised by car warranty company Warranty Direct.

The business carried out a survey of the worst maintained roads in the UK, on its website potholes.co.uk

The road, and one on the West Yorkshire and Derbyshire border, was named the worst from over 80 sections of Britain’s 246,000-mile highway network nominated by visitors to the website.

The unwanted title for the road, which passes through Mitford and Hartburn, has prompted Conservative opposition councillors on highways authority Northumberland County Council to savage its Liberal Democrat administration for “slashing” the roads maintenance budget, at the same time as severe winters have badly damaged local roads.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1NorfkhKg
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 1st, 2011, 10:18 AM   #62
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Team Valley developments no longer
to be restricted by Highways Agency

by Peter McCusker, The Journal, June 1st 2011

HUNDREDS more jobs could be created on the region’s oldest industrial estate after the Government unveiled plans to allow it more leeway in determining its development.

Team Valley Industrial Estate, which is home to 700 business and 25,000 workers, says it has been unable to expand and grow as it wishes in recent years as it development proposals are scuppered by regulatory bodies. But under new rules contained in the Localism Bill, which is currently passing through the Commons, the businesses on the Valley will be allowed more freedom to set their own development parameters.

John Seager, associate director, UK Land Estates, said: “In recent years we have lost businesses from the Team Valley because they have known they wouldn’t be able to get the planning permission they need to expand because we know the Highways Agency will object to the proposals because of the impact any future developments will have on traffic levels on the A1.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...1140-28797783/

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 3rd, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:33 AM   #63
cranfan

Likes (Received): 21

So our new approach to the traffic problems on the A1 is that if we close our eyes maybe everything will be fine? That'll work.
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #64
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 188

The A19 is closed at the A689 (or something along the lines of that)after I found out the hard way last night on my way back up from Doncaster. It's also closed further south then that which gives you a detour of about 50 miles to come back onto A19 before you then go back off. The detour at the A689 doesn't give any directions after so far and in the end I found it best just going back onto the A1.
It saved me £1.20 in tunnel fare but cost me god knows how much in fuel. I honestly think that if you are told to make a detour after so long then you should be reimbursed.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #65
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 20

Actually, there was a diversion, but there was just a small sign which said to follow the diamonds. This took us through the centre of Hartlepool. Tbh, I think you did the best thing by heading back for the A1
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #66
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatton11 View Post
Actually, there was a diversion, but there was just a small sign which said to follow the diamonds. This took us through the centre of Hartlepool. Tbh, I think you did the best thing by heading back for the A1
I saw them but they were next to new build homes signs and are often used as a way of route to new homes so I didn't follow them. It was easier just to follow the big road signs for the A1.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #67
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Pothole repair work starts on Morpeth to Cambo road
by David Black, The Journal, June 17th 2011

WORK has started on repairing a rural road in Northumberland which was recently named as the worst in the country for potholes.

The winding and picturesque B6343 between Morpeth and the hamlets of Cambo and Scots Gap has been the subject of numerous complaints from drivers, motorbike riders and cyclists about the number of dangerous holes in its surface.

Last month it was named the worst in the major road category in a poll organised by car warranty company Warranty Direct.

Now Northumberland County Council has come up with cash to start filling in and patching the worst of the potholes at each end of the route.

The authority says the road is popular with cyclists and it has received a large number of complaints via its website about number of potholes.

Resurfacing work for the western end of the route near Cambo will be carried out in the next few weeks. In addition, resources have been put in place to carry out significant patching work at the Morpeth end. Some of this has already been completed.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1PWLz9meM
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #68
Northern Engineer

Likes (Received): 8

See below my unsucessful attempt to help the environment and save the council a little bit of money...(you may want to start from the bottom)

wonder if it could be applied to any other roads instead...

Quote:
Thank you very much for your e-mail regarding the possible switch off of the street lighting on the A1 Trunk Road near Newcastle and Gateshead.

I work for Mark Schofield at the Highways Agency, and he has asked that I reply to your e-mail.

There are a number of energy saving interventions that the Highways Agency are currently considering/implementing on its roads in the North East to reduce its energy and carbon emissions. Examples of some of this work include:

The A1 main carriageway lighting is currently dimmed by 20 % using new electronic control equipment which allows a reduction in energy and extends the life of the lamp.

The re-lighting of the A1 sign gantries using LED luminaires which have enabled energy consumption to be reduced by up to 60%.

The proposal for switching off lighting on the Western by pass has already been considered, however due to the road classification (all purpose trunk road rather than Motorway), and the close proximity of interchanges, the A1 Western by pass does not meet the criteria for switching off road lighting between midnight and six am.

The midnight switch off is currently only applicable to motorway lighting. Should the standards be revised to include Trunk Roads in the future, this intervention may be considered for implementation on the A1.

Regards

Shaun Cullumbine

Quote:
Sent: 15 June 2011 21:22
To: Schofield, Mark
Subject: RE: A1 Western Bypass Lights

Dear Mr Schofield

Following my discussions with Newcastle Council (see email below), they have referred me onto yourself regarding my proposal below. I must admit that I am not very knowledgable about the matters revolving the requirements of road lighting but I have seen the scheme in the birmingham area and would gratefully appreciate your comments regarding my proposal to switch off the A1 western Bypass between 12-6am nightly as a energy saving measure.

Your feedback and knowledge on how to progress this proposal would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail concerning the street lighting on the A1 western bypass. The A1 western bypass is classified as a trunk road and is the controlled by the Highways Agency. The Highways Agency would decide if the lights on the A1 western bypass are to be switched off.

The A1 Western Bypass is classified as Area 14, I have supplied the contact details of the Area Manager below as he will be able to advise on any proposals for the switching of the street lights in his area.

Mr Mark Schofield Area Manager
Lateral,
8 City Walk
Leeds
LS11 9AT

I trust this is satisfactory

Regards

Brian Loughlin
Street Lighting Engineer
Technical Services
Environment & Regeneration Directorate
Newcastle City Council

Quote:
Sent: 06 June 2011 18:40
To: Loughlin, Brian
Cc: Adey, David; Coulthard, Kate
Subject: FW: A1 Western Bypass Lights

Brian,

Please see below – think this is one for you can you please review / respond.

Thanks,

Simon.

Simon Johnson
Energy Services Manager

Quote:
Sent: 06 June 2011 09:43
To: Johnson, Simon
Subject: FW: A1 Western Bypass Lights

Simon,

see following for a response.

Regards

Kate

Kate Coulthard
Energy Officer

Quote:
Sent: 30 May 2011 20:45
To: Energy
Subject: A1 Western Bypass Lights

Dear Sirs

I would like to suggest that the councils (perhaps newcastle and gatehead together) switch off the lights on the A1 western bypass between 12am and 5am every night.

The same thing has recently been done close to Birmingham area and the councils there hope to reduce carbon emmisions and light pollution by 40% by normal night usage.

I am from Newcastle and seen this as i was driving past Birmingham. Thought this would helpful for the environment but also save the council some money. The only difference I noticed was that the birmingham road put up a couple of permanent signs at the entrance to each affected area about the non lighting period.

I seen this BBC website and it seems that Birmingham is not the only area doing this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12342843

Thanks for reading my email.

Kind Regards

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; July 4th, 2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Use of Quotes
Northern Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #69
JetStreak
Born in Durham

Likes (Received): 3

I'd probably have to agree with the Highways Agency on this one. It's not so much the traffic levels, because at night they are quite low, but the road is quite complex. The majority of traffic in the area is either joining or exiting with few through vehicles so there tends to be a lot of weaving which is what causes most of the delays at peak times.

And while I think tractors were banned, presumably there are other vehicles, especially slow vehicles, that are allowed on the Western Bypass that wouldn't be allowed on a motorway which adds extra safety considerations.

But in general I agree with the idea of reducing street lights. Where a road is motorway standard it would be my preference to have no street lighting unless there is a non standard junction/interchange.
JetStreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #70
architect1976
Architect

Likes (Received): 60

There was big problems on the A1 last night. Southbound on the A1 at Coalhouse Roundabout where the A1 passes over and then slips off to the A1231, the lights were only letting about 10 vehicles through and the traffic was backed up along the sliproad, this meant traffic was Q'ing on the A1 while traffic was trying to merge from the inside lane into the inside lane of 3 which then allows you to go off to the slip road.

In my oppinion where the A1 goes from 2 to 3 the priority should be for the A1 and the traffic that joins from the Angel should be joining via a slip road and the third lane should be given to the A1 thus allowing 3 lanes over the top and onto the A1(M), the inside lane can then slip off onto the A1231 and the third lane could be reduced back to 2 for the junction of the A194(m) and the A1(m).

It's madness the way it is at the moment, if you're trying to get into the inside lane you need to watch for people coming up the slip whilst watching for the cars ahead braking and cars coming in from the right hand lane who have left it until the last second before moving over to get to the slip road.

architect1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #71
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 29

Skinnerburn Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Well it has effectively been widened with the laying down of yellow lines to prevent parking on both sides of the road which turned it into a single track - mind the last time I was along there the road was in a right state with pot holes galore!
Can I nominate Skinnerburn Road as 'The Worst Road in Newcastle'!

It's a disgrace.

I was also down there a few weeks ago on the first morning of the new double yellow lines. There were three (count 'em) Parking Control Officers putting (I think the report said) 60 to 80 tickets on windscreens. Fill your boots lads!
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:57 AM   #72
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

A69 dualling is vital for Hexham - former Mayor
by Paul Tully, The Journal, August 23rd 2011

THE DUALLING of the A69 west of Hexham should be a main target of a new town plan working group.

A team of councillors is pressing ahead with a Town Plan for Hexham which will take the town into the future.

They will look at all aspects of Hexham, from industry to transport and leisure.

Former Mayor Terry Robson, who has played a pivotal role, says: “One of the most important things for growth in Hexham is our link with the west. The dualling of the A69 from Hexham through to Carlisle is very important.

“If we could open up that route to the west it would be so much better.

“The strategy route" should not be the A66, which is further south and too often blocked by snow in winter.

"It should be the A69.”

In the current economic climate, and with the dualling of the A1 in north Northumberland another regional priority which has been stalled by Government, the A69 would be very much on the back-burner.

But Coun Robson says it has to be part of the long-term objectives for Hexham’s prosperity.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1VpvkymOn
Old August 23rd, 2011, 02:29 PM   #73
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 50

In the current economic climate, and with the dualling of the A1 in north Northumberland another regional priority which has been stalled by Government, the A69 would be very much on the back-burner.

Not so much as on the back burner, as still unwrapped and in the deep-freezer.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 02:56 PM   #74
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

The A69 has no chance of being duelled. It was only a few years ago when new bridges and bypasses were being installed along the route and those bridges and bypasses are not capable of being widenedd.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old August 23rd, 2011, 04:26 PM   #75
Adrian_Swall

A69 Dualling

Full dualling of A69 and A1 never going to happen.
Why not switch tack and have more crawler lanes up inclines.
Also have a number of regular, signposted 'drive through' laybys for slow vehicles (lorries, caravans and Micra drivers!). That way slow vehicles can pull over to let people through?
Old August 23rd, 2011, 04:47 PM   #76
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
Full dualling of A69 and A1 never going to happen.
Why not switch tack and have more crawler lanes up inclines.
Also have a number of regular, signposted 'drive through' laybys for slow vehicles (lorries, caravans and Micra drivers!). That way slow vehicles can pull over to let people through?
Never say never

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 04:54 PM   #77
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 17

When you look at the two 'would be grade seperated' roundabouts near Hexham and Corbridge it seems that it would have been the intention to have the road fully dualled to Carlisle. Shame the Brampton, Haltwhistle and Haydon Bridge bypasses weren't at least futureproofed for dualling.
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:02 PM   #78
Adrian_Swall

A69 / A1 Dualling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Never say never
Never! Never! Never!
There are no votes for it to happen up here.
I have driven through many parts of the country with lovely (empty) dual carraigeways - Wales, Scotland, N Ireland, Lincolnshire.
Why does North Yorkshire get so much road spending? Another three lanes being constructed at the moment.
We need to accept that full dualling is a not a near future option and look at other imaginative alternatives to stop congestion.
Cheers
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:13 PM   #79
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Never! Never! Never!
I have driven through many parts of the country with lovely (empty) dual carraigeways - Wales, Scotland, N Ireland, Lincolnshire.
Why does North Yorkshire get so much road spending? Another three lanes being constructed at the moment.
We need to accept that full dualling is a not a near future option and look at other imaginative alternatives to stop congestion.
Cheers
Its such a shame when you consider the good length of motorway standard carriageway of the A1 heading out of Edinburgh. I used to travel up to Edinburgh at least once a month and always found it easier to drive up via Coldstream as HGV's appear to give that route a wide berth. If an when I did use the A1 I used to think how much easier and quicker it would be if it was dualled all of the way.

Given time I'm sure all of the dual carriageway stretches will be linked up unless we are by then all travelling by space ships, time travel, transportation in the Star Trek tradition or we have run out of all fuel and are back to using horses to travel

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:06 PM   #80
BMS100

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Never! Never! Never!
Cheers
I agree, we were massively let down by labour (guaranteed votes) and the tories have no incentive (no votes)
BMS100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorways, newcastle, newcastle roads, newcastle transport, north tyneside, road, roads, transport