daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General discussions > Regional development

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #3741
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 3780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Сталин View Post
So a new terminal is at VNO is inevitable.
This is what I'm worried about. That they will not start to even think about it before capacity is well exceeded.

I remember VNO before the latest expansion. It was a rather terrible experience. Even the departure areas were claustrophobic and cramped. Things have changed completely after the 2007 expansion and for now the airport is really nice and convenient (especially for departures). but if passenger numbers will continue to rise, the situation may come back to what it was before 2007.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 11th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #3742
Сталин
Infractions Record Holder

Likes (Received): 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
This is what I'm worried about. That they will not start to even think about it before capacity is well exceeded.

I remember VNO before the latest expansion. It was a rather terrible experience. Even the departure areas were claustrophobic and cramped. Things have changed completely after the 2007 expansion and for now the airport is really nice and convenient (especially for departures). but if passenger numbers will continue to rise, the situation may come back to what it was before 2007.
I have been at VNO in 2001 and I remember it was not as crowded, there was still space at least lol. History repeats itself, I'm starting to think its going to be crowded once again... Interesting seeing things change.

Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #3743
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 3780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Сталин View Post
I have been at VNO in 2001 and I remember it was not as crowded, there was still space at least lol. History repeats itself, I'm starting to think its going to be crowded once again... Interesting seeing things change.

My first experience in VNO happened in 2004 and by that time it felt rather unpleasant.

I dug some stats from 2001. In that year VNO served 519K (other source gives the figure of 584K... not sure why such discrepancy) passengers. In 2004 the number was 964K which may explain why it felt rather different for me in 2004.

Edit: I just checked some old articles and it seems that the capacity of the old (built in 1993) terminal was 1 million passengers a year.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #3744
El Dee

Likes (Received): 77

Can you tell me where you can take the bus or train to Vilnius centre? Because I saw on wikipedia that there is public transport from the airport to the city centre:

But I didn't notice it when I came out of the airport. Only expensive taxi's.
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #3745
vytauc
shaman is back

Likes (Received): 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dee View Post
Can you tell me where you can take the bus or train to Vilnius centre? Because I saw on wikipedia that there is public transport from the airport to the city centre:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ay_station.jpg

But I didn't notice it when I came out of the airport. Only expensive taxi's.
Here you go. I've marked all the PT stops for you: http://goo.gl/maps/uE2tO

El Dee liked this post
vytauc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #3746
Dompcz
DoM

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
This year VNO should serve around 3 million passengers which is near capacity. It is rather unlikely that passenger numbers would decrease. On the contrary they will probably continue to rise and it's just a matter of a few years before it gets to 5 million or more. That is not even long-term but probably short-medium term reality. Therefore expansion should at the very least be on a drawing board right now and ideally construction works should be starting asap.

Even some existing facilities are not up to the standard. For instance the arrivals area is too small and inconvenient and there are no passenger pick-up bays for cars.
Well, this year VNO plans to have ~2.5 million passengers, ok maybe it'll be something like ~2.7 million but not 3 million. Plus I think currently VNO max capacity is 3.5 million. As for 5 million in a few years I think this is way too optimistic. Plus current minister of transport supports Kaunas airport very much and they even have plans to "move" cheap airlines from Vilnius to Kaunas airport. With such dumb-asses in the government, we'll soon start to see losses at VNO.
Dompcz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #3747
vytauc
shaman is back

Ryanair is hiring another 40 people in KUN to man their second maintenance hangar which is, apparently, UC.

Source in Lith:" http://verslas.delfi.lt/transportas/....d?id=60926965
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #3748
vytauc
shaman is back

I have to give credit where it's due - AirBaltic service has improved massively during the last 6 months or so. Probably downshifting in number of routes has taken a strain off the staff and processes. This is the 3rd time I use them on VNO-ARN and no complains whatsoever. Hopefully they will take me home in one piece tomorrow.
Old March 21st, 2013, 07:36 PM   #3749
SarunasLT

Likes (Received): 23

Wizz Air Ukraine to commence flight between Vilnius and Kiev Zhulyany airport, as of July 5, 4xweekly. It we will have three companies flying VNO - Kiev route. Ukraine International with daily to KBP and Utair Aviation Ukraine 2xweekly to IEV. By the way, tomorrow Utair should launch its VNO-IEV flight, but I can't see this flight neither in IEV's departures nor in VNO's arrivals. Big question mark upon it. Anyway 2xweekly service is not competitive.
SarunasLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #3750
LosBanditos

Likes (Received): 10

"UTair-Ukraine" start Kiev-Vilnius-Kiev March 22,
and planned Kiev-Riga-Kiev early in May.

Thank you google translator

the original text:

"ЮТэйр-Украина" временно сокращает количество рейсов Харьков-Киев-Харьков

Авиакомпания "ЮТэйр-Украина" (Киев), "дочка" российской "ЮТэйр", временно сокращает количество рейсов Харьков-Киев-Харьков с двух до одного рейса в день.

"Рейс временно выполняться не будет", - сообщил журналистам в минувшую пятницу начальник отдела маркетинга компании Владимир Катерный.

Компания сохраняет утренний рейс Киев-Харьков (вылет в 7.20 в будние дни, в 8.40 - по субботам) и обратный вечерний рейс (вылет в 20.00). Временно отменяются самолеты, вылетавшие из Киева в Харьков в 10.00 и летевшие назад в 17.00.

"За счет того, что мы пока - временно - сократили частотность, мы имеем возможность открывать новые рейсы в Ригу, в Вильнюс (из Киева - ИФ). Тот самолет, который прилетает из Харькова в Киев, он не возвращается назад, в Харьков, а летит дальше в Европу. И вечером он возвращается из Европы в Киев и летит сюда. Думаем, это будет максимально удобно для наших пассажиров из Харьковского региона… и позволит харьковскому пассажиру с утра, с удобной стыковкой в аэропорту Киева добраться в ближайшее зарубежье удобным рейсом по хорошим тарифам",- объяснил В.Катерный.

По его словам, рейс Киев-Вильнюс-Киев откроется 22 марта, а Киев-Рига-Киев планируется запустить с начала мая.

Он также отметил, что компания планирует восстановить рейс, однако не стал уточнять сроки.

"Все зависит от пополнения нашего флота. Как только будет получен новый самолет, этот рейс будет восстановлен", - сказал В.Катерный.

В то же время в кассах "ЮТэйр-Украина" сообщили, что с 31 марта приостановленный рейс Киев-Харьков-Киев вновь значится в расписании.

Авиакомпания "ЮТэйр-Украина" создана в сентябре 2008 года. В 2009 году получила сертификат эксплуатанта гражданской авиации Украины. В настоящее время "ЮТэйр-Украина", выполняет регулярные и чартерные рейсы в страны ближнего и дальнего зарубежья на самолетах ATR-42, ATR 72-500, Boeing 737-400 и CRJ-200.

Аэропортами базирования являются "Киев" и "Луганск". Маршрутная сеть полетов включает в себя внутренние рейсы из Киева в Донецк, Львов, Одессу, Луганск, Харьков, международные рейсы в Москву, Тбилиси, Санкт-Петербург и Ростов-на-Дону, а так же чартерные полеты в Анталию, Хургаду и Шарм-эль-Шейх.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://interfax.com.ua/news/economic/144959.html
LosBanditos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #3751
SarunasLT

Likes (Received): 23

What is more, the same Utair Ukraine are going to launch Simferopol - Vilnius - Simferopol as of June 1st, frequency is undisclosed yet.
SarunasLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #3752
LosBanditos

Likes (Received): 10

Nine New Destinations from Riga Airport
(And 12 less)

In the new summer flight schedule the airlines offer 6 new scheduled and 3 charter flight destinations from Riga International Airport. Overall, flight frequency will increase by 24% compared with the winter season. There will be more flights to such destinations as Helsinki, Stockholm, Tallinn, Moscow, New York, Istanbul, Minsk and others.

8 popular destinations to the shores of the Mediterranean Sea, the Caspian Sea and the Black Sea are back on airBaltic route map. In April airBaltic will introduce flights to Larnaca and in May flights to Balaton Airport, Olby, Malta, and from June – to Rijeka. Since the beginning of 2013 airBaltic has been providing flights to Prague. In addition, airBaltic introduced additional flights on 11 routes allowing to fly to Paris, Barcelona, Nice, Stockholm, Rome, London and Bari. The flights to the capital cities of France and the United Kingdom will be available twice a day, while flights to Stockholm will be provided four times a day.

In April the airline Wizzair will open flights to Bergen.

In collaboration with the tour operator Tez Tour, airBaltic in the summer season will perform charter flights to Antalya, Burgas and Hurghada. Other tour operators, too, will offer charter flights in summer: Go Adventure jointly with the carrier Onur Air will provide charter flights to Antalya, and with Bulgarian Air Charter – to Varna, Mouzenidis Travel with Astra Airlines – to Thessaloniki. The carrier Iberia Express will return to Riga and operate flights to Madrid.

In comparison with the winter period, airBaltic in summer will not fly to Vaasa, Ryanair – to Karlsruhe/Baden Baden and Liverpool, CSA Airlines – to Prague, Austrian Airlines Group – to Innsbruck, AMC Airlines – to Sharm el Sheikh/Ophir. Unlike last summer, airBaltic this summer is not planning to fly to Dublin, Oulu, Tenerife and Umea, Estonian Air – to Tallinn and Turkish Airlines – to Antalya.

By 25 March 2013, Riga Airport had welcomed 878 052 passengers or 0.4 % more year on year, whereas cargo turnover at the airport rose by 163.6 % compared with last year’s result. Top destinations in January and February were London and Moscow, chosen by 19 % passengers.

The passengers are reminded that this weekend in Latvia summer time will set in and clocks will be put one hour forward. Please bear this in mind and arrive at the airport on time for your flight.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.riga-airport.com/en/main/...m-riga-airport
LosBanditos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #3753
Wover

Likes (Received): 52

Do Ryanair passengers still have to pay the "special" airport tax? I paid it for a flight last December, but then a few weeks later it was refunded to my credit card.
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #3754
bebrs12

Likes (Received): 27

Nordic Aviation Capital orders four Q400s for airBaltic

Quote:
Mar. 28, 2013 Danish lessor Nordic Aviation Capital (NAC) has signed a firm purchase agreement for four Bombardier Q400 NextGens to be placed with Latvian carrier airBaltic.

The $134.8 million deal, announced Thursday, will take NAC’s Q400 portfolio to 43 aircraft, and firms up airBaltic’s Q400 fleet expansion plans reported by ATW in September.

“The four aircraft will be operated by airBaltic of Riga, Latvia and will join eight Q400 NextGen airliners ordered directly from Bombardier as the airline transitions to an all-Bombardier fleet,” NAC said in a statement.

At the 2012 Farnborough Air Show airBaltic committed to 10 CS300 aircraft, with purchase rights on a further 10, which will be used for its fleet renewal. It firmed the deal in December.

Billund-based NAC has also recently sealed a sale and leaseback with Marfin Investment Group covering 10 Q400s to be operated by Olympic Air. It has also agreed to the sale and leaseback of eight Q400 NextGens with Eurolot of Poland and the purchase of 12 CRJ1000 NextGens with Garuda Indonesia.
Source: http://atwonline.com/lessors/nordic-...+Daily+News%29
Old March 29th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #3755
Sanchous

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebrs12 View Post
Deliveries in April, May, July, August. After that all F50s will be phased out.
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:11 AM   #3756
lucky1

Likes (Received): 109

/ Darn it! April fools'. :p
lucky1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #3757
Sanchous

Official financial results of airBaltic:

2011 /2012/Change
Net result -121 mEUR/-27mEUR/+94mEUR
RASK (unit revenue) 6.5 EUR cent/7.4 EUR cent/+15%
Yield 88.6 EUR/97.2 EUR/+10%
Passengers 3.35 million/3.08 million/-8%
Revenue 327 mEUR/326 mEUR/-1%
Old May 7th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #3758
Andris1988

Likes (Received): 0

Any numbers about March and April?
Andris1988 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #3759
TaurasLTU

Likes (Received): 5

<<< Baltic Airports in March and April >>>

Riga International Airport (RIX)
March: passengers - 354397, flights - 5116.
April: passengers - 397770, flights - 5690.
Total this year (Jan - Apr): passengers - 1346832, flights - 20297.
Numbers of passenger traffic of the last two months are nearly the same compared to those in 2012. Number of flights has decreased a little bit.

Vilnius International Airport (VNO)
March: passengers - 188054 (+32,41%), flights - 2402 (+5,44%).
April: passengers - 204745 (+28,62%), flights - 2643 (+5,09%).
Total this year (Jan - Apr): passengers - 727368 (+31,93%), flights - 9554 (+5,66%).

Tallinn International Airport (TLL)
March: passengers - 143991 (-12,1%), flights - 3104 (-13,8%).
April: no numbers are available yet on TLL website. However, in my opinion, number of passengers will be in around ~180000, while number of flights ~4000. Anyway, that's only my forecast
Total this year (Jan - Apr): passengers - ~560000 (forecast), flights - ~12500 (forecast).

Kaunas International Airport (KUN)
March: passengers - 29295 (-59,9%), flights - 387 (-49,08%).
April: passengers - 58923 (-23,25%), flights - 587 (-20,89%).
Total this year (Jan - Apr): passengers - 133985 (-83,86%).

Palanga International Airport (PLQ)
March: passengers - 9483 (-2%), flights - 201 (-9%).
April: passengers - 9611 (-11%), flights - 222 (-20%).
Total this year (Jan - Apr): passengers - 36424 (-5%), flights - 804 (-8%).

Andris1988 liked this post
TaurasLTU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #3760
Sanchous

New Q400 for airBaltic arrived.

Tags
baltic states