daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 6th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #261
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Over the Rhine, Cicinnati. December 16, 2012. Part One

Christmas in OTR

Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #262
Chadoh25

Over the Rhine, Cicinnati. December 16, 2012. Part One

Christmas in OTR

Future site of Mercer Commons

The Renovated Paint Building

This will be a Biergarten at some point I think

Old January 7th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #263
Pommes

Likes (Received): 0

OTR has so much potential. I wish it will see some significant population increase. Would love if it became an an area full of restaurants, cafés, unique stores etc.
Great pictures, thanks!
Pommes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #264
MyGeorge

Likes (Received): 392

it looks like OTR is being groomed which it really deserved and hope like Pommes that it will become a vibrant place of restos,bars etc,etc.
thank you though for sharing and I can see people wearing light clothings in December?
MyGeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #265
Chadoh25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pommes View Post
OTR has so much potential. I wish it will see some significant population increase. Would love if it became an an area full of restaurants, cafés, unique stores etc.
Great pictures, thanks!
It's well on it's way. I remember a time, not so long ago, when even walking around Vine Street or Washington Park in broad daylight was not recommended. Now, it's very different. Eveytime I go to that area I see kids and people with dogs enjoying Washington Park. And there are lots of nice places to eat as well. It's like night and day in spots. But of course, mush work remains to be done!
Old January 14th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #266
Chadoh25

Over the Rhine, Cicinnati. December 16, 2012. Part Two

East 14th Street

Walnut Street

3CDC isn't just renovating a single building at a time. Oh no. They're renovating entire blocks!

Old January 14th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #267
Tourniquet
A Bahia é onipresente!

Likes (Received): 4871

Wow, I'm amazed. It's a really beautiful place, but it looks so empty. Were the pictures took on sunday?
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:41 AM   #268
Chadoh25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourniquet View Post
Wow, I'm amazed. It's a really beautiful place, but it looks so empty. Were the pictures took on sunday?
Ya, almost all of them. I live in Columbus and so I can only get down there on the weekends, usually Sunday. Most of the time I go to St. Marys for Mass at 11:00 (Auf Deutsch) and than spend the rest of the day walking around, taking pictures. Plus, sadly the weather was not very good. I left much earlier because of it.
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:44 AM   #269
madonnagirl
Materially Yours

Likes (Received): 467

cool......the streets are not totally empty....there are cars parked anywhere - people are most likely inside those buildings.
Old January 14th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #270
midrise

Likes (Received): 611

Yes, I can see the transformation with the investment/facelifts in your pix, thanx. Keep us informed, it's looking great, there is alot of good stock too work with. Someday I need to get my ass there, is there any of the rehabs being turned into lodging?..
midrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #271
Chadoh25

Quote:
Originally Posted by midrise View Post
Yes, I can see the transformation with the investment/facelifts in your pix, thanx. Keep us informed, it's looking great, there is alot of good stock too work with. Someday I need to get my ass there, is there any of the rehabs being turned into lodging?..
Not that I know of in OTR. But there are plenty of hotels in Downtown, which of couse is right next door. You can reach OTR from anywhere in Downtown in 10-15 mins on foot. I usually park over by Fountain Square and walk up Vine to OTR. The fact that you can walk to almost anything in Cincy is oe of its many things that make it great. And once the streetcar is up and running I'll be using that ALOT to get to the northern half of OTR and up into the University of Cincinnati area! It will be great to to get on the streetcar in Downtown and hit most of the major points of interest!
Old January 14th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #272
Chadoh25

Quote:
Originally Posted by madonnagirl View Post
cool......the streets are not totally empty....there are cars parked anywhere - people are most likely inside those buildings.
Very true. My view is this. I'm not there for the people, I'm there for the buildings. Plus, I've found people get really nervous if you going around just randomly photographing them. LOL

People who aren't from the US often are confused by what they see as a lack of people in urban areas across the US. The fact is most people live in the suburbs, not the inner-city. The only places you see hunderds of people on the streets are places like NYC, LA, or Chicago, all of which are MUCH, MUCH bigger than Cincy (the population is under 300,000 now I think). Also, OTR was pretty neglected for a number of decades and so its just been within the last 5-10 years that real visable progress has been made. I mean I know everytime I go there, I see it. A street that might be empty and full of boarded up buildings this month could be in the midst of a total renovation the next time I'm there. It's all very exciting.
Old January 14th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #273
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244191

Awesome, very nice new photos Chad
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #274
midrise

Likes (Received): 611

I hear your excitment.....I have seen such transformations in East Coast cities that I have been too over the past years, Balitmore in particular, also DC and Philadelphia. As you said you can walk to places, not like suburbia where you have to drive and see the same mundane mediocrity..
midrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #275
Chadoh25

Thanks guys!
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #276
Chadoh25

Over the Rhine, Cicinnati. December 16, 2012. Part Three

Die Marienkirche on 13th. I go to the German Mass here at 11:00 AM one Sunday every couple of months!

Back to Vine Street

Old January 18th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #277
Chadoh25

Over the Rhine, Cicinnati. December 16, 2012. Part Four

Washington Park

Last edited by Chadoh25; May 2nd, 2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old January 18th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #278
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Stepping into another marvelous photo collection of yours, and it seems like OTR has a lot of low- and mid-rise buildings that I want to ask: are those mostly houses, or are there businesses too since it seems like the streets are pretty empty... Plus, I truly love the painting of a woman surrounded by sheet paper with lots of musical notes in them! It makes me feel like Cincinnati is a hardworking, progressive city that seems to be under visited by visitors and tourists that deserves a second look. Brilliant!

I'm looking forward to even more pics from you!

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #279
Chadoh25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Stepping into another marvelous photo collection of yours, and it seems like OTR has a lot of low- and mid-rise buildings that I want to ask: are those mostly houses, or are there businesses too since it seems like the streets are pretty empty... Plus, I truly love the painting of a woman surrounded by sheet paper with lots of musical notes in them! It makes me feel like Cincinnati is a hardworking, progressive city that seems to be under visited by visitors and tourists that deserves a second look. Brilliant!

I'm looking forward to even more pics from you!
OTR is an old neighborhood so it is a rich and interesting collection of single and multi-family homes as well as commercial and institutional buildings. Many are sadly empty. But as you can see, many are also being restored and a neighborhood which was once deemed to dangerous to even walk around in broad daylight is slowing becoming one of the most attractive and livable areas in the city. It took 50 years for things to go down the toilet, it will easily take that to reverse it.
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #280
capricorn2000

Likes (Received): 33853

lovely to see a beautiful city like Cincy being restored and that would give one an air of optimism.
thanks chad for those cool photos.
capricorn2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote