daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #341
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Walnut Hills. Feb 12, 2012.

The area around McMillian and Gilbert, a.k.a. Da hood!

vv I thought i had read somwhere that this is one of the oldest remain Fire Station in the city. But I could be wrong.

vv I found this rather odd

charpentier, Surname47 liked this post
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2013, 02:34 AM   #342
charpentier

Likes (Received): 29847

The cemetery is amazing! I didn't expect that. It looks like a sculpture garden.
Great job on your threads Chad

Chadoh25 liked this post
charpentier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #343
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43385

I particularly liked that set - very atmospheric!
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #344
alexander2000

Likes (Received): 440

Da Hood looks like it has seen its better days but is there any city plan to revive/revitalize the area?

Chadoh25 liked this post
alexander2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #345
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

McMillan & Gilbert... Hmmm... How come you call that The Hood? Is that an area of the city where the poorer people live? Is that a place where people tend to avoid going for some reason? I thought of Walnut Hills, as described in your earlier photos, as a relatively safe and wonderful neighborhood with all those charming houses and apartments, but that particular corner in the same district you call as The Hood? I wonder if that is a high-crime area… plus, how close would that be to the Ohio River and the Airport?

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

Chadoh25 liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #346
Surname47
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Great pictures showing it real.

Chadoh25 liked this post
Surname47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #347
Chadoh25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander2000 View Post
Da Hood looks like it has seen its better days but is there any city plan to revive/revitalize the area?
I think their are. The Fire station and the home next door were both stablized. So I'm guess yes, but not sure when that will happen.
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #348
Chadoh25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
McMillan & Gilbert... Hmmm... How come you call that The Hood? Is that an area of the city where the poorer people live? Is that a place where people tend to avoid going for some reason? I thought of Walnut Hills, as described in your earlier photos, as a relatively safe and wonderful neighborhood with all those charming houses and apartments, but that particular corner in the same district you call as The Hood? I wonder if that is a high-crime area… plus, how close would that be to the Ohio River and the Airport?
Walnut Hills is a large area and so it depends on where you are. The area closes to East Wallnut Hills is ok. But the closer you get to I-71, the worse it gets on McMillian and W.H. Taft. I would say during the day, you're okay. But I would not be walking up McMillian or Gilbert at night. I'm not sure what the crime rate like.
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #349
Chadoh25

Avondale. Feb 12, 2012.

Just a few random ones on my way to Auburn Hills.

Old February 26th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #350
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

Lovely buildings...and photos

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus

Chadoh25 liked this post
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:49 AM   #351
Chadoh25

Mt. Auburn. Feb 12, 2012.

Glencoe-Auburn Hotel and Glencoe-Auburn Place Row Houses is a registered historic district in Cincinnati, Ohio, listed in the National Register of Historic Places on December 10, 2003. It contains 54 contributing buildings. The complex was originally constructed between 1884 and 1891, by a Jethro Mitchell.

History

The exact date of construction of the Glencoe Complex is disputed amongst sources. Hamilton County tax records list the buildings as being constructed between 1870 and 1875, although the application for historic status lists the years 1884 to 1891 as the dates of construction. 1891 is also the first year the buildings are shown on a Sanborn Fire Insurance Map.

The architect of the building is unknown, however the builders/developers are often listed as being either Truman B. Handy or Jethro Mitchell. Both were prominent figures of the time, and Mitchell was Handy’s son in law (having married his daughter despite being 42 years older). Jethro Mitchell can be inferred as the official builder, for Handy died in a carriage accident in 1884. Handy and Mitchell both spent time working with famous Cincinnati, Ohio architect James W. McLaughlin, so it is possible that he may have had a hand in the design of the complex.

Despite the outward appearance of the facade, the buildings are divided up into single story apartments rather than walkup row houses. It is for this reason, along with early accounts and descriptions of the hotel, that the complex was, and has been intended to be housing for the poor

Rehabilitation

The first rent strike to occur in the city of Cincinnati took place at the Glencoe complex. After this, a proposal was made to rehabilitate the property. The redevelopment plan went through, and saw initial promise. Of the nearly 250 to 500 existing units in 1964 (sources disagree on the actual number, either way there were a large number of small units), renovations led to 99 units of a more comfortable size. The success was great, The Bicentennial Guide to Greater Cincinnati, published in 1988, still described the area as being successful almost 15 years after the renovation, stating that “the Glencoe Place Redevelopment has been honored by local, state, and national urban development organizations.”

In the 1990s, however, the site fell into disrepair and poverty, and once again became known for its drugs and crime rather than its redevelopment success. When area developer Pauline Van der Haer of Dorian Development purchased the property in 2004, the buildings had been vacant and boarded up for two years. Initial plans were to renovate the structures into 68 medium- and high-class condominiums (priced between $200,000 and $300,000), and add a parking garage – almost a necessity for the occupant target market. Since its inception, the project has stalled due to funding problems and disagreements between the developer and city council. The city of Cincinnati has agreed to fund improvements to city-owned land.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencoe...ace_Row_Houses

Ghetto, but interesting never the less.

alexander2000, jexx94 liked this post
Old March 1st, 2013, 07:34 AM   #352
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Mount Auburn definitely looks like a ghetto, with all the graffiti, broken glass, and run-down structures. I'm sad to see that wonderful structure on the second to the last image to be trashed with multi-colored graffiti, making it look like truly abandoned, to say the least. And those rows of apartment blocks definitely show signs that poorer families live there, with fading wall paint and factories close by. It shows that, even in a wonderful city like Cincinnati, there will be areas that seem to be separated from the rest of the city, and Mount Auburn sure is one of them. I wanna ask: how scary is it to go there at night, and how prevalent is criminal activity in that area?

Old March 1st, 2013, 08:07 AM   #353
Chadoh25

Quote:
Mount Auburn definitely looks like a ghetto, with all the graffiti, broken glass, and run-down structures. I'm sad to see that wonderful structure on the second to the last image to be trashed with multi-colored graffiti, making it look like truly abandoned, to say the least. And those rows of apartment blocks definitely show signs that poorer families live there, with fading wall paint and factories close by. It shows that, even in a wonderful city like Cincinnati, there will be areas that seem to be separated from the rest of the city, and Mount Auburn sure is one of them. I wanna ask: how scary is it to go there at night, and how prevalent is criminal activity in that area?
I wouldn't go that far. Glencoe Place is one block in a decent size neighborhood. Literally right up the street is Auburn Avenue which is lined with stately, well kept Italianates, as well as the home of former President William H. Taft. Mt. Auburn is just like many urban neighborhoods. There are good areas and bad areas. What you see is pretty typical of most cities in this country. You would find the same thing in Cleveland, Louisville, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and so on. Every neighborhood and every city has it's rough spots.
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:13 AM   #354
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Hmmm truly interesting. So what's that place then, if Auburn Avenue and Glencoe Place have decent homes? That looks a bit scary to go to, though.

Old March 1st, 2013, 09:14 PM   #355
Chadoh25

Quote:
Hmmm truly interesting. So what's that place then, if Auburn Avenue and Glencoe Place have decent homes? That looks a bit scary to go to, though.
No no, Auburn Avenue has nice homes. Glencoe Place is right off of Auburn Avenue, behind Christ Hospital. Auburn Ave is nice, Glencoe is ghetto. In Ohio, one street or block can make a world of difference. In Columbus, Parsons Avenue acts like a wall. On the west side is German Village, Schmacher Place, and Marion Village. All three are mostly white and pretty expensive. On the eastside of Parsons, it's most poor blacks and some poor white. It's not a good area. When I was in my early 20s, I was a driver for Pizzahut. Someone threatened to shot me east of Parsons because I refused to give them a pizza.
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:10 PM   #356
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadoh25 View Post
No no, Auburn Avenue has nice homes. Glencoe Place is right off of Auburn Avenue, behind Christ Hospital. Auburn Ave is nice, Glencoe is ghetto. In Ohio, one street or block can make a world of difference. In Columbus, Parsons Avenue acts like a wall. On the west side is German Village, Schmacher Place, and Marion Village. All three are mostly white and pretty expensive. On the eastside of Parsons, it's most poor blacks and some poor white. It's not a good area. When I was in my early 20s, I was a driver for Pizzahut. Someone threatened to shot me east of Parsons because I refused to give them a pizza.
That is indeed a very interesting pattern... when you say Parsons Avenue in Columbus or Auburn Avenue in Cincinnati acts as a "wall", I imply that it is a boundary line of sorts where one side seems to be well-off than the other. Here in California, such divide exists, but not necessarily on city streets; freeways usually cut neighborhoods into two or even more. That's sad, though, to see such divisions between the rich and poor, and it's just across from each other on one long avenue.

Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:56 AM   #357
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244319

Amazing, very nice photos from Cincinnati Chad

Chadoh25 liked this post
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:23 AM   #358
alexander2000

Likes (Received): 440

great images update....these structures are massively and beautifully built.

Chadoh25 liked this post
alexander2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #359
Chadoh25

Auburn Avenue

vv Home of President William Howard Taft.

charpentier, openlyJane liked this post
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #360
Chadoh25

Auburn Avenue

image hosted on flickr

Mt. Auburn. Cincinnati, Ohio by chadmichael17, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Mt. Auburn by chadmichael17, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr