daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2010, 04:11 AM   #41
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownCity View Post
That's what I was refering to. And I agree completely, you would think that we would join the race with Asia for vertical sprawl by now...
What, and sacrifice the American Dream of a five bedroom, four bath house with a white picket fence, a three car garage for your Chevy Tahoes, and enough Febreze and Clorox to kill an ecosystem for every man, woman, and child? Hell no!

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #42
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
What, and sacrifice the American Dream of a five bedroom, four bath house with a white picket fence, a three car garage for your Chevy Tahoes, and enough Febreze and Clorox to kill an ecosystem for every man, woman, and child? Hell no!
I'm scared to see how American cities look in 40 years when we're expected to have 100 million more people than today.
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #43
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by đđeůx View Post
I'm scared to see how American cities look in 40 years when we're expected to have 100 million more people than today.
I imagine the suburbs will keep moving out in all direction until they physically can't. Las Vegas could cover the entire state of Nevada. Same goes for Phoenix. Los Angeles could eat up the entire desert, and knowing us Californians, we'd figure out some way to develop along the entire PCH. Denver could keep going until it hit Oklahoma. Florida will be underwater by then, so don't need to worry about the horrible kind of sprawl that would surround Miami/Orlando/Jacksonville/Tampa. All the Midwest cities like Oklahoma City, Minneapolis, Chicago, and Des Moines could just spread until there's no boundaries between them anymore. Maybe fifty years from now, the "amber waves of grain" will be the waves of light beige painted cookie cutter crimes against nature stretching as far as the eye can see. At least with my city, Sacramento, when you descend into the city from the mountains, all you see is green since we're Tree City. Don't really see any of the roofs of the houses. Ah, to be American!
Old October 4th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #44
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Well its possible for everyone to have 5 bedrooms in a high rise. If developers and their suppliers can quit being so damn greedy then I bet everyone would be flocking to cop themselves a condo... Now only if somebody can reverse the trend...
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #45
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownCity View Post
That's what I was refering to. And I agree completely, you would think that we would join the race with Asia for vertical sprawl by now...
Or at least mid density condo's. I just don't get why some people think that a condo can not be 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and a beatiful garden...OK the garden is shared but condo's have big balconies to sit on and to have plants on...
The difference is that a whole neighbourhood of lets say 40 houses, can easely live in a nice condo block wich uses like 1/20 of the space the houses do...
And i'm not trying to say that everyone should do so, but a denser and bigger city center would be nice for some of those USA cities...My guess is that along with S-Africa and Australia, city centers in USA are the smallest worldwide.

Last edited by joshsam; October 4th, 2010 at 07:39 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #46
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5335

but I also read somewhere that, ironicly,luxurary and middleclass appartments and condo's in USA have much smaller gardens than in Europe.
Can anyone tell me if that's true?
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #47
The Cake On BBQ
Moderatr

Likes (Received): 8519

The whole ******* North America, Australia and NZ.
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #48
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1153

What he said
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #49
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

We Americans ought to build up... but that would require vision and initiative! And everyone knows vision and initiative is strictly prohibited in America!
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #50
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simfan34 View Post
We Americans ought to build up... but that would require vision and initiative! And everyone knows vision and initiative is strictly prohibited in America!
Boy, are you dead wrong! America is bursting at the seams with vision and initiative! Our vision is that cities are crime-ridden and dirty and that suburbs are perfect in every way, and out initiative is to keep buying up land and building more five bedroom, four bath, three car garage houses with the nice white picket fences!
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #51
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1925

And the truth is loads of Europeans would live in such developments too, if they could buy them in Europe for the same price.

I remember reading a book by a guy from Zimbabwe moving to England, who couldn't understand why people would choose to live in the tiny London terrace houses. It took him a while to work out that a house of the size he'd prefer, in London at least, was so far out of his price range that it was ridiculous.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #52
540_804
VA is for LOVERS!

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
I think you meant Chevy Suburban. Those bulk size boxes of Cheetos and Doritos from Costco and Sam's Club would never fit in the trunk space of a Tahoe.
540_804 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #53
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12204

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cake On BBQ View Post
The whole ******* North America, Australia and NZ.

I knew it was only a matter of time till this type of childish nonsense ruined the thread.
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #54
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

^You disagree?
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #55
Luli Pop
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
I read southern evergaldes are extinted by now.

Is this the cause or is there another too?
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #56
stevensp

Likes (Received): 64

Barcelona is great, it looks wonderful from the air...
Really nice example of how grids can be beautiful (or how you call it here cookie-cutter)

The parallel streets really bring a nice extra to the city

+ more project updates will be posted soon!
stevensp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #57
dleung
BANNED

Likes (Received): 131

I'd hardly call centuries-old city grid planning such as with Barcelona, "cookie cutter". The term is mostly applied to cheap condos built by the dozen, or subdivisions where identical houses are stamped as if from a cookie cutter.
dleung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #58
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1957

Quote:
I imagine the suburbs will keep moving out in all direction until they physically can't. Las Vegas could cover the entire state of Nevada. Same goes for Phoenix. Los Angeles could eat up the entire desert, and knowing us Californians, we'd figure out some way to develop along the entire PCH. Denver could keep going until it hit Oklahoma. Florida will be underwater by then, so don't need to worry about the horrible kind of sprawl that would surround Miami/Orlando/Jacksonville/Tampa. All the Midwest cities like Oklahoma City, Minneapolis, Chicago, and Des Moines could just spread until there's no boundaries between them anymore. Maybe fifty years from now, the "amber waves of grain" will be the waves of light beige painted cookie cutter crimes against nature stretching as far as the eye can see. At least with my city, Sacramento, when you descend into the city from the mountains, all you see is green since we're Tree City. Don't really see any of the roofs of the houses. Ah, to be American!
When I return someday from living abroad in several countries, I might just run for mayor of a town/city that I live in . Then immediately push to limit sprawl by placing an urban growth boundary.
I can at least say that one city in America, Detroit, is doing the right thing by downsizing.
Quote:
Boy, are you dead wrong! America is bursting at the seams with vision and initiative! Our vision is that cities are crime-ridden and dirty and that suburbs are perfect in every way, and out initiative is to keep buying up land and building more five bedroom, four bath, three car garage houses with the nice white picket fences!
Ah, the manifest destiny lives on in Americans! I'm sure we've conquered around 30% or more of NA's land, and now we're still dreaming of paving roads and building rows of two-story houses with large backyards miles from city center on it.
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #59
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
^You disagree?
Of course I disagree. It is one of those blanket statements churned out by people who have probably never even been to North America, or Australia. There are plenty of places in Europe where the buildings are all quite similar, so why would that not constitute "cookie cutter" any more than North America? Are the Cotswolds in England "cookie cutter" because all of the cottages "look the same" ? Is Bath "cookie cutter" because all of the Georgian townhouses "look the same"? Of course not, because "cookie cutter" really is just an insult we like to use about areas other than our own cities.

I suppose this is not "cookie cutter" because it is European urban sprawl:

source of photo unknown

I'd say it was obvious from the beginning that this would eventually boil down to a Europe vs North America type thread.

Last edited by Taller, Better; October 6th, 2010 at 08:16 PM.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #60
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

^ +1!
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote