daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #81
guille_89uy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Barcelona

guille_89uy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #82
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

^ Nothing about it judging off those pics looks "cookie-cutter"...
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #83
Penguino

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I can see how someone would think the newer Vancouver condos are cookie cutter, but the last picture is of the office district and shows only office buildings that all have completely different designs. How much do you actually know about the city?
know it pretty good. lived ther 4 a while when i moved to canada but it is not a exciting place. office towers there not interesting to me.

you live in vancouver? sorry if i hurt your feelings.
image hosted on flickr

by DEE.GRAPHICDESIGN

image hosted on flickr

by ckkelley at ssp

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rtrska/3410602461/
Penguino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #84
dleung
BANNED

Likes (Received): 131

Maybe you don't know what cookie-cutter means? It's not synonymous with "boring". Your second pic is cookie-cutter, but not the others. Why r u posting the same things twice?
dleung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #85
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 309

Exactly. Cookie-cutter doesn't mean boring or that you don't find something impressive. It means an example of an identical design repeated over and over again. The office district is not cookie-cutter.

And no, my feelings weren't hurt, it was just a silly thing to say.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #86
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12204

What I don't understand is, where are we coming up with these carved-in-stone encyclopaedic definitions of "Cookie Cutter"? Why are we so certain that it is "not synonymous with "boring" ? It is obviously a pejorative term and one used to ridicule reams of buildings that have been cranked out with no effort to vary shape or design. They could have been cranked out in 1880 or 1980. I would think that "boring" would certainly be a term associated with "cookie cutter", would it not? It would to me, anyway.
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #87
dleung
BANNED

Ahh, TB playing devil's advocate again...

"Man, the nightlife in Burnaby is so cookie-cutter!"
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #88
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10793

I found a perfect one!

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #89
ChristianM23

Likes (Received): 0

these show example of gentrification instead of cookie cutter. However, cookie cutter is still something i don't understand well.
ChristianM23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #90
The Cake On BBQ
Moderat÷r

Likes (Received): 8519

Cookie-cutter=boring. Yes, pool's closed.
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #91
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Ahh, TB playing devil's advocate again...

"Man, the nightlife in Burnaby is so cookie-cutter!"
Not so much devil's advocate; more "wtf is he talking about??"
Are you in Burnaby now? I haven't been there in many years.

I don't understand the keenness to nail cookie-cutter down to a specific "definition". It could obviously mean different things as it is a bit of a put-down description.
Sort of like trying to put restrictions on the meaning of "Fugly".

Last edited by Taller, Better; October 15th, 2010 at 10:19 PM.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #92
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 309

I think the real question is what's the point of using a highly specialized and much less familiar term like cookie-cutter when all one means is boring? Why not just say boring?

Well the answer is obviously that a thread called most boring city wouldn't be allowed to exist due to its potential to incite conflict, so using a thread about another topic just to insult any city you don't like or don't find interesting should be viewed no differently.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #93
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1022

"Cookie-Cutter" is definitely an insult in the USA. As mentioned, it generally refers to dull, repetitive housing, but can also refer to other repetitive designs that lack thought or care.

It doesn't mean a grid-based planning system.

I'm typing this right now as an American staying in Barcelona's Eixample district. I do not consider this area "cookie-cutter" by any means. Yes, the urban fabric is a repetitive system of gridded blocks. But so are many American cities. The point is that individual buildings are unique, not repetitive.

Coincidentally, I came here from Amsterdam and am returning there in a few days. Of all cities cited, I cannot imagine why anyone in their right mind would consider Amsterdam "cookie-cutter." It is most definitely not.
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #94
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I think the real question is what's the point of using a highly specialized and much less familiar term like cookie-cutter when all one means is boring? Why not just say boring?

Well the answer is obviously that a thread called most boring city wouldn't be allowed to exist due to its potential to incite conflict, so using a thread about another topic just to insult any city you don't like or don't find interesting should be viewed no differently.

I'm not sure how highly specialized "cookie cutter" is as a term. It generally refers to things stamped out repeatedly looking the same.

I don't feel strongly enough either way to get all worked up about it, but if people say that a lot of buildings look boring because they all look alike, then I suppose that is what the thread is about. Can cookie cutter look "exciting"? If people are finding the thread insulting it can easily be closed I suppose.
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #95
thebackdoorman

Likes (Received): 52

Why is Barcelona, Athens, Vancouver and Amsterdam in this thread.
Cookie-cutter does not mean a grid system, it also does not necessarily mean repetitive.
If i make one thousand cookies, but spend 1 hour on each one, they are not "cookie-cutter" like even if they look the same. If I use an industrialized size oven and other sorts of machinery, and I come up with one thousand cookies, then that is cookie-cutter like.
So places like Barcelona, well first you will not make a good detective if you think all the buildings look the same cause they do not---because buildings are of the same size and in a grid, it does not mean they are the same. Second, to describe it as cookie-cutter you also have to show that they were built quickly and mechanically.
So, american suburbia is pretty cookie cutter like, one might claim that some mvrdv or gehry buildings are cookie-cutter, but a place like Barcelona??
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #96
dleung
BANNED

Exactly. So far, none of the pics of Barcelona, Athens, etc were showing cookie-cutter. Although Penguino mentioned Vancouver apparently for the wrong reasons (that it's boring), it can be argued that parts of Vancouver ie: concord pacific, and parts of the eastern suburbs are indeed cookie-cutter. Of course, much less so than most North American cities. Yaletown highrises look similar, but only because of regulation, not because one developer stamped out dozens of towers all at once. A most "boring" city thread won't work because "boring" is subjective, whereas "cookie cutter" is objectively defined by the built form. That this is confusing to some people is really surprising.
Old October 16th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #97
Taller, Better
Administrator

So... what really is the point of the thread? What are we gaining from it? Seems a bit on the lame side, to me.
So far all it seems to be is: "City A is cookie cutter. No, it isn't, it is just boring".
"City B is cookie cutter. No, it isn't because it is European, and is built on a grid system".

Last edited by Taller, Better; October 16th, 2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old October 17th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #98
dleung
BANNED

Thebackdoorman couldn't have explained it any more clearly. Seems like many people do understand the concept, which is why i don't understand your continued negativity? The natural progression of this thread I presume is to look into examples of cookie-cutter, notice their economies of scale, and maybe discuss ways to achieve that without the coma-inducing environments that tend to result.

Hong Kong has lots of cookie-cutter apartments:

This is literally how they design them:

24 towers x 40 floors x 8 units per floor x 3 people per unit = 23,000 people on a couple hectares, lol
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #99
Taller, Better
Administrator

Ok, dleung, go for it! Looks to me to be the same stuff we've trotted out about suburban sprawl and urban high rise housing about three hundred times already, but you see something of interest that clearly I do not. Break a leg!

Last edited by Taller, Better; October 17th, 2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old October 17th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #100
Ashok

Likes (Received): 2878

dont nominate Barcelona - it is on the other extreme of cookie cutter cities !