SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mumbai Redevelopment Projects - Makeovers | Cluster Redevelopment | New Promenades etc

523K views 1K replies 147 participants last post by  v952010 
#1 ·
Guyz,

This is Savio, n this thread has been created for all of us here to post updates as and when for the Nariman Point Makeover which is a huge project in the pipeline and would definately change the look and feel of south mumbai's original CBD. I am quite excited and would urge you all to post any info on how the progress on papers is happening. I have read through articles for new streets like the Central Avenue, Central Park, New Commercial Skyscrapers all being planned for this ambitious project.

Also, am i am new if any1 could tell me how to post pics and article clippings from agencies it would then be my pleasure to update you all and like wise recieve fantastic updates from you.

Look fwd to your co-operation.

Savio.

#11 ·
yup . Atleast when I passed by that area I could see people working there.Also there was an article in one of the papers which mentioned they will complete most of the things according to the plan by december except for the destiny towers and probably the amphitheatre which will take more time. I will try and take a pic if I pass by that area.

#13 ·
Nice to know this old place is getting a brand new makeover

ok i have a few questions

1) Will of Nariman Point be redeveloped or just part of it?

2) Building a 100 story tower by 2013?

When is the completion date for this mega project?

and Savs if your going the mumbai would it be possible for you to update us on other projects like DB tower in marine lines or Indiabulls projects or sunshine tower? anything plz just snap it and upload it anything construction bulidings, metro, airport t2, flyovers, monrails, cityscapes, anything. mumbai projects thread(s) need a lot of updates. but anyways great work Savs have fun in mumbai and keep us updated.:)

#14 ·
The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) seems to be inching closer to bagging the prestigious Nariman Point redevelopment project.

The project, which will be the first and the biggest cluster redevelopment project in the city, also includes redeveloping the Mantralaya.

Once redeveloped, Nariman Point could rub shoulders with the Bandra Worli Sea Link (BWSL) as another infrastructure marvel of the city.

Thanks to a recent announcement made by the state government in the assembly, which cancelled the bidding for Mantralaya redevelopment, the public works department (PWD) — known for its babudom — is out of the way.

Thus, the MMRDA fancies its chances now; having made a presentation on the project a few months back to chief minister Ashok Chavan.

An MMRDA official said the intention was to convert the area into a business district, styled on Manhattan.

“We plan to have not only a 25-storey new Mantralaya or swanky new apartments for the ministers, but there are also plans to keep a lot of open spaces, walkways for pedestrians and a car park with a capacity to accommodate 5,000 cars,” said an official.

“We have sent a proposal for makeover of the Nariman Point area for which MMRDA is the special planning authority (SPA). Though our jurisdiction as SPA is towards the north of Mantralaya, we have proposed the redevelopment of the building as well as the ministers’ bungalows, keeping in mind the holistic development of the area,” said a top MMRDA official.

In Nariman Point, the government of Maharashtra has about 1.6 lakh square metres of space available.

With an FSI of 4, it will have 6.4 lakh square metres built up space available with it. Assuming that with 1.5 FSI, the space already consumed is close to 2.4 lakh square metres, the state government will have about 4 lakh square metres space available.

Private owners have about 2.2 lakh square metres space at present.

With an FSI of 4, that will go up to 8.8 lakh square metres. Assuming that with FSI of 2.5 at present, the space consumed is 5.5 lakh square metres, private owners will have about 3.3 lakh square metres excess space available as per the MMRDA proposal — which was given to the chief minister in December last year.

“The government structures in the area belong to various departments though the land entirely belongs to the state government. The government will have to take an initiative to acquire the land and let us redevelop it. This is likely to generate more than Rs10,000 crore, which the MMRDA intends to utilise for future infrastructure projects in the region,” said the official

source-DNAindia.com

#15 ·
I think the people who hand over the responsibility to MMRDA should think twice before doing so. They should learn from the failures of DDA and use that wisdom before bringing in MMRDA into picture.

Every governmental developmental authority in India functions in the same way and we cannot trust them completely.

cheers

#26 ·
This 100 storey tower willl never see the light of day, all just hog wash & a publicity stunt just to have a wow factor I think.

On top of the World Trade Center you can see Mumbai for miles in each direction so dont know why the Navy would have a problem with this.

#28 ·
TOI:

‘Central Park’ plans for city maidans go awry
Sharad Vyas | TNN

Mumbai: The state government’s plan to merge three south Mumbai maidans — Cross, Oval and Azad — to create a continuous Central Parktype of a green zone appears to be heading nowhere.
A six-member study group, appointed to look into feasibility of the proposal first mooted by the municipal corporation, recently decided that an international sports consultant will be hired to study the state of 54 cricket pitches and upgrade the existing sports infrastructure. From the looks of it, though, the plan may not go through at all, said members. In Monday’s meeting, they objected to it on the grounds that the steps have deviated from the plan’s initial objectives.
“Neither the state government nor the BMC seems to have a clue as to why the project has been conceptualised and at what cost will it come up. At this stage, there is no need to appoint a private consultant when the members are not even clear about the basic concept,” said a memeber of the panel, headed by Sanjay Kumar, secretary, sports (government of Maharashtra).
Some of the members argued that instead of appointing a sports consultant and setting aside land for the pitches, the state government must first undertake a space distribution survey and condition mapping of the 36.7 acres of green space to be developed along the lines of Central Park — one of the world’s biggest urban green spaces, which occupies 1,000 acres in Manhattan, US