daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2017, 03:47 AM   #2061
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

You do realize that Priestman is a design and certainly not an engineering company. It is promotional stuff. I mean it is nothing to taken seriously.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2017, 07:25 AM   #2062
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
You do realize that Priestman is a design and certainly not an engineering company. It is promotional stuff. I mean it is nothing to taken seriously.
I think you missed the part where the Intercon is just a concept too.
Old July 13th, 2017, 08:10 AM   #2063
foxmulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
I think you missed the part where the Intercon is just a concept too.
No, I read that. But there are "concepts" done by real engineering companies like Siemens (or more famously by car companies) and then there are "concepts" done by basically marketing companies. That concept done by Priestman means nothing for future of British train sets. It is a "fan-art" done "professionally". If it was a concept design by Siemens it may have had clues for real future design ideas.
Old July 13th, 2017, 10:01 AM   #2064
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10876

Neither does it seem to me that it is a good idea to gather cargo and passengers on the same train. The goods will have to be from origin to destination, so you better go on another train like TGV La Poste.

Zaz965 liked this post
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 04:28 PM   #2065
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Quote:
No, I read that. But there are "concepts" done by real engineering companies like Siemens (or more famously by car companies) and then there are "concepts" done by basically marketing companies. That concept done by Priestman means nothing for future of British train sets. It is a "fan-art" done "professionally". If it was a concept design by Siemens it may have had clues for real future design ideas.
Except their designs are running on the tracks already as the British Pendolino.

The design arms of engineering firms regularly do work like this too. The Intercon is almost certainly not going to see the light of day in its current state, and was probably commissioned as a 'futures' piece. It too is merely something to make people go 'wow'.

For example, the German Aerospace Center (DLR) designed this:
http://www.dlr.de/dlr/en/Portaldata/...li_2011_xl.jpg
According to your argument this design isn't fair game for copying because it was designed by an engineering and research centre, yet it's just as frivolous as the other two in terms of its chances of seeing the light of day.
Anyone in branding and design will tell you that in their industry IP is even more vital, as they have nothing else. An engineering firm may differentiate itself on the quality of its bearings, while design agencies only have their designs.

Basically just because they aren't attached to a huge engineering firm doesn't give them any fewer rights not to have their IP copied.

Last edited by Sopomon; July 13th, 2017 at 04:37 PM.
Sopomon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 06:45 PM   #2066
foxmulder

Quote:
Except their designs are running on the tracks already as the British Pendolino.

The design arms of engineering firms regularly do work like this too. The Intercon is almost certainly not going to see the light of day in its current state, and was probably commissioned as a 'futures' piece. It too is merely something to make people go 'wow'.

According to your argument this design isn't fair game for copying because it was designed by an engineering and research centre, yet it's just as frivolous as the other two in terms of its chances of seeing the light of day.
Anyone in branding and design will tell you that in their industry IP is even more vital, as they have nothing else. An engineering firm may differentiate itself on the quality of its bearings, while design agencies only have their designs.

Basically just because they aren't attached to a huge engineering firm doesn't give them any fewer rights not to have their IP copied.
That is not my point. I am not talking about copying at all. I am saying this (design by Priestman) is merely an advertisement. The design of an high speed train, especially one that is planned to go 400km/h, determined by aerodynamic testing.
Old July 13th, 2017, 09:30 PM   #2067
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1214

Quote:

A lot of people can draw pretty trains. A drawing will likely not qualify for IP protection. And the IP holder must apply for IP protection which has an expiration date.
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2017, 05:08 AM   #2068
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Quote:
That is not my point. I am not talking about copying at all. I am saying this (design by Priestman) is merely an advertisement. The design of an high speed train, especially one that is planned to go 400km/h, determined by aerodynamic testing.
Let me know when the Intercon set has undergone aerodynamic testing then.

Regardless of the details, it's still the case that the Intercon is a pretty obvious copy of the Mercury concept and it reflects badly on CRRC. It's a good example of 山寨 culture in action.
Old July 14th, 2017, 06:04 AM   #2069
foxmulder

Quote:

Regardless of the details, it's still the case that the Intercon is a pretty obvious copy of the Mercury concept and it reflects badly on CRRC. It's a good example of 山寨 culture in action.
Don't worry, you will know.

400km/h trains are already here and looking quite good for CRRC.
Old July 15th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #2070
ll2800116

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:

i totally cant agree with you, they look like two dsign so different! why do you say that it's a copy? just because they have dat nose? How do u think about Boeing and Airbus ? In my opinion they are much more similar, so who copied who? By the way , bullet train is a high technology that has been reaserched in China for many years , when it's designed it will be able to be produced, and England doesn't have dat ability yet. Copy? Funny
ll2800116 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 07:59 PM   #2071
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1214

The Mercury in 1936 ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streamliner

mrsmartman, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by skyridgeline; July 15th, 2017 at 08:06 PM.
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 11:14 PM   #2072
lawdefender

Likes (Received): 1383

Infographic: Bullet trains set new standards

By Ma Chi | chinadaily.com.cn | 2017-06-26 18:11 [​IMG]

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_29892314.htm

lawdefender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 11:17 PM   #2073
lawdefender

Likes (Received): 1383

China to roll out new class of bullet trains

By Jing Shuiyu and Zhong Nan in Beijing and Liu Mingtai in Chang Chun | China Daily | Updated: 2017-06-30 07:33

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/busines...t_29941631.htm

lawdefender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 12:56 PM   #2074
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdefender View Post
The photo of the CRH1A is from the CRH1E.
The photo of the CRH2E of 2008 is from a NG of 2016.
The photo of the CRH5G (based on Pendolino of Alstom) is from a CRH3C based on Velaro of Siemens.

Pansori, saintm, Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 17th, 2017, 01:07 PM   #2075
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

I spotted the discrepancies with photos too. What's the deal with journalists who always (and I mean literally ALWAYS) get things wrong when it comes to trains and railways? Is it really THAT difficult to do a tiny bit of research? One might get an impression that railways are like quantum physics or black holes which might be challenging to understand for many
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 02:09 PM   #2076
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Well, the complexity of the very diverse Chinese series, their enormity, plus their names (it seems that what they are trying to fool) ... is the most similar to quantum physics on the world railroad

Silly_Walks liked this post
Old July 17th, 2017, 07:54 PM   #2077
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Significant differences 1

CRH1A based on Bombardier Regina 2007

CRH1A 250 NG based on Bombardier Zefiro 250 NG 2015

CRH1E NG based on Bombardier Zefiro 250 NG 2016

CRH1E based on Bombardier Zefiro 250 (but not NG) 2009

CRH2C based on Kawasaki E2 prototype rejected:

CRH2C and CRH2E based on Kawasaki E2 2008

CRH2E 24XX series one level 2016

CRH2E 34XX series two levels 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrgx View Post

Old July 17th, 2017, 08:40 PM   #2078
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Significant differences 2

CRH3A CNR Tangshan 2015:

CRH3A CRRC Changchun (2017):
Quote:

CNR Tangshan 2015:

CRRC Changchun (2017):
Quote:
CRH3A 2007
The first three CRH3C trains were built in Germany by Siemens, and these imported trains were labelled CRH3A (CRH3-002A, CRH3-003A and CRH3-004A).

CRH2G #2417

CRH2G #2418

CRH5A wiith original painting (2007), there are also G and H

CRH5E 2016

New CRH380A prototype rejected 2015

CRH1 380 first name dismissed for CRH380D based on Bombardier Zefiro 380

Although I try to put photos from Wikipedia, but I have a problem with PhotoBucket and I'm out of file, so I've put the first photos I've found, sorry. I take to thank all the photos you put: thank you very much!

mrsmartman, FM 2258, saintm liked this post
Old July 17th, 2017, 09:46 PM   #2079
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Even with this list it's hard for me to keep up with all the variations of China's high speed trains. The only one I've ridden on was CRH1A from Guangzhou East to Shenzhen(Luohu) back in 2010. The CRH3A kinda threw me off. Two different companies make the same train and it gets the same designation? Plus jumping from CRH5A to CRH5E makes me wonder what happened to the CRH5B, C, D. Interesting developments though. My favorites are still the CRH5A and CRH380B(Velaro).
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 04:26 AM   #2080
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

It really IS like quantum physics. Look at them, and they change!
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china