search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #961
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
The Fastech 360 had those too, I wonder why they chose not to use them on the E5
I think the Fastech 360 is the first one to use those cat ear type of air brakes. And in the Hasea thread which posted the first CIT500 picture the poster also indicated that the air brake on CIT500 is of similar design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Not even 350 is really economical these days. Air drag squares with increasing speed and its not the question if you can create enough power for such speed, but the energy consumption. You have to gain an almost unreal increase in efficiency to be as economical as we are nowadys with 200-250. Plus there are many more problems (contact wire, traction...) going hand in hand with increasing speed.
Of course there are problems associated with speed, no one is questioning that. What I'm trying to say is that you can't say technology won't ever overcome those obstacles. Just like technologies have solved the weight issue which baffled engineers in many industries for many years.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #962
elianzoom

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
But on the other hand it's way safer and increases travel comfort. By nowadys technologies, too much weight is actually not a real argument anymore. The French made it decades ago.
Actually the shared boogie between carriages, was first made by Spanish Talgo Train, many years ago ( as far as I know ), and is still in use. The shared boogie ( actually independents weels ) in the case of Talgo are self guided weels what provides a parallel atack wheel to track ( the weels follow the track in a curve since they are guided by the previous car ) and a very low yaw force. Nowadays this system is used in the Talgo 350 Km/h HST, in the Barcelon-Madrid HSL and by comparison with the ICE 350 that runs in the same line, is more stable and still than the german model.
elianzoom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #963
joseph1951
BANNED

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by elianzoom View Post
Actually the shared boogie between carriages, was first made by Spanish Talgo Train, many years ago ( as far as I know ), and is still in use. The shared boogie ( actually independents weels ) in the case of Talgo are self guided weels what provides a parallel atack wheel to track ( the weels follow the track in a curve since they are guided by the previous car ) and a very low yaw force. Nowadays this system is used in the Talgo 350 Km/h HST, in the Barcelon-Madrid HSL and by comparison with the ICE 350 that runs in the same line, is more stable and still than the german model.
Actually all the EMU Italian Eletrotreno family (ERT200, ETR220, ETR250,ETR300) were artculated. The ETR200 was buit in 1936, and in 1939 reached a top speed of 203km/h on the historical line from Milan to Bologna. At that time,(in 1939) it took 75 minutes to cover the 219 km from Milan to Bologna

ETR200 link on wikipedia: (1936)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETR_200

etr300 (year 1952)

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settebello_(treno)

Last edited by joseph1951; December 29th, 2011 at 04:28 PM.
joseph1951 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #964
elianzoom

Likes (Received): 0

I am reffering more a nowadays running train, but great I didnīt know this seems to be one of the first HST in Europe impressive really. In America there was some articulated trains with jacobs boogies in 1934 , The Zephir, The Burlington Express etc ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Zephyr. As far as I know articulated trains are really more stable and safe than non-articulated trains, it seems that in some HST accidents happened in the last years, TGV has behaved much better than non articulated trains like ICEīs, the derailment is much more often in a non articulated unit.
elianzoom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #965
makita09

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I think Samurai is right about the size of each car is limited, so to achieve the same seating capacity as a 380AL with the same number of cars the only way is follow TGV Duplex' design. Otherwise you'll have to increase the number of cars of the trainset. Eitherway the total weight of the trainset will be increased, and more powerful motors are needed, the entire drivetrain becomes heavier, etc.
He's right but for the wrong reason. No matter what arrangement the distance between bogies has the same maximum (assuming standard car width), and this is dictated by the loading guage of the railway. TGVs cars are slightly under the theoretical maximum for an articulated coach that still fits on French tracks, so one assumes that another part of the reason for shorter cars is to reduce axle load and/or find a configuration that arrives at the 200m standard HS train length - which is another consideration.

At the end of the day, for whatever reasons they arrived at, it seems there is little between jacobs and conventional bogies, judging by the various manfacturers not feeling the need to swap to the other paradigm, and instead just keep building on their existing expertise. If there was a natural advantage to either I'm sure Siemens and Alstom would be using the same system by now.
Old December 31st, 2011, 04:17 AM   #966
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by makita09 View Post
He's right but for the wrong reason. No matter what arrangement the distance between bogies has the same maximum (assuming standard car width), and this is dictated by the loading guage of the railway. TGVs cars are slightly under the theoretical maximum for an articulated coach that still fits on French tracks, so one assumes that another part of the reason for shorter cars is to reduce axle load and/or find a configuration that arrives at the 200m standard HS train length - which is another consideration.

At the end of the day, for whatever reasons they arrived at, it seems there is little between jacobs and conventional bogies, judging by the various manfacturers not feeling the need to swap to the other paradigm, and instead just keep building on their existing expertise. If there was a natural advantage to either I'm sure Siemens and Alstom would be using the same system by now.
Another of makita09's mindless fanboyism I believe.
I haven't given any reason for why Jacobs bogies are utilized only stating they need shorter cars. Which is actually a design trade-offs to the rigidness of the interconnecting bogies so they can make curves.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #967
hmmwv

A collection of EMUs and DMUs ever seen action on Chinese railways.

Old January 8th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #968
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

To be honest, I don't think the CRH500 looks that bad from that view.
Silver Swordsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #969
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Likes (Received): 562

which train is this?
[IMG]http://i43.************/9leazk.png[/IMG]
Old January 8th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #970
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfword View Post
which train is this?
[IMG]http://i43.************/9leazk.png[/IMG]
The rear end of CIT500.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #971
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Likes (Received): 562

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaohua2000 View Post
The rear end of CIT500.
Cool. Thanks!
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #972
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 362

So, CRH500 basically has a 380A nose at the rear?
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #973
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

^I was gonna say that.
Silver Swordsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #974
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
So, CRH500 basically has a 380A nose at the rear?
Yes it has different drive cars at the rear.
CIT500, not CRH500. CRH track inspection trains carry the CRH designation, such as CRH400A, but modified test trains carry the CIT designation.
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #975
Attus

Likes (Received): 697

So this train can go to one direction only?
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 03:14 AM   #976
stoneybee

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
So this train can go to one direction only?
No, it is just a test train for use in technical testing and experimentation. It is not a regular train built for commercial services.
stoneybee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 03:16 AM   #977
stoneybee

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swordsman View Post
To be honest, I don't think the CRH500 looks that bad from that view.
Agreed, I actually think the CRH500 looks very cool.
stoneybee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:38 AM   #978
riles28
train

Likes (Received): 34

Any latest pic. about CIT 500?
riles28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #979
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 374

Update on CRH380AL revenue roster:

And a bonus:
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #980
hmmwv

BL seems to accelerate faster and louder than the AL.

Tags
china