daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #1561
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3737 View Post
Nice looking train.
Did they based its design on the velaro ?
They look almost identical although the nose looks longer and the headlights are in a different position.
I guess so. The source says that compared to CRH380BL the new CRH380CL's nose is 2.6m longer and reduces 12% more air resistance.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #1562
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

It's interesting that China decided to go with 16 car trains, does any other country with high speed rail have trains this long?
Eurostar
Shinkansen
KTX
ICE 3 x2
TGV x2
AVE x2

So, most nations actually. Granted, many of them have power cars, but modern EMU versions are being rolled out so all carriages have seats.

For someone who spends so much time on these forums, that was a surprising question to hear

Silly_Walks, FM 2258 liked this post
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #1563

Likes (Received): 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Eurostar
Shinkansen
KTX
ICE 3 x2
TGV x2
AVE x2
Don't forget the eurostar TMST which is 387.18 meters long and the new velaro E320 which will also be around 400 meters long.
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #1564
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Eurostar
Shinkansen
KTX
ICE 3 x2
TGV x2
AVE x2

So, most nations actually. Granted, many of them have power cars, but modern EMU versions are being rolled out so all carriages have seats.

For someone who spends so much time on these forums, that was a surprising question to hear
All of them can be coupled, duh... But it is rare to see them in operation with that configuration.

For shinkansen, the norm is 8/10-car sets.

For Korea, I have no idea to be frank.

Eurostar TMST (20 car model) has 750 seats. But again, most TGVs are 10 car sets with two locos.

Chinese 16 car sets with 1000 seats are as common as 8 car sets in operation.

So, to my knowledge no other country has 400m long trains with 1000 capacity in daily use. At least, not to the extend of China.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #1565
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post

So, to my knowledge no other country has 400m long trains with 1000 capacity in daily use. At least, not to the extend of China.
But that wasn't the question
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #1566
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
No.
Tokaido Shinkansen does not permit ANY trains that do not have 16 cars. Tokaido Shinkansen also does not permit any trains that do not have exactly 1323 seats, including exactly 200 first class and exactly 1123 second class seat, but no other classes.
This also makes direct trains Tokyo-Kagoshima impossible. Kyushu Shinkansn stations fit only 8 cars, so the 16 car trains from Tokyo physically cannot pass Fukuoka. The 8 car trains from Kagoshima freely travel to Osaka, and there is no physical obstacle to continue to Tokyo - but the 8 train cars are not allowed to pass.
Quote:
How many Chinese trainsets have 1323 or more seats, like Shinkansen?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #1567
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
All of them can be coupled, duh... But it is rare to see them in operation with that configuration. For shinkansen, the norm is 8/10-car sets. For Korea, I have no idea to be frank. Eurostar TMST (20 car model) has 750 seats. But again, most TGVs are 10 car sets with two locos. Chinese 16 car sets with 1000 seats are as common as 8 car sets in operation. So, to my knowledge no other country has 400m long trains with 1000 capacity in daily use. At least, not to the extend of China.
Actually 400m long trains with such capacity are quite common in France and Germany. seeing TGVs or ICEs running coupled is quite normal.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #1568
xinxingren

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Actually 400m long trains with such capacity are quite common in France and Germany. seeing TGVs or ICEs running coupled is quite normal.
It looks like a semantic distinction is being made, that 2 x 8 car units coupled cannot be compared to a single 16 car unit. For passenger seating, length, tonnage, etc they must be more or less the same. But I can see there might be some differences in driveability at speed.
xinxingren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #1569
foxmulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
No.
Tokaido Shinkansen does not permit ANY trains that do not have 16 cars. Tokaido Shinkansen also does not permit any trains that do not have exactly 1323 seats, including exactly 200 first class and exactly 1123 second class seat, but no other classes.
This also makes direct trains Tokyo-Kagoshima impossible. Kyushu Shinkansn stations fit only 8 cars, so the 16 car trains from Tokyo physically cannot pass Fukuoka. The 8 car trains from Kagoshima freely travel to Osaka, and there is no physical obstacle to continue to Tokyo - but the 8 train cars are not allowed to pass.

How many Chinese trainsets have 1323 or more seats, like Shinkansen?
I didn't know Tokaido Shinkansen was dedicated to 16-car sets.

Chinese 16-car trains have ~1100 seats.
Old September 29th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #1570
thtc

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
The capacity in Europe is lower on the German ICE and the French TGV (except for the Duplex) on a 400m (2x200m) long train. A coupled ICE 3 has about 900 seats (that's about 30% less then in China or Japan)
thtc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #1571
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

September 25th 2013

New CRH380CL comes into service on Beijing-Shanghai route before National Day holiday

by CNR小毅

Delta1088, CP11, foxmulder, Pansori, AlexisMD and 2 others liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #1572
Fryderyk

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
All of them can be coupled, duh... But it is rare to see them in operation with that configuration.

Eurostar TMST (20 car model) has 750 seats. But again, most TGVs are 10 car sets with two locos.

The KTX is a 20-car set. However that being said, it is not a high passenger loading train. The seat density is pretty low.

foxmulder liked this post
Fryderyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #1573
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
September 25th 2013

New CRH380CL comes into service on Beijing-Shanghai route before National Day holiday

by CNR小毅
Thanks for posting those.

It looks like the design is largely based on the original CRH3/Velaro. At least judging by the appearance of any finishing elements.

The more aerodynamic nose is one clear difference which is probably supposed to reduce air resistance. But I wonder if there are any more considerable improvements? Anything to do with axle loads, bogies, motors and other fundamental technologies to make the train more efficient and comfortable? Or is it just the nose (which is still quite an important improvement perhaps)?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #1574
foxmulder

Beautiful train but still CRH380A and "CRH500" are the best looking ones.
Old September 29th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #1575
Pansori
planquadrat

Sir, with all due respect you forgot the in my opinion bit.
Old September 29th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #1576
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:

I thought it was a widely known fact (at least among those with some interest in trains) that Japanese Shinkansen on some line was using 16 car sets. China started using them too (initially it had only 8 car EMUs) but Japanese 16 car trains remain more capacitous (albeit not by much).
Old September 29th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1577
foxmulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
..at least among those with some interest in trains...
ouch... you are so mean. I am a rail fan, ok.
Old September 30th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #1578
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtc View Post
The capacity in Europe is lower on the German ICE and the French TGV (except for the Duplex) on a 400m (2x200m) long train. A coupled ICE 3 has about 900 seats (that's about 30% less then in China or Japan)
That's because both the TGV and the ICE use 2+2 seating in 2nd and 2+1 seating in 1st. Because the Shinkansen is wider it uses 2+3 in 2nd and 2+2 for 1st, so for every row you gain a seat. As far as I can find CRH is the same.
Old October 1st, 2013, 12:21 AM   #1579
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingstingsting View Post
Ha I take that train almost every day! I'm pretty sure they were based on another series of train we had before this one, which was designed by Downer EDI here in Australia. But hey...

Anywho I guess the question rather is does China plan to develop something (or has developed something) akin to the TGV Duplex? Or maybe an EMU version?

All this considering that patronage of the CRH network is increasing.
So far I have not seen any serious efforts to develop something like the TGV Duplex. When China put CRH6 into service on a lot of the local commuter lines they will solve a lot of the capacity problems, as local traffic will shift away from longer distance HSR trains. Also considering China's experience in designing 160km/h class double deckers I don't think it'll be a huge challenge to make a HSR double decker if there is real demand for it.
Old October 1st, 2013, 01:21 AM   #1580
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
ouch... you are so mean. I am a rail fan, ok.
Please don't think I'm taking a piss or being ironic. It's just that I would honestly expect of you (judging by your contribution to the railway threads in SSC) to know this stuff.

Tags
china