daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #1601
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I think you're really confused about the spatial geography involved. Serving everyone with a direct train from their homes to their workplace has a cost, which is why stations have feeder connections.
And an important feeder connection is from a train stopping in minor stations on the line to the express train running the same line, at the major stations.
Quote:
The optimal railway route would actually have the FEWEST number of stations required in order to run at full capacity - because each extra station imposes a time and cost penalty for the overall system.
Time penalty for the trains that stop there.
Quote:
And you're confused about why the CRH6 is important. It's not the top speed that is important, because even old conventional trains can reach 160km/h. It's the fact that it is an EMU trainset which has much better acceleration/deceleration performance - which means stopping at an extra station imposes less of a penalty in terms of time and line capacity.
I mentioned it as well. What is vital is the average speed, with stops. That is what allows a well designed train to compete against a nonstop car on expressway.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #1602
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
There's two sides to it.

First is how much extra it costs to run at 380km/h.

The other side is how much they can charge for these trains, which is dependent on how high wages are. And remember wages are almost certainly going to double well inside of the next 5years.
It seems like China is the only country that is trying to push high speed rail past 320km/h, why is that?
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #1603
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Spain, Japan and Italy are all aiming for 350-360 km/h operation. Different reasons are holding each country back.
Spain is waiting for a new signalling system to come online
Japan is waiting for trainsets that pass their strict noise regulations
And Italy won't let it happen until trenitalia has sets in service that can match the AGV being used by NTV

You should give the other threads in the forum a read, they're really quite informative as to data like this

SAS 16, FM 2258, Silly_Walks liked this post
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1604
SAS 16

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
We also have problems with flying ballast at +326 kmh

Sopomon liked this post
SAS 16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #1605
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Spain, Japan and Italy are all aiming for 350-360 km/h operation. Different reasons are holding each country back.
Japan is waiting for trainsets that pass their strict noise regulations
And Italy won't let it happen until trenitalia has sets in service that can match the AGV being used by NTV

You should give the other threads in the forum a read, they're really quite informative as to data like this
No one likes a pompous tone dude, chill. I was going to hit "like" then saw the last line...

As side note, I only see Japanese plans serious and that will take at least another 7 years until 2020. It is not about trains but the line itself. Tunnel boom is due to relatively old infrastructure.

I don't see a real possibility for Spain or Italy due to their economies. Also the ridership in Italy is quite abysmal.

I hope all three countries run trains at 350km/h so people can shut up about "350km/h is not feasible/economical" nonsense and when I visit them I can take a ride

Pansori liked this post
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #1606
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
No one likes a pompous tone dude, chill. I was going to hit "like" then saw the last line...
Purely subject to opinion. I for one saw nothing wrong with THAT particular last line. T'was a simple suggestion to actually go and read another thread for information that might have been of interest to the person he was replying to. I think we've all seen FAR worse. If anyone here needs to chill, it's the person reading too far into someone else's post.

On the topic of this thread, it seems like those editing Wikipedia for the CRH topics have dropped off the face of the Earth. Those articles are so outdated at this point, I can't even imagine where to begin if I were to update them.

Silly_Walks liked this post
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #1607
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

To add to my previous statement;
Quote:
Turkey appears to be the closest to implementing 350 km/h hour operations, as the Velaros currently being built and tested are intended to run at that speed from the get-go.

FM 2258 liked this post
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #1608
xinxingren

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Railer View Post
On the topic of this thread, it seems like those editing Wikipedia for the CRH topics have dropped off the face of the Earth. Those articles are so outdated at this point, I can't even imagine where to begin if I were to update them.
If you do start, I have a plea from a boring old fart, Please leave the old stuff in there tagged as that's what it was back then. Amongst Wikipedia's manifest evils are the zealous youths who edit pages as up-to-date as Kansas City, and ruthlessly purge all the cruft. This forces us old codgers to get an account to go see the edit history ...
xinxingren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #1609
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
To add to my previous statement;

Turkey appears to be the closest to implementing 350 km/h hour operations, as the Velaros currently being built and tested are intended to run at that speed from the get-go.
What about South Korea, they are pretty ambitious about the HEMU-430X project.
Old October 9th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #1610
Restless

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Railer View Post
Purely subject to opinion. I for one saw nothing wrong with THAT particular last line. T'was a simple suggestion to actually go and read another thread for information that might have been of interest to the person he was replying to. I think we've all seen FAR worse. If anyone here needs to chill, it's the person reading too far into someone else's post.

It's one section at the time.
Restless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #1611
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Trains that will be running on Guangzhou-Shenzen-Hong Kong HSR

Based on CRH380A, manufactured by CSR

--metrofans
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #1612
Traceparts

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post

--metrofans
looks weird
Traceparts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:16 AM   #1613
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Quote:

--metrofans

Hope to see 380A in more colorful, different liveries. It is just fun It may happen with the push for export.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 05:17 AM   #1614
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:

Based on CRH380A
Based on? Do we know what it will be called, and what will be different from the CRH380A?
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #1615
everywhere
The Explorer

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:

--metrofans
How many trains will be used for that line?
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #1616
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Based on? Do we know what it will be called, and what will be different from the CRH380A?
Hong Kong MTR will own and operate the trains so I heard it's called MTR380. The spec is not available yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everywhere View Post
How many trains will be used for that line?
Dunno yet. For the first batch MTR bought 9 trains. They cost HK$1.74 bln. Guangzhou-Shenzen-Hong Kong HSR will open in 2015.

Silly_Walks liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #1617
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
Hong Kong MTR will own and operate the trains so I heard it's called MTR380. The spec is not available yet.

Dunno yet. For the first batch MTR bought 9 trains. They cost HK$1.74 bln. Guangzhou-Shenzen-Hong Kong HSR will open in 2015.
Here is an article with a LITTLE bit of information:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/h...-unveiled.html
Quote:
CHINA: The first of nine high speed trainsets which MTR Corp has ordered for the Hong Kong - Shenzhen - Guangzhou Express Rail Link was rolled out by CSR Qingdao Sifang on November 6.

MTR Corp said the 'sweeping streaks of red and white on the livery of the eight-car train reflect the warm, smooth and comfortable travel experience that they will provide', while the 'sharp orange arc on the side of the first car is symbolic of a Chinese dragon and denotes the train's Chinese heritage.'

MTR Corp placed a HK$1·74bn order for the trainsets in early 2012. Based on the CRH380A design, the trainsets will have two driving trailers and six motor cars with a total of 579 seats. They are designed to operate at up to 350 km/h, although they will be limited to 200 km/h on the section of the ERL within Hong Kong which will be entirely in tunnel.

The first trainset is to be tested in mainland China before being shipped to Hong Kong for commissioning in April 2014. MTR Corp said it has put system assurance and system integration programmes in place to manage risks, and has commissioned an independent assessor to evaluate the safety of the trainsets and signalling systems.
Also from this, older, article:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...-kong-erl.html
Quote:
MTR Corporation has awarded CSR a Yuan 1.36bn ($US 215.7m) contract to supply nine high-speed trains for the Guangzhou - Shenzhen - Hong Kong Express Rail Link (ERL).

The eight-car sets will be a development of the 380km/h CRH380A, 40 of which have been supplied to China's Ministry of Railways (MOR), and will be delivered in time for the opening of the 26km Hong Kong section of the ERL in 2015. The new trains will be used on high-speed shuttle services to Shenzhen and Guangzhou, which will require a total of 18 trains. MTR will operate the shuttles in a joint venture with a Chinese partner, which will provide the remaining nine trains. Long-distance services on the 142km ERL will be operated by MOR.
Also, here is the same photo from above, but in higher resolution and without the watermark:

Last edited by Fan Railer; November 7th, 2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Adding more info; photo without watermark
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #1618
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

The color scheme is a good start, I just hope the graphics is less busy.
Old November 7th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #1619
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

So this is in effect the first exported HSR trains from China? It's like a 'trial' export after which we might see contracts signed with countries outside China's realm.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #1620
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Hopefully CRH trains will be running in Taiwan soon.

urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china