daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2015, 02:16 AM   #1901
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Link to a CRH6F video, it only appears in the last part of the video for some reason (1:00 mark):

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/lpF8jKOzHmM/

How does this train qualify for the CRH logo if it runs less than 200km/h?

Last edited by FM 2258; July 13th, 2015 at 02:23 AM.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:41 AM   #1902
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post

This is not a HSR train. Rather a regular 160km/h EMU trainset.

I wonder if this is to do with wrong translation or a very lame PR tactic of calling any EMU an 'HSR'.

As for HSR exports China is yet to export its first HSR trainset beyond its borders.
Likely translation error, the Chinese text is pretty clear that it's the first "dongche (EMU)" exported.

Pansori liked this post
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:43 AM   #1903
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Link to a CRH6F video, it only appears in the last part of the video for some reason (1:00 mark):

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/lpF8jKOzHmM/

How does this train qualify for the CRH logo if it runs less than 200km/h?
They pretty much put CRH logo on all EMUs, also some version of CRH6 does run at speed >=200km/h.

FM 2258 liked this post
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:44 AM   #1904
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Likely translation error, the Chinese text is pretty clear that it's the first "dongche (EMU)" exported.
They've been pretty consistently making that error for a long time now

krisu99, phoenixboi08, Silly_Walks liked this post
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #1905
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 51940

Shanghai Maglev by memos to the future, on Flickr

Rokto14, VECTROTALENZIS, lkstrknb, Zaz965 liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #1906
FM 2258

Quote:
They pretty much put CRH logo on all EMUs, also some version of CRH6 does run at speed >=200km/h.
I see. None of the conventional trains run at 160 km/h do they? Otherwise I guess that would qualify for a CRH logo I think.

Anyone know if this version of CRH6 will hit the rails? I guess I thought this was going to be the one of the versions of CRH6:

Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 16th, 2015, 07:40 AM   #1907
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEE2 View Post
Personally, I don't think travelling by bullet train between Beijing and
Guangzhou is better than by airplane.
Depends on the balance of time v. money. If you're time-rich and money-poor then a slower service makes more sense. Planes are better for time-poor money-rich travelers.

I'd also add that in certain situations sleeper trains do offer a good time-money tradeoff. Generally speaking, that tradeoff seems to be when the train can make the trip between five and eight hours and the terminal has enough spare capacity to leave the cars until late morning. While the plane is faster there's a huge convenience loss because you're being woken up at your destination in the middle of the night.

By the way, overnight bus travel sucks balls.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 08:46 AM   #1908
FM 2258

I always imagine taking high speed train for the scenery but ironically every high speed train trip I've taken in my life(Italy, France, Belgium, China-CRH1) I've fallen asleep during the trip, was sooo comfortable.
Old July 16th, 2015, 06:41 PM   #1909
ccdk

Likes (Received): 951

CRC Announces Plans to Buy 350 Bullet Trains This Year
http://english.caixin.com/2015-07-16/100829644.html
Here is the news in Chinese, contains slightly more information: http://companies.caixin.com/2015-07-16/100829371.html

(Beijing) – China Railway Corp. (CRC) plans to buy 351 bullet trains via tender in August that it estimated would cost 66 billion yuan as the operator of the country's railroads continues to add to its high-speed network.

The CRC issued a notice on July 15 that invited bidders for 98 250 kph trains; 196 that travel at up to 300 kph; and 12 more that run at up to 350 kph. The company also said that it will buy 45 high-speed trains capable of operating at high altitudes and low temperatures.

Manufacturers have until 2:30 p.m. on August 6 to place their bids, the CRC said. Each train will include one engine and and unspecified number of cars. Bullet trains in the country often have six to eight cars.

The CRC budgeted around 150 billion yuan for train and parts procurement in 2015, but only spent 30.9 billion yuan in the first half of the year.
The tender comes as the CRC continues to add to the country's bullet-train network. Some 1,000 kilometers of track were added to the network in the first half of the year, bringing the total to 17,000 kilometers.

Analysts and media outlets have questioned whether the tenders will become a formality now that two country's main train makers merged into China Railway Rolling Stock Corp. Ltd. in June.

However, a manager at one equipment supplier who asked not to be named said the new company had three subsidiaries licensed to make high-speed trains and they will have to compete as separate entities because they are independently run.

The former Ministry of Railways bought 1,300 high-speed passenger trains from 2004 to 2010 as China rapidly expanded its railroad network. In 2013, the ministry was ordered by the central government to split in two, becoming the CRC and the National Railway Administration, which is under Ministry of Transportation.

The procurement of high-speed trains was mostly stopped until 2013 following an accident in which two high-speed trains collided in Wenzhou, in the eastern province of Zhejiang, killing 40 on July 23, 2011.

The CRC bought 349 passenger cars in two tenders in 2013, and the next year two more tenders involved 393 trains. This makes this year's purchase the biggest single tender for the CRC.

China's high-speed trains are based on imports from Germany and Japan. Foreign companies have been shut out of CRC tenders since 2007, the year Chinese suppliers started making their own trains.

(Rewritten by Li Rongde)

Last edited by ccdk; July 16th, 2015 at 06:47 PM.
ccdk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #1910
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I see. None of the conventional trains run at 160 km/h do they? Otherwise I guess that would qualify for a CRH logo I think.

Anyone know if this version of CRH6 will hit the rails? I guess I thought this was going to be the one of the versions of CRH6:
Note I said they lable EMUs as CRH, not trains running at speed greater than 160km/h. So no even if there are conventional trains run at 160km/h they will not qualify for the CRH logo. There are multiple conventional trains that run at 160km/h top speed, for example the T318/7 between Beijing and Baotou.

FM 2258 liked this post
Old July 19th, 2015, 03:01 PM   #1911
flankerjun

Likes (Received): 1230

milestone

Old July 19th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #1912
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

hahaha... CNR and CSR are kissing.

mrsmartman liked this post
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #1913
krisu99

Likes (Received): 191

I am still curious whether the merger of CNR and CSR are helpful or not for the development of Chinese high speed train industry as a whole...
Competition between the two will not take place in the future...
krisu99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #1914
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

For domestic market, there will be competition but for foreign orders, there suppose to be coordination.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 12:50 AM   #1915
FM 2258

Quote:
Note I said they lable EMUs as CRH, not trains running at speed greater than 160km/h. So no even if there are conventional trains run at 160km/h they will not qualify for the CRH logo. There are multiple conventional trains that run at 160km/h top speed, for example the T318/7 between Beijing and Baotou.
I had to look up what EMU stood for because I thought it meant "Electric Motor Unit"....big difference.
Old July 20th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #1916
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Are vehicles on Chinese subways also EMU-s?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 02:51 AM   #1917
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Of course
Old July 20th, 2015, 06:44 AM   #1918
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Of course
Then are subway vehicles by definition CRH trains?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 06:52 AM   #1919
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

No, clearly the Chinese Railway Corporation differentiates between metro and mainline railways.
However I do think it's stupid to consider all EMUs on mainline rail as CRH
Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:00 PM   #1920
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Then are subway vehicles by definition CRH trains?
No because subways don't belong to CRC.

Tags
china