daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #61
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 3214

MIF gets better and better. Just incase anyones interested.

Link to the MIF site.

MIF lays on clubbing spectacular

17/ 4/2007

LIKE a clubbing version of Toys ‘r’ us, all the biggest names in clubland will be brought together all under one roof for a unique two-day event during the inaugural Manchester International Festival this summer.

Fatboy Slim, Carl Cox, Laurent Garnier, Pete Tong and Sasha are just a handful of the many names billed to appear at the Industrial Resolution event on July 6 and 7.

Set to be held at Manchester Central (formerly the G-Mex), IR promises to be a monumental visual arts installation soundtracked by a premier cast of players.

Commissioned by the festival and performed live by visual artists from Microchunk, led by director Todd Graft - the result is set to be an interactive, spontaneous and build on the varying experiences of the audience’s perspective within the venue.

By using mosaics – images within images and subplots within meta-themes – the video artists will focus on a series of issues relating to the industrial and digital revolutions including ecology, music, computation, politics and communication.

On the festival director Alex Poots said: “Industrial Resolution was conceived to pay homage to Manchester’s cultural and musical history, but also to look to the future to see how we can embrace the digital world.

“This will be the ultimate club night for the original party city.”

The line-up so far is:

Friday, July 6
2 Many DJs, Bushwacka, DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist, Erol Alkan and Richard Norris present Beyond the Wizard’s Sleeve, Gilles Peterson, Unabombers

Saturday, July 7
Carl Cox, David Morales, Erol Alkan, Fatboy Slim, Frankie Knuckles, Laurent Garnier, Layo, Pete Tong, Sasha

Industrial Resolution takes places on Friday and Saturday, July 6 and 7. £32.50 for the first night, £40 for the second - £70 for both nights. Tickets are on sale to the general public on Friday, April 20 at 10am. Click here for more information.

http://www.manchesterinternationalfestival.com/
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 20th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #62
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
MIF gets better and better. Just incase anyones interested.

Link to the MIF site.

MIF lays on clubbing spectacular

17/ 4/2007

LIKE a clubbing version of Toys ‘r’ us, all the biggest names in clubland will be brought together all under one roof for a unique two-day event during the inaugural Manchester International Festival this summer.

Fatboy Slim, Carl Cox, Laurent Garnier, Pete Tong and Sasha are just a handful of the many names billed to appear at the Industrial Resolution event on July 6 and 7.

Set to be held at Manchester Central (formerly the G-Mex), IR promises to be a monumental visual arts installation soundtracked by a premier cast of players.

Commissioned by the festival and performed live by visual artists from Microchunk, led by director Todd Graft - the result is set to be an interactive, spontaneous and build on the varying experiences of the audience’s perspective within the venue.

By using mosaics – images within images and subplots within meta-themes – the video artists will focus on a series of issues relating to the industrial and digital revolutions including ecology, music, computation, politics and communication.

On the festival director Alex Poots said: “Industrial Resolution was conceived to pay homage to Manchester’s cultural and musical history, but also to look to the future to see how we can embrace the digital world.

“This will be the ultimate club night for the original party city.”

The line-up so far is:

Friday, July 6
2 Many DJs, Bushwacka, DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist, Erol Alkan and Richard Norris present Beyond the Wizard’s Sleeve, Gilles Peterson, Unabombers

Saturday, July 7
Carl Cox, David Morales, Erol Alkan, Fatboy Slim, Frankie Knuckles, Laurent Garnier, Layo, Pete Tong, Sasha

Industrial Resolution takes places on Friday and Saturday, July 6 and 7. £32.50 for the first night, £40 for the second - £70 for both nights. Tickets are on sale to the general public on Friday, April 20 at 10am. Click here for more information.

http://www.manchesterinternationalfestival.com/
that sounds completely awsome! i shall be thinking about going

>>>Like house music? Click here!<<<
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #63
macc

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddigga18 View Post
that sounds completely awsome! i shall be thinking about going

My mate just got me a ticket for the Friday. £35 is a bit steep but ever never been in I've Gmex as a music venue,so that'll be interesting.
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #64
uklad1979
BANNED

Likes (Received): 122

Anyone seen www.notmanchesterinternationalfestival.co.uk looks like a fringe is starting to appear which is great to showcase what Manchester has to offer and at a lower cost too.
uklad1979 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #65
Martin G
Compulsive : Obsessive

Likes (Received): 40

I'm applying to be one of the helpers during this festival - as either hospitality, front of house or whatever - seeing as I already do a fair bit currently helping with the museums, heritage groups, street festivals and folk music events.

It could get me into some events for nowt! But it all hinges on what it clashes with during my usual frantic summer festival season between May and September anyway.
147 metres: so is this the height of Birmingham's ambitions? The city surely deserves better. Arena Central / Arena Square / V Building The incredible shrinking tower: 245m --> 187m --> 175m --> 152m --> 150m --> 147m --> 143m --> ???m
Martin G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:16 PM   #66
uklad1979
BANNED

Get your free tickets for the Salford Quays Unknown Pleasures here It's a ballot with 5000 tickets up for grabs.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:45 PM   #67
macc

anyone know where you can get the little white brochure from, for the festival? I saw some bird on the bus with it today.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:51 PM   #68
uklad1979
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
anyone know where you can get the little white brochure from, for the festival? I saw some bird on the bus with it today.
You can get them from Tourist Info Centres or the Arts About Manchester leaflet racks that are in theatres, galleries and even some cafes/pubs/clubs.
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:15 PM   #69
macc

Quote:
Originally Posted by uklad1979 View Post
You can get them from Tourist Info Centres or the Arts About Manchester leaflet racks that are in theatres, galleries and even some cafes/pubs/clubs.
Got one! From the Tourist Info centre at the town hall extension. I had to ask for it though, they didn't have any on the shelf.

Its a hefty beast, too. Must cost a few bob to put together. Looks pretty smart though.

Cheers lad from t'uk, of year 79 (snap).

p.s. off topic: the peace gardens are rubbish.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:27 PM   #70
EDX
Manchester! - The best!

Likes (Received): 0

will it be on national TV, so the whole county will know?
EDX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:32 PM   #71
EDX
Manchester! - The best!

Likes (Received): 0

i found a link to the main website, here it is
www.manchesterinternatioalfestival.com
EDX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:38 PM   #72
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 396

Learn to spell
Accura4Matalan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #73
jrb
10th February 2008

Temporary pavilions for 30 days. Manchester Central. Petersfield.

Last edited by jrb; May 29th, 2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:39 AM   #74
Mez

Likes (Received): 31

Im doing the 'Artist Liason' position for the festival; so il get as many pics as i can for yall. Should get backstage to the industrial resolution (same again).
Mez está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #75
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 27

Last Weekend's Guardian (London Edition) had a good little booklet dedicated to the festival.

Some good stuff going on.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:31 AM   #76
jrb
10th February 2008

Train art really is Monkey business

IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE: Passengers get an eyeful of the colourful 'Monkey train' at Piccadilly Station

AS graffiti goes this is on an inter-city scale. But passengers at Manchester's Piccadilly station were not witnessing an extreme example of street art as the London express pulled in.

The Virgin Pendolino was, in fact, covered in 90 characters from Blur star Damon Albarn and Chen Shi-Zheng's eagerly awaited `circus-opera', based on the Chinese Monkey legend.

The show - called Monkey: Journey to the West - is to be the centrepiece of this year's inaugural 18-day Manchester International Festival.

Artwork for the train was by Jamie Hewlett, who co-created the hit band Gorillaz with Albarn and has provided the imagery for the new show.

The train will run between Manchester and London four times a day.

The opera tells the ancient Chinese story of a monkey king who is forced to undergo a journey of enlightenment after defying the gods.

It will feature 45 Chinese acrobats, Shaolin monks, vocalists and the UK Chinese Music Ensemble.

Journey

Albarn has described it as a `proper opera' and a `spiritual journey for everyone involved'.

The festival, which starts on June 28, will feature works from around the world and is set to rival Edinburgh's celebration of arts in size and scope.

High-profile artists already signed up include composer and producer William Orbit, chef Heston Blumenthal and comic Johnny Vegas.

Lou Reed will be performing and director Neil Bartlett and pianist Mikhail Rudy unveiling their dramatic interpretation of the memoirs of Wladyslaw Szpilman - already adapted as the Oscar-winning film, The Pianist.

Other artists due to take part in the festival include Motown legend Smokey Robinson, world-renowned Cuban dancer Carlos Acosta and musician and songwriter PJ Harvey.

It has been estimated the festival could bring in £34m to the local economy.

It is being overseen by Alex Poots, who was headhunted from his role as director of contemporary arts at the English National Opera.
Old June 9th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #77
SleepyOne

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
The RIBA Manchester Lectures – July 2 2007
6 June, 2007

An exposition of work and philosophy by three international architects - Deitmar Eberle of Baumschlager and Eberle (Austria), Borja Ferrater of Office of Architecture in Barcelona and Mathias Klotz (Chile). Part of the Manchester International Festival.

The Manchester Central Convention Complex (formerly MICC).
Monday 2 july 2007 time: registration 10.00
Venue: manchester central convention complex
Tickets: £50 including lunch, £25 students including lunch
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #78
macc

Does anyone esle feel overloaded by all the information from the festival? I originally planned to fit in as much as possible but am finding I can never be arsed to flick through it all to see what I actually want to go to. As yet I've booked nothing.

Is there anything other than the RIBA lectures that has caught anyone's eye? Doesn't have to be related to architecture.

EDIT

Erm. What the **** is this? £25 to view someones house that they're trying to sell. think I'll give this one a miss.

Interiors
Fri 29 June - Sun 15 July

Jeffrey Parkin is selling his house in order to pursue new property development opportunities in Montenegro. Come for a viewing and be shown around his home. The asking price is £235,000. The property has staircases and confined spaces, and may not be suitable for some visitors.

For viewing details go to 'book tickets' or call 0871 230 1888

Last edited by macc; June 11th, 2007 at 12:14 PM.
macc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #79
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Does anyone esle feel overloaded by all the information from the festival? I originally planned to fit in as much as possible but am finding I can never be arsed to flick through it all to see what I actually want to go to. As yet I've booked nothing.

Is there anything other than the RIBA lectures that has caught anyone's eye? Doesn't have to be related to architecture.

EDIT

Erm. What the **** is this? £25 to view someones house that they're trying to sell. think I'll give this one a miss.

Interiors
Fri 29 June - Sun 15 July

Jeffrey Parkin is selling his house in order to pursue new property development opportunities in Montenegro. Come for a viewing and be shown around his home. The asking price is £235,000. The property has staircases and confined spaces, and may not be suitable for some visitors.

For viewing details go to 'book tickets' or call 0871 230 1888
I'm going to the last night of monkey, that should be interesting. I was gonna see that interiors as i'm a fan of Johnny Vegas/Ideal, but £25 seems a little steep. The lectures are a rip off too.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #80
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Anyone else noticed this too? We should organise something for this, like a meet-up, or a tour or something..

http://www.notmanchesterinternationalfestival.co.uk/

Quote:
Not Part of Manchester International Festival

The Manchester International Festival (MIF) is coming. It’s the world’s only festival of original, new work. It’s going to be great (click on our MIF page to find out more). But we’re going to make it better.

If every event that happens in Manchester from 29th June to 15th July carries our web address on all its promo material then everyone who’s looking will know where to go to find out everything else that’s happening. And what’s more, everyone who’s putting something on will be promoting not just themselves but everyone else who’s putting something on. So it’s not just great publicity but good karma too.

Whether you’re a new or frequent visitor to Manchester, you’ll find something new & interesting on our listings. Click on the Listings page to discover more.

If you’re interested in putting an event on or in being involved, contact us. Details on the Get Involved Now page.

If you’re intrigued by the idea and want to find out more, check out our Blog, FAQ’s or contact us.

The MIF coming to town is an opportunity for the creative people of Manchester and beyond to show the culturally curious that there’s a lot more going on.

Don’t let this chance pass you by.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote