daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > West Africa > Ghana > Projects & Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 1483

ACCRA | Kempinski Gold Coast Hotel | 250 rooms | U/C

Quote:
Kempinski Gold Coast Hotel
Accra, Ghana

Located in the Gold Coast City Development in Accra, Ghana, the six-floor, five-star quality hotel includes 250 guest rooms. The building design was based on the Compound houses of Ghana and other western African countries that were traditionally used by kings and tribal chiefs. The organizing element of the hotel is the central courtyard with shaded seating areas, lawn, and a performance pavilion offering stunning views. The lobby and ballroom are protected by a green roof and pool deck which create alternate locations to relax and unwind.

The hotel will include multiple dining facilities, a conference facility with a main ballroom and several conference rooms, a spa and fitness facility, a night club and other associated support spaces typical for hotel operations. Site amenities include an outdoor pool, tennis court and a landscaped courtyard. The project also will include onsite water treatment and a generator to provide three days of water and power to the hotel.

PageSoutherlandPage provided planning, programming, architecture and MEP engineering for the hotel, which is expected to open in 2011, in addition to the master planning for the Gold Coast City Development.
Quote:
Kempinski Gold Coast Hotel Project Begins
Wed, 19 May 2010

A sod-cutting ceremony has been held in Accra to mark the start of construction of the Kempinski hotel in Accra.

The five-star luxury hotel has been the target of the Government of Ghana for almost two decades.

The hotel would include luxury suites and presidential suites which would help to fill a major gap in the sub sector.

At an official ceremony in Accra, Zita Okaikoi, the Minister of Tourism indicated that the Kempinski hotel would primarily cater for delegates who would visit Ghana and use the conference centre.

She noted that five star hotel projects, which are under construction such as the New Ambassador hotel and Kempinski hotel, were indications of the positive response by the private sector in their resolve to make Ghana the preferred vacation and business destination in Africa.

“It is the ministry's strong conviction that this is the opportune time for the tourism sector to experience tremendous growth in view of the enabling environment created for investments in the sector.

To buttress her point, the Minister of Tourism maintained that the political stability in the country over the past 20 years had provided security and safety for people to visit and do business in the country.

“The ministry is poised to support private initiatives to boost tourism and make the sector play its expected role in the transformation of the economy, particularly in foreign exchange generation, employment creation and poverty reduction,” she reiterated.

On his part, Managing Director of Kempinski Group, Marwan Zaknem revealed that the hotel would be opened in January 2012.

He noted that the hotel would have 269 rooms, two presidential suites, banquet facility for up to 1000 people, state-of-the-art meeting rooms, spa, salon and health club.

“It will also have swimming pools and tennis courts, three specialty restaurant and underground parking for 400 cars,” he added.

Giving a brief background of the company, the MD of Kimpinski group noted that the company, since 1897, is Europe's oldest hotel operators, adding that it is synonymous with five star plus properties around the world.

“We are happy that we were able to convince them to come to Accra and we believe that their decision is a further stamp of approval that Accra is becoming a leading metropolis in both Africa and the world,” he added.
(Don't forget Ethiopia and NYC, too!)
Simfan34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 28th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Construction work.
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:29 PM   #3
hsark
Afritect

Likes (Received): 133

thanks for the construction update

one nation , one zambia

大阪, ŌsakaJapan
hsark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:25 AM   #4
Ras Siyan
Jamhuuriyada Jabuuti

Likes (Received): 363

Kempinski is a great mark! They've got talent, Go Ghana!
Ras Siyan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:33 AM   #5
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

He he he, I'd like to go to this pool.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 02:44 AM   #6
èđđeůx
DrEameR

Likes (Received): 1478

Nice, but it should be taller. Just have fewer rooms on each floor to maximize space and make the Accra skyline look better.
èđđeůx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 03:11 AM   #7
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

It goes with the "Gold Coast City" development.
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #8
niireo
Ghana

Likes (Received): 10

In Which part of accra is the hotel located
niireo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #9
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Near Christianborg Castle, on the old racing grounds.

Welcome to SCC, BTW!
Old November 5th, 2010, 04:00 AM   #10
jufasa14
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 0

absolutely lovely!=D
Old April 1st, 2011, 03:05 AM   #11
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

New render, albeit small, that shows an overview of the hotel.

It's supposed to open in "Early 2011".
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #12
kaja_asif

Likes (Received): 3

hai guys myself mohamed asif from india working in dubai as mechanical engineer in HVAC field in construction. lot of projects are ongoing in accara any one help me how to get a job please give me information
kaja_asif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #13
obeeme

Likes (Received): 21

Kempinski To Open Luxury Hotel In Ghana This Year

Dubai, May 2, 2012; Kempinski Hotels, Europe’s longest-established luxury hotel company, announced plans to open luxury hotels and lodges in key destinations in Africa over the next few years.

Kempinski added that development of the Kempinski Hotel Gold Coast City in Accra is well underway with an opening set for the end of 2012.

Expansion in the Middle East and Africa region, which saw the opening of three hotels in the region since September 2011, with four more set to open before year end, is part of the overall strategy of Kempinski Hotels to double their portfolio to 121 hotels worldwide by 2015.

“We are now very well positioned in all the major cities in the Middle East, and Africa remains an important area of expansion for Kempinski. We will continue our development strategy throughout the continent over the next few years, partnering with key players in Africa to secure the best locations for our luxury properties. There is a worldwide fascination with this region and our distinct brand of European luxury and operational know-how makes us a main player in the Middle East and Africa,” said Ulrich Eckhardt, Kempinski’s President for Middle East, Africa and Indian Ocean.

The Kempinski Hotel Gold Coast City will mark Kempinski’s entre into West Africa, and is set as the centrepiece of a larger mixed-use development, Gold Coast City, which covers an area of some 35 acres and will include residences, retail space, an exhibition centre, offices, and government buildings. The hotel will feature 269 rooms and suites, including 2 presidential suites, as well as restaurants and lounges, 6000 sqm of shopping facilities, and a 2000 sqm spa.

Kempinski already maintains a foothold in Africa with a portfolio of five-star properties that spreads from Egypt to Djibouti to Tchad to Namibia and the Seychelles. With plans to open a third property in Namibia, as well as a managed residence in Nigeria, a hotel in Angola, in addition to the two properties planned for Kenya and one in Ghana, Kempinski will extend its reach even further into Africa, bringing European luxury and much sought after operational expertise to key destinations around the continent.
obeeme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #14
obeeme

Likes (Received): 21

Here is a link to some pictures

Opening end of 2012, the impressive Kempinski Hotel Gold Coast

http://www.imex-frankfurt.com/dynami...2/pdf/1823.pdf
Surely,this is another impressive hotel development in Accra Central
obeeme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:25 AM   #15
bilionar

Likes (Received): 3

No heart feelings guys but those small projects that Ghana has been doing are not to be compared to other African countries such as Angola, Kenya etc, Ghana project such as office buildings, hotels, roads and many more are not even value for money.

Ghana need a big infrastructure plan not a small piece of land been constructed by individual companies. Believe me you will be very disappointed if you see other African countries that you never thought could do very big infrastructure projects without even been funded.

This is not them just boasting, the huge infrastructure has already started since 2010, they are restructuring the whole city including their airports with proper terminals which we don’t have at our airports which is a disgrace to us.

At least we should do something with our airports. I was very disappointed though when I arrived at Kotoka international airport this year 2012. I was first boasting and bragging about Ghana but when my friend showed me other African countries on this website I was silenced I never thought they could do so well , I’m not even talking about South Africa, even they would keep quiet.

Well done for all my African brethren from all over the continent I’m very proud of you, I hope the entire Africa will continue developing their entire infrastructure and bring peace and stability.

Check the link below and see it for yourself.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1206309
bilionar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #16
apollojoe

Likes (Received): 47

Billionar has a valid point. I totally agree with you as I have made this observation right from the very first day I hopped on this forum. I have stated in the past that Ghanaians are conservative by nature and this reflects in the scale of our infrastructural development projects.

Take for example, the Kotoka Internatoinal Airport. Instead of going all out and building a larger new international Airport due to a significant increase in passenger traffic and aviation activities, Kotoka is constantly being refurbished at great cost which could have been channelled into the construction of a bigger, better international airport.

Another example is the George Bush motorway. It is impressive by Ghanaian standards but dosn't even compare to similar projects around the continent. Thika super highway in Kenya is a great example with elaborate interchanges and impressive tunnels. It passes through the heart of the capital. It is about 4 times the size of the N1 highway project in Ghana.

We need to take on bolder projects.
apollojoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #17
ability11

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilionar View Post
No heart feelings guys but those small projects that Ghana has been doing are not to be compared to other African countries such as Angola, Kenya etc, Ghana project such as office buildings, hotels, roads and many more are not even value for money.

Ghana need a big infrastructure plan not a small piece of land been constructed by individual companies. Believe me you will be very disappointed if you see other African countries that you never thought could do very big infrastructure projects without even been funded.

This is not them just boasting, the huge infrastructure has already started since 2010, they are restructuring the whole city including their airports with proper terminals which we don’t have at our airports which is a disgrace to us.

At least we should do something with our airports. I was very disappointed though when I arrived at Kotoka international airport this year 2012. I was first boasting and bragging about Ghana but when my friend showed me other African countries on this website I was silenced I never thought they could do so well , I’m not even talking about South Africa, even they would keep quiet.

Well done for all my African brethren from all over the continent I’m very proud of you, I hope the entire Africa will continue developing their entire infrastructure and bring peace and stability.

hahaha billionar, you absolutely right. Ghana is way behind most African countries infrastructure wise. I partly blame this on the phenomenon of too much politics, less work. All our leaders do is talk from morning to evening doing politics. They go sit on radio and tv stations from morning. They lack a sense of development urgency, innovation and creativity. With our high literacy rate in Africa, we should be doing more. Look at our cities and towns, they look completely like big villages with no planning, rules and regulations on buildings. I also blame that to our land tenure system. This has been one of our greatest disadvantage to city planning. Because we lack a strong government which will regulate he citing of buildings in our country, people end up building anything anywhere because the land belongs to them. Its a shame and it will continue hunting Ghana until that system is solved. God help our country
ability11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #18
popa1980

Likes (Received): 1108

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilionar View Post

Infrastructure? You do realise that Ghana has one of the best electricity infrastructure in all of subsaharan Africa and also some of the best roads.
These things are MUCH more important than showcase airports. You have cities like Banjul and Brazzaville with really nice airports but then 10% of the population have access to electricity (in Ghana its 72%).

Airports do have an impression on visiting investors and tourists, thats for sure.

But Accra certainly needs a co-ordinated infrastructure and design plan. Its too disjointed now. It will be make the city a nightmare to manage in future.

Ability11, I would seriously nationalise all unused stool lands. It will prove to be unpopular at first but eventually people will realise it is a good thing.
popa1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #19
popa1980

Likes (Received): 1108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ability11 View Post
hahaha billionar, you absolutely right. Ghana is way behind most African countries infrastructure wise. I partly blame this on the phenomenon of too much politics, less work. All our leaders do is talk from morning to evening doing politics. They go sit on radio and tv stations from morning. They lack a sense of development urgency, innovation and creativity. With our high literacy rate in Africa, we should be doing more. Look at our cities and towns, they look completely like big villages with no planning, rules and regulations on buildings. I also blame that to our land tenure system. This has been one of our greatest disadvantage to city planning. Because we lack a strong government which will regulate he citing of buildings in our country, people end up building anything anywhere because the land belongs to them. Its a shame and it will continue hunting Ghana until that system is solved. God help our country
Sad to say, town planning ended in Ghana ended in 1957. Ghana, like most of Africa, is giving itself problems that it will regret in the future. I wrote an email to 2 senior people in the AMA about Accra's disorganisation and i got nothing back from them. These people just collect a salary and do nothing.
popa1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #20
Timi16

Likes (Received): 71

Does anyone have any pictures concerning this project?
Timi16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote