daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > West Africa > Ghana > Projects & Construction

Old September 28th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #1
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 1160

ACCRA | Gold Coast City | Mixed-use | +21 fl | U/C

Quote:
Gold Coast City Project Takes Off Next Month
A US$1.55-billion modernisation project stretching from the Osu Castle along the sea front to the Arts Centre in Accra is to commence next month.

The 160-acre Gold Coast City Project will consist of residential villas and apartments, a shopping mall, a school complex, a recreational centre, a hotel and an office complex, including a World Trade Centre.

The residential apartments, estimated to house about 600 families, are made up of a 124-unit villa, 216 three-unit flats and a 10-unit apartment block of 260 flats.

The project will also see the construction of a six-floor 250-room five-star hotel, a three-floor shopping mall with ice hockey and ice skating facilities, a 21-floor World Trade Centre (WTC), a four-floor modern school complex, a 15-floor office complex for the Ministry of Tourism and a mini golf course.

The commercial development project, which is aimed at changing the face of Accra, is being promoted by Strategic Initiatives Limited with funding from Shuguang Group Company Limited, Guoqiang Construction Group Company Limited and Gemfy Group, all of China.

As part of the component of the project, a US$55-million fund has been earmarked for the relocation of ministries along the coast which will be affected by the project.

The initiator of the four-year project, Togbe Afede XIV, who briefed the Minister of Tourism, Mrs Zita Okaikoi, and his Deputy, Mr Kobby Acheampong, the Osu Mantse, some elders of the Osu Traditional Council and some members of Nai We, said the project, originally intended for either Dubai, Thailand or Angola, was diverted to Accra through his influence, and that it would make the city a tourist centre, which will generate both local and foreign revenues.

According to Togbe Afede, the overall objective of the project is to develop and sustain the entire stretch of the marine drive along the coast in the area.

He said the purpose of the project was to support the sea front development in Accra, as well as improve on sanitation in the area.

He said the project was expected to create social, physical and commercial infrastructure that would attract investment and tourists into the country.

Togbe Afede said the WTC Association, based in New York, had awarded Strategic Initiatives Limited the exclusive licence to build a WTC in the country and according to him, this would encourage most businesses across the country to locate their headquarters in the building.

The Minister for Tourism, in an address, said the siting of the project in Accra was going to help lift the image of Accra and Ghana as a whole.

She said the government had lent its full support to the project and expressed the hope that final arrangements needed would be sorted out for the project to start in March, 2010 as scheduled.

She said her ministry would ensure that the people of Accra were not left out of the proceeds and advantages the project was likely to bring to the capital, saying that it would help create jobs locally, as well as generate revenue for the development of other areas of the city.

The Osu Mantse, Nii Nortey Owuo III, commended the initiation of the project in the area and expressed the hope that it would first consider the youth of Osu so as to help limit the rate of unemployment in the area.

The Osu Stool Secretary, Nii Okwei Nortey, in a remark, called on the initiators of the project to consider other coastal areas in the city for a uniform development of the Accra coastal plain.

The Spokesperson for the Nai We, Henry Nii Yartey Yartey, also gave the familyĺs consent for the commencement of the project and expressed the hope that it would boost local tourism.
Quote:
Gold Coast City Master Plan
Accra, Ghana

Gold Coast City will be the new downtown of Accra, Ghana, and the new capital city of Africa. Conceived as a totally planned community, it will be a model for sustainable design and economic development. The first phase of this mixed-use development will include 3.2 million square feet of green space, retail, office towers and residential development.

The distinctly African character of Ghana will be captured in the design of the many people places and gathering areas. Sidewalk cafes and vendor kiosks will contrast with commercial and residential towers. Small plazas and courtyards filled with shoppers, tourists and business people will further enliven the 24-7 environment.

The entire Gold Coast City is organized and aligned along a grand boulevard and esplanade that bisects the site. Commercial office towers and parking garages will provide the backdrop for a three-level shopping galleria. A five-star hotel sited in an extensive national garden and arboretum will link directly to the Efua Sutherland Park. Accessed via Second Avenue, residential towers with private recreational amenities will afford views of both the ocean and the city.
This will change the face of Accra!!
(Don't forget Ethiopia and NYC, too!)
Simfan34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 28th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #2
abesha
BANNED

Likes (Received): 493

Is this the place around the airport? I think I remember something like that from previous years.

It's going to change Accra for sure.
abesha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #3
xAbd0o
(j)r(j)-p꜂(t)

Likes (Received): 621

I love it. Congratulation Accra.

- "I put "thobe" as my email password, but Gmail said it wasn't long enough."
- "#MyWifeIsLuckyBecause I let her shower naked."
- "#MyWifeIsLuckyBecause I let her wear make up under her niqab."
- "Can't stop thinking about those forearms I saw by accident."
- "Downloading the new "Angry Beards""
xAbd0o no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #4
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by abesha View Post
Is this the place around the airport? I think I remember something like that from previous years.

It's going to change Accra for sure.
No, this is right in central Accra. Here it is in Google Maps. You can also see the Moevenpick to the west.

I don't think I've made it clear enough, but the Kempinski is part of this project.
Old September 29th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #5
popa1980

Likes (Received): 760

I heard this had been stopped indefinetly due to the "revenge" politics that plagues Ghana. No doubt when the NPP gain power they will cancel lots of projects made by the NDC.
popa1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #6
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by popa1980 View Post
I heard this had been stopped indefinetly due to the "revenge" politics that plagues Ghana. No doubt when the NPP gain power they will cancel lots of projects made by the NDC.
I doubt it, the Kempinski hotel is part of this project and it's currently under construction.

I hope the NPP won't act like the NDC... what the hell is the point of doing that anyways? Everyone loses!
Old September 29th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #7
tanzan
Serengeti

Likes (Received): 690

very good project.congrats Accra
tanzan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #8
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Quote:
Osu Chiefs, Elders Unite Behind Gold City Project

Chiefs and elders from Osu and Nae We in Ga Mashie have appealed to President John Evans Atta Mills to intervene and resolve any difficulties that are being encountered by the investors behind the $1.55 billion Gold Coast City project for its speedy implementation.

In a letter to the President, 17 chiefs and elders of the Osu Traditional Area and Nae We said they wanted the government to show interest in the project by giving the go-ahead for the various ministries within the catchment area of the project to relocate to pave the way for its implementation.

Declaring their endorsement of the project, the signatories said the project would create jobs for the youth of Osu and Ga Mashie, most of whom were presently unemployed.

“As allodial owners of the land, we are united behind the Gold Coast City project and would want to have it commenced as soon as practicable, without further delay,” the letter said

It said the inability of the Lands Commission to locate the site plan of the area was no problem to them, as the two clans already knew the boundaries of their land.

Work on the Gold Coast City project, which stretches from the Independence Square through to the Arts Centre, with the aim of transforming the area into a modern trade and recreational complex in Accra, has stalled because of difficulties in locating the site plan of the 160-acre land.

However, according to two elders from Nae We who spoke to the Daily Graphic, the difficulty in locating the site plan should not be a stumbling block to the implementation of the project.

In January 2010, the allodial owners of the land signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the investors — Strategic Initiative Ltd and Shuguang Property Group Company Ltd, a private investment company from China, on the project.
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #9
popa1980

Likes (Received): 760

This wouldnt happen in Rwanda. In Rwanda, they dont talk, they just do. Didnt they make a "Ministry for the beautification of Accra" a decade ago?
popa1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:30 PM   #10
evany
skxawng by tsu'tey

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simfan34 View Post

This will change the face of Accra!!
congrats to Ghana ounce again...

0rgulho & Raša em frente SPC <3
evany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:09 AM   #11
ufookoro

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
This wouldnt happen in Rwanda. In Rwanda, they dont talk, they just do. Didnt they make a "Ministry for the beautification of Accra" a decade ago?
I prefer true democracy any day (Ghana). Things will get done eventually.
ufookoro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #12
CGhana

Likes (Received): 0

Looks very nice indeed
CGhana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #13
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 3815

Welcome to the Ghanaian forum
sure know how to run free"
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #14
kdonkor

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
hey...are u from Ghana?...why do u always have something negative to say on every thread....stfu....
kdonkor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #15
apollojoe

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdonkor View Post
hey...are u from Ghana?...why do u always have something negative to say on every thread....stfu....
That's not the point. it's healthy sometimes to say it as it is. There are harsh realities. The truth hurts but when we aknowledge our shortcomings, then we can move to rectify them. I'm sure Popa is a very patriotic Ghanaian as myself. Posting constructive criticsm on Ghanaian issues merely punctuates our concerns...and love for our dear nation.
apollojoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #16
diko

Popa is well intentioned in a lot of his posts. I guess he plays the devils advocate from time to time so that we analyze issues objectively. After all, if you want to improve you do need some constructive criticism.
diko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #17
kaja_asif

hai guys, my self mohamed asif from india currently working in dubai as Mechanical engineer - HVAC in projects and construction. i have seen lot of construction going on Accara. i have more than 7yrs experience in this feild. i like to work in africa bcoz i like the natural beauty climate and natural food. any one help me how to get jobs in accara OR some contact details for construction company this will helpful for me to find jobs. please i want to come there i like africa very much. please help me..
kaja_asif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #18
kaja_asif

hai guys my self asif from india working as mechanical engineer in hvac construction feild in duabi. any one please help to get jobs in accara lot of construction is going there. i have 7yrs experience in dubai. please help for me to get job there.
kaja_asif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #19
Roughcoins

Exclamation

Can we see any pictorial updates on this project since its U/Chttp://www.mtnfootball.com/browse.php?u=Oi8vd3d3LnNreXNjcmFwZXJjaXR5LmNvbS9pbWFnZhttp://www.mtnfootball.com/browse.php?u=Oi8vd3d3LnNreXNjcmFwZXJjaXR5LmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvc21pbGllcy9iYXNoLmdpZg%3D%3D&b=13XMvc21pbGllcy9iYW5hbmEuZ2lm&b=13
Roughcoins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #20
Roughcoins

can we see pictorial updates on this project since its U/C
Roughcoins no está en línea   Reply With Quote