daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2007, 10:14 PM   #1981
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Hong Kong stations don't have toilets...?
I think he meant THE Hong Kong station... but I still don't think they have toilets there

They have toilets at Kowloon station. Those are kept rather nicely.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2007, 11:07 PM   #1982
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
I think he meant THE Hong Kong station... but I still don't think they have toilets there

Hong Kong Station does have toilets. They're located on the concourse of In-town Check-in.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 04:13 PM   #1983
Pax Sinica
Rise of SERES

Likes (Received): 0

Sunny Bay station has nice toilets too.
Pax Sinica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #1984
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post

Yet, no one uses it.
Old September 27th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #1985
sfgadv02

A youtube video showing the new stripboard which includes both KCRC lines in colors! It also shows the new Mong Kok name on the KCR "Mong Kok East".

Old September 27th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #1986
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

That map is getting more and more complicated and soon will not fit in that narrow overhead slot with a geographical layout. MTR needs to start finding a new home for the map.
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #1987
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Alas! new map! thank-you!
However that's the only place where the bulbs are placed, anywhere else they'd have to reposition 8 sets of these bulb maps per carriage across the entire fleet!
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #1988
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
That map is getting more and more complicated and soon will not fit in that narrow overhead slot with a geographical layout. MTR needs to start finding a new home for the map.
I have a feeling that perhaps MTR will transition to some state-of-the-art digital display or perhaps make it wider one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_t View Post
Alas! new map! thank-you!
However that's the only place where the bulbs are placed, anywhere else they'd have to reposition 8 sets of these bulb maps per carriage across the entire fleet!
BTW, every time they add a new line/station, do they have to completely reprint the maps or do they just plaster an updated version over it? Whichever it is, that must be exhausting!
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #1989
sfgadv02

Interesting thought, maybe they could be like Japan's JR and add LCD display soon!
Old September 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #1990
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
BTW, every time they add a new line/station, do they have to completely reprint the maps or do they just plaster an updated version over it? Whichever it is, that must be exhausting!
Depends on how exhaustive the changes are. When the bulb maps first came out, they came with the North Point extension printed and used a grey sticker to cover that portion of the extension.

There hasn't been a station added on the core of the Urban network yet, so the bulb that flash on the M-stock/K trains have yet to add more bulbs, minus the TKO extension.

For the CAF built trains, the bulb map is only for that line only, and any changes to the network are only reflected in the network map, new maps still need to be printed to show updated line connections for the bulb maps.

HK is very efficient at covering network changes, with signage only updated on closure, and by morning, everything had been updated. I guess with this map update, there is no urgent need as the existing lines that need to be shown are already shown but in a different format.
Old September 28th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #1991
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
compared to those of NY, Tokyo or Mexico City, I don't find it that complicated. Though a redesign would be good option.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #1992
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18177

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
compared to those of NY, Tokyo or Mexico City, I don't find it that complicated. Though a redesign would be good option.
New York puts its subway maps on the side panels, not on top of the doors, so there is a lot more room for a bigger map.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #1993
EricIsHim

The problem is not putting one line or all lines information over the door.
But is how to put all the lines together in a GEOGRAPHICAL sense, which has been using since 1980s and you still see Island Line down at the bottom, then you see a loop around the top on the right for TKO and KTL, a spur on the left for TW and half loop for TCL and AE with Disney. Now you need to add West and East Rail with another loop crossing Tsim Sha Tsui and not showing the NT portion. Soon there will be Island Line West Extension and Shatin-Central Line for sure; and North Island Line and South Island Line are coming as well, even there is still a long way for the two new Island Lines to become true.

There is no way to squeeze all these information in that approx. 6' x 1.5' slot.

In New York, the newer trains also have light bulb blinking on the specific route map on board overhead. It is a straight line going left-right with station names, it doesn't show the station geographically to show which one is south and which one is north. It's kind of like what is on the KCR West and East trains right now. In addition there is a full system map on the side panel above the seat as hkskyline said. But I hate that map location because you can't read the map unless you lean very close to the person who is sitting below the map. And you can't get to and read the map during rush hours. Of course the system in HK, even with all rails combined, it's still incomparable to other big cities' system around the world in term of network complexity.

Maybe the map needs to be put above head on the ceiling, so everyone can see it just looking up.
Old September 29th, 2007, 04:32 AM   #1994
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
In New York, the newer trains also have light bulb blinking on the specific route map on board overhead. It is a straight line going left-right with station names, it doesn't show the station geographically to show which one is south and which one is north.
Well, there are two new kinds of trains. R142/3s display a printed version of their respective lines with blinking bulbs. The newer R160s have an LCD TV screen and the route is displayed using LEDs, but the entire route is not shown. See pics at >>>http://www.tienmao.com/archives/2005_11.html
Old September 29th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #1995
sfgadv02

Quote:
Well, there are two new kinds of trains. R142/3s display a printed version of their respective lines with blinking bulbs. The newer R160s have an LCD TV screen and the route is displayed using LEDs, but the entire route is not shown. See pics at >>>http://www.tienmao.com/archives/2005_11.html
I think it's actually better like this because they can actually use these trains on multiple routes instead of just one specific line.

Back to the topic, maybe instead of putting up those big ads, they could add LCD panels like Tokyo. The left LCD would display different ads and service announcement, on the right LCD they could show the main route. Those paper ads could be put where the now stripboards are.
Old September 29th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #1996
cal_t
Transport Advocate

On the Airport express they have LCD panel for information near the doors.
(I'm not talking about the mini LCD screens on the back of the headrests).
Old September 29th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #1997
EricIsHim

Quote:
Good stuff. Never seen that before. How long have these new trains been in service? I haven't been in the City for months now and rarely take A-Line anyways. It's a good step forward for NYC Subway.
Old September 30th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #1998
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
Good stuff. Never seen that before. How long have these new trains been in service? I haven't been in the City for months now and rarely take A-Line anyways. It's a good step forward for NYC Subway.
They started limited testing in 2005 and started adding more trains in 2006/7. Most R160s are on the N and W lines, with additional trains on A, J, M, and Z lines. They're part of a 2,320 car order (about US$2 billion) from Kawasaki and Alstom. They're set to replace stock 40+ yrs old. I agree it is a step into the future for the NYCS, but it's a huge price tag for a decrepit system.

...Anyways back to the MTR!
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #1999
sfgadv02

Quote:
They started limited testing in 2005 and started adding more trains in 2006/7. Most R160s are on the N and W lines, with additional trains on A, J, M, and Z lines. They're part of a 2,320 car order (about US$2 billion) from Kawasaki and Alstom. They're set to replace stock 40+ yrs old. I agree it is a step into the future for the NYCS, but it's a huge price tag for a decrepit system.

...Anyways back to the MTR!
The R160s are only on the N train right now. The W gets the R68 that were on the N. The J/M/Z lines are now testing them, which 2 sets were put into service just last Monday. The R160 are not due on the A until 2010 although they were in service for a few weeks.

Lol, sorry just clarifying some info.

Anyone know when MTR and KCR will merge??
Old October 1st, 2007, 05:46 PM   #2000
Pax Sinica
Rise of SERES

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Anyone know when MTR and KCR will merge??
MTR expects a positive result in the October special meeting.
Pax Sinica no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hongkong, metro