daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:12 AM   #2041
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18161

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
There are also common in other lines as well such as The Tsueng Kwan O Line.
Just the TKO and Island lines. Not any of the others.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:16 AM   #2042
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

BTW, another nice feature is the use of coloured tiles in some of the station. They could have also used that scheme for the HK and Kowloon Stations.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:22 AM   #2043
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18161

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
BTW, another nice feature is the use of coloured tiles in some of the station. They could have also used that scheme for the HK and Kowloon Stations.
Stations along the Tsuen Wan line is being renovated and some have lost the original tile colouring and the walls have been replaced with more sleek boards, somewhat similar to the Island Line.

Although these tiles come in sheets, they're actually very hard to maintain. Examine some public housing estates, and note how many missing pieces are on the facade. The problem won't be as bad in stations since they're not exposed to the elements, but I doubt the MTR will run off to fix a missing tile unless a lot of them fall off.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:25 AM   #2044
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo
I like the calligraphy on the Island line Stations
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
There are also common in other lines as well such as The Tsueng Kwan O Line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Just the TKO and Island lines. Not any of the others.
There's one more, Lam Tin Station.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:42 AM   #2045
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Stations along the Tsuen Wan line is being renovated and some have lost the original tile colouring and the walls have been replaced with more sleek boards, somewhat similar to the Island Line.

Although these tiles come in sheets, they're actually very hard to maintain. Examine some public housing estates, and note how many missing pieces are on the facade. The problem won't be as bad in stations since they're not exposed to the elements, but I doubt the MTR will run off to fix a missing tile unless a lot of them fall off.
Don't forget the Kwun Tong line as well, stations such as Wong Tai Sin and Diamond Hill have gotten partial renovated tiles. Not to mention, they look great!
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:04 AM   #2046
ailiton
Toffy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

Which stations on the Tsuen Wan Line have those boards?
ailiton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:55 PM   #2047
hkth

Gov't Press Release:
Further planning and detailed design for West Island Line

RTHK News:
Govt funding most of West Island MTR line
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #2048
hkth

Gov't Press Release:
LCQ17: Car park adjacent to Sunny Bay MTR Station
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #2049
hkth

Gov't Press Release:
LCQ13: Revised scheme of the Shatin to Central Link
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #2050
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkth View Post
I wonder how many people are actually going to drive to Sunny Bay even when Disney is in full built condition. The park is greatly accessible by public transportation; and you can't drive in HK unless you hold a valid HK driver license meaning tourist won't drive to the park. Unlike in the US, driving on your own is a far more feasible solution to reach the park from the outside world.
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #2051
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

I think Ocean Park will need it since it has much greater visitor volume. But with planned rail and great bus connectivity, probably not...
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #2052
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
I think Ocean Park will need it since it has much greater visitor volume. But with planned rail and great bus connectivity, probably not...
Actually, Ocean Park doesn't have great bus service. There is only one non-franchised route serve the park two entrances from Admiralty on weekday, and only a few regular routes detoured to via Ocean Park Main Entrance during weekend and holiday origin from different part of HK. It's far less accessible compares to Disneyland right now. By constructing a new line to Ocean Park, it will become far more accessible and increase the people flow in and out of the park.

There is an article in the local newspaper today about the proposed eastern loop of South Island Line. The revised plan calls for four stations at South Horizon (Ap Lei Chau West), Ocean Wong Chuk Hang, Ocean Park and Admiralty. It eliminated Lei Tung (Ap Lei Chau East) and Wan Chai from the previous proposal. Happy Valley is out of the game for sure which was debatable to include it or not before.

Without Wan Chai as a second interchange for Island Line, I am afraid it may put too much pressures/passengers in Admiralty. And without Lei Tung, home for near 50k people, it may put too much reverse travelling between Lei Tung and South Horizon on Ap Lei Chau alone causing a bus connection problem. There is definitely a high commuter demand in Lei Tung as existing Central bus runs as frequent as two minutes headway during the morning peak. Of course, Lei Tung will cost more of construction as the community is up on the mountain and the station is going to be down below sea level requiring a long long connection just like West Island Line. Ideally, I will like to see to keep Lei Tung in the plan at the minimal.
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #2053
hkth

HK Gov't Gazette:
Construction of the West Island Line

Construction of New Pedestrian Subway and Entrances for Lai Chi Kok Station
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #2054
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Is it because that the MTR was partly operated by the gov't and based on London's Underground when it was first built so that it has public subways? Or do a lot of other metros have free underground public walkways connecting the nearby area?
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #2055
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
Is it because that the MTR was partly operated by the gov't and based on London's Underground when it was first built so that it has public subways? Or do a lot of other metros have free underground public walkways connecting the nearby area?
All I can say..... definitely not in New York.
You can't even walk from one platform to another without going outside in many stations.
Old October 27th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #2056
petermandelson

Likes (Received): 0

petermandelson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #2057
EricIsHim

Very interesting. It looks like the pictures were taken in a KCR train, does the MTR train use the same map?
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #2058
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

I didn't realize until recently that they are getting rid of the KCR logo, and getting rid of the names (at least in Chinese). I would've preferred they stuck with at least one of the old names.

Maybe something like 香港地下鐵路 (I know its not actually underground, but you can use it as a name).

Also for the logos, I hope they will have one (and not a hideous one, the current logos are lovely)

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #2059
stanleycup

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
I didn't realize until recently that they are getting rid of the KCR logo, and getting rid of the names (at least in Chinese). I would've preferred they stuck with at least one of the old names.

Maybe something like 香港地下鐵路 (I know its not actually underground, but you can use it as a name).

Also for the logos, I hope they will have one (and not a hideous one, the current logos are lovely)
From what I saw online, they're keeping the MTR logo.
stanleycup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #2060
EricIsHim

^ In English, the new railway company is still MTR, stands for Mass Transit Railway which is still a true description of all the railway. But in Chinese, KCR and LRT aren't underground, so you can't say that. In full name, it's only taken "underground" away, but forced to make short form "Kong Railway." The short form does make sense although it sounds awkward. But I think for years, people are still gonna refer KCR as West Rail and East Rail, and MTR as "Underground Railway." It's just a local tradition that can't be taken away easily.

Tags
hongkong, metro