daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #2061
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermandelson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim
Very interesting. It looks like the pictures were taken in a KCR train, does the MTR train use the same map?
Those photos were taken in MTR TRAIN!

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #2062
hkth

RTHK News:
MTR South Island plans to be finalised by year's end
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #2063
hkth

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
^ In English, the new railway company is still MTR, stands for Mass Transit Railway which is still a true description of all the railway. But in Chinese, KCR and LRT aren't underground, so you can't say that. In full name, it's only taken "underground" away, but forced to make short form "Kong Railway." The short form does make sense although it sounds awkward. But I think for years, people are still gonna refer KCR as West Rail and East Rail, and MTR as "Underground Railway." It's just a local tradition that can't be taken away easily.
Very agree with you, many people living close to the East Rail Station still called those stations as "railway station (火車站)" even the name had already changed since 1996, where actually only the Hung Hom Station can still be called as railway station as there are also the through trains and container trains use that station.
Old October 27th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #2064
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

How many tph (trains per hour) are there on each MTR line?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #2065
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkth View Post
Very agree with you, many people living close to the East Rail Station still called those stations as "railway station (火車站)" even the name had already changed since 1996, where actually only the Hung Hom Station can still be called as railway station as there are also the through trains and container trains use that station.
In Chinese, "火車" really means "charcoal powered trains." East Rail / KCR has been electrified since 1983. It would have been more terminology correct to call it "九鐵" (Kowloon Railway) between 1983 - 1996, and East Rail from 1996 on.
For the last 24 years, East Rail is still known as "火車" and it is not gonna change even KCR will officially be gone forever.

But MTR will still be MTR and KCR will still be KCR in the bottom of all HKer's heart.
Old October 27th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #2066
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
I didn't realize until recently that they are getting rid of the KCR logo, and getting rid of the names (at least in Chinese). I would've preferred they stuck with at least one of the old names.
Nevertheless, newer visitors to HK will notice a difference btwn stops of MTR and KCR. MTR stations seem closer to each other than KCR and are styled/designed very, very differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkth View Post
No way...that map is missing all the arrows and LED lights! Unless it is a separate map displayed where the ads usually are and not above the doors.
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #2067
aznichiro115

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
Nevertheless, newer visitors to HK will notice a difference btwn stops of MTR and KCR. MTR stations seem closer to each other than KCR and are styled/designed very, very differently.

No way...that map is missing all the arrows and LED lights! Unless it is a separate map displayed where the ads usually are and not above the doors.
actually it was.......

note the red hand rail and the emergency window sticker.

not the urban trains but rather it was a TCL train, where only the TCL stations are in LCD, and the rest of the system is a sticker
aznichiro115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #2068
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
How many tph (trains per hour) are there on each MTR line?
Can't count it that way; it'd be too much.

The highest interval I've seen is 8 min on the high-speed Tung Chung Line (130 km/h). I've never waited more than 2 minutes for a train on any other line.
Old October 27th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #2069
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Yea, Tung Chung Line takes a while, about 6-8 minutes, that's why Tsing Yi station has a significant number of seats.

Anyhow, during normal (non peak) hours trains come approx. every 2-3 minutes. During rush hours (I avoid, since I dont work, so why go with the crowd) trains come about once a minute.

At night however (12 am) frequency drops to about 5-6 minutes/train.

Additional note is that not all TC Line trains go to TC, some of them stop at Tsing Yi, so if you want to go to TC, it could be up to a 12-15 minute wait

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #2070
iampuking

At peaks, trains can be close together because of long dwell times. It's not what is actually timetabled... E.g. the Central line in London sometimes has trains coming every 30 seconds, but this because of a delay and therefore a backlog of trains. It is timetabled for 30tph which is every 2 minutes.

Isn't there anywhere one could find out the exact amount? The answers have been a bit... well... vague! Thanks anyway!
Old October 28th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #2071
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

During off-peak hour, the Island, Tusen Wan, Kwun Tong and TKO are appro. 3-5 minutes each. Tung Chung, as everyone has said, 6-8 min.

During the peak, it can be as close as 1.5 to 2 minutes per train on all other lines and Tung Chung Line at 4-5 minutes interveral. It is almost the most frequent the train can get to provide a safety gap in between trains. There is seldom any backlog of trains on MTR since it's 100% computerized maximizing the track and platform utilities without human error. No one sits inside the tunnel and waits to move in the platform ahead. It is scheduled to operate that way and is operating that way.

Tung Chung shares track with the Airport Express, so the gap between trains needs to be a little bigger to squeeze the Airport Express train in between. The demand on Tung Chung line is not as much as the other lines, so 4-5 min headway service is working fine. And the Airport Express runs on 12 minutes schedule or 5 trains per hour throughout the day.

So to answer iampuking questions, there are 10-20 trains per hour during the off-peak hours, and as much as 30-40 trains per hour during the peak hour on the MTR depends on which line you are talking about.

Last edited by EricIsHim; October 28th, 2007 at 06:21 AM.
EricIsHim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #2072
hkth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkth
Quote:
Do you know ALL the Tung Chung Line Trains DO NOT have the arrows and LED lights on the maps (expect for the TCL itself)? I'm really certain those were taken in a TCL MTR train. Please view the last photo, man.
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #2073
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Yea, herenthere, you need to take a TCL train a couple times.

I wasn't familiar enough with the Tung Chung Line, and without the arrows, I once rushed into a train before knowing which direction it was headed in, and couldn't tell!

Old October 28th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #2074
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
At peaks, trains can be close together because of long dwell times. It's not what is actually timetabled... E.g. the Central line in London sometimes has trains coming every 30 seconds, but this because of a delay and therefore a backlog of trains. It is timetabled for 30tph which is every 2 minutes.

Isn't there anywhere one could find out the exact amount? The answers have been a bit... well... vague! Thanks anyway!
http://mtr.com.hk/eng/train/benefit.html
http://mtr.com.hk/eng/train/ae_timetable_e.htm

Old October 28th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #2075
iampuking

Thanks for the replies.
Old October 28th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #2076
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Is it because that the MTR was partly operated by the gov't and based on London's Underground when it was first built so that it has public subways? Or do a lot of other metros have free underground public walkways connecting the nearby area?
As far as I know, connections of metro entrances with pedestrian underpasses are common throughout the world but it is less common in old metro stations.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #2077
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
Tung Chung shares track with the Airport Express, so the gap between trains needs to be a little bigger to squeeze the Airport Express train in between. The demand on Tung Chung line is not as much as the other lines, so 4-5 min headway service is working fine. And the Airport Express runs on 12 minutes schedule or 5 trains per hour throughout the day.
I thought TCL and AEL have their own tracks (AEL in btwn TCL). After all, AEL doesn't stop at most TCL stops.

Quote:
Yea, herenthere, you need to take a TCL train a couple times.

I wasn't familiar enough with the Tung Chung Line, and without the arrows, I once rushed into a train before knowing which direction it was headed in, and couldn't tell!
But the thing is TCL doesn't take me where I want to go...Maybe I'll try taking it next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
As far as I know, connections of metro entrances with pedestrian underpasses are common throughout the world but it is less common in old metro stations.
That makes sense.
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #2078
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18161

Tung Chung Line shares tracks with Airport Express in some locations, not all. During rush hour, frequencies range from 2-4 minutes, with some trains going partial-way to Tsing Yi.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #2079
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

The tracks at the station are split for sure, if you go on the TC Line you can tell easily

Old October 29th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #2080
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18161

Quote:
The tracks at the station are split for sure, if you go on the TC Line you can tell easily
Definitely at Olympic and Nam Cheong. Then there is a connection and there was an incident whereby the switch was incorrectly made and a Tung Chung Line train wounded up on the Airport Express platform.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hongkong, metro