daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #2181
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
I agree, but this is usually the procedure in HK. Many people are held to very high standards, and it is usually standard procedure to suspend the driver pending a complete investigation.

It's not a surprise to those in HK
Well, were it me I'd definitely want to investigate and of course I would not have the driver operating any trains for a while...

but I wouldnt call it a suspension...the term "reassignment" would be more appropriate. The term "suspension" is harsh and sets the blame onto the driver.

HK has a great system and they have managed to organize public transportation very well. I recall when I was in HK in July/01, the #8 warning was lifted but I didnt realize how bad things were going to be.

I dropped off my lady friend in Ma On Shan and we spent lots of time chatting outside, then when I tried to make my way home there were no buses. I ended up walking to the KCR train line...in what I thought was a very light drizzle...but when I got to the Sha Tin Canal then I realized how much rain had been dropped...the water was up to the level of the bridges...

Anyways I took the KCR and MTR back to the island. About 5 minutes after I got to my hall, the skies opened up!

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #2182
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I wonder what will happen if the entire Metro network just broke down for one hour during rush hour. That happened in Vancouver and all our automated trains just sat there for an hour and a half because of a huge computer glitch. And there wasn't a big fuss about it.

I really want to see that happen (sorry to say) and see the results of it =) XD *wink*
It's a little different. The Vancouver SkyTrain is fully automated with no driver on board. A crack down on the computer is the same as system shut down.

The MTR is automated, but it's also possible to run the train manually (except Disney Line). A crack down of the control system doesn't necessary mean a complete shut down on the rail system. MTR can run the trains manually and increase the gap between services for safety. It won't be as efficient as ran by computer, but still capable to provide limited services.

I agree that we, HKers, are just so spoiled about the high standard and quality transit services we have. A small thing can mean nothing to other cities, but a big deal here. But the superb class services are also a HK proud that can't be found anywhere else.
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #2183
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
I agree the punishment is a little over the top, but for someone with 17 yrs experience, he should know better. Besides, I thought MTR trains had ATO, or is that for new A and K-stock only?
As far as I know, all the trains are ATO. The doors open on there own upon arrival at each platform and lined up with the screen door. The driver is responsible to close the door only, because the boarding and unboarding time varies from train to train. If he saw nobody was boarding and unboarding on the CCTV screen assuming everyone had got on and off the train, then pushed that "door close" button and continued the journey without realized the doors had never been opened.
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #2184
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
It's a little different. The Vancouver SkyTrain is fully automated with no driver on board. A crack down on the computer is the same as system shut down.

The MTR is automated, but it's also possible to run the train manually (except Disney Line). A crack down of the control system doesn't necessary mean a complete shut down on the rail system. MTR can run the trains manually and increase the gap between services for safety. It won't be as efficient as ran by computer, but still capable to provide limited services.

I agree that we, HKers, are just so spoiled about the high standard and quality transit services we have. A small thing can mean nothing to other cities, but a big deal here. But the superb class services are also a HK proud that can't be found anywhere else.
Well I know that the two systems are completely different. I was just wondering what will happen if the MTR brokedown completely. But you brought up a good point: at least it can still be functional as there are drivers that can manually drive the trains.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #2185
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
I was there as well . Luckily I didn't have to take the MTR (took the bus) and as I got off work quite early, I was able to avoid most of the rush. In any case, a T8 is a rare occurance. The MTR was closing some of the entrances to some stations... really not much you can do when the entire working population + are rushing onto transit at the same time. Any other metro in the world would also have this type of overcrowding.

But of course you had some people who complained about poor crowd control on the part of MTR....
A T8 isn't something rare actually. It occurs typically a few times a year, but they are usually raised with hours of warning in advance which allow workers to go home in different hours and let the transportation providers to prepare. This T8 happened earlier this year was a surprise came back of a earlier typhoon. From the time the observatory issued the T8 warning to its actually being raised, it was less than an hour, less than the usual amount of time. Everyone rushed out of the office to go home. We're talking about probably millions of people moving around the city in an hour. No matter how good the system is, there is just no way to handle the flood of people at once.
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #2186
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Actually, we've only had 1 T8 this year, and there were none last year. Wonder where did all the storms go?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #2187
hkskyline
Hong Kong

MTR plans extra concessions for commuters in remote areas
13 December 2007
South China Morning Post

Railway commuters in remote areas will soon be able to enjoy extra concessions on top of the fare cuts introduced this month as a result of the rail merger.

The fare saver - a device that offers HK$2 discounts to commuters who are willing to walk some distance to take the MTR - will be extended to cover the West Rail and East Rail lines. The two lines were absorbed by the MTR Corporation following the merger that saw it take over the Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation's rail operations.

MTR general manager for marketing and station business Jeny Yeung Mei-chun said the company was searching for possible locations where the devices could be installed, but in time that would happen, she said.

The MTR Corp's move is expected to increase the competitive pressure on other public transport operators, as the device is meant to attract passengers some distance away from the railway stations who may otherwise not take the MTR without the HK$2 fare discount.

Meanwhile, MTR also revealed that it plans to expand its Wi-fi network to cover all stations along the Airport Express. It would also expand Wi-fi access on the MTR to other carriers besides PCCW.

At present, only PCCW users can access Wi-fi services at the MTR stations such as Tsim Sha Tsui, Mong Kok and all 14 Island line stations.

"Not only will we develop more IT partners, but we are also exploring the possibilities to extend Wi-fi services into train carriages and some West Rail stations," Ms Yeung said.

The Wi-fi expansion scheme is part of a HK$30 million investment to extending the scope of e-service to rail lines previously under the KCRC.

That includes the installation of e-instant bonus terminals - a device where registered MTR passengers can download online games, songs and other discount coupons with points they collected from trips in five stations along West Rail, East Rail and the Ma On Shan extension. Seven more will be introduced into the system next year, but the locations were yet to be determined.

The number of stations with computers will also be doubled from seven to 14 within the coming two months.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old December 13th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #2188
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Actually, we've only had 1 T8 this year, and there were none last year. Wonder where did all the storms go?
I think the number of tropical storms and typhoons were actually higher than average in the past few years with the warmer water and air temperature out in the South China Sea and Pacific. But they just don't go anywhere near PRD, either way north or way south. I don't know is that 100% true, I'll have to do some researches to confirm my thought.

Maybe the pollutants are doing something keeping the typhoon out of PRD. Who knows what the pollutants are doing to the storms.
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #2189
EricIsHim

Hong Kong's MTR Corp Nov passengers 76.36 mln vs 77.01 mln in October
December 17, 2007: 05:46 AM EST

Dec. 17, 2007 (Thomson Financial delivered by Newstex) --

HONG KONG (XFN-ASIA) - MTR Corp Ltd said it carried 76.36 mln passengers in November, down from 77.01 mln in October.

On the average weekday, MTR Corp carried 2.665 mln passengers in November, compared with an average of 2.664 mln during the preceding month, according to data published on the company's website.

The passenger traffic figures cover the subway system's Tsuen Wan, Island, Kwun Tong, Tung Chung, Tseung Kwan O and Disneyland (NYSECQ) (NYSEIS) Resort lines.

Meanwhile, its Airport Express operations reported a total of 862,000 passengers in November, against 984,000 recorded in the previous month.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the national holiday in the beginning of October did bring some extra amount of passengers to the system.
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #2190
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Can someone close this thread or merge it with the "Kong Tiet" MTR subway thread please?
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #2191
hkskyline
Hong Kong

This thread should close actually, since there are over 500 posts.

Old December 19th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #2192
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Nod for rail line, but stops up in air Exco split on Happy Valley station
19 December 2007
South China Morning Post

The Executive Council has given approval for the long-awaited South Island (East) railway line but members remain divided over whether it should include a station at Happy Valley, sources say.

Sources close to the council and the government said the Executive Council had adopted the shortest of three route options proposed by the MTR Corporation.

That option has three stations between Admiralty and South Horizons in Ap Lei Chau, excluding Happy Valley and Wan Chai.

However, some members suggested the MTR should further study the option of including Happy Valley, following the example of the East Rail's Racecourse station, which serves the Sha Tin course.

There has been a persistent clamour for a station at Happy Valley to ease traffic congestion in the area, especially on race days, and a district councillor yesterday foreshadowed protests if it was excluded.

One source said development rights for part of the Wong Chuk Hang station site - previously estimated to be worth more than HK$44 billion - would be granted to the MTR to pay for construction of the line. The same source said the Transport and Housing Bureau would announce the decision today.

Chief Executive Donald Tsang Yam-kuen said in his policy address that the line, expected to enter service no later than 2015, would cost taxpayers about HK$7 billion.

The MTR Corp submitted three options for the line to the government in 2005. The cheapest and shortest one comprises Admiralty, Ocean Park, Wong Chuk Hang, Lei Tung and South Horizons.

The most expensive includes Wan Chai and Happy Valley in the network and the other omits Wan Chai.

Legislative Council documents at the time suggested the two stations would each add HK$1 billion to the cost.

Wan Chai district councillor Stephen Ng Kam-chun said members would protest vigorously if the Happy Valley station was excluded.

"How many years have we been expressing our needs? If the government simply ignores us we will be very disappointed," he said.

A proposal the council submitted to the MTR Corp two years ago suggested the station concourse be built directly beneath the racecourse, with three exits, one at the junction of Blue Pool Road and Wong Nai Chung Gap Road, one at Shing Wo Road and one at the Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital.

Mr Ng said traffic congestion on Friday and Saturday evenings and the nights with horse racing was becoming more and more intolerable. "A trip between Happy Valley and Causeway Bay could take more than 30 minutes in those busy hours."

The councillor said 86 per cent of more than 800 Happy Valley residents polled said they hoped the railway would serve their district.

But he admitted not everyone in the area agreed.

Affluent residents of the upper slopes have not been keen on the idea, fearing the railway will disturb their pleasant environment.

Southern District councillor Chai Man-hon said he had no objection to Happy Valley being included provided the discussion did not cause too much delay.

Old December 19th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #2193
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Press Releases from the HKSAR Gov't and MTR:
MTR to start preliminary planning and design of South Island Line (East)

South Island Line (East) to proceed

MTR Corporation welcomes Government's decision on South Island Line (East)
Old December 20th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #2194
Epi

Likes (Received): 77

Well at least the MTR CEO didn't have to step down, with the driver committing suicide like they would in Japan.

We get major delays and problems at least once a week in Toronto, I guess we're just used to it here.
Epi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #2195
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Jockey club may fund MTR stop near racetrack
Hong Kong Standard
Thursday, December 20, 2007

The HK$7-billion MTR Corporation (0066) South Island Line may include a stop at the Happy Valley racecourse for the convenience of punters, a senior government official said yesterday.

The additional stop, which will cost HK$1.3 billion, will be funded by the Hong Kong Jockey Club and should not cause any delay to the construction of the seven-kilometer line, Secretary for Transport and Housing Eva Cheng Yu- wah said. Construction is set to begin in 2011 with completion targeted for 2015.

If the new stop is approved, it will take South Horizons residents only 2 minutes to get to the racecourse.

The stop will be in addition to those already proposed at Admiralty, Ocean Park, Wong Chuk Hang, Lei Tung and South Horizons.

The racetrack stop was not on the original plan, but was considered after the club suggested it would greatly ease raceday traffic.

The MTRC is expected to reach an agreement with the Jockey Club in six months regarding the proposed station.

In a statement, the club said a stop at the racecourse, in addition to those at Ocean Park and the Aberdeen waterfront, would help boost tourist traffic.

However, it said it would have to carefully consider the proposal.

The Executive Council on Tuesday gave the MTRC the green light to proceed with the preliminary design of the South Island Line.

MTR chief executive Chow Chung- kong said it is not clear yet if the additional racecourse station would only be used on race days or will operate throughout the year.

A previously-proposed Happy Valley station was dropped from the plan due to geological issues and opposition from residents in the area.

A stop at Wan Chai was also cast aside due to inconvenience in transferring to other lines.

According to projections, the medium capacity railway is expected to carry a daily load of 170,000 passengers by 2020. Chow said it will relieve traffic congestion in the Southern District and alleviate jams at Aberdeen Tunnel, Causeway Bay and the Cross Harbour Tunnel.

When completed, Ocean Park will be merely four minutes away from Admiralty and 10 minutes from Tsim Sha Tsui, trips which currently take 25 to 45 minutes by bus.

The speedy ride may also boost redevelopment in Island South, attracting tourists to the district where attractions such as a Fisherman's Wharf have been proposed.

"The link will inject a new economic drive into Southern district," Cheng said.

The railway extension topped the list of 10 major infrastructure projects set out in the chief executive's policy address in October. The transport bureau has said the plan will not be financially viable and would require the "rail plus property" model used by the MTRC to bridge the funding gap. Cheng would not comment on the funding deficit yesterday, but said estimates could only be drawn up after the preliminary design is complete.

Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:34 AM   #2196
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Finally a way to get to Ocean Park quickly and relatively cheaply, and most importantly, easily!

I find myself using the MTR more than anything else when I'm in HK.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 05:03 AM   #2197
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Old December 24th, 2007, 04:12 AM   #2198
hkskyline
Hong Kong

MTR urged to speed up South Island line project
Hong Kong Standard
Monday, December 24, 2007

South island residents yesterday urged the speedy construction of the much delayed South Island line (East) and aired fears the lengthy discussion on an extra stop at the Happy Valley racecourse could slow progress.

Critics also voiced concerns at the possible unfair financial advantage the MTR Corporation (0066) could get by way of property development rights at two sites in Aberdeen.

At RTHK's City Forum yesterday, residents from Southern District called for the speedy construction of the railway to ease traffic congestion in Island South.

The HK$7 billion, seven-kilometer- long railway will run from Admiralty, via Ocean Park, Wong Chuk Hang and Lei Tung to South Horizons in Ap Lei Chau. Work is set to begin in 2011 with the line becoming operational in 2015.

Legco transport panel chairman Andrew Cheng Kar-foo said the 2015 deadline is a far cry from the scheduled date of 2008 when the South Island line was first mooted in the Railway Development Strategy report in 2000.

A proposed Happy Valley stop was scrapped as projections indicated a population of just 19,000 in the area. Instead, the Hong Kong Jockey Club proposed a stop at the racecourse.

However, Happy Valley residents pleaded for the stop to be reconsidered as the daily traffic jams during peak hours extended their journeys to nearby Wan Chai to around 50 minutes.

Southern district councillor Lam Kai-fai feared the debate over whether to build a stop at Happy Valley for residents or at the racecourse would further delay the project.

In reply, MTRC external affairs and government relations manager Maggie So Man-Kit said that, while the railway understood the needs of residents, the initial planning and design works would take at least three years.

Meanwhile, critics feared the land premium to be paid by the company to the government would be far less than what the site's value would be after the line was operational.

Cheng said the government should be careful in the funding of such projects, especially as the MTRC is a listed company. The government is expected to grant the MTRC property development rights to land in Wong Chuk Hang and Ocean Park, which is estimated at more than HK$30 billion.

The MTRC said that, after paying the land premium, the property sales profits would be split with developers and injected back into railway development.

Old December 26th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #2199
Aboveday

Likes (Received): 11

MTR South Island line project

Aboveday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #2200
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Found 2 videos of the new announcements.

New announcement for Kowloon Tong.
I'm still not used to the new name for the line. I think it sounds better before when it was "KCR East Rail".

New announcement for Mong Kok East.

Tags
hongkong, metro