daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #2361
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
I'm not sure if Australian rail workers will live up to the employee standards that the MTR requires...
Ouch.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #2362
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I have to agree. In every capital I've been to, rail employees tend to be absolutely.... well, useless.
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #2363
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

MTR Press Release:
Light Rail Marks 20 years of Service With Vehicle Modernisation Programme
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #2364
Scion

Likes (Received): 4635

LOL! Look at them trying to squeeze the entire network's map in that little space above the doors

Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #2365
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

I love it!

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #2366
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Likes (Received): 10

it really is confusing... at least us not from hk... i figure where is what after 5 mins lol
DJZG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #2367
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18161

That's not the actual map. Some lines haven't been built, and the LRT isn't shown in subway cars at all.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #2368
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I have to agree. In every capital I've been to, rail employees tend to be absolutely.... well, useless.
Well, if Singapore's MRT wins the contract, maybe underperforming workers will get a good public caning.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #2369
bs_lover_boy
POUND THE ALARM!!!

Likes (Received): 12

[QUOTE=Scion;22393212]LOL! Look at them trying to squeeze the entire network's map in that little space above the doors

[QUOTE]

How were you able to find the map that I did 4 years ago??? I only recall sending this map to ONE webmaster Now I think I should make a newer one that reflects the current plans!!!! And yes, I was testing how the map should look with the entire network. I remember that it was even BEFORE the merger talks started!!!!
LULU – Locally Unwanted Land Use.
NOPE – Not On Planet Earth
BANANA – Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything

Anymore????
bs_lover_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #2370
Scion

Likes (Received): 4635

You did a great job BLB! I thought it was impossible to fit the entire network's map onto that space, but you managed to do it.

I actually drawn out a network map too, but it's done by hand, and not as good, and I intended it to be place onto the windows in the MTR cars...
Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #2371
Lightness
En travesti

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Well, if Singapore's MRT wins the contract, maybe underperforming workers will get a good public caning.
Like they bloody should have too!

George Jean Nathan
Lightness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #2372
hkskyline
Hong Kong

MTR Corp renovates half its fleet
9 July 2008
South China Morning Post

The MTR Corporation is spending HK$90 million to make trains easier for disabled passengers, and more environmentally friendly. The improvements cover more than half its fleet, and will be finished in 2011.

Passengers will get an idea next year of the improvements when the MTR Corp brings into service 22 new trains with the same interior design, fittings and facilities as are being added to older units. The new trains are being introduced to cope with the increase in passengers expected when the Kowloon Southern Link, which joins up the East Rail and West Rail lines, starts operating.

The new trains and the 69 being renovated will feature wheelchair bays. Poles, screen doors and areas near train doors will be brightly coloured to help the visually impaired.

Poles and handles will be repositioned to make more room for passengers and to make it easier to get on and off trains. Backward-facing seats will be turned around so they face the direction of travel.

The renovated trains will be fitted with new generators to make them more energy-efficient. The generators would be quieter and more reliable, a spokeswoman said.

The trains will get a new interior and exterior colour scheme, with white, green and purple replacing silver, red and blue.

"The interior of the modernised Light Rail vehicles will have a lighter and more relaxed feel with the use of softer lines," said MTR chief architect Wilfred Yeung Si-wai.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old July 14th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #2373
pookgai

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
MTR Corp renovates half its fleet
9 July 2008
South China Morning Post

The MTR Corporation is spending HK$90 million to make trains easier for disabled passengers, and more environmentally friendly. The improvements cover more than half its fleet, and will be finished in 2011.

Passengers will get an idea next year of the improvements when the MTR Corp brings into service 22 new trains with the same interior design, fittings and facilities as are being added to older units. The new trains are being introduced to cope with the increase in passengers expected when the Kowloon Southern Link, which joins up the East Rail and West Rail lines, starts operating.

The new trains and the 69 being renovated will feature wheelchair bays. Poles, screen doors and areas near train doors will be brightly coloured to help the visually impaired.

Poles and handles will be repositioned to make more room for passengers and to make it easier to get on and off trains. Backward-facing seats will be turned around so they face the direction of travel.

The renovated trains will be fitted with new generators to make them more energy-efficient. The generators would be quieter and more reliable, a spokeswoman said.

The trains will get a new interior and exterior colour scheme, with white, green and purple replacing silver, red and blue.

"The interior of the modernised Light Rail vehicles will have a lighter and more relaxed feel with the use of softer lines," said MTR chief architect Wilfred Yeung Si-wai.
Thanks for the info as always hkskyline. Do you know which line this is referring to? Wasn't quite sure as it mentioned the KSL and then 'light rail'.
pookgai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #2374
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookgai View Post
Thanks for the info as always hkskyline. Do you know which line this is referring to? Wasn't quite sure as it mentioned the KSL and then 'light rail'.
LRT.

KSL is an extension of West Rail, and uses perpendicular seating.
Only the light rail still has backward-facing seats in the fleet these days which will be eliminated during the renovation according to the article.
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #2375
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Wedding Card Street in line for $100m MTR exit
Hong Kong Standard
Monday, July 14, 2008

An extra MTR exit costing HK$100 million will be built in Wan Chai's Lee Tung Street to provide access to Wedding City arcade, Urban Renewal Authority chief executive Quinn Law Yee-kwan said.

Law told The Standard the authority and the MTR Corp have discussed building a tunnel near the Southorn Playground area in Johnston Road for a new exit at Lee Tung Street, also known as Wedding Card Street. It will take three to four years to build.

Since the tunnel will be short, no shops are planned. The exact location of the exit is still unknown but it will be near Lee Tung Street. Law does not foresee any technical problems in building the tunnel and exit.

The authority will revitalize the Lee Tung Street-McGregor Street area, envisaging about 100,000 square feet for commercial use and 40,000 sq ft for the wedding arcade, as well as about 100 parking spaces. Law said pedestrians from Queen's Road East will pass through Wedding Card Street for the shortest route to the MTR.

The project will invite bidders in the first quarter of next year. It is believed Hopewell, which has its headquarters on Queen's Road East, and Swire, which has offices at Pacific Place in Admiralty, may be interested in the project that is expected to be completed in 2011.

The authority has completed some projects in the area, such as the Pawn Shop and JResidence, which now carries a price tag of about HK$7,000 per sq ft.

Meanwhile, Law insisted the landmark building at the Kwun Tong Town Centr
e Project will still be 280 meters high, even though the Town Planning Board has said the commercial-hotel building is too high.

Law said the building is not that high when compared to International Financial Centre 2, which stands at 300m, and International Commerce Centre at 400m.

Air flow, Law added, is not an issue because it will not be built along the coastal area.

As it is a landmark building, it has to be high enough to be seen even from Hong Kong Island, Law said.

He said most Kwun Tong District Council members supported the proposed height, with some even asking that it be made higher.

He added the Kwun Tong Town Centre Project, the authority's largest undertaking, will be developed in four phases over 12 years.

Law said the project, estimated to cost HK$30 billion, covers 570,000 sqft, affecting about 1,656 property interests and 5,000 people.

The authority, Law added, has a net asset value of HK$14.4 billion with HK$10 billion in cash.

"We are financially sound but we may need to spend HK$30 billion in the coming five years and may need to borrow from the banks," he said.

But the authority will not issue bonds under the current low interest rate environment.

The government in 2002 injected HK$10 billion into the authority.

Old July 17th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #2376
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

MTR Press Release:
MTR Student Fare Concessions To Be Available Network-wide In New Promotion Offer
Old July 20th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #2377
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Airport Express

Old July 20th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #2378
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Is this the baggage car?
Old July 20th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #2379
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote: