daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #2401
bs_lover_boy
POUND THE ALARM!!!

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Underground plea on South Island Line
3 September 2008
Hong Kong Standard

Those living on nine estates in Southern District are calling for the proposed South Island Line to be put underground, claiming an elevated railway will ruin the beautiful coastline, generate noise and interfere with tourism projects.

``Although there have been minor disagreements, residents from nine major housing estates agree in principle that the entire line be put underground,'' Nelson Yeung Wai-ki, the coordinator of the alliance of estate residents, said yesterday.

Yeung said estate representatives have yet to receive replies from letters posted to the MTR Corp and Secretary for Transport and Housing Eva Cheng Yu-wah.

But with the second round of public consultations due to start on September 12, Yeung said the community is preparing protests and other actions if their recommendations are not accepted.

Southern district councillor and chairman of the traffic and transport committee, Leung Ho-kwan, said the concerns over noise and vibration are of vital importance to residents, many of whom purchased their flats before the line was proposed.

Although there are no official figures, it is estimated that the call by Southern residents may add HK$2 billion to the project's HK$7 billion price tag.

Interesting!!!! It is the same people that wanted the line to be completed by 2009, but now they are protesting and halting the design of the line. It seems like that whenever Hong Kong residents think of "Dei Teet" (Chinese pronounciation for MTR meaning "the Underground") the entire network will be underground.

Seriously, Hong Kong now is overpopulated by Social Advocates and NIMBYs that are manipulating the minds of ordinary citizens.

Greater Hong Kong-Style "democratic" movements = impedement of progression (economics, social, political)
LULU – Locally Unwanted Land Use.
NOPE – Not On Planet Earth
BANANA – Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything

Anymore????
bs_lover_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #2402
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Old September 10th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #2403
Scion

Likes (Received): 4648

haha

This is a similar video, showing how to make the most out of your commute time

Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #2404
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Why do I never come across these ladies changing?!

On a more serious note, I wonder if you can get into trouble for that.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #2405
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

MTR offers easier rides with fare cuts
Hong Kong Standard
Thursday, September 11, 2008

MTR passengers will be able to enjoy fare reductions of up to HK$9 from September 28, rail system bosses said yesterday.

When the KCR and MTR networks merged last December, Octopus card holders were handed fare reductions that were often not available to single journey commuters when passing through an interchange station joining the two rail systems.

However, MTR Corp head of operations Wilfred Lau Cheuk-man said integrated single-journey ticket automatic fare collection will be implemented soon.

The interchange ticketing gates at Kowloon Tong, Mei Foo and Nam Cheong stations will be removed by December to bring about seamless travel within the entire MTR network.

This month the MTRC will remove turnstiles at the three stations, allowing travelers to move freely between lines and eliminating the need to swipe cards or insert tickets an additional time.

Customer service ambassadors will be present during the trial phase to assist those getting used to the new system.

Passengers will notice a price reduction of HK$9, or 35.3 percent of the original fare, when they travel from Tin Shui Wai to Sha Tin.

A journey from Ma On Shan to Yau Ma Tei will see a HK$4, or 26.7 percent, reduction.

Students with specially coded Octopus cards will also benefit from fare reductions across the board when they travel on most MTR lines, Light Rail, or MTR buses in September.

Concessions will be up to 50 percent of regular fares.

For cash-strapped youngsters who now have to recharge their student status Octopus cards at HK$50 a time, the MTRC will also introduce an add- value amount of HK$10 at their customer service centers.

Tsim Sha Tsui and East Tsim Sha Tsui stations will not see any changes throughout the process because they are not considered direct interchange stations

Single-journey travelers will still have to exit one station and purchase a separate ticket at the other in order to switch between the two lines.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #2406
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
On a more serious note, I wonder if you can get into trouble for that.
Yes, you can get arrested, fined and even be jailed.
Old September 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #2407
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

MTR Corp insists on viaduct, not tunnel, for South Island Line
13 September 2008
South China Morning Post

The MTR Corporation is determined to build a viaduct for the eastern section of its new South Island Line despite residents' concerns about noise and views.

The rail company yesterday ruled out the possibility of a tunnel to link Aberdeen Tunnel toll plaza with Ap Lei Chau, which was proposed by residents in the first round of public consultation to minimise the project's impact.

Senior co-ordinating engineer Tang Pak-hung said at a Southern District Council meeting that a tunnel was "technically unfeasible" as part of it would have to go as deep as 60 to 80 metres underground at some points because of rock at some sites.

In addition, more land would be needed to build ventilation facilities and flood-proof water gates, he said. "After comparing several plans, we tend to adopt the idea of a viaduct," Mr Tang told the district councillors.

Some councillors expressed concern about train noise and degradation of views from a giant viaduct. "Many residents along the South Island Line had hoped for a tunnel. I must say we are very disappointed with the company's opting for a viaduct," district councillor Ronald Chan Ngok-pang said.

The MTR Corp said it would adopt various measures to minimise the impact, including using the latest type of trains, rubber-inlaid tracks and soundproof screens.

During the meeting, the company also revealed the latest changes to some of the exit locations along the eastern part of the South Island Line, which will link Admiralty and Ap Lei Chau. It proposed an exit at Tung Ping House in Lei Tung Estate to replace the original planned exit at Yue On Court.

It suggested that both exits at South Horizons be moved to Yi Nam Road and a footbridge from Ap Lei Chau Estate to the station be built for pedestrians.

A traffic hub is proposed for Wong Chuk Hang station, which would be an interchange for the east and west sections of the South Island Line.

To cross Aberdeen Harbour, a rail bridge will be constructed alongside the Ap Lei Chau road bridge.

"It can be either a bridge with a similar style to the one next to it, or a totally different one that will serve as a landmark," Mr Tang said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #2408
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Will viaduct include noise barrier?
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #2409
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgadv02 View Post
Will viaduct include noise barrier?
If there is, it won't be the whole length, just where it is directly next to residential, which I don't see any except those near Shousan Hill between Aberdeen Tunnel and Ocean Park. Wong Chuk Hang is going to be under the new above station development and only next to commercial buildings; the two Ap Lei Chau stations are underground.
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #2410
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Likes (Received): 10

for me, not being from hk... can someone draw some map with that south island line...
and draw which sections will be on viaduct so i can check it on GE....
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #2411
StanleyJ

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJZG View Post
for me, not being from hk... can someone draw some map with that south island line...

From http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/projects/f..._sil_east.html

Still think the usage of Admiralty as a "super-interchange" (Island Line, Tsuen Wan Line, North-South Line (existing East Rail Line post Shatin-Central Link) plus South Island (Eastern section) Line is just suicidal.

Those going from Wan Chai or Causeway Bay to Kowloon peninsular will still have to use the old Island Line/Tsuen Wan Line combo... less then happen to be far north enough to use the Exhibition Station (in Wan Chai North @ HKCEC) or Causeway Bay North (probably cancelled for good as it would be where the typhoon shelter & Noon-Day gun currently is).

The platform layout of Wan Chai & Causeway Bay could very well accommodate a cross platform interchange for a rubber-tired medium capacity metro line, with a further interchange at Exhibition. This would link up the "northern" coastal part of the island better with the existing "southern" "pre"-reclamation Island Line, without trying to cram even more passengers through an extremely cramped Admiralty/Central area.

Won't even get started with how insane it'd be if the urban lines (Island, Tsuen Wan & Kwun Tong) were further upgraded from 8 cars (previously 7, many many years ago) to 10 or even 12!
StanleyJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #2412
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJZG View Post
You can also find out more information at:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=229553
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #2413
sfgadv02

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJ
Won't even get started with how insane it'd be if the urban lines (Island, Tsuen Wan & Kwun Tong) were further upgraded from 8 cars (previously 7, many many years ago) to 10 or even 12!
They will have to expand the station first.
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #2414
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
MTR offers easier rides with fare cuts
Hong Kong Standard
Thursday, September 11, 2008

MTR passengers will be able to enjoy fare reductions of up to HK$9 from September 28, rail system bosses said yesterday.

When the KCR and MTR networks merged last December, Octopus card holders were handed fare reductions that were often not available to single journey commuters when passing through an interchange station joining the two rail systems.

However, MTR Corp head of operations Wilfred Lau Cheuk-man said integrated single-journey ticket automatic fare collection will be implemented soon.

The interchange ticketing gates at Kowloon Tong, Mei Foo and Nam Cheong stations will be removed by December to bring about seamless travel within the entire MTR network.

This month the MTRC will remove turnstiles at the three stations, allowing travelers to move freely between lines and eliminating the need to swipe cards or insert tickets an additional time.

Customer service ambassadors will be present during the trial phase to assist those getting used to the new system.

Passengers will notice a price reduction of HK$9, or 35.3 percent of the original fare, when they travel from Tin Shui Wai to Sha Tin.

A journey from Ma On Shan to Yau Ma Tei will see a HK$4, or 26.7 percent, reduction.

Students with specially coded Octopus cards will also benefit from fare reductions across the board when they travel on most MTR lines, Light Rail, or MTR buses in September.

Concessions will be up to 50 percent of regular fares.

For cash-strapped youngsters who now have to recharge their student status Octopus cards at HK$50 a time, the MTRC will also introduce an add- value amount of HK$10 at their customer service centers.

Tsim Sha Tsui and East Tsim Sha Tsui stations will not see any changes throughout the process because they are not considered direct interchange stations

Single-journey travelers will still have to exit one station and purchase a separate ticket at the other in order to switch between the two lines.
Detailed Offical Press Release:
Early Introduction of Reduced Single Journey Interchange Fares When Barrier-free Travel Trial Starts on 28 September
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #2415
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

MTR Press Release:
West Rail Tsuen Wan West Station TW7 Property Development Tender Award
Old September 18th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #2416
EricIsHim

Quote:
They will have to expand the station first.
The SIL, NIL and SCL stations will be under the existing Harcourt Garden expanding the existing Admiralty stations. It will be a lot bigger in square footage for sure, somewhat similar to Central with Hong Kong Station added on.

It is just going to have a lot of movements among platform to platform.
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #2417
sfgadv02

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
The SIL, NIL and SCL stations will be under the existing Harcourt Garden expanding the existing Admiralty stations. It will be a lot bigger in square footage for sure, somewhat similar to Central with Hong Kong Station added on.

It is just going to have a lot of movements among platform to platform.
I was referring to the idea of adding extra cars to trains, though.
Old September 19th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #2418
EricIsHim

Quote:
I was referring to the idea of adding extra cars to trains, though.
I didn't read the quote part.

But ye, it's just a mission impossible.
It's not like Ma On Shan Line which is only using a reduced number of carriages on each train.
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:13 AM   #2419
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
Yes, you can get arrested, fined and even be jailed.
Unfortunately, neither of them got busted for it. And those who do these kinds of acts aren't even local HKers but the "gweijais"

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #2420
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Unfortunately, neither of them got busted for it. And those who do these kinds of acts aren't even local HKers but the "gweijais"
Well.... there isn't routine police patrol on the train. there isn't camera on the train either. a typical hker would have just walked away from the scene and not brother to call the train operator or the station staff. so it's hard to catch them on the scene even if it happens.

Tags
hongkong, metro