daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #2421
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18161

I've seen cameras on the new "KCR" trains. They're right by the door.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #2422
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
Well.... there isn't routine police patrol on the train. there isn't camera on the train either. a typical hker would have just walked away from the scene and not brother to call the train operator or the station staff. so it's hard to catch them on the scene even if it happens.
Unless the cops are plain-clothed. And most HKers would care that much with their gimmicks unless they are concerned citizens.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #2423
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I don't think we should confront criminals. We should leave that job to the police. We can snap a picture of them with our cameras to help as evidence though.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #2424
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

I think most people would be content just watching, unless they happen to be very conservative parents who want to block their children from seeing it.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 04:44 AM   #2425
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
Well.... there isn't routine police patrol on the train. there isn't camera on the train either. a typical hker would have just walked away from the scene and not brother to call the train operator or the station staff. so it's hard to catch them on the scene even if it happens.
Aren't they testing CCTV on MTR trains??
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:13 PM   #2426
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Screen doors at stations help reduce suicides
Fewer people jumping in front of trains, study shows

21 September 2008
South China Morning Post

Suicides on Hong Kong's railway lines have declined by more than half since platform screen doors were installed at MTR stations, an expert study has found.

The number of people jumping to their deaths in front of trains annually has dropped from 10.2 to 4.4 in the five years since the barriers began to be put up across the station network. Platform screen doors should now be installed at all MTR stations "without any delay", said the University of Hong Kong academics who carried out the survey.

However, the MTR Corporation responded that it would take four more years to complete the fitting of the barriers at remaining stations and indicated it had no intention to speed up or expand the project.

Passengers using Octopus cards have been charged an extra 10 cents a ticket since 2000 to pay for the scheme. Eight above-ground MTR stations and former KCR stations along the East Line still have no platform screen doors.

The remaining work was taking more time to avoid night-time noise, the MTR Corp said last month after an inquest jury called for safety improvements following the death of a 75-year-old Alzheimer's patient who wandered onto the Island Line.

Paul Yip Siu-fai, director of the university's Suicide Research and Prevention Centre and co-author of the study into railway suicides, said the findings should add urgency to the work of installing the screen doors.

"These barriers need to be installed as soon as feasible," he said. "Noise at night should not be an issue. Residents will be tolerant because the work is being done to stop accidents and save lives.

"It is us, the passengers, who are paying for the safety doors, and tens of millions of dollars have already been collected since the surcharge was imposed. We think the work should therefore be done as quickly as possible. Our message is: 'Please just do it'."

The study, to be published in an international journal, found that the barriers were particularly effective in deterring psychotic patients from suicide as their decision to jump in front of a train was often sudden and impulsive.

It also found no evidence of them attempting an alternative method of suicide after the "effective and lethal" option of railway suicides was removed, meaning lives were saved in real terms.

"Some suicide attempts by psychotic patients are very impulsive and they may not be fully aware of the consequences," Dr Yip said. "These safety barriers stop them killing themselves and help this vulnerable group in the community."

The MTR Corp refused to co-operate with the study, declining to release data to the university on suicide rates at railway stations on privacy grounds until forced to do so by the Ombudsman.

Responding to questions about the report, media relations manager James Tsui said installing the barriers would take until 2012 as it involved "highly complicated works including major modifications to the platform structure, ventilation system and earthing protection system".

Mr Tsui added: "The safety level in the design of trains, stations and platforms of the MTR system are all up to international standards [and] support the corporation in providing a safe and reliable railway service.

"At present, we have adequate facilities and procedures for all MTR stations to ensure platform safety. Apart from deploying platform supervisors to look after passengers' safety, we also make public announcements to remind passengers of safety issues.

"We have CCTV cameras at each station to monitor platform safety and we will enhance the overall safety awareness of passengers [by] organising ongoing publicity and education activities."

Old September 24th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #2427
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

of course -__-
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #2428
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Likes (Received): 10

it's a good thing ofcourse... i wonder when we will get these doors on our railways...

although, people can jump between stations... are there any safety measures for that?
somehow i think, people will always find a way to commit suicide... everybody has their own reasons...
Old September 30th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #2429
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Direct Interchange in Kowloon Tong, Nam Cheong and Mei Foo Stations.

MTR Press Release:
New Cross Platform Interchange Takes MTR Towards Truly Seamless Travel
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:19 AM   #2430
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJZG View Post
it's a good thing ofcourse... i wonder when we will get these doors on our railways...

although, people can jump between stations... are there any safety measures for that?
somehow i think, people will always find a way to commit suicide... everybody has their own reasons...
I think the rationale for MTR was that most of the suicides involved impulsive behaviour by mentally unbalanced people. Therefore, safety doors would effectively prevent the behaviour from ending the lives of such people.
Old October 1st, 2008, 07:10 AM   #2431
Scion

Likes (Received): 4635

Not to mention the delays it can cause
Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:58 AM   #2432
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Any video clips of the MTR episodes on Jade TVB?
Old October 8th, 2008, 04:23 AM   #2433
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

MTR Press Release:
International Award Names MTR Annual Report 2007 Best Design in Hong Kong
Old October 8th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #2434
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Subway plan takes the lead at Happy Valley

Bonnie Chen
The Standard
Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The government is considering building a subway instead of an MTR station to link Happy Valley to Causeway Bay, a source said.
MTR Corp, according to the source, is likely to give up the idea of a station at the racecourse because the government believes it is better to link Happy Valley to popular areas in Causeway Bay, such as Times Square and Victoria Park, through a subway system.

The subway plan also includes building a mall.

"It is technically more viable to do so," said the source, who explained that if the MTRC was to build a station at the racecourse, the railway would have to pass through narrow Wong Nei Chung Road.

"We would need to block one lane for construction and keep the other open for traffic."

The new plan is also more economically sound, the source said, because it is easier to build a subway than a railway.

As well as generating revenue from shops through rentals, the project would give Happy Valley residents easier access to Causeway Bay.

The government has allotted HK$7 billion to building the South Island Line, which will link Aberdeen with Admiralty.

However, it will not pass through Happy Valley despite a request from the Hong Kong Jockey Club.

The club is not keen to pay HK$1.3 billion for a station at the racecourse.

It will take only nine minutes to travel from South Horizons in Ap Lei Chau to Admiralty when the line is completed in 2015, but 11.5 minutes if it were to pass through Happy Valley.

The railway would have to be extended from seven to nine kilometers.

The government believes the 19,000 people living in Happy Valley by 2016 will not need an MTR link.

Happy Valley residents have yet to reach a consensus over the building of an MTR station.

While some favor it because of convenience, others do not want to be put out by the construction.

Old October 8th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #2435
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

How many people walk between Happy Valley and CWB today?

I still believe the main purpose for Happy Valley station is to move people in and out of the area as quick as possible when there is an event at the racecourse, and so that no roadways have to be closed. It is not necessarily just for the 19,000 resident.

Having a subway between HV and CWB isn't going to solve the traffic congestion problem on Leighton Rd, Canal Rd and Wong Nai Chung Rd on a daily or on event(weekly) basis.

If the Happy Valley station is out, don't even brother wasting the money to build a subway.

p.s. Subway = Underground Pedestrian Walkway, not the American's/NY's term for underground heavy rail.
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #2436
Scion

Likes (Received): 4635

Maybe they'll put in several travelator in the subway so the people can be moved more quickly...still, a subway tunnel is better than nothing
Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #2437
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

It would be cool if they had an APM of some sort as a connection. If they build an MTR station, I agree that it should be bypassed on non-race days, like it is on the KCR.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #2438
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

If it ever happens, I am sure there will be APM.
Walking from Happy Valley to the actually CWB platforms (not the closest access point at Times Square), is like walking from Central to Admiralty.
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #2439
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
Maybe they'll put in several travelator in the subway so the people can be moved more quickly...still, a subway tunnel is better than nothing
If this plan is put in effect, what we will be seeing here is something similar to the subway connecting the TST station with TST east.

Old October 10th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #2440
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7 View Post
I think the rationale for MTR was that most of the suicides involved impulsive behaviour by mentally unbalanced people. Therefore, safety doors would effectively prevent the behaviour from ending the lives of such people.
In some cities they dont even talk about suicides in the metro for fear of encouraging people to commit suicide.

HK at least is acknowledging the problem and doing something about it. But safety doors are only part of the solution.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hongkong, metro