daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #2441
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
If this plan is put in effect, what we will be seeing here is something similar to the subway connecting the TST station with TST east.
Or Central Island Line/HK Station connector! Think there was some pic a while ago here illustrating what rush hour looked like.

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #2442
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post
In some cities they dont even talk about suicides in the metro for fear of encouraging people to commit suicide.

HK at least is acknowledging the problem and doing something about it. But safety doors are only part of the solution.

Cheers, m
I really like the displays in Singapore MRT stations without safety doors to prevent suicide: "value your life, act reponsibly". It sounds so chinese to me..
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #2443
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
Or Central Island Line/HK Station connector! Think there was some pic a while ago here illustrating what rush hour looked like.
Once its operational, there will be a larger flow of pedestrian traffic from Causeway Bay to Happy Valley on a regular day. Much more if there's a race going on

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #2444
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18177

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Once its operational, there will be a larger flow of pedestrian traffic from Causeway Bay to Happy Valley on a regular day. Much more if there's a race going on
Don't agree. Happy Valley is an upper-class residential area. The flow of pedestrians to CWB is low, and there is very little reason why people who frequent CWB will need to make a side-trip to Happy Valley. There's nothing there to entice them to do so.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #2445
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

And the tram is only $2... who wants to walk that far from CWB to Happy Valley?
Most Happy Valley don't originate or destinate on Wong Nai Chung Road as well, it's more up on the hill.
Old October 16th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #2446
hkskyline
Hong Kong

^ Yes, and those can easily afford a taxi downhill.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:03 PM   #2447
hkskyline
Hong Kong

MTR hopes to end confusion by removing disused turnstiles
21 October 2008
South China Morning Post

Rail users' confusion about where to go when switching between former KCR lines and MTR services should come to an end this week when it begins dismantling the turnstiles passengers used to have to pass through.

They were turned off on September 28, when the MTR integrated the formerly separate charging systems, but since then thousands of passengers switching between lines have become confused and accidentally exited stations.

The MTR Corp has handed out more than 2,000 free single-journey tickets to transit passengers who made that mistake.

However, general manager Miranda Leung Chan Chi-ming said the situation was improving. "Passengers were not used to the changeover when it was first introduced, but they adapted quickly."

Mrs Leung said the number mistakenly exiting stations quickly fell from 700 on the first day to between 100 and 200 a day.

Operations head Wilfred Lau Cheuk-man said the removal over the next three weeks of the turnstiles at the Kowloon Tong, Mei Foo and Nam Cheong stations would not cause chaos.

"The passageways between lines will be much more spacious after the work," he said. "Passengers should remember to follow the yellow signs when switching trains and the green signs when leaving the station."

A hundred and fifty staff in green and yellow will be at the three stations to answer commuters' queries and help them get where they need to go. The MTR Corp has also notified schools, businesses and people living near Kowloon Tong station about the new arrangements.

Part of the station concourse previously accessible to the public is now open only to passengers, preventing pedestrians using it as an underground walkway between buildings. Hundreds of schoolchildren had used it every day to avoid having to cross major roads. The MTR Corp is publicising other ways for them to get where they want to go without having to cross roads.

A single charging system allows the 200,000 people a day travelling on single-journey tickets to benefit from fare concessions the nearly 3.5 million Octopus card users have been enjoying for a year after the MTR Corporation took over the running of the Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation's rail operations.

Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:50 AM   #2448
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Discrimination claim over fares for disabled
21 October 2008
South China Morning Post

Groups pushing for discounted fares for the disabled on public transport filed a discrimination complaint with the Equal Opportunities Commission yesterday.

The complaint follows the decision to expand half-price fares for students to all stations on the MTR network, including East Rail and West Rail.

The groups said that both the MTR Corporation and the government had been unresponsive to calls for similar 50 per cent discounts for the disabled.

About 20 representatives from concern group Half-Fare in Public Transport for People with Disability protested at the commission's offices in Taikoo Shing.

Group convener Allen Chan Kam-yuen said the commission had opened a file for the complaint and would start investigations shortly.

An MTR Corp spokeswoman said the company would continue to invest in facilities for the disabled but dismissed the possibility of a price cut, saying the government already provided ample transportation subsidies.

Old October 22nd, 2008, 07:40 AM   #2449
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Likes (Received): 10

i'm not sure i know what is turnstile...
Old October 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM   #2450
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJZG View Post
i'm not sure i know what is turnstile...
It's a gate that lets people in and out of the paid areas. Insert your ticket / wave your smart card, and it lets you through. We don't use the honour system on the train network (except light rail).

This is the wider version for disabled passengers / those with luggage.

Source : http://www.pbase.com/specialteam/

Old October 22nd, 2008, 09:42 AM   #2451
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I don't agree that PSDs can do much to prevent suicides in general. It shifts the problem to somewhere else. Sure, people won't jump onto the tracks, so they'll jump off pedestrian bridges and out of their windows instead. If they're so determined to die, they'll find a way to go splat.

Jilted woman dies in MTR suicide leap
16 October 2008
Hong Kong Standard

A well-dressed woman apparently jumped to her death in front of a moving train at Kowloon Tong station yesterday, sparking new calls for the MTR Corp to quickly install platform screen doors at all stations.

A note in the handbag of Leung Yu-yin, 26, suggested she was despressed after her boyfriend ended their relationship.

The boyfriend, also 26, is believed to have taken the train to work from Kowloon Tong every day.

According to a witness, Leung was seen walking at the end of the station about 9 am when she dropped her handbag and notebook and jumped into the path of an approaching train.

Train services on the East Rail line between Mong Kok East and East Tsim Sha Tsui were interrupted for more than 30 minutes and a shuttle bus service was laid on for more than 2,300 affected commuters.

A police source said it was possible Leung had gone to Kowloon Tong station hoping to meet her boyfriend who lives in Tai Wai. Leung lived in Tsing Yi with her family.

Her distraught family had to be comforted when they arrived at the scene.

Paul Yip Siu-fai, director of the University of Hong Kong's suicide research and prevention center, renewed his call for the MTRC to speed up thew installation of platform screen doors at all stations.

His latest study shows platform screen doors can help lower the suicide rate on railway lines.

The study showed the number of people jumping to their deaths in front of trains annually has dropped from 10.2 to 4.4 in the five years since the MTR started installing barriers.

Yip, who is also a social worker and social administration professor at the university, said installing barriers not only helped lower suicide rates, but also protects those who might fall from platforms accidentally, especially at busy stations.

The MTRC has said it would take four more years to complete the fitting of the screen doors at the remaining stations.

Old October 22nd, 2008, 01:01 PM   #2452
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Gov't Press Release:
LCQ6: Fare concessions provided by MTRCL
Old October 22nd, 2008, 09:17 PM   #2453
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Discrimination claim over fares for disabled
21 October 2008
South China Morning Post

Groups pushing for discounted fares for the disabled on public transport filed a discrimination complaint with the Equal Opportunities Commission yesterday.

The complaint follows the decision to expand half-price fares for students to all stations on the MTR network, including East Rail and West Rail.

The groups said that both the MTR Corporation and the government had been unresponsive to calls for similar 50 per cent discounts for the disabled.

About 20 representatives from concern group Half-Fare in Public Transport for People with Disability protested at the commission's offices in Taikoo Shing.

Group convener Allen Chan Kam-yuen said the commission had opened a file for the complaint and would start investigations shortly.

An MTR Corp spokeswoman said the company would continue to invest in facilities for the disabled but dismissed the possibility of a price cut, saying the government already provided ample transportation subsidies.
I'm not sure I get this... They say they want equal oppurtunities yet they want to pay less for their fares? Isn't the MTR already fully accessible for the disabled? How is suing a company going to give them spare cash to lower fares for the disabled?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:10 AM   #2454
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
I'm not sure I get this... They say they want equal oppurtunities yet they want to pay less for their fares? Isn't the MTR already fully accessible for the disabled? How is suing a company going to give them spare cash to lower fares for the disabled?
Equal opportunity is having the possibility/ability to get the same job for the same pay and have the same respect as someone who is not disabled. However, very often a disability takes a chunk out of a disabled person's budget, and they deserve a compensation for it in order for them to continue to be able to work for the equal opportunity provided to them.

Quote:
I don't agree that PSDs can do much to prevent suicides in general. It shifts the problem to somewhere else. Sure, people won't jump onto the tracks, so they'll jump off pedestrian bridges and out of their windows instead. If they're so determined to die, they'll find a way to go splat.

Jilted woman dies in MTR suicide leap
16 October 2008
Hong Kong Standard
Perhaps we should focus on why people are committing suicide and also invest in suicide help/outreach programs...
And here in NYC there hasn't been a train related suicide in at least 5 years and we have a pop. of 1M more...although ppl in HK probably face more stress.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:28 AM   #2455
hkskyline
Hong Kong

^ I thought in some places these suicides are not reported fearing others will follow in their footsteps?

Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:40 PM   #2456
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
^ I thought in some places these suicides are not reported fearing others will follow in their footsteps?
Maybe in a totalitarian state would there be selective reporting, but there are always witnesses and news crews who report events in the subway.
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #2457
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Equal opportunity is having the possibility/ability to get the same job for the same pay and have the same respect as someone who is not disabled. However, very often a disability takes a chunk out of a disabled person's budget, and they deserve a compensation for it in order for them to continue to be able to work for the equal opportunity provided to them.
Why should such a compensation come from a reduction in their MTR fare though? That aside, I find this to be a totally ridiculous and illogical argument to begin with anyway.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #2458
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Why should such a compensation come from a reduction in their MTR fare though? That aside, I find this to be a totally ridiculous and illogical argument to begin with anyway.
Which argument...the one about why disabled people should get compensation and equal opportunity, or that the MTR should let them ride for a lower fare?

But in any case, the MTR is pretty well disabled-friendly with working elevators and escalators at every stop, tactile tiles/escalator sounds...etc.
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #2459
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

That disabled people should get compensation. Equal opportunity? Yes, special helping programs, yes, but not financial compensation. It's like helping poor people for being poor.

I'm not saying that it's not inadvisable in a perfect world, but the truth is far too many people abuse these benefits that society provides them with, which causes me to lose faith in it.

But, this is probably expected from me since I find things like affirmative action, etc to be completely bs. I can see the reasoning behind it, but it feels like everyday the society at large have to pay to support more and more people, some deservedly so, but many not so.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #2460
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
I thought this was a given. Facilities such as wheelchairs come from the health service, all buildings should be accessible, hence equal oppurtunities...
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hongkong, metro