daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #2601
hkth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,404
Likes (Received): 25

MTR Press Release:
MTR Wins HKAEE Silver Award for Environmental Excellence
__________________
A Hong Kong Guy who was born in HK!
hkth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #2602
herenthere
I♥H.K.
 
herenthere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC/紐約市/Nueva York
Posts: 427
Likes (Received): 70

Just finished watching the 1990 MTR videos...wow I envy it more than ever...and what's MTR doing for its 30th anniversary later this year?
__________________
Proponent of Mass Transit, Livable Streets, and Progressive Politics
herenthere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #2603
herenthere
I♥H.K.
 
herenthere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC/紐約市/Nueva York
Posts: 427
Likes (Received): 70

MTR featured in a US TV Show!

On this Sunday's CBS' American action show "The Unit", two of the main characters, Jonas and Bob, (who work for a secret branch of the US Army) go to Hong Kong to steal Chinese secrets. To leave the area, they take the MTR, which Jonas says,
"Hong Kong MTR. It's the best subway system in the world. You can use cell phones down here, you can even watch television. Our country still has a few things to learn."

"There have only been two delays on this subway system since they built it." -is this true?

Talking to an MTR official on the train: "With such a difficult job, the responsibility, the customer service."

And it was amazing how they actually had mostly authentic details, like:
- MTR in-train stickers (the ones that say please give your seat to the elderly... with the ho-day), and map, etc.
- The grab poles were covered with the red grip stuff.

The unreal stuff included:
- The train, which definitely was not MTR-stock (and what train's doors fold out to open?).
- When descending on stairs from the surface into "Central" station, Jonas says, "Island line should be here in 5...4..." and the sound of a train arriving is heard. Of course, this isn't possible b/c trains are not that close to the ground level.
- They mention that there is an armed transit cop on every train-is that true?
- When the train comes to an emergency stop, a British passenger who understands Cantonese says, "Suicide jumper at the next station. The whole line will be shut down." - Not possible on the island line near Central!
- The train cars are not articulated (there's a door in btwn cars.)
- When the train starts up again, they reverse direction to go back to Central. However, when the first in-train scene begins, the train's operator manually announces that "The next stop is Heng Fa Chuen."

Anyone think MTR paid for all this advertisement? And at one point, a higher-ranking MTR employee helps Bob, a diabetic, by doing some acupuncture=great that they put that in!

Watch it here:
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/the_uni...play=true&cc=0

Screenshots:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...R_theunit1.png
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...R_theunit2.png
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...R_theunit3.png
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...R_theunit4.png
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...R_theunit5.png
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...R_theunit6.png
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...R_theunit7.png
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...R_theunit8.png
__________________
Proponent of Mass Transit, Livable Streets, and Progressive Politics
herenthere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #2604
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,891
Likes (Received): 18161

I think there have been more than 2 delay incidents.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:07 PM   #2605
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,891
Likes (Received): 18161

商場及港鐵加強消毒
30 April 2009
太陽報

【太陽報專訊】豬流感疫情逼近,本港多個商場及公共運輸機構已加強消毒及防疫措施,預防流感散播。港府亦呼籲市民要加倍注意3生,建議市民打噴嚏或咳嗽時應掩?口鼻,有呼吸道感染徵狀或發燒時,應戴口罩並及早求醫,若出現流感徵狀,切勿上班或上學。因應豬流感疫情肆虐,領匯旗下百多個物業,包括商場、街市及停車場,均實施一系列加強公眾3生的措施,如在商場主要出入口設置消毒地氈,每小時噴灑消毒液;全面提升物業設施清潔工作,包括加緊清潔通風系統隔塵網、座椅、升降機按鈕,以及重點加強清潔鮮活街市等。

另外,港鐵亦加強系統的清潔及防禦措施,列車車廂已由每三天清洗一次,加強至每日使用一比九十九漂白水清洗一次。而在行車時間內,清潔工人每四小時便會以一比九十九漂白水清洗車站內如扶手電梯、售票機、出入閘機等設施。車站員工上班前亦需先量度體溫,以確保他們的健康狀況及適合上班工作。新渡輪及新渡輪(澳門)亦會每日最少一次以稀釋漂白水清潔船艙,並加強清潔及維修船上通風系統,又設立員工內部預報機制,加強防範。噴射飛航亦由今日起,進一步加強船艙及客戶服務部門的清潔3生。
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:54 PM   #2606
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...
 
gladisimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SF, FC, HK
Posts: 2,525
Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
On this Sunday's CBS' American action show "The Unit", two of the main characters, Jonas and Bob, (who work for a secret branch of the US Army) go to Hong Kong to steal Chinese secrets. To leave the area, they take the MTR, which Jonas says,
"Hong Kong MTR. It's the best subway system in the world. You can use cell phones down here, you can even watch television. Our country still has a few things to learn."

"There have only been two delays on this subway system since they built it." -is this true?

Talking to an MTR official on the train: "With such a difficult job, the responsibility, the customer service."

And it was amazing how they actually had mostly authentic details, like:
- MTR in-train stickers (the ones that say please give your seat to the elderly... with the ho-day), and map, etc.
- The grab poles were covered with the red grip stuff.

The unreal stuff included:
- The train, which definitely was not MTR-stock (and what train's doors fold out to open?).
- When descending on stairs from the surface into "Central" station, Jonas says, "Island line should be here in 5...4..." and the sound of a train arriving is heard. Of course, this isn't possible b/c trains are not that close to the ground level.
- They mention that there is an armed transit cop on every train-is that true?
- When the train comes to an emergency stop, a British passenger who understands Cantonese says, "Suicide jumper at the next station. The whole line will be shut down." - Not possible on the island line near Central!
- The train cars are not articulated (there's a door in btwn cars.)
- When the train starts up again, they reverse direction to go back to Central. However, when the first in-train scene begins, the train's operator manually announces that "The next stop is Heng Fa Chuen."

Anyone think MTR paid for all this advertisement? And at one point, a higher-ranking MTR employee helps Bob, a diabetic, by doing some acupuncture=great that they put that in!
Thanks for that, I found it interesting, some interesting faults found on the TV show itself (and really teaches you a lesson about American portrayal of world cities, especially on lower budget productions like a tv show)

-The stock shot of HK is OLD! It didn't even have the Center in it.
-The shot immediately following is of a dodge (?) van (ever seen one in HK?) with clearly just one plate. The van was also left hand drive. 生物公害遏制 is not what hkers would write. Not impossible but unlikely
-They seem to use a generic ship's horn for the Star Ferry. Never heard the Star Ferry use their horn, dunno if that's how they sound like

Regarding the trains:

-I've never heard the nasty screeching noise of the brakes or the wheels against the rails from outside the train in HK, it's always the whoom whoom noise
-Nothing in the island line has seats that run perpendicular to the length of the train
-No ding dong noise in hk mtr trains
-Awful lot of white people!
-Emergency stop = flickering lights?
-Havent seen those doors in HK since they were on buses 10 years ago!
-Did they have to add military in front of police? Make HK sound like American stereotypical img of China
-Haha, customer service, kids, bribery, old tricks
-lol, i cant stop thinking how ridiculous the plot is...
__________________
I left my <3 in HK

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM   #2607
Rachmaninov
Registered User
 
Rachmaninov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Posts: 3,188
Likes (Received): 24

Uh! I couldn't watch it!
__________________
Rachmaninov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM   #2608
EricIsHim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,397
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Thanks for that, I found it interesting, some interesting faults found on the TV show itself (and really teaches you a lesson about American portrayal of world cities, especially on lower budget productions like a tv show)

-The stock shot of HK is OLD! It didn't even have the Center in it.
-The shot immediately following is of a dodge (?) van (ever seen one in HK?) with clearly just one plate. The van was also left hand drive. 生物公害遏制 is not what hkers would write. Not impossible but unlikely
-They seem to use a generic ship's horn for the Star Ferry. Never heard the Star Ferry use their horn, dunno if that's how they sound like

Regarding the trains:

-I've never heard the nasty screeching noise of the brakes or the wheels against the rails from outside the train in HK, it's always the whoom whoom noise
-Nothing in the island line has seats that run perpendicular to the length of the train
-No ding dong noise in hk mtr trains
-Awful lot of white people!
-Emergency stop = flickering lights?
-Havent seen those doors in HK since they were on buses 10 years ago!
-Did they have to add military in front of police? Make HK sound like American stereotypical img of China
-Haha, customer service, kids, bribery, old tricks
-lol, i cant stop thinking how ridiculous the plot is...
Even as simple as the word "subway" being posted, it means pedestrian underground walk, not the train system. Cars drive on the left in the episode, HK drives on the right. Words are in simplified Chinese, HK is traditional. Central is no "Grand Central" or "Union Station," it is no train terminal for all trains. And many more on top of we have said here.

I just can't stop laughing after seeing how CBS tried to replicate the Hong Kong scene in a totally nonsense unrealistic incorrect way. TVB can do a better job than them. It's just completely flaw in the background.

The only thing that's right, they have the correct version of MTR system maps. But I just wonder did CBS asked MTR for the franchise.
__________________
EricIsHim
My PhotoBucket
EricIsHim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #2609
herenthere
I♥H.K.
 
herenthere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC/紐約市/Nueva York
Posts: 427
Likes (Received): 70

I am glad to hear that there are others who are upset about this, but of course, we must always keep in mind that this is just a TV show, obviously they would not fly the entire cast+crew to HK, and that (probably) most of their audience would not even know the differences that we have noticed. Just like how railfans will find some aspects of the American film "Taking of Pelham 1-2-3" remake this year to be somewhat inaccurate...

Wouldn't it be awesome if someone from MTR/HK/CBS read this posts and were like...hmm maybe we can use these forumers to help us in a future fake-Hong Kong shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Thanks for that, I found it interesting, some interesting faults found on the TV show itself (and really teaches you a lesson about American portrayal of world cities, especially on lower budget productions like a tv show)

-The stock shot of HK is OLD! It didn't even have the Center in it.
-The shot immediately following is of a dodge (?) van (ever seen one in HK?) with clearly just one plate. The van was also left hand drive. 生物公害遏制 is not what hkers would write. Not impossible but unlikely
-They seem to use a generic ship's horn for the Star Ferry. Never heard the Star Ferry use their horn, dunno if that's how they sound like

Regarding the trains:

-I've never heard the nasty screeching noise of the brakes or the wheels against the rails from outside the train in HK, it's always the whoom whoom noise
-Nothing in the island line has seats that run perpendicular to the length of the train
-No ding dong noise in hk mtr trains
-Awful lot of white people!
-Emergency stop = flickering lights?
-Havent seen those doors in HK since they were on buses 10 years ago!
-Did they have to add military in front of police? Make HK sound like American stereotypical img of China
-Haha, customer service, kids, bribery, old tricks
-lol, i cant stop thinking how ridiculous the plot is...
They don't even have IFC in it, although it looks like it is in construction.
Yes, they are assuming that the platform is close enough to the surface to have sounds.
The train doors makes it look more like it is a tram, like Toronto's TTC red trams!
I guess the emergency stop was caused by the "government" cutting power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov View Post
Uh! I couldn't watch it!
Incorrect region?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
Even as simple as the word "subway" being posted, it means pedestrian underground walk, not the train system. Cars drive on the left in the episode, HK drives on the right. Words are in simplified Chinese, HK is traditional. Central is no "Grand Central" or "Union Station," it is no train terminal for all trains. And many more on top of we have said here.

I just can't stop laughing after seeing how CBS tried to replicate the Hong Kong scene in a totally nonsense unrealistic incorrect way. TVB can do a better job than them. It's just completely flaw in the background.

The only thing that's right, they have the correct version of MTR system maps. But I just wonder did CBS asked MTR for the franchise.
They said that Central was "Grand Central"?
Well, TVB would have the big advantage of probably being able to directly shoot there. But I can say one thing for sure: TVB would NEVER be able to replicate NYC's subway station...it's too old and dirty for someone in HK to imagine that would be present these days.

Yeah, I was wondering originally if CBS paid MTR for the use of some realistic signage/maps and of course, the LOGO.

Will keep everyone posted if I catch some other MTR thing...unlikely though.
__________________
Proponent of Mass Transit, Livable Streets, and Progressive Politics
herenthere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #2610
EricIsHim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,397
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
Incorrect region?
That's probably the case. Just like we can't watch the shows on TVB website from overseas.


Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
They said that Central was "Grand Central"?
Well, TVB would have the big advantage of probably being able to directly shoot there. But I can say one thing for sure: TVB would NEVER be able to replicate NYC's subway station...it's too old and dirty for someone in HK to imagine that would be present these days.

Yeah, I was wondering originally if CBS paid MTR for the use of some realistic signage/maps and of course, the LOGO.

Will keep everyone posted if I catch some other MTR thing...unlikely though.
At one point, the script mentioned "they are bringing all trains back to Central" which to my understand sounds like bringing all trains back to a terminal like the Grand Central where is a true train terminal with numbers of platforms. How many terminus platforms are there in Central in reality? Six, two for the Tsuen Wan Line, two for Airport Express and two for the Tung Chung Line.

Even so, TVB actually bring the whole crews out there for foreign outdoor scenes,. They have been to Italy, Australia, Japan, Korea, Canada, USA, Singapore and China etc. in the past few years. At least TVB doesn't fake the watchers.
__________________
EricIsHim
My PhotoBucket
EricIsHim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #2611
Skybean
天豆
 
Skybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,937
Likes (Received): 271

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/prasenb...7617332104267/
__________________
My Photos」 ● Hong Kong 1|2|3 ● Macau 1 ● London 1 ● New York City 1
Photo Threads」 ● Flying Over Hong KongCity Life Series」 ● Hong KongShanghaiSeoulTokyo
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #2612
Shezan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The 80s
Posts: 16,216
Likes (Received): 593

Wan Chai area
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #2613
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,891
Likes (Received): 18161

A grumpy MTR Train Uncle loses control and creates another YouTube sensation
25 April 2009
South China Morning Post

First there was Bus Uncle, now it's MTR Train Uncle. But at least Bus Uncle picked on someone his own size, which is not quite the case with our latest villain.

The most popular local YouTube video clip of the past few days has been one featuring an elderly man cursing a toddler and his mother in a crowded train on its way from University Station to Tai Po Market. It has registered more than 70,000 viewings since Wednesday.

The man was first provoked into a tirade when the woman apparently sneezed without covering her mouth.

But he just went out of control after he claimed the boy's toy car hit his head. Train Uncle let fly with a stream of invective and foul language, most of which is not printable in a family newspaper. Fellow passengers were clearly disgusted and made critical remarks. He told everyone to shut up and took out a tissue to demonstrate how one should blow one's nose. "This is how you do it - with manners," he said.

Only in Hong Kong!
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #2614
Skybean
天豆
 
Skybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,937
Likes (Received): 271


__________________
My Photos」 ● Hong Kong 1|2|3 ● Macau 1 ● London 1 ● New York City 1
Photo Threads」 ● Flying Over Hong KongCity Life Series」 ● Hong KongShanghaiSeoulTokyo
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #2615
herenthere
I♥H.K.
 
herenthere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC/紐約市/Nueva York
Posts: 427
Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
Even as simple as the word "subway" being posted, it means pedestrian underground walk, not the train system.
After looking back at my screenshots, I noticed that instead of "中環" being above Central Station, it instead has 2 really messy characters. (2nd pic from my orig post btw)
__________________
Proponent of Mass Transit, Livable Streets, and Progressive Politics
herenthere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:29 AM   #2616
sfgadv02
Registered User
 
sfgadv02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NY/HK
Posts: 755
Likes (Received): 44

Honestly, I think that "bus uncle" is still the best.
If he does have manner, he wouldn't have cursed in front of the public like that.
__________________
// Oh the IRONY!11! \\
sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #2617
EricIsHim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,397
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
After looking back at my screenshots, I noticed that instead of "中環" being above Central Station, it instead has 2 really messy characters. (2nd pic from my orig post btw)
it's "總站" (terminal.)
if you read the other one "Island Line MTR Station," it says 島線地鐵站; which is translated correctly form word to word, but we all know it really means 港島線.
we have heard a lot about "chin-glish," can we call this "eng-inese"
__________________
EricIsHim
My PhotoBucket
EricIsHim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #2618
EricIsHim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,397
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgadv02 View Post
Honestly, I think that "bus uncle" is still the best.
If he does have manner, he wouldn't have cursed in front of the public like that.
this "train uncle" is just mouth of foul languages, but no gimmick: "you have pressure, i have pressure."
this video has to be rated like above "R" in NA standard or "III" in HK standard.
i do think he isn't not a local hker, doesn't sound or look like it.
__________________
EricIsHim
My PhotoBucket
EricIsHim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #2619
sfgadv02
Registered User
 
sfgadv02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NY/HK
Posts: 755
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
this "train uncle" is just mouth of foul languages, but no gimmick: "you have pressure, i have pressure."
this video has to be rated like above "R" in NA standard or "III" in HK standard.
i do think he isn't not a local hker, doesn't sound or look like it.
That's what I thought as well, his mando is actually pretty good for a HK-er.
__________________
// Oh the IRONY!11! \\
sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #2620
HSBC
HSBC
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 227
Likes (Received): 14

I'm quite surprised that only 1 person came out and talked straight to his face. That person who eventually sit near him, seems to be someone he knows. As he said " I'm 31 years old than you!" Also, the way that man talked to him like " Don't be so agitated man!", just like coming from a relative.
I hate this kind of men who insult/hit women and children in the public. I know there is a tension of spreading flu in public places, but there is no excuse for this kind of behaviour. If I were there, I would have pinned him down on the floor. That young little boy is so innocent

Hong Kong people still have this common general selfish mentality that "It doesn't matter what it is, it is better stay out of business, and then you will be alright", not many people have the heart to go all the way to help people.

Last edited by HSBC; May 11th, 2009 at 06:50 PM.
HSBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
hongkong, metro

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium