daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #2661
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

MTR ambassador army smooths Lohas line
The Standard
Monday, July 20, 2009

An army of 400 MTR ambassadors were on duty this morning to help passengers on the Tseung Kwan O line as trials on the Lohas Park station spur line began.

Also helping to avoid confusion were new LCD monitors on the Po Lam or Lohas Park-bound platforms at North Point and Tseung Kwan O stations to display the destination of each arriving train, MTR head of operations Choi Tak- tsan said.

The frequency of trains between Po Lam and North Point has been reduced to 18 an hour from 22, Choi said.

The new southern spur line from Tseung Kwan O to Lohas Park, formerly known as Dream City, will be officially launched on July 26.

During rush hours - 7.30am to 9.30am and 5.30pm to 7.30pm - trains between Po Lam and North Point will run more frequently.

Choi said passengers boarding at Po Lam station may have to wait five minutes for a train.

In non-peak hours, there will be shuttle trains every 12 minutes between Tseung Kwan O and Tiu Keng Leng stations, which will be extended to Lohas Park after the full launch.

The operations manager also advised passengers to leave home earlier to take the train.

Between July 20 and August 14, passengers at Po Lam and Hang Hau stations before 8am from Monday to Friday can get a bonus point when using Octopus cards.

Those accumulating five points will receive a HK$10 MTR shopping coupon.

Stelly Wong, who lives near Tseung Kwan O station, said the new schedule would mean leaving home 10 minutes earlier to get to her office in Admiralty.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:41 AM   #2662
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
MTR ambassador army smooths Lohas line
The Standard
Monday, July 20, 2009

The frequency of trains between Po Lam and North Point has been reduced to 18 an hour from 22, Choi said.

Choi said passengers boarding at Po Lam station may have to wait five minutes for a train.
5 minutes is something to dream about on pretty much every other line except for the 7 train during rush hours here in NYC, but in HK it seems like forever, esp. if it's someone in the CBD.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:00 PM   #2663
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
5 minutes is something to dream about on pretty much every other line except for the 7 train during rush hours here in NYC, but in HK it seems like forever, esp. if it's someone in the CBD.
Recently, I stood at the smelly, hot, dirty, dark, noisy...... (any negative word you can think of...) platform, steered at the big fat rats chasing around the rails, hopping over soda cans, for 20-25 minutes for the 6 train to come in Manhattan on a Saturday late afternoon. After 10 minutes, I started to ask myself is the service operating??

Although it is something new to HK for the major line to have two lines run to two different termini on a same platform, but there are so many station instant information to remind you where is the next train going, flat screen TV, announcement, MTR representatives, and people start complain it's too confusing and like it's end of the world. In NYC, two three four different trains stop at the same platform, no flat screen TV, no announcements, no representatives, barely find yourself on which train inside the train. People just need time to learn about the system and get use to it. If you take the wrong train, it's only a 2.5 minutes wait at TKO to get back on the right one. Be cool.

HKers are so spoiled!!!!!!!
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:44 PM   #2664
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Actually, East Rail has been running trains on the same line to Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau for some time. It just needs some adjustment among the passengers. 5 minute frequency once every few trains isn't too bad.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:48 AM   #2665
ISO25600
Keitai Otaku

Likes (Received): 0

The new dual terminals was in planning for ages. Finally they did it. Again 1 in four trains isn't bad. MTR service is generally quick. As for the time savings or losses I would have to travel back to HK to figure that out. But at a regular interval, that beats Toronto by a longshot!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 03:38 AM   #2666
EricIsHim

Quote:
Actually, East Rail has been running trains on the same line to Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau for some time. It just needs some adjustment among the passengers. 5 minute frequency once every few trains isn't too bad.
Ye, but it isn't as heavily used as the TKO lines.
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #2667
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
Recently, I stood at the smelly, hot, dirty, dark, noisy...... (any negative word you can think of...) platform, steered at the big fat rats chasing around the rails, hopping over soda cans, for 20-25 minutes for the 6 train to come in Manhattan on a Saturday late afternoon. After 10 minutes, I started to ask myself is the service operating??
We should meet up sometime haha.

Quote:
Although it is something new to HK for the major line to have two lines run to two different termini on a same platform, but there are so many station instant information to remind you where is the next train going, flat screen TV, announcement, MTR representatives, and people start complain it's too confusing and like it's end of the world. In NYC, two three four different trains stop at the same platform, no flat screen TV, no announcements, no representatives, barely find yourself on which train inside the train. People just need time to learn about the system and get use to it. If you take the wrong train, it's only a 2.5 minutes wait at TKO to get back on the right one. Be cool.
Hey-that's what makes New Yorkers so cranky...or "unique" lol
There are occasionally announcements, depending on which line you take. For instance, likelihood of announcements (by live people) are made on the lines I ride frequently in decreasing order: 7, 6, N/W, F.

Quote:
HKers are so spoiled!!!!!!!
Amen.
Old July 27th, 2009, 04:52 AM   #2668
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Old July 27th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #2669
hkskyline
Hong Kong

MTR station opening attracts fans and foes
27 July 2009
South China Morning Post

The opening of the Lohas Park MTR station yesterday attracted not only railway fans but also protesters and criticism.

About 20 rail enthusiasts were on hand when the first train pulled out to Tseung Kwan O station at 5.57am.

Among them was Kei Chun-on, 15, who arrived at Lohas Park station at 3.30am with four of his friends. They waited at the station entrance until it opened at 5.47am.

Chun-on said the launch was quite a big event for the MTR and he and his friends were excited to be part of history.

But not everyone is happy with the new station.

A Democratic Party survey after a trial of the so-called 3+1 service found half of the 228 passengers interviewed were not satisfied with the arrangement, and 48 per cent had found the trains more crowded.

Every fourth train on the North Point-Po Lam line will run to Lohas Park during peak hours. A shuttle train service will run between Lohas Park and Tiu Keng Leng every 12 minutes during non-peak periods.

Party member and Sai Kung district councillor Cheung Kwok-keung suggested the MTR Corporation run a train to the new station after every fourth train to Po Lam, or "4+1", so the waiting time for passengers going to Po Lam would be shortened.

The Democratic Party said it had also received complaints about guides in the station.

Two new pairs of LCD screens have been installed in each station along the Tseung Kwan O line.

The party said that was not enough for passengers to know the trains' destinations clearly, especially later when no ambassadors would be deployed on the platform to guide passengers.

Passenger Andy Chan said at Lohas Park that the 12-minute wait for a train to the station was too long, but the signs and guides were fine.

Meanwhile, about 40 villagers from Choi Yuen Tsuen, who might be evicted to make way for the express train between Guangzhou and Hong Kong, took the opportunity to protest.

They chanted slogans and distributed leaflets in their farming clothes in the Lohas Park station and then travelled to Tseung Kwan O station with their shoes off, to show they were "just kind and harmless people".

They handed a letter to a representative of the MTR Corp and demanded to talk to Secretary for Transport and Housing Eva Cheng.

The protesters said the government had been ignoring their views and they hoped their village would not be demolished because of the rail link.

An alliance of residents from MTR Corp properties also turned out, seeking lower management fees.

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #2670
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
Quote:
MTR station opening attracts fans and foes
27 July 2009
South China Morning Post

The opening of the Lohas Park MTR station yesterday attracted not only railway fans but also protesters and criticism.

A Democratic Party survey after a trial of the so-called 3+1 service found half of the 228 passengers interviewed were not satisfied with the arrangement, and 48 per cent had found the trains more crowded.
@the people who protested b/c the trains were too crowded: get a life.
People will get used to this new arrangement...although I had always praised the MTR for keeping each line separate, each train stopping at its own distinct platform to keep it simple...lol
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #2671
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
@the people who protested b/c the trains were too crowded: get a life.
People will get used to this new arrangement...although I had always praised the MTR for keeping each line separate, each train stopping at its own distinct platform to keep it simple...lol
When LOHAs is completely occupied in many years to come, its population still won't be over 100,000 people. It is not sufficient to support a single heavy rail line. The other way to go around it is to build a smaller scale rail for just a short segment to the more heavily populated area. However, in the mean time, LOHAs is the depot for TKO line, so the heavy rail does have to go in to and out of LOHAs, that would make more sense to just have trains run with Po Lam.

It's just always the big deal opposition for small things when something opens and change the way of life for the communities. The same controversy happened when TKO opened, and people complained about the reduction in bus services. They just need time to adjust the way of life.
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #2672
ISO25600
Keitai Otaku

hK's get it light. Naturally there will always be complaints, but I really see that alot of people from HK do over look how good their public transport is....

It really makes you think after riding regularly on a North American route
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #2673
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

can you post a few images of the latest MTR map, including the new rail links?

Also, I could not see the map of the kowloon southern link.

If anyone can find an image of that it would be much appreciated.

Cheers, m

w. http://transitmy.org
e. [email protected]
tw. http://twitter.com/transitmy
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRANSI...12392362108880
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #2674
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post
can you post a few images of the latest MTR map, including the new rail links?

Also, I could not see the map of the kowloon southern link.

If anyone can find an image of that it would be much appreciated.

Cheers, m
The latest addition is just 1 more station - LOHAS Park.

Kowloon Southern Link will open by end of summer / early autumn, so the maps have not yet been updated for that.

Map : http://www.mtr.com.hk/jplanner/images/maps/routemap.pdf

Old July 29th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #2675
EricIsHim

Quote:
Kowloon Southern Link will open by end of summer / early autumn, so the maps have not yet been updated for that.
Couple chinese newspaper mentioned it's opening in Aug 16, but yet to hear officially.
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #2676
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Finally confirmed! August 16!
MTR Press Release:
Kowloon Southern Link Opens on 16 August
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #2677
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Wow .. so fast .. in about 3 weeks?

So will K16 go? Have to take more photos of those buses!

Old July 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #2678
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

I've been on the TKO line and it's really nothing compared to the trunk lines like the Tsuen Wan line. I do sympathize with those that got on the wrong train, though, it does get a little confusing. When I first looked at the map for Lohas Park I was curious how MTR was going to do it. It is quite inconvenient for Hong Kong standards, but having exprience with BART, I can say it's nothing major at all.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #2679
City's Architect
City's Architect

I've been on the East Rail line today and noticed the couple of the announcements have changed to the typical MTR Island Line format.

For example:
Instead of "The next station is Kowloon Tong", now the announcement is "Next Station Kowloon Tong"
Instead of "Please alight on the left", now the annoucement is "The door on the leftside will open"
Instead of "Please mind the gap between the train and the platform", now the annoucement is "Please mind the gap"
City's Architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 02:31 AM   #2680
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City's Architect View Post
I've been on the East Rail line today and noticed the couple of the announcements have changed to the typical MTR Island Line format.

For example:
Instead of "The next station is Kowloon Tong", now the announcement is "Next Station Kowloon Tong"
Instead of "Please alight on the left", now the annoucement is "The door on the leftside will open"
Instead of "Please mind the gap between the train and the platform", now the annoucement is "Please mind the gap"
Isn't it all the lines' format?
And I thought it was "The doors will open on the left"..?

Tags
hongkong, metro