daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2009, 02:38 AM   #2681
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Wow .. so fast .. in about 3 weeks?

So will K16 go? Have to take more photos of those buses!
Route K16 will not provide provide free connections with the West Rail Line and the Tung Chung Line after Aug 16 and there will be a HK$1 concession with connecting KMB Route 12. K16 will terminate its service after 1 month opening of the Kowloon Southern Link.

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2009, 02:44 AM   #2682
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Other news from MTR, this time for the Light Rail as new LRVs produced from Nanjing are delivering to HK and they are going to put into service.

Photo Link from HKiTalk, posted by tonyng
Old July 31st, 2009, 05:26 AM   #2683
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
Isn't it all the lines' format?
And I thought it was "The doors will open on the left"..?
KCR and MTR used to have different announcement massages.
I guess MTR is now standardizing all the announcements.
Old July 31st, 2009, 08:11 AM   #2684
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

I wonder what colours the new LRVs will have.

Always something new going on in HK public transit. New rail extensions opening, and the bus operators are on a buying spree to modernise their fleets.
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:24 AM   #2685
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Does anyone have links to these new soundbytes? It's a shame the Broadcast page of USHB.net no longer exists.
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:50 PM   #2686
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18177

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7 View Post
I wonder what colours the new LRVs will have.

Always something new going on in HK public transit. New rail extensions opening, and the bus operators are on a buying spree to modernise their fleets.
KMB has been on a buying spree for about 10 years since their first golden buses appeared.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 03:20 AM   #2687
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
KMB has been on a buying spree for about 10 years since their first golden buses appeared.
Nah, KMB has been started the spree even earlier.
But it just wasn't as noticeable as the golden buses.
Old August 1st, 2009, 05:24 AM   #2688
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
I've been on the TKO line and it's really nothing compared to the trunk lines like the Tsuen Wan line. I do sympathize with those that got on the wrong train, though, it does get a little confusing. When I first looked at the map for Lohas Park I was curious how MTR was going to do it. It is quite inconvenient for Hong Kong standards, but having exprience with BART, I can say it's nothing major at all.
Can't they have an announcement over the PA system before a Lohas Park train pulls in at the platform? Something like, the next train is for Lohas Park. Or do they have that already?
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 09:07 AM   #2689
aznichiro115

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak View Post
Can't they have an announcement over the PA system before a Lohas Park train pulls in at the platform? Something like, the next train is for Lohas Park. Or do they have that already?
that had that in the past for other stations

"the train to _____ is arriving"
aznichiro115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 04:02 PM   #2690
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznichiro115 View Post
that had that in the past for other stations

"the train to _____ is arriving"

The train information has already been announced over the PA when the train arrives, with additional captain's announcement on board which you don't hear on a typical train.

Here is a clip when the train arrives at TKO for LOHAs bound:
(Between 20s and 55s)

The English part ends just after the doors open, I guess MTR could adjust the announcement to play a second or two earlier than it is now.
Old August 1st, 2009, 04:20 PM   #2691
EricIsHim

Found this by accident. A video clip about station design using new technology, follow the link to watch.

Shaping Crowd Behavior
http://usa.autodesk.com/company/buil...crowd-behavior
Old August 1st, 2009, 08:57 PM   #2692
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
The English part ends just after the doors open, I guess MTR could adjust the announcement to play a second or two earlier than it is now.
I just think it's a mess of announcements all around - it's hard to get people's attention. Maybe there should be an announcement after the closing of the doors (i.e. when train begins to move). At Tseung Kwan O, there should be an extra announcement before station arrival, with further instructions on transferring for passengers bound for Po Lam.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:07 PM   #2693
aznichiro115

Likes (Received): 13

there is atleast 4 announcement saying that train is not for Po Lam and is for LOHAS Park, im sorry but you would have to be pretty stupid not to realize your on the wrong train
aznichiro115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:55 AM   #2694
AG

Likes (Received): 545

As far as I am aware there are announcements on the platforms saying where the TKO line trains are going. On board the trains they could do better (this applies to the entire MTR) where an announcement is made once every few stops when the train is leaving the station in a similar way to how it is done in Japan. For example:

"This is a Tseung Kwan O Line train to Lohas Park."
"This is a Tseung Kwan O Line train to Tiu Keng Leng."
"This is a Kwun Tong Line train to Tiu Keng Leng."
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 05:03 AM   #2695
EricIsHim

A 2007 TV ad for MTR:
(The video is pretty creativity, and not necessary to understand the Cantonese song to get the message.)
Old August 2nd, 2009, 07:45 AM   #2696
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznichiro115 View Post
there is atleast 4 announcement saying that train is not for Po Lam and is for LOHAS Park, im sorry but you would have to be pretty stupid not to realize your on the wrong train
Tell me about it, there are announcements every time a train comes to a stop at Vancouver's SkyTrain, yet people still get mixed up.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM   #2697
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
The train information has already been announced over the PA when the train arrives, with additional captain's announcement on board which you don't hear on a typical train.

Here is a clip when the train arrives at TKO for LOHAs bound:
(Between 20s and 55s)

Well, the announcement usually finishes playing before the train arrives...so the timing must've been off in this case.
Hey! I remember that guy from the news link someone posted-he was a little too excited...and lucky he wasn't fined for drinking in the "paid area"

And how come the LED sign said "Stay on this train for Hang Hau and Po Lam"=do all trains from LOHAS go that way?
Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:03 AM   #2698
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:24 PM   #2699
StanleyJ

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
And how come the LED sign said "Stay on this train for Hang Hau and Po Lam"=do all trains from LOHAS go that way?
It looks like from LOHAS Park are trains towards North Point but ultimately end at Po Lam, probably to keep the "trunk" line frequency prior the addition of the spur line.

As a side note, I was at Kowloon Station (AEL/Tung Chung line) and they have a big display about future MTR projects, namely Shatin-Central Link, West Rail-Ma On Shan Rail link up (the n-th revision which puts the East Kowloon stations further north).

On those boards, the North Island Line (Tung Chung Line extension across Hong Kong Island plus Tseung Kwun O Line annexation of Island line) looks to still be on the cards along with the Kwun Tong Line extension down to Ho Man Tin & Whampoa. Complete with station layouts and everything thing...
StanleyJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:33 PM   #2700
tangwk

Likes (Received): 0

Great to hear about the recent opening of the LOHAS Park station, as well as the opening date of the Kowloon Southern Link.

I'm wondering if the MTR ever considered extending the Kwun Tong Line all the way to LOHAS Park (meaning 3 interchange stations together at Yau Tong, Tiu Keng Leng and Tseung Kwan O), instead of having a spur from the Tseung Kwan O Line, years before building it. It would be less confusing for the commuters, and at the same time maintaining the same frequency of the trains. It's still possible to do so now though, if MTR is willing to construct a new island platform beside the existing Tseung Kwan O station for the Kwun Tong line, then joining back the tracks towards LOHAS Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJ View Post
As a side note, I was at Kowloon Station (AEL/Tung Chung line) and they have a big display about future MTR projects, namely Shatin-Central Link, West Rail-Ma On Shan Rail link up (the n-th revision which puts the East Kowloon stations further north).

On those boards, the North Island Line (Tung Chung Line extension across Hong Kong Island plus Tseung Kwun O Line annexation of Island line) looks to still be on the cards along with the Kwun Tong Line extension down to Ho Man Tin & Whampoa. Complete with station layouts and everything thing...
Have you taken photos of them? I wanna see them, but it's impossible for me since I'm living in Singapore.
tangwk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hongkong, metro